Rex Ryan Factor is Jets' Only Hope of Sacking The Pats

flgreen

Rex Ryan factor is NY Jets' only hope of sacking the Patriots on Thursday night Rex Ryan is back to being the defensive play-caller and the results showed on Sunday as they shut down the Bucs. Now Ryan will see if his defense can slow down the high-octane Patriots. Comments (9) NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Monday, September 9, 2013, 10:47 PM
manish10s-1-web.jpg Andrew Theodorakis/New York Daily News  

Rex Ryan has a 1-4 record against the Patriots in Foxborough, but his return to calling defensive plays could fool Tom Brady.

inform.jpg

Rex Ryan's best offseason move was placing his faith in himself during a watershed moment in his professional life.

Although Ryan has been rightfully criticized for curious decisions surrounding his quarterbacks in the past year, his defensive acumen is beyond reproach. He is football’s Raymond Babbitt, a savant who has built a career flummoxing some of the best offensive minds of this generation.

Ryan has returned to his roots as a stalwart defensive play-caller after a brief hiatus. Now, his defense just may save him in a make-or-break season.

The league landscape is littered with overreaction after the first weekend of football. The Jets made a defensive splash by shutting down the Buccaneers in an 18-17 season-opening win on Sunday, but Ryan’s unit will have to elevate its play to slow down the high-octane Patriots on Thursday night in Foxborough.

The Jets still aren’t playoff contenders, but Ryan’s defense may be good enough to help win enough games to keep him around beyond 2013.

Ryan’s group held Josh Freeman to a 48% completion rate and 67.9 passer rating and Pro Bowl running back Doug Martin to 2.7 yard per carry in Week 1. The confident head coach didn’t indulge in hyperbole when asked Monday if that defensive success was a product of a questionable Tampa Bay offense or simply the Jets’ dominance.

“You guys figure it out,” Ryan said. “We’ll be pretty good on defense.”

The Patriots, of course, are expected to present a more daunting challenge.

Bill Belichick’s team underwent an offensive makeover in the offseason due to contract impasses, injuries and legal transgressions, but as Ryan wisely noted, “It’s New England. It starts with Brady.”

Ryan’s mission to stymie Tom Brady isn’t impossible. It only seems that way.

The Jets won three of the first five games in the divisional series under Ryan.

His finest moment against the AFC East rivals came during the 2010 divisional playoffs when he devised a brilliant game plan with then-defensive coordinator Mike Pettine to propel the Jets to a second consecutive AFC Championship Game. Brady, who was sacked five times, was skittish from start to finish that night.

Ryan, however, has lost four in a row to the Patriots by an average of 16 points. The Jets are 1-4 with Ryan in Foxborough, with a 17.8-point average margin of defeat. His teams have given up an average of 31.2 points in five road games against the Patriots since 2009.

Ryan certainly is smart enough to fool Brady, but there are several factors working against him.

The short week will likely favor the Patriots, who just faced Pettine’s defense in Buffalo on Sunday.

The Bills hit Brady seven times, sacked him twice and held him to a 55.8% completion rate and 76.4 passer rating. However, Brady was sharp when it mattered most, going 6-for-6 on the Patriots’ fourth-quarter, game-winning drive.

Brady’s exposure to Pettine’s defense, which mirrors Ryan’s principles and philosophies, should benefit the Patriots in a short week.

Brady & Co. have moved away from their successful two-tight end centric offense due to circumstance after Rob Gronkowski’s injuries and Aaron Hernandez’s murder rap. Brady’s top receiving options on Thursday will be shorter, quicker receivers Danny Amendola and Julian Edelman. The Patriots, whose running backs racked up 160 yards on 5.4 ypc on Sunday, will also rely more on their ground game than in recent years.

Brady may still be developing chemistry with his new weapons, but Ryan also underwent a personnel overhaul with seven new defensive starters.

“I don’t think this system requires (a lot of star) players,” linebacker Demario Davis said. “I think this defense is going to be great if people just go out and execute their job. We’ve got more than enough guys at each position to go out and execute their jobs. If we can do that, I think we’re going to be okay.”

Ryan’s biggest challenge this week will be simulating New England’s fast-paced tempo with his scout team offense in practice. He said that his defense won’t huddle and will get the defensive calls from the sideline only after the scout team gets to the line of scrimmage.

Ryan has taken control of the defense after gradually giving the play-calling duties to Pettine in the previous two years. In some ways, Ryan lost sight of what he used to be: a great teacher and strategist.

Before all the craziness in recent years, Ryan was one of the most respected and feared defensive minds in the game as the Ravens’ coordinator.

He woke up in the middle of the night in the middle of the week once after his game plan against the Chargers was finished.

He had an epiphany. Something didn’t feel right.

So, Ryan wiped the sleep from his eyes and drove to his office to put together a new plan. It was crazy. It was unconventional. But it worked. The Ravens won.

That guy is back.

The Jets will need him on Thursday.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-rex-factor-jets-hope-sacking-pats-article-1.1450520?pgno=1#ixzz2eUv4KRiJ

Does it bother anyone else how every single media outlet just completely dismisses any chance of this team making the playoffs? I don't get how you can just outright say "Jets aren't a playoff contender" after a single game. I understand they don't think the Jets are a good team and some of you feel the same way but its not like we have never seen a team that on paper shouldn't make the playoffs, actually make it.

You would think some of these guys would cover their asses a little bit and just say "we'll see what happens" rather than just completely dismissing the idea. Especially in the NFL.

Does it bother anyone else how every single media outlet just completely dismisses any chance of this team making the playoffs? I don't get how you can just outright say "Jets aren't a playoff contender" after a single game. I understand they don't think the Jets are a good team and some of you feel the same way but its not like we have never seen a team that on paper shouldn't make the playoffs, actually make it.

You would think some of these guys would cover their asses a little bit and just say "we'll see what happens" rather than just completely dismissing the idea. Especially in the NFL.

16 teams in the NFL are 1-0 and we're one of them.  No reason to think we're not a contender until proven otherwise.  Win Thursday night, somehow, and we're very much in the hunt. 

Find a QB and overnight you go from a rebuilding team to a playoff contender.  The NFL is crazy like that. 

16 teams in the NFL are 1-0 and we're one of them. No reason to think we're not a contender until proven otherwise. Win Thursday night, somehow, and we're very much in the hunt.

Find a QB and overnight you go from a rebuilding team to a playoff contender. The NFL is crazy like that.

Friday morning is going to be brutal for you.

16 teams in the NFL are 1-0 and we're one of them. No reason to think we're not a contender until proven otherwise. Win Thursday night, somehow, and we're very much in the hunt.

Find a QB and overnight you go from a rebuilding team to a playoff contender. The NFL is crazy like that.

Seahawks have a 90 overall in the new madden...

A year before Wilson they went into the play offs with a 7-9 record.

16 teams in the NFL are 1-0 and we're one of them.  No reason to think we're not a contender until proven otherwise.  Win Thursday night, somehow, and we're very much in the hunt. 

Find a QB and overnight you go from a rebuilding team to a playoff contender.  The NFL is crazy like that. 

I agree man.

Contender is the key word here. I don't understand how 1 game into the season they just say they are not even a contender at all. Its comical.

Friday morning is going to be brutal for you.

I'll be honest man, I don't like saying this, but this is a house money game here. Nobody is expecting us to win and even if we don't we can still start the season 3-1 with our next 2 games. People would sign up for that in a second.

Funny thing about dynasties-when they end, they end suddenly.

New England's defense has been garbage for years.   Instead of counting us out, perhaps Patriots fans-including most of those in the media-might want to consider if this is the season it all goes bad.

Who knows guys... if we don't **** these games up and play with a chip on our shoulder we could be looking at 4-0 right before the season gets harder then Revis knee cartilage

See whats the most annoying thing about people saying we're not even contenders and that we're not even gonna win 5 games is that I fail to see where the season gets harder.

I guess youre talking about the Falcons, Pats and Saints but outside of those 3 I don't see anyone that I don't think is beatable. Especially after watching this first week.

The Steelers looked old (only played 1 game but we will know by then).

Ravens...eh, not impressed at all.

Bengals look ok.

All 3 of those teams are beatable. Falcons and Saints will definitely be tough tho.

Ravens and Bengals will put up more points then we can put up offensively no matter if the D plays good or not. The offense isn't equipped with enough talent to do so. The Steelers will be a equal push and its a toss up tbh.. but outside of that, if the special teams is putting up more points then the offense ..... we have a problem. Because you won't see any of these teams outside the Week 4 stretch relying on kickers to keep them in the game,all game.

Ravens and Bengals will put up more points then we can put up offensively no matter if the D plays good or not. The offense isn't equipped with enough talent to do so. The Steelers will be a equal push and its a toss up tbh.. but outside of that, if the special teams is putting up more points then the offense ..... we have a problem. Because you won't see any of these teams outside the Week 4 stretch relying on kickers to keep them in the game,all game.

Ok that's fair. I'm not sold at all on the Ravens though. I think they ****ed themselves for years to come by paying Flacco like they did and losing the rest of their team.

Bengals I gotta see play for a few more weeks.

Blah blah blah Rex "D" blah blah blah. I stopped believing in a Rex Ryan factor after they showed up in Pittsburgh with vaseline on their hands.Not to mention how they got Tebowed at games end in Denver last year.

This ferocious "D" couldnt get the game winning stop then, or this past Sunday against TB either.

Blah blah blah Rex "D" blah blah blah. I stopped believing in a Rex Ryan factor after they showed up in Pittsburgh with vaseline on their hands.Not to mention how they got Tebowed at games end in Denver last year.

This ferocious "D" couldnt get the game winning stop then, or this past Sunday against TB either.

does Sperm really have to explain it again?

Ok that's fair. I'm not sold at all on the Ravens though. I think they ****ed themselves for years to come by paying Flacco like they did and losing the rest of their team.

Bengals I gotta see play for a few more weeks.

I'm just personally hoping that the Jets can stay above .500 up until that point and then do what they can to survive. People forget we play the Rams and the Browns at the end of the season

Seahawks have a 90 overall in the new madden...

A year before Wilson they went into the play offs with a 7-9 record.

Madden ratings are important. I was noticing Marks spectacular catch rating was like 50 points higher than Geno Smith's yesterday. I hope the shoulder injury won't lower this.

The Patriots offensive line historically plays great as a unit, despite sometimes having mediocre parts - that said, the only guy that concerns me on that line right now is Mankins. He's awesome, no question.

Vollmer and Solder? Meh.

Connolly? Is he healthy? Wendell? Who?

I feel like Rex finally has a 3 to 4 man front that can get pressure against a line like this, without bringing the blitz constantly - and it coincides with a time where Brady doesn't have the skill position plays to attack our 3rd, 4th and 5th guys in coverage like he's done in the past, basically avoiding Revis and Cro, in order to pick on guys like Eric Smith, Kyle Wilson and LBers in coverage.

Edelman will probably assume the role that Hernandez, Welker and Vereen have played, exploiting our blitz with the short underneath routes. He doesn't suck, but he's nowhere near as dangerous as those other guys that have eaten our lunch the past couple matchups. Kenbrell vs. Millner seems appropriate, I think our guy wins more than loses in this matchup. Let Cro shadow Amendola (if he plays, just saw this)

They are going to have to dig deep for playmakers, I just don't see the talent. I think our defense can keep us in this game... they just have to finish (which we almost failed to do Sunday, and the Bills did fail to do). Geno and the offense need to protect the ball, and play from the opening whistle like they don't have the lead - even if they do. 

Brady & Co. have moved away from their successful two-tight end centric offense due to circumstance after Rob Gronkowski’s injuries and Aaron Hernandez’s murder rap. Brady’s top receiving options on Thursday will be shorter, quicker receivers Danny Amendola and Julian Edelman. The Patriots, whose running backs racked up 160 yards on 5.4 ypc on Sunday, will also rely more on their ground game than in recent years.

The Jets will need him on Thursday.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-rex-factor-jets-hope-sacking-pats-article-1.1450520?pgno=1#ixzz2eUv4KRiJ

This certainly seems to help the Jets.  They still don't have much in the way of cover safeties or LBs and that is why they have so much trouble with receiving backs and TEs.  If they are playing Amendola and Edelman I expect to see a bunch of Trufant, who did an excellent job on Welker last year.  I'm a little worried about the run because the team seems to be able to stop what it wants to stop, but when teams can run from those passing formations it can give trouble.  Hopefully the added speed and attention up front will solve that.  

I'm just personally hoping that the Jets can stay above .500 up until that point and then do what they can to survive. People forget we play the Rams and the Browns at the end of the season

If we're .500 at that point we will already have more wins than almost every "expert" predicted.

does Sperm really have to explain it again?

I was hoping you would.His posts are tl;dnr for my peanut brain.

BTW I think the Jets can win in NE but it has nothing to do with "The Ryan Factor" the esteemed press now speaks of after one weird victory and everything to do with no Gronk, Welker, Hernandez, and a  soft "D".

The media is worthless poopoo who are turning the NFL into the WWF.  Its out of control.  

The same panel of "experts" that picked the Jets to get destroyed by Tampa and have the first overall pick in the draft, were discussing and rationalizing how the Jets and the genius that is Rex Ryan can go into Foxborough and win.  Ridiculous. 

I think the jets might very well win this game because the patriots have key players injured Vereen,Shudfeld,Gronkowski which are key players for them.I think the jets might win in the margin of a 3pt or 7pt victory. The patriots are injured right now this is the right  time to beat them while the patriots are down.

I think the jets might very well win this game because the patriots have key players injured Vereen,Shudfeld,Gronkowski which are key players for them.I think the jets might win in the margin of a 3pt or 7pt victory. The patriots are injured right now this is the right  time to beat them while the patriots are down.

Don't care how or why we get the win, just gotta get the win.

I think the jets might very well win this game because the patriots have key players injured Vereen,Shudfeld,Gronkowski which are key players for them.I think the jets might win in the margin of a 3pt or 7pt victory. The patriots are injured right now this is the right time to beat them while the patriots are down.

They have no real WR to match up against Cro & company

I actually think you can assess this another way. If the Jets play well and lose, say 24-20 and Geno has a good night and makes good progress? That bodes well not just for the long term, but for the rest of this year. So, I am agreeing with you about the difference the QB makes, but I think they don't necessarily have to win this game to be relevant this year. But I sure want to win.

I actually think you can assess this another way. If the Jets play well and lose, say 24-20 and Geno has a good night and makes good progress? That bodes well not just for the long term, but for the rest of this year. So, I am agreeing with you about the difference the QB makes, but I think they don't necessarily have to win this game to be relevant this year. But I sure want to win.

In the Game of Thrones you win or you die. Geno must kill Brady

Archived