Replacements for Rex

RSJ

Who in your opinions should the Jets replace Rex with if he gets fired? First let me say, that I do not wish to see Rex get fired. Outside of our DLine, this is a horrible roster that MOST other coaches couldnt get 3 wins out of all year. However, I compiled a list of guys I feel could possibly be an upgrade to Rex. Please add anyone you feel could/should replace Rex.

Bill O'Brien HC Penn State- Probably would be my top choice. Won with no talent at Penn State and still winning. Amended his contract in June so that he could return to the NFL. Former Belicheck guy who has atleast proven he could head coach someplace. He actually was the one who started the two TE sets that NE uses now. Very innovative by all accounts.

Mike Zimmer DC Bengals- I don't love this one and I would have laughed at it years ago - but he does have Cinci playing above its head.

Greg Roman OC 49ers - While Harbaugh gets credit for SF offense, its Roman who does the day to day work. Kind of a dark horse though who I'm kinda indifferent on.

Jon Gruden - He's been out of the league for a long time - but I still think he can coach well and would fit right in with Marty as his OC.

I doubt Rex is going anywhere and I'm not sure what prompted this thread. As for the Jets being 3-3 - that's pretty much where they should be right now with the talent that they have. In fact, we should all be happy that Geno Smith is showing some kind of promise of being a good NFL QB, Richardson Is having an excellent rookie year and Wilkerson is proving to be one of the best defensive ends in the league. The Jets have something to build on for next year, and despite the Pittsburgh loss, are keeping it exciting this year. Given all that, I expect Rex to be back next year unless there is a major blow up.

seconded.

that said, didn't we do this thread already even earlier and basically conclude it was too early to do this? it's still too early.

I just feel like someone is getting canned. You can't go out and give this bad of a roster to a head coach with two years left on his deal unless you are setting him up.

I'm not sure I'm with you.  Gruden would be great, but he's shown no inclination to leave the broadcast booth.  If it's not Gruden, I don't want anyone on your list. 

I wouldn't take a chance on a college coach without any previous head coaching experience.

Roman and Zimmer do not strike me as upgrades to Rex.

To be honest, 3-3 with a rookie Qb isn't bad.  This roster is average at best.  The talent on offense is below average, most would agree. 

If the defense implodes in the second half of the season we might be having a different conversation, but I don't see that happening. 

Look, if a great candidate comes along you can always make a case that Rex is never going to get us further then he has so far...  I just don't believe in making a change for change's sake. 

It's fashionable, but it isn't smart. 

I'm not sold on anybody on the OP list.  O'Brien has been impressive enough, but it's college, and how is what he's doing much different than Rex Ryan.  Ryan overachieves and O'brien has done that with Penn State.  But the Big 10 stinks, so I'm not even sold it's that great of a job.     If he were beating SEC or Pac-12 teams this year, I'd say wow or if they wind up beating Ohio State, but they barely beat a Michigan team in the 4th overtime who barely beat a what, division 3 team. I think for that situation he's been good, but I'm not that impressed enough to say "wow he'd be a great NFL HC."    Especially considering coaches far better than him have failed miserably in the NFL.   

Gruden, he's ok.  He gets far more credit than he really deserves.   Remember he won a super bowl with a team Dungy built.   And after that the Bucs fell apart into a team that kind of hasn't done crap since the super bowl.   Would he be good for Smith?  I have no clue considering his claim to fame as a HC is Rich Gannon having an MVP season at the end of his career and winning a super bowl more because the Tampa defense was so damn good.   He gets so much hype in the media now as a QB and offensive guy, but as a HC,  he kind of took teams other people built and then left or got fired. And he's been in the broadcast booth for years now.  

I honestly don't know if there would be a sudden improvement by firing Rex.   If the Jets stink it up and wind up 4-12 and look awful, then yes, but if they wind up 7-9 and look like the team they have looked like so far,  Rex gets the blame, but it becomes just a fall guy.   Say what you want, but if the team sucks so bad this year, Idzik shouldn't just get a pass.

or just you.

I'm pretty sure I was the first to sling this name around last December. Don't want Rex fired, but if he is Bevell is the obvious choice, and the only one as of now I can think of that would be ok with me, Cohwer, Gruden, and all those other retired coaches have been gone for to long, and IMO were never great HC's in the first place.

I'm pretty sure I was the first to sling this name around last December. Don't want Rex fired, but if he is Bevell is the obvious choice, and the only one as of now I can think of that would be ok with me, Cohwer, Gruden, and all those other retired coaches have been gone for to long, and IMO were never great HC's in the first place.

I trust that you were, but ive been hearing it just recently in multiple threads from Tom. Dont want to take it away from you though. 

I can't think of a coach that would be both 1) available and 2) clearly better than Rex. Rex and Marty together is a winning combination. It took awhile to put them together but now that they're both here it would be foolish to axe them. Rex is always gonna give you a team that fights hard and plays good defense. If Marty covers up his foolishness on the offensive side of the ball then we're solid.

The NextHeadCoach of the Jets will be Darrell Bevell.

Why? Because Idzik knows him?

He had one good season in Minnesota, coincidentally the year Favre got to take it out on the Packers, and then had Russell Wilson drop into his lap in Seattle. Otherwise, he's been pretty ordinary.

I just feel like someone is getting canned. You can't go out and give this bad of a roster to a head coach with two years left on his deal unless you are setting him up.

Rex is a goner.

You cant blame the team being undisciplined on the roster. Theres also the poor use of timeouts and challenges on a whim.

Rex and only Rex put Sanchez out on the field behind a ragtag O line just to win the Met Life trophy.

Why? Because Idzik knows him?

He had one good season in Minnesota, coincidentally the year Favre got to take it out on the Packers, and then had Russell Wilson drop into his lap in Seattle. Otherwise, he's been pretty ordinary.

Anyone seriously think Bevell's fingerprints weren't on the Matt Flynn acquisition?  Plus, we don't exactly have Adrian Peterson or Marshawn Lynch to make Bevell's job easy (nor a more seasoned young QB, nor anyone decent to throw it to).  

Everyone here bemoans what Rex used to always call "ground and pound" here.  Meanwhile under Bevell, Seattle has been 25th (2011), 32nd (2012), and 30th (2013) in pass attempts.  If anyone has played "ground and pound" + "hide the young QB" it's Darrell Bevell.  Ignoring Bevell's first season (both the bad and the good, since it was his first season), the only time his QB has been top 20 in pass attempts was that one year with Favre (who overrode plenty of the called run plays at the line for all we know, since it was such an anomaly for a Bevell offense). 

Team pass attempts ranking under Bevell:

9 (his RBs were Chester Taylor, Artose Pinner, and Mewelde Moore)

32 (ground & pound + hide the young QB)

28 (ground & pound + hide the young QB)

10 (arguably Brett Favre's best individual season)

21 (arguably Brett Favre's worst individual season)

25 (ground & pound + don't pass until 3rd down or until you're losing)

32 (ground & pound + hide Russell Wilson, season 1)

30 (ground & pound + hide Russell Wilson, season 2)

And the reason someone wants to give him full control is to get more towards this modern-day strategy of pass-first/pass-often, and "let it loose" with our young QB? lol.  Judging from history, that is the LAST thing in the world that Darrell Bevell would do.

Archived