Jets May Keep Milliner on Bench

flgreen

NY Jets may keep Dee Milliner on bench after game vs. Patriots

The ninth pick of this year’s draft had a tough night against the Patriots. Among his mistakes, he allowed Kenbrell Thompkins to get behind him on a play that would have been a touchdown if the receiver had held on to the ball. Rex Ryan said the rookie’s progress has been hindered by shoulder surgery in March.

By Seth Walder  / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Friday, September 13, 2013, 10:16 PM.

Dee Milliner, the rookie who was pegged to replace Darrelle Revis, was benched on Thursday and might not get his job back so quickly.

The ninth pick of this year’s draft had a tough night against the Patriots. Among his mistakes, he allowed Kenbrell Thompkins to get behind him on a play that would have been a touchdown if the receiver had held on to the ball.

Rex Ryan said the rookie’s progress has been hindered by shoulder surgery in March.

“I don’t know. We’ll see,” Ryan said about his starting status. “The young man, like I said before, it’s unfortunate that he missed so much work. All of minicamp rehabbing the shoulder surgery. He missed a lot of training camp as well, so we kind of just threw him into the fire.”

Milliner played 37 snaps on Thursday before he was replaced by a combination of Kyle Wilson and Darrin Walls. “I just thought that at that time, I just thought it was best that hey, you know what, sit him down, let him watch it and we’ll go with more experience out there,” Ryan said.

Added the coach, “That’s what this kid’s lacking, is just the NFL experience. He did play on the biggest stage in college football (at Alabama). I think it’s just a matter of time before he makes the adjustments to the NFL game.”

GIVE ‘D’ AN ‘A’

Though Ryan isn’t pleased about the loss, his defense looked impressive Thursday night, holding Tom Brady below a 50% completion percentage.

RELATED: DOCTORS TELL JETS' SANCHEZ NOT TO HAVE SURGERY AT THIS TIME

“Well I mean, is anybody surprised? That (we’ve got) a great defense? That doesn’t surprise anybody,” Ryan said. “That certainly doesn’t surprise Jets fans, it doesn’t surprise our football team.”

WAR OF WORDS

Ryan avoided addressing the possibility of Willie Colon being suspended for making contact with a referee during a post-game scrum, but did say he thought Nick Mangold’s illegal tackle of Aqib Talib on the clinching interception return was unintentional. Bill Belichick yelled at Mangold after the play.

“Look I’ve yelled at his players, too. A lot of that stuff happens,” Ryan said on ESPN Radio. “But yelling at my player that he did something intentional, that’s not the case. Nick wasn’t trying to injure that guy or hit him out of bounds or anything else. And Mangold’s not that type of player and Belichick should know better than that. I promise you he does if he looks at it now, Nick is not that kind of player.”

PAY UP

Jets safety Dawan Landry was fined $21,000 for unnecessary roughness for striking Bucs WR Mike Williams in the head and neck area last week. Bucs S Dashon Goldson was fined $30,000 for the same penalty against Jeff Cumberland, who received stitches on his chin.

And Bucs LB Lavonte David’s terrible penalty drawn by pushing Geno Smith while out of bounds became even more costly: he was fined $7,875 for the shove.

IVORY TOWER

Ryan was pleased with the way that Chris Ivory ran the ball against the Patriots. Ivory ran for 52 yards, averaging 4.3 yards per carry with a fumble that was recovered by the Jets. Ryan did not explain why Ivory received only one fourth-quarter rush. . . . Ryan did not provide any injury update on star defensive lineman Muhammad Wilkerson, who injured his ankle Thursday night.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-insider-benched-milliner-backed-corner-article-1.1455735#ixzz2erj4PEa4

Another 1st round pick bust. What the hell is wrong with this organization that they cant get this draft thing straightened out?

Oh shaddup. It's two games. CB is a tough position to get adjusted to in the NFL. He's also coming off an injury. Do you shoot your kids when they aren't walking and talking by age 2 months?

Hows Kyle Wilson working out? Don't tell me to shut up because we don't agree. JA

Kyle Wilson is a decent slot cover man. He's also been in the league for a few years and not two games. We don't agree because your extremism is ridiculous. If Milliner finds himself on the bench in year two or three, then yes, he may be a bust. But this is very premature and wouldn't be an issue if he weren't "replacing" Revis.

Kyle Wilson is a decent slot cover man. He's also been in the league for a few years and not two games. We don't agree because your extremism is ridiculous. If Milliner finds himself on the bench in year two or three, then yes, he may be a bust. But this is very premature and wouldn't be an issue if he weren't "replacing" Revis.

Kyle Wilson was drafted to be a starting CB and return kicks and punts he wasn't drafted with a 1st round pick to be a slot cover man situational player.

Idzik needs to fire the entire scouting department if Milliner is another bust.

Kyle Wilson was drafted to be a starting CB and return kicks and punts he wasn't drafted with a 1st round pick to be a slot cover man situational player.

Idzik needs to fire the entire scouting department if Milliner is another bust.

Idzik didn't draft Kyle Wilson.  This is just lunacy right now.

I know that but the new and improved crew if they are that drafted Milliner!

Jeez, put a sock in it - Millner, like Geno, missed a big portion of the off-season. All Rex is saying is he needs to get up to speed before being put on the field and effecting the game. Calm down.

Jeez, put a sock in it - Millner, like Geno, missed a big portion of the off-season. All Rex is saying is he needs to get up to speed before being put on the field and effecting the game. Calm down.

Why is it other teams draft immediate impact players and the Jets draft the projects?  I wont put a sock in it on it or over it. Don't debate if you don't have the answers. Excuses is not what im looking for.

wow.  2 games.   

I didn't bench Milliner Rex Ryan did! Im not giving up on him but why is it we cant draft immediate impact players? Look at Richardson hes a beast. We cant keep playing hit or miss with draft picks.

Its the main reason this team hasn't won a Championship since 1969.

Why is it other teams draft immediate impact players and the Jets draft the projects?  I wont put a sock in it on it or over it. Don't debate if you don't have the answers. Excuses is not what im looking for.

LOL, I wasn't debating you - I was telling you to calm down.

So, what you are saying is that other teams all draft immediate impact players, and the Jets never do. Right? You are serious? Okay, you want me to debate you? 

Sheldon Richardson.

Millner was coming off a surgery, the Jets and everyone else knew he was going to miss time in the pre-season. You don't take a guy like Millner, or anyone in the draft for that matter, so that you can win the first 2 games you play with them. You take them so that they help you win over the course of multiple seasons. So, if you could curtail your tantrum for about 3 years so that we actually have a chance to see what Millner can do, it would be great.

Again, Rex is sitting him down because he missed time and needs to get up-to-speed. He obviously looks unprepared out there, it's for the good of the team.

I wonder if Rams fans are throwing a tantrum because Tavon Austin hasn't scored eleventy-billion TDs yet... laughable.

I didn't bench Milliner Rex Ryan did! Im not giving up on him but why is it we cant draft immediate impact players? Look at Richardson hes a beast. We cant keep playing hit or miss with draft picks.

You just contradicted your own gripe. Maybe now put a sock in it, on it, over it or whatever... LOL

I support the idea of not playing a player until he's ready to play.  Draft status notwithstanding.

However, does anyone else see the irony in Rex's comment?  

“That’s what this kid’s lacking, is just the NFL experience...[so we'll] sit him down, let him watch it and we’ll go with more experience out there,” Ryan said.

LOL

he wasn't able to do anything in the spring.  everyone is ahead of him right now.  take a deep breath. fact is, Rex should not have started him Game One. You draft a guy to play five years, not just game one.

milliner is behind because he missed time and reps and practice and was thrown to the wolves as soon as he was healthy

he is not a project

why the crybaby bullsh*t ?

milliner is behind because he missed time and reps and practice and was thrown to the wolves as soon as he was healthy

he is not a project

why the crybaby bullsh*t ?

Behind????  Didn't he play  CB for Alabama the National Champions?  

No crybaby sick and tired of busted 1st round draft picks.

Behind????  Didn't he play  CB for Alabama the National Champions?  

No crybaby sick and tired of busted 1st round draft picks.

calling him a bust after 2 games  is crybaby bullsh*t.  of course he is behind.  do you follow this team or just troll ?

1-2 and I agree.

Should have drafted Star Loutelili, or whatever his name is, and Richardson **** it, be the 1st team to ever run a 6-1-4 defense with Coples, and D David at the end spots, and Wilk, Star, Ellis, Richardson, and snack rotating as the other 4, and have D Harris at MLB behind them, play 1 of the safeties in the box, and dare the other team to try, and run a pass play that takes more than 2 seconds to develop!

calling him a bust after 2 games is crybaby bullsh*t. of course he is behind.

This.

It's not madden... Of course it will take some time for a player to play 100% after an injury. And he's a rookie on top of that. I understand frustration and all that but the overreactions on this board are unreal.

Wilson ******* sucks bro

He sucks based on draft position a d if you ask him to cover someone on the outside, sure but he's serviceable.

True. If we viewed him on the same footing as Ellis Lankster, maybe. But I cannot get over the false bravado when guys drop balls by accident and he does his incomplete dance.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived