Have you accepted Geno as your QB and savior?

T0mShane

Get this kid one of Lee/Watkins/Evans and ASJ/Eric Ebron and I'll call it a muh effin day. Geno playing a full season and showing he's the guy could jump this franchise's development into overdrive, much like they've down out in Seattle.  

+1

I cant wait for this years draft. WR (or 2) and a TE and I honestly believe this team is a contender.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

he only has one extra iNt over Mark Sanchez?  that's a good sign. 

I'll put this out there Geno has moments of greatness and moments of sheer idiocy... big arm... can't read defenses... the QB he reminds me of... is Vinny Testaverde. fwiw.  Obviously Vinny didn't run but as passers I think it's a sound comparison. 

as Sperm points out there's gonna be a moment about 4 years from now when the Jets will have to decide what he's worth, on his second contract. When the team gives him 15 per year that's when you'll know he's the guy. Not in year 1 when he's statistically similar to Mark. 

those stats aren't simliar.. not even close

Get this kid one of Lee/Watkins/Evans and ASJ/Eric Ebron and I'll call it a muh effin day. Geno playing a full season and showing he's the guy could jump this franchise's development into overdrive, much like they've down out in Seattle.  

Rashad Greene...doubt we'll be in position to draft Watkins.

I really buy into Ebron and Watkins. 

those stats aren't simliar.. not even close

6td/10int is similar to 8td/11int. and they were both 4-3 through 7 games. 

that being said i think geno is better than mark. but if you go back to that time, the fan reactions to both players are similar.

Rashad Greene...doubt we'll be in position to draft Watkins.

Don't know much about Rashad outside of the little I've seen of FSU, seems like a nice player. Most likely a second day pick, which is something we're going to have to start hitting on. We're probably going to fall out of Watkins as he's showing everyone that his freshman year wasn't a fluke: couple that with Mike Evans' play and Lee's injury, we could see some people unexpectedly drop. Lee to us would be a coup.  

My complete homer pick, but one that fits beautiful is Odell Bekham Jr in the 2nd or 3rd; he's going to be Reuben Randle, but with big-time KO and PR ability. 

that being said i think geno is better than mark. but if you go back to that time, the fan reactions to both players are similar.

Slightly similar, yet Geno is still throwing the ball 6+ extra times per game, for 80 extra yards, further down field and not to mention he's not benefiting from the 184 yards per game at 5+ yards a clip. 

I really buy into Ebron and Watkins. 

I was all in on ASJ coming into the season, but from what I've seen out of Ebron and Amaro, he's quickly falling to 3rd on my want list: Ebron being my number one. The really intriguing guy is Colt Lyerla; walked away from Oregon and has had some terrible off-field issues, but he's a physical specimen and could potentially be a steal if his background is properly vetted and he latches on with the right team. Ie. Something the patriots could turn into the next Gronk and Hernandez, although after the whole murder fiasco, I imagine the pats will steer clear of some of the more red flagged type of guys.

Slightly similar, yet Geno is still throwing the ball 6+ extra times per game, for 80 extra yards, further down field and not to mention he's not benefiting from the 184 yards per game at 5+ yards a clip. 

agreed they are using Geno like a modern QB, they protected Mark and tried to use a 1986 Giants formula for success. 

but don't forget it wasn't Year 1 Mark that everyone hated, it was Year 4 Mark. There's this idea that a rookie will improve, because that's what rookies do... but sometimes they actually get worse. This pick 6-ness is troublesome and testaverde-esque. He's played 7 games and had 1 game without turnovers. That ain't good.

Not in year 1 when he's statistically similar to Mark.

I'm not sold yet, either, but this is just disingenuous. Geno has better numbers in every single category, including interception percentage. Geno has only had one game where he's thrown for less than 200 yards (with 199), while to this point in Sanchez's career he had only one game over 200 yards.

Geno is being asked to do a lot more than Mark ever was, and he's doing it. He's a contributor in wins, as opposed to simply being carried by the team.

Max appreciates you driving up post counts with your trolling, though, so please - keep it up!

I stay cautious with Geno-I admit to having doubts when we drafted him- but i see the arm that can make every throw you have to make- can he make the right reads and decisions will determine how far he can go. I am behind him 100 per cent though- seems like a mature intelligent person when you hear him talk to the media

I'm not sold yet, either, but this is just disingenuous. Geno has better numbers in every single category, including interception percentage. Geno has only had one game where he's thrown for less than 200 yards (with 199), while to this point in Sanchez's career he had only one game over 200 yards.

Geno is being asked to do a lot more than Mark ever was, and he's doing it. He's a contributor in wins, as opposed to simply being carried by the team.

Max appreciates you driving up post counts with your trolling, though, so please - keep it up!

similar and better, they can both be true. slightly better is in fact similar.  (and i do admit Geno is better than Mark in post 77 of this thread)

if I have a point it's that it's too early to denote him the Gen-chize. or whatever the kids are calling it. He still throws really bad INTS and he's done it 6 out of 7 games. 

agreed they are using Geno like a modern QB, they protected Mark and tried to use a 1986 Giants formula for success. 

but don't forget it wasn't Year 1 Mark that everyone hated, it was Year 4 Mark. There's this idea that a rookie will improve, because that's what rookies do... but sometimes they actually get worse. This pick 6-ness is troublesome and testaverde-esque. He's played 7 games and had 1 game without turnovers. That ain't good.

Start Matt Simms

Don't know much about Rashad outside of the little I've seen of FSU, seems like a nice player. Most likely a second day pick, which is something we're going to have to start hitting on. We're probably going to fall out of Watkins as he's showing everyone that his freshman year wasn't a fluke: couple that with Mike Evans' play and Lee's injury, we could see some people unexpectedly drop. Lee to us would be a coup.  

My complete homer pick, but one that fits beautiful is Odell Bekham Jr in the 2nd or 3rd; he's going to be Reuben Randle, but with big-time KO and PR ability. 

I watch quite a bit of FSU.  Greene is a very natural WR.  Runs good routes, has great hands, can take the top off and take the short throws the distance.  He's certainly not a 1st rounder which in todays draft makes him a 2nd day pick.  He'd be a nice find in round 3 or something like that.  To be honest, him and Beckham are very similar players IMO.  

No love for Jarvis Landry?  Thats the guy that jumps of the screen when I watch LSU.  

He's legit. He was legit prior to Jameis too. Every time he touches the ball something good happens. Him in the second would be nice....too early to tell where he goes though.

Also- any chance Nick O'leary doesnt end up on the Pats?

fans are idiots... td/int ratio is less meaningful then the healthy advantage Geno enjoys in Y/A. Also, as the other poster said, Mark was supported by top running game whereas this years Jets running game is fairly dormant. Geno has been significantly better

I watch quite a bit of FSU.  Greene is a very natural WR.  Runs good routes, has great hands, can take the top off and take the short throws the distance.  He's certainly not a 1st rounder which in todays draft makes him a 2nd day pick.  He'd be a nice find in round 3 or something like that.  To be honest, him and Beckham are very similar players IMO.  

No love for Jarvis Landry?  Thats the guy that jumps of the screen when I watch LSU.  

Definite love for Landry, he's the more polished receiver, but I was operating more under my dream scenario of already landing Lee or one of the big time receivers and using Beckham to groom and start off on KO and PR, something that he has more experience with. Mettenberger, who's going to be a very nice developmental piece thanks to his natural skill and Cam Cameron, has essentially had two NFL receivers to throw to all year and they've looked every bit the part.

It's an obvious statement, but Geno proving he can be the guy to build around opens up the entire off-season for us; could be very exciting. 

I don't think u can compare stats they are 2 totally different offenses. . In the end mark brought us to 2 AFC championship games that's it now see how geno does from here on

Smith passes for 46% more yardage than Sanchez.  If Sanchez has a 3,000 yard season, Geno has a 4,400 yard season.

Biggest difference though-outside of a much better Offensive Coordinator-is Geno makes big and important plays with his legs a lot.

Looking back four years ago, we were happy with Mark coming along, but he really didn't take charge and lead that much.  We didn't mind because he was a rookie and we figured he would improve-which he did the next year with LaDainian Tomlinson in the backfield and Holmes/Braylon to throw to.

Definite love for Landry, he's the more polished receiver, but I was operating more under my dream scenario of already landing Lee or one of the big time receivers and using Beckham to groom and start off on KO and PR, something that he has more experience with. Mettenberger, who's going to be a very nice developmental piece thanks to his natural skill and Cam Cameron, has essentially had two NFL receivers to throw to all year and they've looked every bit the part.

It's an obvious statement, but Geno proving he can be the guy to build around opens up the entire off-season for us; could be very exciting. 

Gotcha...thought you were saying you liked Beckham more and I was a bit confused. Thought Landry was the clear cut better prospect. 

What year is Hill?  He's been impressive this season.  

I'm fine with Cumberland, he's better than I thought any of the TEs from last year could be. Nothing special, fills a role. With the team having a QB and all now I don't really give a sh*t if the pass catchers are superstars or not. This is Geno Smith's team, it goes where he and his best friends, the defense, take it. 

Welcome aboard, bitches. 

go beyond the stats knuckle head :tongue:....Hill looks to be more in control and that's a positive look at him going in the right direction. I'm as critical of WR's as anyone He's just starting to look a bit more polished instead of out right goofy which is the best word I could come up with to explain how he runs. Yesterday he caught two passes that were called back one he caught on the run over the middle and turned it up field nicely and the other in the end zone I liked what I saw on both plays. He also seems to be pretty tough.

I like Cumberland and haven't given up on Hill.  But basing their positive development on last week's game is laughable.  Both were categorically awful.

Cumberland stunk- brain lock type of game. Wont expect that to carry over though. Hill on the other hand...this has been reoccuring.

Cumberland has been decent this year but I would feel better about him as a #2 TE. if a top tier TE is available in FA or draft I still think you pick em up.

Idzik will draft on need and fill holes in free agency. We'll end up drafting Anthony Barr (OLB) and sign Eric Decker and Jermichael Finley in free agency.

Barr is having a monster season.  Couple that with a mind blowing combine and he might be a top 5, definitely a top 10 pick.

Cumberland makes a catch in the 4th quarter and we do not have to talk about a OT

The TD catch and the third down to ice the game was just too brutal to watch.  In fact, I had the game recorded on my DVR and erased it just to not watch it again.

The biggest differance between Geno and Mark is that Geno makes you believe that its more a matter of time and experience reading defenses, with Mark it was if he could just not make the errors to cost us the game. Sanchez would make some great throws downfield but not with any consistancy Geno has shown he can make those throws but needs to determine when to do so. Also Mark had far better offensive line and targets to throw to.

Geno Is learning the nuances of the position, reading defenses and will eventually develop the instincts to dissect defenses far beyond anything that Sanchez could do. I do not foresee Geno being overwhelmed by the game but rather see him becoming one of the better QB's who learn to take what the defense gives and make it work towards winning games.

I don't know yet.  He's only 7 games into his career. He's had a lot of bad moments, some good moments.  Yesterday he was ok, but they won because the defense stopped Brady and the Jets rushed the ball over 50 times.      If he continues to improve and he gets into a shoot out where the defense is just not on their game,  I will be impressed.  it's far easy to look decent when your defense shuts down a guy like Brady for almost 3 quarters compared to a game where it's 38-35 and you need to score again.    And these kinds of games happen often in the NFL.    

I see so many similarities as the 2009 team.  And most people were calling Mark Sanchize back then so i'm not going to suddenly think Geno is a savior because he had an avg game.  I mean if you look at the numbers yesterday, Brady and Smith had similar games.  Except Brady had a bad game and no rushing game,  and Smith was considered great and had a rushing attack.   

I don't know yet.  He's only 7 games into his career. He's had a lot of bad moments, some good moments.  Yesterday he was ok, but they won because the defense stopped Brady and the Jets rushed the ball over 50 times.      If he continues to improve and he gets into a shoot out where the defense is just not on their game,  I will be impressed.  it's far easy to look decent when your defense shuts down a guy like Brady for almost 3 quarters compared to a game where it's 38-35 and you need to score again.    And these kinds of games happen often in the NFL.    

I see so many similarities as the 2009 team.  And most people were calling Mark Sanchize back then so i'm not going to suddenly think Geno is a savior because he had an avg game.  I mean if you look at the numbers yesterday, Brady and Smith had similar games.  Except Brady had a bad game and no rushing game,  and Smith was considered great and had a rushing attack.   

Geno throwing a TD and rushing for a TD had nothing to do with the win? Interesting.

The Jets won because Geno outplayed Brady. Just like he outplayed Matt Ryan 2 weeks ago. Sanchez wasn't outplaying people, the Jets were.

Archived