danny amendola injured already

Blackout

New England Patriots wide receiver Danny Amendola is almost certain to miss Thursday night's game against the New York Jets game due to a groin injury, although it is too early to rule him out, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Ed Werder.

Amendola's likely absence from the game was earlier reported by NFL.com.

Amendola and running back Shane Vereen(wrist) were not spotted at the Patriots' walk-through Tuesday morning.

Amendola turned in a gutty 10-catch, 104-yard performance despite the injury in the Patriots' Week 1 victory over the Buffalo Bills. He had left Sunday's season opener at the end of the second quarter before returning in the third quarter.

After the game, when asked about his availability for Thursday's home opener, he said, "I just feel good about the win; that's all that really to matters to me. We'll figure everything else out later."

He has been managing a groin injury since the Patriots' Aug. 16 preseason game against theTampa Bay Buccaneers.

Vereen, who rushed for 101 yards against the Bills, is expected to miss a few weeks after undergoing surgery on Monday, according to Fox Sports.

"We've got a lot of good players in the locker room, so when people are injured, that's why you have a deep roster, guys that are -- you have confidence in, you've gained trust in, and I certainly have that at the skill positions," quarterback Tom Brady said Tuesday.

"We have a lot of good running backs, we have a lot of good receivers; we're trying to do the best we can this week to go out and win a very challenging game against a very good team."

Receiver Julian Edelman, who had seven catches for 79 yards and two touchdowns on Sunday, was asked Tuesday what he'd say to young players who need to step in for an injured player.

"You always have to be prepared. It's a violent game out there and you're always one play away. It's not like college, where you have a backup for your kicker, two different type of kickers, a holder, 14 receivers," he said. "Everyone that is on the team is ultimately going to have to contribute at some time in the season. You have to always be prepared for your opportunity."

Archived