Alshon Jeffery

Gastineau Lives

He dropped the same reason a lot of those guys drop: suspect conditioning/he was a fatty, lackadaisical in practice and meetings and after a monster sophomore year he had a down year in which people say he didn't care. It's the same issues that you're seeing Clowney and Lee go through currently. It's tough to give money to a guy who you think could check out the second he gets a big contract.  He's obviously extremely talented, but I'm sure it doesn't hurt having Brandon Marshal play opposite from him and Cutler throwing him the ball.

He dropped the same reason a lot of those guys drop: suspect conditioning/he was a fatty, lackadaisical in practice and meetings and after a monster sophomore year he had a down year in which people say he didn't care. It's the same issues that you're seeing Clowney and Lee go through currently. It's tough to give money to a guy who you think could check out the second he gets a big contract.  He's obviously extremely talented, but I'm sure it doesn't hurt having Brandon Marshal play opposite from him and Cutler throwing him the ball.

Sure, but playing opposite Brandon Marshall and having Cutler throw him the ball would not make him catch with his hands or any of the other failings in his game. It's not like defenses are keying on him and taking him away.

Sure, but playing opposite Brandon Marshall and having Cutler throw him the ball would not make him catch with his hands or any of the other failings in his game. It's not like defenses are keying on him and taking him away.

The two games after he went off, the lowly Giants focused in on him and he had one catch for 7 yards. He's a very talented kid, but he's not ready to be a #1 yet and without a doubt benefits from playing opposite a true #1. You're comparing him to Hill who's in a completely different situation. He's developing quicker than Hill, because he wasn't nearly as raw coming out of college; he didn't drop because of talent or being raw, he dropped because teams didn't trust his work ethic and drive for the game. 

Alshon Jeffery had bust written all over him before the draft.  When you show up out of shape for the one event in your life that you need to be in shape for it does not bode well for you.....usually.  He has done a good job as a pro and Chicago looks good for drafting him.  You could say the same thing about a few different receivers that were drafted just after Hill including Ruben Randle, TY Hilton and Mohamed Sanu.

I just looked at his player profile and saw that he was drafted with the 13th pick in the 2nd round last year. Stephen Hill was drafted two spots ahead of him. How the **** did that happen?

I can't even think about this it's so ******* aggravating.

I could be wrong here, but...

Combine results (Hill) vs. scouting reports (Alshon)

I thought there were some character concerns with Jeffrey, or he was over-weight or something. Hill was like Gholston, his athleticism made him climb boards - the prospect of teaching him to play receiver in a real offense tantalized teams. Hill is the type of guy you select in Rd 2 if you are the Packers and loaded at WR and have a QB who makes every WR on the roster better. You can develop him slowly and wait on him to learn the position all over again. Tannenbaum started making a lot of those "we are stocked with talent, we can wait on this project" types of picks, which is why he got canned. 

Alshon Jeffery had bust written all over him before the draft.  When you show up out of shape for the one event in your life that you need to be in shape for it does not bode well for you.....usually.  He has done a good job as a pro and Chicago looks good for drafting him.  You could say the same thing about a few different receivers that were drafted just after Hill including Ruben Randle, TY Hilton and Mohamed Sanu.

I know. I always thought he was the fattest looking wide receiver I'd ever seen. He had the body of a forty year old. I'm just annoyed. Hindsight is 20/20.

I could be wrong here, but...

Combine results (Hill) vs. scouting reports (Alshon)

I thought there were some character concerns with Jeffrey, or he was over-weight or something. Hill was like Gholston, his athleticism made him climb boards - the prospect of teaching him to play receiver in a real offense tantalized teams. Hill is the type of guy you select in Rd 2 if you are the Packers and loaded at WR and have a QB who makes every WR on the roster better. You can develop him slowly and wait on him to learn the position all over again. Tannenbaum started making a lot of those "we are stocked with talent, we can wait on this project" types of picks, which is why he got canned. 

In that case, we should have drafted Jordy Nelson instead of trading up for Dustin Keller.

In that case, we should have drafted Jordy Nelson instead of trading up for Dustin Keller.

yeah but to be honest Nelson drafted by the Jets would of had him destroying his knee in preseason with Miami after a very pedestrian stint during his rookie contract with the Jets.

Keller however, would be one of the top receiving TEs in the league still going strong in Green Bay.

Archived