Jets Move WR Santonio Holmes To Active Roster From PUP

JetNation

That's a good sign that they didn't let him just ride it out on the PUP until week 6.  Of course, it also seems to give support to the argument that he was milking it all in order to skip training camp.  Whatever, it's still better having him than that.

Either way, Braylon is now definitely dunzo.

Jets activate Holmes and he could be ready for season opener
  • By BRIAN COSTELLO
  • Last Updated: 7:52 PM, August 23, 2013
  • Posted: 7:51 PM, August 23, 2013
  • Jets Blog

holmes194718--525x415.jpg

Ron Antonelli

Jets wide receiver Santonio Holmes has been activated and could play in the season opener.

Tone Time has finally arrived.

The Jets moved top wide receiver Santonio Holmes to the active roster Friday night from the physically unable to perform list, meaning it is possible he will be ready for the team’s season opener against the Buccaneers on Sept. 8.

Holmes missed all of training camp as he recovered from a Lisfranc injury in his left foot that required two surgeries. Many people around the team felt Holmes was milking the injury to avoid training camp, which ended Thursday. Their suspicions seem justified with Holmes being pronounced healthy a day later. A source told The Post this week that Holmes had been cleared to begin practicing but he told the Jets he was not ready to return yet.

The Jets need Holmes, 29, who missed all but four games last year. On a team in need of wide receivers, he is one established veteran that can be a game changer if he is healthy.

It may take a while for Holmes to work himself into being game ready, but coach Rex Ryan has said repeatedly that Holmes is in good physical conditioning. Holmes downplayed how close he was to returning on Wednesday when he spoke to reporters, but it was clear watching him run in the past week that he was feeling much better.

On Thursday, he did was cutting and planting on the foot and running routes while catching footballs from trainer John Mellody.

So I have a question, if Holmes is healthy, do you force him into action against the Eagles, even if you opt to bench all of your starters (and thus, have made a QB decision prior to then)?

I don't think so. You can't "force" Holmes to do anything--he does what he wants. 

Now we get to watch him drop passes again on a regular basis!

I don't mind it so much when he drops them ... it's when he lobs them to the opposition and they run them in for 6 that really blows.

Why does everyone keep assuming this means Braylon is gone?? You have Holmes, Kerley and Hill as locks. After that what........? Gates will prob take a spot and Spadola could make it or get put on PS this yr. Depends if Jets go 5 or 6 receivers, but I don't see why Braylon doesn't make it unless Obamanu is high on their list.

Why does everyone keep assuming this means Braylon is gone?? You have Holmes, Kerley and Hill as locks. After that what........? Gates will prob take a spot and Spadola could make it or get put on PS this yr. Depends if Jets go 5 or 6 receivers, but I don't see why Braylon doesn't make it unless Obamanu is high on their list.

Gates is definitely making this squad over Braylon.  That means Braylon would be, at best, competing for the #5 spot.  An aging, past his prime vet with bad knees who doesn't play special teams is not exactly what teams look for in their #5.  The last of those probably being the real deal breaker as guys like Obomanu (who the Jets signed 4 months before they signed Braylon) and Spadola do play on ST.  Braylon was brought in as an insurance policy and if Holmes is going to be good to play early in the season (which you have to assume is the case or they'd have kept him on the PUP), that kind of negates his purpose for being here, barring any injuries in the next week and a half.

Not to mention, there's a very good chance Braylon will be sitting there waiting for the Jets if they want him at some point later in the season, so there's no reason to keep him on the opening day roster and guarantee his contract.

Gates is definitely making this squad over Braylon.  That means Braylon would be, at best, competing for the #5 spot.  An aging, past his prime vet with bad knees who doesn't play special teams is not exactly what teams look for in their #5.  The last of those probably being the real deal breaker as guys like Obomanu (who the Jets signed 4 months before they signed Braylon) and Spadola do play on ST.  Braylon was brought in as an insurance policy and if Holmes is going to be good to play early in the season (which you have to assume is the case or they'd have kept him on the PUP), that kind of negates his purpose for being here, barring any injuries in the next week and a half.

Not to mention, there's a very good chance Braylon will be sitting there waiting for the Jets if they want him at some point later in the season, so there's no reason to keep him on the opening day roster and guarantee his contract.

I agree with all of this. Jets are looking more at their future than the present, and won't risk losing a guy like Spadola to retain Braylon. Edwards is in the tenuous position of either starting, or being cut.

Holmes getting off the PUP only means the Jets think he'll be ready before the seventh game of the regular season, though, not that he'll be in the lineup opening day. So anything could still happen with Braylon.

Gates is definitely making this squad over Braylon. That means Braylon would be, at best, competing for the #5 spot. An aging, past his prime vet with bad knees who doesn't play special teams is not exactly what teams look for in their #5. The last of those probably being the real deal breaker as guys like Obomanu (who the Jets signed 4 months before they signed Braylon) and Spadola do play on ST. Braylon was brought in as an insurance policy and if Holmes is going to be good to play early in the season (which you have to assume is the case or they'd have kept him on the PUP), that kind of negates his purpose for being here, barring any injuries in the next week and a half.

I agree Gates is making it, but no one knows what he has to give( though he did look good on kick returns). I just think you can't over value what Braylon brings in the redzone which is toughness. Something Jets haven't had. Hopefully Hill can turn out that way, but I'd take Braylon for one more yr. I def want Spadola to get a shot, just not sure if active roster or PS this yr. And I can see point of cutting Braylon to resign after week 1 so he's not guaranteed. I just think until this team has a true #2 step up( whether it be Hill/Kerley/ whoever) keeping a solid Vet around isn't bad idea.

I think Gates is a liability for the most part.

A decent tool and poss KR.

But how much has this guy been hurt the last 2 yrs? I have yet to see anyone point this out.

Dont get me wrong...hope he makes it, hope he stays healthy, hope he makes big plays...but, sounds injury prone.

I don't think so. You can't "force" Holmes to do anything--he does what he wants. 

this whole thing is orchestrated by Holmes to stay healthy enough to produce in this year and get what might be his last big contract next year. It's actually good news for Jets fans. he's extremely motivated to produce

Archived