Vaunted

Lizard King

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People need to learn to enjoy wins in a rebuilding season while still realizing it is a rebuilding season.

This team was not built to be seriously competitive this year, and that's what you're watching today vs a team that has been building up for years.

Give it a little time.  It takes more than 1 year, and you have to get stupid-lucky when your team is $50-60M in the hole (compared to others) from bad contracts, plus the extra young talent from excessive picks traded away (not to mention poor picks that weren't).

I'm really only really bothered by 1 thing from this whole offseason, and that's Dee Milliner.  I wish someone who watched college ball could explain to me what made this guy so special that he was projected & thought of so highly by so many people.

People need to learn to enjoy wins in a rebuilding season while still realizing it is a rebuilding season.

This team was not built to be seriously competitive this year, and that's what you're watching today vs a team that has been building up for years.

Give it a little time.  It takes more than 1 year, and you have to get stupid-lucky when your team is $50-60M in the hole (compared to others) from bad contracts, plus the extra young talent from excessive picks traded away (not to mention poor picks that weren't).

I'm really only really bothered by 1 thing from this whole offseason, and that's Dee Milliner.  I wish someone who watched college ball could explain to me what made this guy so special that he was projected & thought of so highly by so many people.

when you couple that pick with Wilson, someone (Terry Bradway?) needs to be fired tomorrow. The resources you have tied up at CB precluded filling other problems. To miss twice in that spot is a firing offense. That is definitional failure. 

Because Nick Saban said so!

Truth is the kid the Raiders drafted was the best man cover corner in the draft, and had FAR, let me repeat FAR BETTER ball skills, Milliner makes Wilson's ball skills look good.

Give it a little time. It takes more than 1 year, and you have to get stupid-lucky when your team is $50-60M in the hole (compared to others) from bad contracts, plus the extra young talent from excessive picks traded away (not to mention poor picks that weren't).

I'm really only really bothered by 1 thing from this whole offseason, and that's Dee Milliner. I wish someone who watched college ball could explain to me what made this guy so special that he was projected & thought of so highly by so many people.

Exactly right on Milliner. Can anyone name the last time an Alabama cornerback went in the first round? I'll wait.

Well said.

But, but Indy did it.......

:winking0001:

when you couple that pick with Wilson, someone (Terry Bradway?) needs to be fired tomorrow. The resources you have tied up at CB precluded filling other problems. To miss twice in that spot is a firing offense. That is definitional failure. 

No doubt, man.

Then again, these are the same scouts that went so gaga over Revis that we used our 1st and 2nd round picks on him.  Given the two subsequent CB picks, I'm inclined to believe we just got lucky on Revis like no one's gotten lucky before on a CB. 

But we've right now got two CBs that we used 1st round picks on, and another we used a 2nd round pick on through trade (Cromartie), and the latter has a $14M cap number or whatever it is next year.  Oh yeah, and he sucks now also.  He's not a smart enough player to still look good when he's not literally 100% there physically.

If Milliner doesn't improve DRASTICALLY, it's quite a hole to dig out of.  How does a team, that still has plenty of holes, have the same needs at CB after taking a guy 9th overall as they were before taking him 9th overall?  The only thing preventing this from being a Gholston-like disaster is the monumental differences in their rookie contracts.

i'm not mad about losing this season. i'm really mad about all the resources we have pumped into defense to watch them be not all that good. rex is a dinosaur. makes a great defensove coordinator......but has no idea how to adapt a team to the current day nfl game

No doubt, man.

Then again, these are the same scouts that went so gaga over Revis that we used our 1st and 2nd round picks on him.  Given the two subsequent CB picks, I'm inclined to believe we just got lucky on Revis like no one's gotten lucky before on a CB. 

But we've right now got two CBs that we used 1st round picks on, and another we used a 2nd round pick on through trade (Cromartie), and the latter has a $14M cap number or whatever it is next year.  Oh yeah, and he sucks now also.  He's not a smart enough player to still look good when he's not literally 100% there physically.

If Milliner doesn't improve DRASTICALLY, it's quite a hole to dig out of.  How does a team, that still has plenty of holes, have the same needs at CB after taking a guy 9th overall as they were before taking him 9th overall?  The only thing preventing this from being a Gholston-like disaster is the monumental differences in their rookie contracts.

I could've told you Milliner was a bust the night of the draft. That pick was an utter joke and it's a HUGE opportunity cost for a rebuilding team. 

We're going to win some more games this year.  Hopes aside, we'll probably win 3-4 more.  I plan on enjoying those wins while not getting too nutty over the losses.

Next year we have double-digit draft picks and some $40M+ in cap room (with the ability to create even more if it was needed, though it won't be).

This wasn't a 1-year rebuild.  You're talking about turning over 2/3 of the team's starters.  To start this past offseason, the only ones not surely getting turned over long-term were Ferguson, Mangold, and Kerley on offense.  On D, it was Wilkerson and that's it.  Everyone else was in a show-me season IMO.  

Some are showing plenty: Davis, Richardson, Harrison, Howard, and don't forget Nick Folk.

Others are showing some good things but have a ways to go before convincing they should still be starting - or even on the team - for more than another year or two: Geno, Winters, Harris, Allen, Colon, Hill, Powell.

And still others have been real letdowns or are showing to be the cheap, temporary, stop-gap players they are:  Cromartie, Wilson, Milliner, Landry, (3 CBs and a safety; ouch), Holmes (duh), Pace, Ducasse.  Probably you can throw Garrard in there also if you really care.

This doesn't address other relative or outright disappointments in Ferguson & Mangold, both incoming RBs, and both drafted backup OLmen.

Also doesn't address one oft the best building blocks we've added in YEARS, and that's Mornhinweg.  Far from perfect, but an order of magnitude of an improvement there.

They have another whole year worth of moves to make to make the team solid, and maybe another year after that before we're just a team that "could make some noise" if a bunch of things fell our way.

The task at hand was a full-on gutting and rebuilding across the whole roster, not a simple retooling & tweaking here & there.  There was no chance - NONE - at a superbowl this year and only a letdown-by-others chance of even making the playoffs.  That's what I believed then and I still believe it now.  

i'm not mad about losing this season. i'm really mad about all the resources we have pumped into defense to watch them be not all that good. rex is a dinosaur. makes a great defensove coordinator......but has no idea how to adapt a team to the current day nfl game

I think he's adapted plenty on offense.  On defense, sadly, you're seeing a team that has SERIOUS issues in the secondary.  It's pathetic that 2 of our last 4 first round picks, and used a 2nd in the trade for Cromartie, have been at CB and it's easily the worst unit on the team.  Worse than our receivers.

I think he's adapted plenty on offense.  On defense, sadly, you're seeing a team that has SERIOUS issues in the secondary.  It's pathetic that 2 of our last 4 first round picks, and used a 2nd in the trade for Cromartie, have been at CB and it's easily the worst unit on the team.  Worse than our receivers.

And sadly, we're going to have to devote MORE resources to it. 

you think so? because this team has had and still has an absolutely terrible offense since rex has been here. my point is he still wants to try to build a team with an '85 bears level defense......and in today's nfl it's just not possible. you need to be able to pressure the qb without all-out blitzes and you need to be able to score points almost at will. instead w ehave a defense that can stop the run and an offense that can barely score

I didn't know anything about him.  So far it certainly looks like a huge lost opportunity.

I can't believe they didn't draft an offensive player with either pick. At least Richardson has panned out, but like, they could have drafted Richardson AND an offensive player, if other people knew Milliner was so bad. I really wanted (speak of the devil) Eifert, since we have our usual problem of zero to one tight ends who do anything at one time.

kinda stupid to give up on Milliner...  he basically missed training camp and most of the season thus far.  he was always going to have ups and downs getting acclimated to the pro game and nagging injuries are only making it worse.  If he's still this bad this time next year you can call him a bust.

kinda stupid to give up on Milliner...  he basically missed training camp and most of the season thus far.  he was always going to have ups and downs getting acclimated to the pro game and nagging injuries are only making it worse.  If he's still this bad this time next year you can call him a bust.

I don't think that anyone who isn't hysterical and overreacting is calling him a bust.  It's obviously too early to make that judgement.

The problem is that he's giving up 15 plus yards every single time that the ball is thrown his way.   His awfulness is compounded by the fact that the rest of the secondary is only marginally better.

you think so? because this team has had and still has an absolutely terrible offense since rex has been here. my point is he still wants to try to build a team with an '85 bears level defense......and in today's nfl it's just not possible. you need to be able to pressure the qb without all-out blitzes and you need to be able to score points almost at will. instead w ehave a defense that can stop the run and an offense that can barely score

Yes, absolutely.

What you're seeing on offense this year is a complete lack of talent combined with an unready rookie QB.  The philosophy on offense is worlds different.  Heading into this week our rookie QB was among the leading QBs in downfield passing, with (comparatively) no one to pass it to.

This team hasn't been about all-out blitzing for a couple of years.  We blitz sometimes, but no more than any other teams.  I haven't seen more than a handful of "all out blitzes" this whole season.  Not like we used to.  I've seen the D showing all-out blitz, but then 2 of the 3 blitzers end up dropping into coverage.

The other thing is he is not building the team at all, let alone building it the same as before.  He is not the GM. I don't even think he has a tremendous influence on who we picked up this year.  The only GM-type moves he makes are on his own coaching staff.  He fired Sparano, hired Mornhinweg, hired David Lee, and moved himself to quasi-DC after Pettine took the DC job with Buffalo.

Yes, absolutely.

What you're seeing on offense this year is a complete lack of talent combined with an unready rookie QB.  The philosophy on offense is worlds different.  Heading into this week our rookie QB was among the leading QBs in downfield passing, with (comparatively) no one to pass it to.

This team hasn't been about all-out blitzing for a couple of years.  We blitz sometimes, but no more than any other teams.  I haven't seen more than a handful of "all out blitzes" this whole season.  Not like we used to.  I've seen the D showing all-out blitz, but then 2 of the 3 blitzers end up dropping into coverage.

The other thing is he is not building the team at all, let alone building it the same as before.  He is not the GM. I don't even think he has a tremendous influence on who we picked up this year.  The only GM-type moves he makes are on his own coaching staff.  He fired Sparano, hired Mornhinweg, hired David Lee, and moved himself to quasi-DC after Pettine took the DC job with Buffalo.

Who ever the coach is MM is a keeper. Hasn't tried to shoehorn the talent into a scheme, simply doing the best he can with what he has. it sounds really simple and obvious but we've had 2 OCs before him who were so much worse it really is a major improvement. No idea what happened in Detroit or why Reid dumped him, but he should be here for a while. 

Yes, absolutely.

i agree with the fact that this year the offense has finally showed a scheme that seems to understand the nfl game in it's modern iteration. the problem is that up until now rex ryan has tried to build a team that can't succeed under the current rules. he has not been able to adapt.

He was in the same draft that saw dropped jaws over a G prospect falling into the double digits after another one went 7. He's closer to Antrel Rolle than Revis in upside, and was not that hyped relative to other CB prospects in recent memory. His biggest pluses were size and experience. 

something I don't like about Milliner is this is the 2nd time he's been seemingly fine with getting benched.  he showed no emotion when fielding questions and actually said he agreed he had to get taken out and that Walls played well.

something I don't like about Milliner is this is the 2nd time he's been seemingly fine with getting benched.  he showed no emotion when fielding questions and actually said he agreed he had to get taken out and that Walls played well.

what do you want him to say?

what do you want him to say?

I guess you had to see him while he was saying it.  Both times I've seen him interviewed after being benched he doesn't seem to care at all.

I'd like for him to at least act like he's bothered in some way.

I'm really only really bothered by 1 thing from this whole offseason, and that's Dee Milliner. I wish someone who watched college ball could explain to me what made this guy so special that he was projected & thought of so highly by so many people.

Because he went to 'Bama and won two Nat'l Championships. He may turn out to be a good player, but he sure looked lost - and I'm talking Kyle Wilson lost - against the Bengals. Jets don't have a CB that can cover ANY halfway decent WR. Cro included.

Saw the same thing on the post game and hard to say what you would prefer he say. And whether what he says there much matters anyway.

how about I played log dog sh-t but I'm going to do everything in my power to get better and fast.  my coaches expect more out of me and I expect more from myself. 

Archived