Crying Begins: Sanchez Afraid He'll Be IR'd

Lizard King

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/jets/2013/09/04/mark-sanchez-fears-injured-reserve/2761357/

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Now that rookie Geno Smith has been named the New York Jets starting quarterback for the season opener Sunday against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, a person close to ailing Mark Sanchez told USA Today Sports that the quarterback "believes the organization wants to see him placed on (injured reserve) and be done with him."

IT'S GENO: Jets name starter

The person added that Sanchez, who is nursing a shoulder injury, believes the Jets think "it makes it cleaner and easier" that way.

The person said Sanchez fears the "organization has turned its back on Mark and is prepared to move on. It is ready to start fresh with Geno."

FORMER TEAMMATE: Sanchez finished as NFL starter

RIPPING REX: Coach criticized for skipping cuts

Another person with knowledge of the situation told USA TODAY Sports that Sanchez's shoulder "is progressing and it's too early to tell if he will be placed on IR."

Both persons requested anonymity because Sanchez has not spoken publicly about his fears.

So, it appears the injury that put head coach Rex Ryan under fire might be the team's way to cut ties with Sanchez, the former first-round pick, or at least marginalize him for what is likely to be his final season with the Jets.

If placed on injured reserve, Sanchez could be lost for the season. The Jets are allowed to designate one player to return from injured reserve after Week 8, but it's unlikely that would be Sanchez, because the Jets have stockpiled quarterbacks.

They recently signed veteran Brady Quinn as a backup to rookie Geno Smith, the presumed starter. Quarterback Matt Simms also made the roster.

Ryan seemed to hedge on Sanchez's status Monday, saying, "If Mark's healthy, then, yes, I would say he'll be part of this team." Ryan added that injured reserve "is not what we're looking at right now." But he didn't rule it out.

The stumbling block to discarding Sanchez is his salary. He counts $12.9 million against the 2013 salary cap, and if he is released, he also would count $4.8 million against the cap in 2014.

The Jets could trade Sanchez, but they'd likely have to absorb most of his contract to make him marketable.

Two weeks ago, Sanchez suffered a shoulder injury in the fourth quarter of the Jets' third preseason when Ryan put Sanchez into the meaningless contest against the New York Giants.

At that point, Sanchez appeared to be the team's likely starter, because Smith had thrown three interceptions and taken an embarrassing safety against the Giants, all but handing the quarterback competition to Sanchez.

Instead, Sanchez suffered a shoulder injury on a vicious hit by defensive lineman Marvin Austin. The Jets have labeled the injury "day-to-day." That has raised questions about whether the injury is more serious than it appears or whether the Jets just want it to seem that way, so they could stash Sanchez on IR.

Smith, taken in the second round of April's draft, has endured a rocky preseason, which has included an ankle injury in his first preseason game and a practice that was called "brutal" by Ryan.

Despite the growing pains, Smith will start Sunday against the Bucs. Sanchez has not practiced, nor has he been cleared to throw.

Because of the reckless way he was used and injured and the way the quarterback competition has been handled, there is a "widening schism" between Sanchez and the Jets, the first person said.

SHARECONNECT 28TWEETCOMMENTEMAIL

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ive supported Mark this summer but the way he was handled really? If ya played like garbage for the last 2 years don't be surprised when you are out running with the garbage OL. 

It is funny how the media flipped and made it out like Joe Montana was running with the 2nd and 3rd stringers.  And as far as this being a fair competition, how can anyone judge that when Sanchez isn't healthy?

The Jets are allowed to designate one player to return from injured reserve after Week 8, but it's unlikely that would be Sanchez, because the Jets have stockpiled quarterbacks.

Lol @ Smith, Simms, and Quinn representing a "stockpile."

WRONG, I just think its funny the vitriol spread around here by people like you. Easy solution, root for someone else or another team. Don't let one player, who by the way although sucks never gets beat out by anyone else on this team, ruin the game for you.

WRONG, I just think its funny the vitriol spread around here by people like you. Easy solution, root for someone else or another team. Don't let one player, who by the way although sucks never gets beat out by anyone else on this team, ruin the game for you.

Hasn't Mark Sanchez ruined the last 2 seasons for you?  Were you even watching?  Don't question my allegiance and tell me to root for another team unlike you that thought never crosses my mind. He never got beat out because they never brought anyone in to challenge him, glad those days are gone.

You are spreading more vitriol than he is.  Suggesting people root for another team, because they acknowledge Sanchez is awful and the team's success would have been greater with a better QB, is spreading it around pretty liberally.

Hasn't Mark Sanchez ruined the last 2 seasons for you?  Were you even watching?  Don't question my allegiance and tell me to root for another team unlike you that thought never crosses my mind. He never got beat out because they never brought anyone in to challenge him, glad those days are gone.

Be serious will you. So all the QB's they have had here never had a chance because they didn't want them to succeed? BTW, I have been a Jets fans longer then you are alive, you have no idea what real pain is.

Mark Sanchez was given opportunities and chances here that no other QB would have received. The NFL is a business and the best players play. The money we are paying Mark Sanchez Is Mark Sanchez robbing this organization. Thanks for the memories Mark Sanchez.

If the best available players played Simms would be starting.  Smith has done nothing to win the starting job other then be drafted in the 2nd round

You are spreading more vitriol than he is.  Suggesting people root for another team, because they acknowledge Sanchez is awful and the team's success would have been greater with a better QB, is spreading it around pretty liberally.

What in my last statement do you disagree with? Agreed, Sanchez sucks...why can't anyone beat him out? I don't care if he roots for the Jets, but if they upset you, don't.

Be serious will you. So all the QB's they have had here never had a chance because they didn't want them to succeed? BTW, I have been a Jets fans longer then you are alive, you have no idea what real pain is.

Mark Sanchez was Rex's golden boy until Idzik arrived. You don't know how old I am I sat out many cold days at Shea and kept my tickets through the 1-15 Kotite days,witnessed the Monday Night Miracle and never leave a game early. How about you?

What in my last statement do you disagree with? Agreed, Sanchez sucks...why can't anyone beat him out? I don't care if he roots for the Jets, but if they upset you, don't.

Your post was vitriolic.  You called him a hater and suggested he root for someone else, which is not uncommon to see coming from you.  All he did was say he would like to see any QB different than the one who made a laughingstock of himself with a buttfumble clip they won't stop showing for 50 years.

Sanchez got more of the benefit of the doubt because of his high draft pick and high contract.  His competition as a rookie was Kellen Clemens, and it was close enough to hand it to the guy they just invested mightily in.  He had literally zero competition since then except for Geno Smith who clearly doesn't look ready.  And even then that wasn't a slam-dunk decision with Sanchez turning it over or screwing up in rookie-fashion in 3 out of 3 pre-season games.  His last game showed that even handling a simple snap is an adventure with this guy.

So saying he kept beating out competition is ignoring that there hasn't really been viable competition.

Sometimes you move on just because you have to move on.  If the next guy isn't a solution either, then you move on again.  You keep doing that until you get it right and you find a QB who is an asset rather than someone the coaches strive to hide by running the ball all the time.

Your post was vitriolic.  You called him a hater and suggested he root for someone else, which is not uncommon to see coming from you.  All he did was say he would like to see any QB different than the one who made a laughingstock of himself with a buttfumble clip they won't stop showing for 50 years.

Sanchez got more of the benefit of the doubt because of his high draft pick and high contract.  His competition as a rookie was Kellen Clemens, and it was close enough to hand it to the guy they just invested mightily in.  He had literally zero competition since then except for Geno Smith who clearly doesn't look ready.  And even then that wasn't a slam-dunk decision with Sanchez turning it over or screwing up in rookie-fashion in 3 out of 3 pre-season games.  His last game showed that even handling a simple snap is an adventure with this guy.

So saying he kept beating out competition is ignoring that there hasn't really been viable competition.

Sometimes you move on just because you have to move on.  If the next guy isn't a solution either, then you move on again.  You keep doing that until you get it right and you find a QB who is an asset rather than someone the coaches strive to hide by running the ball all the time.

and whose fault is that, his? Take it easy professor, didn't mean to upset you. In fact, I wasn't even talking to you.

Archived