Pam Oliver

CobraVerde

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/24/pam-oliver-causes-stir-at-super-bowl-breakfast-in-new-york/

As she prepares to work Super Bowl XLVIII at MetLife Stadium in February, Pam Oliver of FOX is getting a head start on winning friends and influencing people in the New York area.

According to Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post, Oliver caused a stir with remarks made at a New York-New Jersey Super Bowl breakfast for regional business leaders.

Per Hubbuch, the comments came during a roundtable discussion with owners of the Jets and Giants. He writes that Oliver drew “gasps, groans and more than a few boos for her odd and insulting comments.”

For instance, when Al Kelly, the chairman of the New York-New Jersey Super Bowl Committee, said there would probably be “a couple of idiots” who wouldn’t dress appropriately for the conditions at the game, Oliver said, “Probably Jets fans.”

She also asked Jets owner Woody Johnson, “How does Rex [Ryan] keep his job?” Giants co-owner Jonathan Tisch was asked, “[W]hat in the hell is the matter with the Giants?”

Hubbuch writes that the crowd of roughly 50 “roared” when Oliver asked Kelly and the team representatives how they intended “to instruct people of this area, particularly New Yorkers, to be nice? To say ‘please,’ ‘thank you’ and ‘I’ll get that’?”

She then added, “I’m sorry — I’m from the South.”

“I’m from New York City, and I take exception with that,” Tisch said. “New Yorkers are unbelievably hospitable.”

While Oliver was out of line, let’s not go too crazy on the actual or perceived hospitality of New Yorkers. Unless it’s now considered polite to barge onto an elevator before the person who is on the elevator has had a chance to exit.

The whole thing is a bit bizarre. FOX will be televising the game, and Oliver presumably will be working the sideline during the game. There’s no reason to gratuitously alienate the people who are helping host the event that FOX will be broadcasting.

Florio is such a smug a$$hole. Can't stand that mother****er.

I'm from the south, but spent 16 years in NYC.  People from the northeast can be rude. It's not just a matter of being direct or honest giving the impression of rudeness.  You do have a point, however about the south.  Many people here, at least traditionally, could be very two-faced...nice to your face while stabbing you in the back.  

I much prefer people being honest and letting others know where they stand.  During my time in NYC I did miss the politeness and friendliness of southerners, however.  I attribute much of the differences to climate differences and the differences between congested areas in and around big cities vs smaller towns and cities, and also the rat syndrome, where there's always competition for everything.  It brings out the worst in some people, and it becomes dog-eat-dog.

You're a very sweet and nice guy.

:winking0001:

Many people here, at least traditionally, could be very two-faced...nice to your face while stabbing you in the back.  

Yeah, there's a good bit of this in the south where I live now.  But sometimes "faking" being nice isn't always a bad thing:

The rule for all of us is perfectly simple. Do not waste time bothering whether you ‘love’ your neighbour; act as if you did. As soon as we do this we find one of the great secrets. When you are behaving as if you loved someone, you will presently come to love him. If you injure someone you dislike, you will find yourself disliking him more. If you do him a good turn, you will find yourself disliking him less.

- C.S. Lewis

That's what makes being an angry jerk a lot of the time, like at least a few if not many northeastern folk are guilty of, dangerous.  The more you act like a jerk because "that's the way you are" or you're "just being real", the more people will act like a jerk right back, and then everybody gets angrier and meaner.  Not a great way to live in my book.  

Overall, I'll take the southern hospitality even if there's some fake people mixed in.

Yeah, there's a good bit of this in the south where I live now. But sometimes "faking" being nice isn't always a bad thing:

The rule for all of us is perfectly simple. Do not waste time bothering whether you ‘love’ your neighbour; act as if you did. As soon as we do this we find one of the great secrets. When you are behaving as if you loved someone, you will presently come to love him. If you injure someone you dislike, you will find yourself disliking him more. If you do him a good turn, you will find yourself disliking him less.

- C.S. Lewis

That's what makes being an angry jerk a lot of the time, like at least a few if not many northeastern folk are guilty of, dangerous. The more you act like a jerk because "that's the way you are" or you're "just being real", the more people will act like a jerk right back, and then everybody gets angrier and meaner. Not a great way to live in my book.

Overall, I'll take the southern hospitality even if there's some fake people mixed in.

but the thing is, while people in the northeast might be rude to a total stranger (especially while driving) most face-to-face interactions aren't rude. usually, unless someone's being a douche, most people get along just fine. most people say please and thank you or, at worst, nothing at all. not being over-the-top fake friendly to everyone isn't the same as being rude.

It was an over generalization on my part, obviously there's a bunch of ass*holes in NY and the entire northeast, I was more defending the idea that it's the only place that has those types of people. I had an Aunt who lived in Rome Georgia that I used to visit a lot, on top of the countless track meets all through the SEC and my biggest surprise was how two-faced some of the people were, as you mentioned: it really came as a shock to me as I always had the notion that everyone was genuinely nice.  I think people in the northeast take exception to the stereotype that everyone is rude, just as much as people from the south take exception to the stereotype of everyone being slow or dumb. Clearly we all have a lot of both. It's honestly a bit surprising to see someone who's supposedly well-educated make that type of statement and think it'd go over well.

Yep, there are good and bad people everywhere.  

I can't even begin to fathom what the heck Ms. Oliver was thinking or how she thought people would respond.

Southerners are just as opinionated and smug as we are when they get to know you. It's just a difference of outright first impression kindness that they value and we do not. If Pam Sweet Tea Oliver grew up in a town where your uncle wasn't also the loc fire chief ie a town with some population density, it wouldn't be a celebration of humanity every time she saw a new face. Sorry that folks happen to inhabit the northeast, Pam.

Yeah, there's a good bit of this in the south where I live now.  But sometimes "faking" being nice isn't always a bad thing:

- C.S. Lewis

That's what makes being an angry jerk a lot of the time, like at least a few if not many northeastern folk are guilty of, dangerous.  The more you act like a jerk because "that's the way you are" or you're "just being real", the more people will act like a jerk right back, and then everybody gets angrier and meaner.  Not a great way to live in my book.  

I agree with your sentiment and love the C.S. Lewis quote.  Thanks for sharing it.  Real truth in that.

The interesting thing is that the hospitality and niceness can change others just as being rude and uncivil can. Living surrounded with niceness IS much better than living surrounded by anger and incivility.

but the thing is, while people in the northeast might be rude to a total stranger (especially while driving) most face-to-face interactions aren't rude. usually, unless someone's being a douche, most people get along just fine. most people say please and thank you or, at worst, nothing at all. not being over-the-top fake friendly to everyone isn't the same as being rude.

I agree.

So was she trying to be funny and it bombed cause thats the impression im getting from the article...am i wrong on that? Should i hate her.?

You know, I wondered the same thing when I read it.  If her intent was to be funny, she failed miserably.  If not, she's just dumb.  Either way she's pretty pathetic.  I don't hate her, but can't imagine how she can keep her job after insulting so many people.

I don't understand why the major networks essentially push these sideline reporters on their viewers at every game. Me and everyone I'm with complain about the camera being focused on them while action is going on behind them. I don't see how it helps ratings.

COach X says they need to tackle better and establish the run. Thanks for those insights, Pam.

Living in Texas for 25 years I took all the anti NY baloney one could muster. Even today all these years removed from the NE I get the "well your a New Yorker" comments (which I am very proud of BTW). I do come across as a rude individual but as someone said IMO I am just being direct and honest and something about the accent does turn people off.

Anyway some co-workers from Louisiana were bad mouthin the great state of NY one day saying NYers think this and think that  about southerners. Going on and on. I finally turn to them and say "I grew up there and lived there for half my life and trust me we don't think about you at all." Not a great slam but the look on their faces was priceless.

Living in Texas for 25 years I took all the anti NY baloney one could muster. Even today all these years removed from the NE I get the "well your a New Yorker" comments (which I am very proud of BTW). I do come across as a rude individual but as someone said IMO I am just being direct and honest and something about the accent does turn people off.

Anyway some co-workers from Louisiana were bad mouthin the great state of NY one day saying NYers think this and think that  about southerners. Going on and on. I finally turn to them and say "I grew up there and lived there for half my life and trust me we don't think about you at all." Not a great slam but the look on their faces was priceless.

That was one of the greatest lines ever when Don Draper said it to Ginsberg on 'Mad Men.' If you look like Jon Hamm and said it with an air of Draper assh*ole-ishness you probably did great.

I wonder about this, though. I met a kid in college who was from Georgia, and he asked me once if I ever thought about what things would be like if the outcome if the Civil War had turned out differently. I said no. He asked why. I said, "Because my side won."

I get the impression they think about us a lot more than we think about them.

She only got the job because Oprah is her mom.  Nepitism. First Shotty now this.  Tough to be a NY'er. 

Wow 

Is that true?  That explains a lot.   The poop doesn't fall far from the dog's butt

I think Crusher just said that all black people look the same. RACIST.

That was one of the greatest lines ever when Don Draper said it to Ginsberg on 'Mad Men.' If you look like Jon Hamm and said it with an air of Draper assh*ole-ishness you probably did great.

I wonder about this, though. I met a kid in college who was from Georgia, and he asked me once if I ever thought about what things would be like if the outcome if the Civil War had turned out differently. I said no. He asked why. I said, "Because my side won."

Really - never watched Mad Men before.  There was a Mockumentary called "The Confederate Staes of America" depicting what it 'might' look like if the South won. Entertaining watch but if your sensitive on racial stuff be warned. Might be on Netflix.

Archived