Replacements for Rex

RSJ

Anyone seriously think Bevell's fingerprints weren't on the Matt Flynn acquisition?  Plus, we don't exactly have Adrian Peterson or Marshawn Lynch to make Bevell's job easy (nor a more seasoned young QB, nor anyone decent to throw it to).  

Everyone here bemoans what Rex used to always call "ground and pound" here.  Meanwhile under Bevell, Seattle has been 25th (2011), 32nd (2012), and 30th (2013) in pass attempts.  If anyone has played "ground and pound" + "hide the young QB" it's Darrell Bevell.  Ignoring Bevell's first season (both the bad and the good, since it was his first season), the only time his QB has been top 20 in pass attempts was that one year with Favre (who overrode plenty of the called run plays at the line for all we know, since it was such an anomaly for a Bevell offense). 

Team pass attempts ranking under Bevell:

9 (his RBs were Chester Taylor, Artose Pinner, and Mewelde Moore)

32 (ground & pound + hide the young QB)

28 (ground & pound + hide the young QB)

10 (arguably Brett Favre's best individual season)

21 (arguably Brett Favre's worst individual season)

25 (ground & pound + don't pass until 3rd down or until you're losing)

32 (ground & pound + hide Russell Wilson, season 1)

30 (ground & pound + hide Russell Wilson, season 2)

And the reason someone wants to give him full control is to get more towards this modern-day strategy of pass-first/pass-often, and "let it loose" with our young QB? lol.  Judging from history, that is the LAST thing in the world that Darrell Bevell would do.

Excellent post Sperm. Who do you like in the case that Rex gets fired?

Rex is a goner.

You cant blame the team being undisciplined on the roster. Theres also the poor use of timeouts and challenges on a whim.

Rex and only Rex put Sanchez out on the field behind a ragtag O line just to win the Met Life trophy.

Yeah, I cant deny what you say here. Also, I cant understand how a defensive genius could continually allow TE's to kill his defense. I like Rex, his defenses are good and players play hard for him. But I could see a change.

Anyone seriously think Bevell's fingerprints weren't on the Matt Flynn acquisition?  Plus, we don't exactly have Adrian Peterson or Marshawn Lynch to make Bevell's job easy (nor a more seasoned young QB, nor anyone decent to throw it to).  

Everyone here bemoans what Rex used to always call "ground and pound" here.  Meanwhile under Bevell, Seattle has been 25th (2011), 32nd (2012), and 30th (2013) in pass attempts.  If anyone has played "ground and pound" + "hide the young QB" it's Darrell Bevell.  Ignoring Bevell's first season (both the bad and the good, since it was his first season), the only time his QB has been top 20 in pass attempts was that one year with Favre (who overrode plenty of the called run plays at the line for all we know, since it was such an anomaly for a Bevell offense). 

Team pass attempts ranking under Bevell:

9 (his RBs were Chester Taylor, Artose Pinner, and Mewelde Moore)

32 (ground & pound + hide the young QB)

28 (ground & pound + hide the young QB)

10 (arguably Brett Favre's best individual season)

21 (arguably Brett Favre's worst individual season)

25 (ground & pound + don't pass until 3rd down or until you're losing)

32 (ground & pound + hide Russell Wilson, season 1)

30 (ground & pound + hide Russell Wilson, season 2)

And the reason someone wants to give him full control is to get more towards this modern-day strategy of pass-first/pass-often, and "let it loose" with our young QB? lol.  Judging from history, that is the LAST thing in the world that Darrell Bevell would do.

So.... you're saying he's a lock for the job then???

Jimmy_apollo.jpg

Why? Because Idzik knows him?

He had one good season in Minnesota, coincidentally the year Favre got to take it out on the Packers, and then had Russell Wilson drop into his lap in Seattle. Otherwise, he's been pretty ordinary.

Fun fact: Rex has never been involved with a team that fielded a consistently good quarterback in his history. Ever. The best quarterback he has seen come through any of his coaching jobs was Trent Dilfer.

Why? Because Idzik knows him?

He had one good season in Minnesota, coincidentally the year Favre got to take it out on the Packers, and then had Russell Wilson drop into his lap in Seattle. Otherwise, he's been pretty ordinary.

Skeptical fans that look at the Jets with a discerning lens say that Rex Ryan only had one good year. That the Colts and the Bengals laid down for them in Rex's first year, which paved the road for them to make the playoffs.

Except for 2010, he has been pretty ordinary, and has done things that have lost his team

The great thing about a thread that asks for candidates for a new Head Coach is that except for coaches that currently have jobs in the NFL and are successful, you can poke a hole in every candidate brought up. Geniuses with rib sauce splayed on their face will say:

-But he hasn't done it in the NFL

-In 2004, his (insert unit<BTW, I love saying that>) finished 26th in (insert stat)

-His coaching tree does not sprout oaks

-No SEC experience, no way!

-Where has he really been successful?

-He is a byproduct of superior talent

Then, when someone with a little bit of experience shakes free and gets hired, they say "Damn NFL and its cronyism, no new talent ever comes in".

The great thing about a thread that asks for candidates for a new Head Coach is that except for coaches that currently have jobs in the NFL and are successful, you can poke a hole in every candidate brought up. Geniuses with rib sauce splayed on their face will say:

-In 2004, his (insert unit<BTW, I love saying that>) finished 26th in (insert stat)

Then, when someone with a little bit of experience shakes free and gets hired, they say "Damn NFL and its cronyism, no new talent ever comes in".

DId you just take another shot at me?

Excellent post Sperm. Who do you like in the case that Rex gets fired?

I don't have anyone in mind.  Whoever it is, I'd like him to keep Mornhinweg as the OC.  Even in that case, I don't want it to be someone who doubles-up as the coordinator (or de facto coordinator) on either side of the ball.  I think it's too much.  I think Rex is a better defensive coach than the current product on the field indicates, but he's got his hands on too many things (not just during the game, but all week long in preparation) to give his D his full attention (the way MM likely does on offense).  

Each side of the ball, to my liking, needs a coordinator who is totally immersed in his half of the football squad.  I get that Rex is far more involved in the D than the O, but I do think we need one person detached from the minutia both sides (and specials), who doesn't call each individual play.  Someone to help see the forest and not just the trees, as they say.  One who can interject his opinion (read: override the coordinator) on a play here or a play there if he doesn't like what he's seeing, but otherwise lets his coordinators do their own things.  

I can only speak to some select guys I do NOT want, like Gruden and Cowher.  Cowher is a f*cking meathead and I don't see him as an upgrade at all.  At least on defense, Rex's own players think highly of him & throw the genius word out there often (even if it's overkill).  No one says Cowher is a genius at anything, and hearing him speak as well as what he's saying, I can see why.  He is your classic, old-school coach who likes to coach his team up into overpowering the opponent (strong defense, strong running game).  When you can coach your team up to just be bigger & stronger than the opponent, you don't need to outsmart anyone.  Plus he kind of had some good coordinators himself.  

Gruden is also on my "do not want" list, though I'd far prefer him over Cowher.  Despite his silliness, I think he's much more of an X's and O's guy than Cowher (even if it's only my impression), and that is my personal preference.  My issue with Gruden is in listening to him say what he'd do here or there during dozens of games, I disagree with him WAY too much.  The things he says are just outright stupid sometimes for a guy who's supposed to be smart.  Plus he just annoys me.  I wish I could give some examples of what I disagreed with him off the top of my head, but on a weekly basis I do find myself saying, "If [whoever the HC is] does what Gruden's saying he's a f*cking moron."  Then said coach doesn't do what Gruden is lobbying for in the booth, and the opposite of Gruden's recommendation is a success far too often. The thought of having this jittery cuckoo in charge gives me about as much confidence as Rex probably does for those who want him fired.

Bevell I'm not big on because the offense is more likely to go backwards to run-run-run, and his philosophy seems to be the opposite of Mornhinweg's.  I feel the Jets finally have an offensive coordinator I can get behind (even if I don't always like what he does; hindsight gives me and other fans that luxury).  If we bring in an OC to be the new HC, and his philosophy is totally different from the present one, I think there is a good chance that either Bevell would do the playcalling himself, would fire MM and hire his own like-minded OC, or would just cut MM's balls off.  If our OC or QBC get touched I'm not going to be happy, since they're both good ones.  Unless we bring in a WCO-loving HC, I'm against it.

O'Brien I don't know dick about since I don't watch college football.  So I wouldn't call him a good or bad candidate, though he seems to have a good reputation (even among those not in the Penn State cult).  I think it would be a confusing move to fire Rex and replace him with another DC.  Greg Roman it's hard to say.  I don't know how much is his doing and how much is Harbaugh.  He's also a very conservative OC (again, assuming it's him and not Harbaugh).  A lot of the bigger plays seem to be set up by elite athletes rather than elite design.

I don't know.  Ask me again in January, lol.

You have to admit, it's shameful for a prospective head coach to have his unit finish in the 20's at any point...unless you're the defensive coordinator of the 2007 Baltimore Ravens when they ranked 22nd in ppg allowed.

I don't have anyone in mind.  Whoever it is, I'd like him to keep Mornhinweg as the OC.  Even in that case, I don't want it to be someone who doubles-up as the coordinator (or de facto coordinator) on either side of the ball.  I think it's too much.  I think Rex is a better defensive coach than the current product on the field indicates, but he's got his hands on too many things (not just during the game, but all week long in preparation) to give his D his full attention (the way MM likely does on offense).  

Each side of the ball, to my liking, needs a coordinator who is totally immersed in his half of the football squad.  I get that Rex is far more involved in the D than the O, but I do think we need one person detached from the minutia both sides (and specials), who doesn't call each individual play.  Someone to help see the forest and not just the trees, as they say.  One who can interject his opinion (read: override the coordinator) on a play here or a play there if he doesn't like what he's seeing, but otherwise lets his coordinators do their own things.  

I can only speak to some select guys I do NOT want, like Gruden and Cowher.  Cowher is a f*cking meathead and I don't see him as an upgrade at all.  At least on defense, Rex's own players think highly of him & throw the genius word out there often (even if it's overkill).  No one says Cowher is a genius at anything, and hearing him speak as well as what he's saying, I can see why.  He is your classic, old-school coach who likes to coach his team up into overpowering the opponent (strong defense, strong running game).  When you can coach your team up to just be bigger & stronger than the opponent, you don't need to outsmart anyone.  Plus he kind of had some good coordinators himself.  

Gruden is also on my "do not want" list, though I'd far prefer him over Cowher.  Despite his silliness, I think he's much more of an X's and O's guy than Cowher (even if it's only my impression), and that is my personal preference.  My issue with Gruden is in listening to him say what he'd do here or there during dozens of games, I disagree with him WAY too much.  The things he says are just outright stupid sometimes for a guy who's supposed to be smart.  Plus he just annoys me.  I wish I could give some examples of what I disagreed with him off the top of my head, but on a weekly basis I do find myself saying, "If [whoever the HC is] does what Gruden's saying he's a f*cking moron."  Then said coach doesn't do what Gruden is lobbying for in the booth, and the opposite of Gruden's recommendation is a success far too often. The thought of having this jittery cuckoo in charge gives me about as much confidence as Rex probably does for those who want him fired.

Bevell I'm not big on because the offense is more likely to go backwards to run-run-run, and his philosophy seems to be the opposite of Mornhinweg's.  I feel the Jets finally have an offensive coordinator I can get behind (even if I don't always like what he does; hindsight gives me and other fans that luxury).  If we bring in an OC to be the new HC, and his philosophy is totally different from the present one, I think there is a good chance that either Bevell would do the playcalling himself, would fire MM and hire his own like-minded OC, or would just cut MM's balls off.  If our OC or QBC get touched I'm not going to be happy, since they're both good ones.  Unless we bring in a WCO-loving HC, I'm against it.

O'Brien I don't know dick about since I don't watch college football.  So I wouldn't call him a good or bad candidate, though he seems to have a good reputation (even among those not in the Penn State cult).  I think it would be a confusing move to fire Rex and replace him with another DC.  Greg Roman it's hard to say.  I don't know how much is his doing and how much is Harbaugh.  He's also a very conservative OC (again, assuming it's him and not Harbaugh).  A lot of the bigger plays seem to be set up by elite athletes rather than elite design.

I don't know.  Ask me again in January, lol.

Pretty much agree with everything you say here but keep in mind when it comes to gruden and cowher a lot of what they say may not actually have been well thought out in the respect of game planning during the week. They have to fill air time with discussion which sometimes makes them look like Idiots not really giving much thought to what they say. That being said I still do not want either one of them.

The guy I wanted is coaching the KC Chiefs

Also I liked Mike Pettine I think the guy is very smart and is usually well prepared for interviews I've seen him on. His family was also into coaching for a while so he grew up in it as well.

I think Brian Billick is a smart guy as well but not sure hes wanting back in coaching.

It's too  bad Idzik / Woody didn't go and get McCoy from Denver last year.   I really like what he's done with San Diego and seems to have a great demeanor on the sideline.    

SD has about the Jets level of talent on offense and less on defense.  other than laying in egg in Oakland they've been great all season.  

It's too  bad Idzik / Woody didn't go and get McCoy from Denver last year.   I really like what he's done with San Diego and seems to have a great demeanor on the sideline.    

SD has about the Jets level of talent on offense and less on defense.  other than laying in egg in Oakland they've been great all season.  

Rivers is much better than Smith at this point. 

Rex is a goner.

You cant blame the team being undisciplined on the roster. Theres also the poor use of timeouts and challenges on a whim.

Rex and only Rex put Sanchez out on the field behind a ragtag O line just to win the Met Life trophy.

You say that last part like it's a bad thing.  If anything, it's one of the best arguments for why he should be kept.

Jon Gruden is an absolute lush.  Being here in tampa, I know this.  I like cower, runs a good team through his coordinators, kind of the exact opposite of Rex which if we did get rid of Rex(I hope to heck we dont) I would like to see something different.

Plus:

Chin Face>>>>>Chucky Face

Lovie Smith. Jon Gruden I doubt would take the job, mostly because of the NY media who would view his sarcasm and facial expressions with much derision. I will absolutely come to NY and wring the Turnip's (Woody Johnson) neck personally if he hires another first time HC for the Jets. I have had enough of the Jets being the 'on the job training class' for head coaches. Get a guy that has been there and done that.

Lovie Smith. Jon Gruden I doubt would take the job, mostly because of the NY media who would view his sarcasm and facial expressions with much derision. I will absolutely come to NY and wring the Turnip's (Woody Johnson) neck personally if he hires another first time HC for the Jets. I have had enough of the Jets being the 'on the job training class' for head coaches. Get a guy that has been there and done that.

You mean someone like John Harbaugh, Mike McCarthy, Sean Payton, Mike Tomlin...  Candidates like that are the ones you want us to definitely stay away from?

Lovie Smith, lol.  Let's just get Jim Fassel and Ken Wisenhunt and Jim Caldwell up in this motherf*cker.  Hey, they're all superbowl coaches!  How about Coughlin after he gets sh*tcanned in January?

You say that last part like it's a bad thing.  If anything, it's one of the best arguments for why he should be kept.

Well, Sanchez is being paid a bunch of money to do nothing. Going forward, do you trust his decision making with other players on the roster?

Rex acts on impulse.

These NFL GMs and HCs running the show like Belichick want people they know and trust. Unless Rex pulls off a miracle I dont see him staying. And, as the end draws near, I think youll see him get real mouthy like hes shooting his way out of town.

Archived