Geno accomplished something that hasn't been done in the post-merger era of the NFL

Jetsfan80

Considering he had no support from a running game - the game was all on him-not to mention the offensive line play was not good

Bingo.  People who want to compare his performance to Sanchez's forget just how good Sanchez's supporting cast was in 2009.  This was a team that was ranked 32nd in the power rankings by the "experts", yet he guided us to victory.

Franchise.  Quarterback.

Considering he had no support from a running game - the game was all on him-not to mention the offensive line play was not good

It really does make his performance all that more impressive.  His All-Pro center was getting bitch slapped, he had numerous play with someone at his feet within 1.5 seconds from the snap, zero running game to speak of, a few drops, a couple wrong routes, he threw the ball away at all the appropriate times which was a breath of fresh air.  All in all, very impressive considering that everything was breaking down around him.

It really does make his performance all that more impressive.  His All-Pro center was getting bitch slapped, he had numerous play with someone at his feet within 1.5 seconds from the snap, zero running game to speak of, a few drops, a couple wrong routes, he threw the ball away at all the appropriate times which was a breath of fresh air.  All in all, very impressive considering that everything was breaking down around him.

Sanchez would have gone 12-32 with 98 yards and 3 turnovers and we'd be screaming about his lack of weapons, offensive line, and running backs being to blame.

Instead we get to celebrate a victory.  It's a great feeling having a franchise QB.

Sanchez would have gone 12-32 with 98 yards and 3 turnovers and we'd be screaming about his lack of weapons, offensive line, and running backs being to blame.

Instead we get to celebrate a victory.  It's a great feeling having a franchise QB.

I dont even want to think about how ugly that game would have been with the pos behind center.

Every time they had the camera on Sanchez trying to coach up Geno, I wanted to puke.  I kept screaming, run away!!!  Go to the other side of the bench!!!  STAY CLEAR!!!!

I dont even want to think about how ugly that game would have been with the pos behind center.

Every time they had the camera on Sanchez trying to coach up Geno, I wanted to puke.  I kept screaming, run away!!!  Go to the other side of the bench!!!  STAY CLEAR!!!!

QB coaches shouldn't be allowed to wear headbands.  Someone needs to lock him out of the Jets facility.

Instead we get to celebrate a victory. It's a great feeling having a franchise QB.

Let's not be too quick to call him a franchise QB.

He had common negitives along with positives yesterday. Rookie mistakes and growing pains are just apart of it but let's not take the positives overboard because of that ...lets see his progresson game to game before we yell that... remember last time we called someone a "Sanchize" QB ? Step by step, liked his zip on the ball regardless

As long as does not force anything, I can live with th games where the numbers might be bad because he is throwing it away.  His receivers are not the best, he is under pressure, and he still has to get the mental part of the game down.  Trick is to be disciplined, don't force, and run for your life sometimes. He is a pretty accurate thrower, but I do not want him  trying to thread the needle unless  it is absolutely necessary.  A lot fewer turnovers would make a huge difference, especially those that directly result in TDs.

Let's not be too quick to call him a franchise QB.

He had common negitives along with positives yesterday. Rookie mistakes and growing pains are just apart of it but let's not take the positives overboard because of that ...lets see his progresson game to game before we yell that... remember last time we called someone a "Sanchize" QB ? Step by step, liked his zip on the ball regardless

FWIW, many veteran QB's who we all would have taken over Geno to start week 1 in a heartbeat, played much much worse than him yesterday, playing on better teams with better weaponz. 

Flacco - pick 6

Palmer - pick 6

Manning - pick 6

Brady had a pick and a fumble. 

Weeden - 3 picks

Dalton - 2 picks

This list goes on.  Geno played better than most.  Very few QB's came away with zero turnovers yesterday.  

a huge part of this story is Marty Morn's new offense. It's way better than Sparano's crapshow. shotgun, screens, it's a real functional NFL offense. Prediction if Geno plays all 16 games he will easily beat Mark's franchise record for most passing yards by a rookie. 

a huge part of this story is Marty Morn's new offense. It's way better than Sparano's crapshow. shotgun, screens, it's a real functional NFL offense. Prediction if Geno plays all 16 games he will easily beat Mark's franchise record for most passing yards by a rookie.

Easily. I predict 3000 yd season for him

This!

Every time I thought the Jets were gonna settle down and start "ground n pound" ........they continued to throw it instead.  I tell ya, it gave a whole new vibe to the offense....I always sit n watch other teams play and say to myself why cant the Jets throw the ball more like this team or that team....we would always get momentum and then kill it by some meaningless run plays..

This!

Every time I thought the Jets were gonna settle down and start "ground n pound" ........they continued to throw it instead.  I tell ya, it gave a whole new vibe to the offense....I always sit n watch other teams play and say to myself why cant the Jets throw the ball more like this team or that team....we would always get momentum and then kill it by some meaningless run plays..

There where times when Geno got on a roll where they'd run the Wildcat.  Ugh!

Especially on that one play when they just got down near the redzone....MM straight pulled a Sparono on us and came in with a useless wild cat play that resulted in Geno having a 3rd n long if I'm not mistaken...................unless Reggie Bush running our wildcat, I have to admit, I am just not that interested in it anymore.

Geno accomplished something that hasn't been done by a Jets qb for a long, long time - and that is show some mobility.  Namath (not his fault), OBrien (his fault), Todd (can't believe was a wishbone qb in college) were fossilized statues. Vinny was a lumbering load, and  Sanchez stopped moving since his rookie year. What fun to see a lithe and athletic  qb with a  Jets uniform.

Especially on that one play when they just got down near the redzone....MM straight pulled a Sparono on us and came in with a useless wild cat play that resulted in Geno having a 3rd n long if I'm not mistaken...................unless Reggie Bush running our wildcat, I have to admit, I am just not that interested in it anymore.

If not Reggie Bush, then at least Brad Smith.

Sign me up with done with the Wildcat.  I think we picked up 1 first down out of it, but it was all by Powell making something out of nothing.  That lane closed up with quickness and was able just to dive forward...but you're right Geno was feeling it and they pulled him.  Hate that sh*t.  The way he was playing, no 3rd and short should be a worry because he's accurate as hell and was picking up first down's with his feet.  

Really hope we bag that sh*t. 

Sign me up with done with the Wildcat. 

someone started a different thread about it, but considering that Geno took a ton of snaps out of shotgun (almost all of em), maybe the wildcat is a substitute for the normal 'under center' running plays. Maybe the real running attack won't happen until Geno is good at taking center snaps. Just a theory... 

I thought Geno's game was a mixed bag.  He got better as the game went on, though, which is very encouraging.  I think he was working with Marty, seeing what plays worked and mixing it up as well as we have seen from an OC is a long, long time.  It helped Geno build confidence in his effectiveness. 

But he did turn the ball over twice, so I can't get too excited.  Not yet.

I thought Geno's game was a mixed bag.  He got better as the game went on, though, which is very encouraging.  I think he was working with Marty, seeing what plays worked and mixing it up as well as we have seen from an OC is a long, long time.  It helped Geno build confidence in his effectiveness. 

He seems like a quick study though, supposedly watches a ton of tape, and THROWS THE BALL AWAY

It's beautiful

it's all about expectations, if Mark had done the strip sack on the 5 or the god-awful int to Ivory the stadium would have gone sh*thouse. bottom line it was a mixed bag from Geno. But they won so let's be happy. 

He seems like a quick study though, supposedly watches a ton of tape, and THROWS THE BALL AWAY

It's beautiful

Yeah, like I said the way he got better as the game went on was great.  Rather than focus on the turnovers, he was working with Marty to make plays happen that were effective.  TB looked a bit on their heels because of the threat he might run (not that he's all that fast, but...).  The playcalling exploited that, I think.

I know it's early, but I think we finally have an above average OC.

it's all about expectations, if Mark had done the strip sack on the 5 or the god-awful int to Ivory the stadium would have gone sh*thouse. bottom line it was a mixed bag from Geno. But they won so let's be happy. 

I know that luck evens out, and the Jets have had their share of the bad kind.  But I could not believe how lucky they were yesterday. 

Didn't stop me from being thrilled with the end result, and even the Jets weren't as lucky as the Niners. Heh.

Sign me up with done with the Wildcat.  I think we picked up 1 first down out of it, but it was all by Powell making something out of nothing.  That lane closed up with quickness and was able just to dive forward...but you're right Geno was feeling it and they pulled him.  Hate that sh*t.  The way he was playing, no 3rd and short should be a worry because he's accurate as hell and was picking up first down's with his feet.  

Another big difference with Geno versus Sanchez...when Geno runs it looks like he's trying to get as much yardage and then looking for the OB or a place to slide...with Sanchez it was running wildly with the ball in one hand as he's about to get crushed...awareness or lack thereof...just my impression...I'm sure there were times where Sanchez did the same but I had a little more confidence with Geno running than I've had in a Jets QB in awhile.

Yeah, like I said the way he got better as the game went on was great. Rather than focus on the turnovers, he was working with Marty to make plays happen that were effective. TB looked a bit on their heels because of the threat he might run (not that he's all that fast, but...). The playcalling exploited that, I think.

I know it's early, but I think we finally have an above average OC.

Actually Geno runs a 4.5

http://m.europe.wsj.com/articles/a/SB10001424127887324299104578529543668703674?mg=reno64-wsj

Smith's recently drafted peers with a timed speed of better than 4.6 seconds—Robert Griffin III, Jake Locker, Colin Kaepernick, Russell Wilson and Cam Newton—averaged 5.1 yards per rush and 34 rushing touchdowns, more than eight times as many scores as Smith's total for the Mountaineers. (Fellow West Virginia alumnus Pat White is excluded because he was drafted primarily to be a running

Geno accomplished something that hasn't been done by a Jets qb for a long, long time - and that is show some mobility.  Namath (not his fault), OBrien (his fault), Todd (can't believe was a wishbone qb in college) were fossilized statues. Vinny was a lumbering load, and  Sanchez stopped moving since his rookie year. What fun to see a lithe and athletic  qb with a  Jets uniform.

Wait you forgot Quincy Carter and Brooks Bollinger!  lol.

Sanchez wouldn't have won this game.  Not a chance.  Geno did, and he was the 2nd biggest reason we won (our front 7 being the top reason).  That's my takeaway from this game.

Archived