Cimini: Reed signing shows Jets not rebuilding

Jetsfan80

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/31178/reed-signing-shows-jets-not-rebuilding

Reed signing shows Jets not rebuilding

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

ny_a_ereed_cr_200x300.jpg

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Six months ago, when his football team resembled a half-completed jigsaw puzzle, New York Jets owner Woody Johnson tossed out the P-word.

"Be patient," he told reporters at an NFL symposium in Philadelphia, sending a message to his fan base.

With a new general manager, a seemingly lame-duck coach and a star-less roster, the Jets were the epitome of a rebuilding team. Nine games into this season, the narrative has changed. So has the message. That became apparent Thursday with the acquisition of Canton-bound safety Ed Reed. Once again, it was a P-word.

Without uttering a word, the Jets announced themselves as a legitimate contender. You don't sign a 35-year-old safety, whose career is running on fumes, if you're in rebuilding mode. At 5-4, the Jets are in the thick of it. They're going for it, a decision that wasn't lost on the veterans in the locker room.

"All our chips are going to the middle of the table," guard Willie Colon said. "It's either now or never."

This move is akin to trading for a proven closer at the start of a pennant race. Obviously, Reed isn't what he used to be, but his mere presence in the middle of the field is bound to have an impact on how teams attack the Jets' defense. They will think twice before throwing deep.

Nine Pro Bowls, 61 career interceptions and 1,500-plus return yards buys a lot of respect in the NFL. Reed can roam center field, doing his thing and helping the Jets' suspect deep-ball defense. They've allowed seven completions of at least 45 yards, uncharacteristic of a Rex Ryan defense.

"Let 'em throw it there now," boasted Ryan, who reached into his Baltimore Ravens past to help secure his present and future.

There's no downside to signing Reed. The cost was minimal, probably the veteran minimum salary, and he won't affect the salary cap beyond this season. It will mean less playing time for Antonio Allen and Jaiquawn Jarrett, the second and third safeties, but we're talking about a couple of unproven players.

Allen, who made one of the biggest plays of the season (a pick-six against Tom Brady), might be a terrific player one day. The Jets don't want to wait for one day. It's a win-now mentality.

"When you're in the situation we're in right now, if you have a chance to add a piece you feel can help you, we'll do that," said defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman, who coached with Ryan in Baltimore when Reed was in his heyday.

Ryan scoffed when it was suggested that Reed's arrival represents a go-for-broke philosophy, but the deed spoke louder than the words. Make no mistake, Ryan was on cloud nine. You half-expected him to roll up his sleeve and reveal a tattoo of Reed.

"We signed a safety today, a guy named Ed Reed," he said at the top of his news conference, trying to play it with a straight face -- but failing.

Ryan is on a remarkable run. Less than two weeks after beating his twin brother, New Orleans Saints defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, he landed one of the greatest players he's ever coached. Clearly, he still has plenty of influence within the organization.

A lot of people figured he'd be a puppet under John Idzik, but the slimmed-down Ryan still carries a lot of weight. Think about it: They signed a couple of his old Ravens in the offseason (safety Dawan Landry and pass-rusher Antwan Barnes) and they used their two first-round picks on defensive players. Either Idzik is afraid to say no to Ryan or he's making a genuine effort to help his coach succeed -- the coach he awkwardly inherited.

Ryan said Idzik was smiling when he walked into his office Tuesday, when word broke that Reed had been released by the Houston Texans. Idzik, expecting Ryan to make a pitch for Reed, already had instructed members of the personnel department to evaluate tape of Reed's seven games this season.

"He had already beat me to the punch," Ryan said of Idzik.

Eventually, Idzik signed off on Reed, but it was Ryan who was the driving force. Yes, he has a blind spot when it comes to his former players, so there’s always a chance that Reed has nothing left. But this move feels right for the Jets.

Reed all about it: The Jets are serious about winning. This season.

Apparently, one cannot be both competitive and rebuilding, because according to Richie, the two are mutually exclusive. The team has a rookie QB and 13? new starters on both sides of the ball combined, we're definitely rebuilding. This is one of the best scenarios as a fan: you are rebuilding your team, shedding dead weight, finding out what players will have a future on your roster all the while still competing for a playoff spot. I don't care about labels, so long as we continue to win and our young guys show improvement.

NY Jets signing of Ed Reed message they are ready for playoff push GM John Idzik reunites Rex Ryan with one of his favorite players in a low-risk move that could pay dividends for the Jets
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 14, 2013, 11:50 PM

Print
SHARE THIS URL:
image-1-1517984.jpg MARK BONIFACIO/ NEW YORK DAILY NEWS  

Ed Reed speaks to the media at his first Jets practice. 

When Rex Ryan heard the news that Ed Reed was about to hit the open market, he bolted up to general manager John Idzik’s office hoping for an early Christmas present.

“It’s only rumor that I pulled a hamstring,” Ryan said.

More than three months after the Jets were expected to be nothing more than elevator music on the soundtrack of the 2013 NFL season, the organization made a smart and aggressive move to sign the future Hall of Fame safety.

Idzik’s decision to add the 35-year-old Reed two days after he was waived by the Texans made it clear that the 5-4 Jets have wisely shifted away from their rebuilding mindset to add a piece that may help them make a playoff push with seven weeks to go in the regular season.

“We’re just trying to take that next step,” said safety Dawan Landry, who played with Reed in Baltimore. “The playoff run is on our mind.”

Ryan’s reunion with one of his favorite players with the Ravens had little to do with sentiment. It was a low-risk move that could pay dividends for the Jets 24th-ranked pass defense.

Defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman, who was Reed’s position coach in Baltimore, said the veteran will have a “defined role” in certain packages against the Bills on Sunday. Whether that role grows in coming weeks will be determined by Reed’s caliber of play.

“I would say it’s a false statement that he can’t play anymore,” Ryan said.

Ryan, Thurman and team scouts reviewed Reed’s seven games with the Texans and concluded that the skills that have him destined for Canton haven’t completely eroded.

Although Reed, the best ball-hawking safety of this generation, didn’t have an interception in seven games with the Texans, Ryan & Co. noticed that opposing offenses still shied away from throwing in his direction.

“I’m ready to go. You’ll see,” Reed said. “You’ll be the judge of that, too.”

The Jets’ secondary, the weak link in Ryan’s defense through the first nine games, has been vulnerable against the vertical passing game. Reed, who ranks eighth all-time with 61 career interceptions, is an instant upgrade over younger safeties Antonio Allen, Jaiquawn Jarrett and Josh Bush even if age has robbed him of some of his skills.

“We’ve had some issues with the deep ball,” said Ryan, whose safeties have only two picks this year. “Let them throw it now.”

Ryan has treated the use of the word “playoffs” as a taboo, but Reed admitted that the Jets’ postseason position − they hold a one-game lead for the second wildcard spot − played a significant role in choosing them over the Patriots.

“That’s a huge factor,” Reed said. “It’s right there. … I know Rex’s ultimate goal. I don't have to harp on that. I know what he coaches for.’’

Reed’s familiarity with Ryan’s system coupled with a high football IQ made it a strategically smart signing. Idzik didn’t mortgage the future with draft picks or make anything more than a minimal financial investment. It made sense on every level for a team that considers itself to be a legitimate playoff threat.

“He can make a solid contribution,” one league executive said. “(The Jets) need safety help. With his leadership and knowledge of the game, he should be able to help this fairly young team down the stretch.”

There is some concern around the league, however, that Reed isn’t fully healthy from offseason hip surgery.

“His better days are behind him, but it’s a position of need for them that wasn’t really addressed in the offseason,” an AFC talent evaluator said. “I worry about his health and how much his hip surgery in the offseason has affected him. You can’t discount his smarts, instincts, field vision and communication skills. But I see a little less speed, burst and explosiveness in coverage.”

Reed is no longer the dominating force on the back end that created sleepless nights for opposing offensive coordinators each week, but he doesn’t have to be for Ryan.

He’s a Super Bowl champion and a player who “gets instant respect from the team,” Thurman said.

Ryan maintained that he didn’t have to convince Idzik to bring Reed aboard, either.

They delivered a message loud and clear during this up and down season: The Jets believe they have a chance to play more than 16 games this season.

So, they’re going for it.

http://twitter.com/MMehtaNYDN

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-idzik-rex-future-article-1.1517972#ixzz2kixanOJq

Apparently, one cannot be both competitive and rebuilding, because according to Richie, the two are mutually exclusive. The team has a rookie QB and 13? new starters on both sides of the ball combined, we're definitely rebuilding. This is one of the best scenarios as a fan: you are rebuilding your team, shedding dead weight, finding out what players will have a future on your roster all the while still competing for a playoff spot. I don't care about labels, so long as we continue to win and our young guys show improvement.

It's not even as if Reed was costly or blocking a superior younger player or draft pick from playing.

The Reed signing shows nothing but the Jets adding a veteran to a young locker room, at a time where they hold the 2nd wildcard spot.

Rebuilding is what you call a losing season.

Nobody with any sense from any NFL team will tell you they are about to have a rebuild year, they will tell you however that they had a rebuilding year after losing a ton.

Exactly! If Cimini thinks the Jets aren't short in several (some would say many) positions, he clearly hasn't got a clue.

The 1 thing the Jets have going for them for the rest of the year is there is no team left on the schedule that can just flat out exploit us through the air like the Bengals did, and we should be in every game until the end, the blowouts (with possibly the exception of the Panthers game if they control the line of scrimmage and we can't run the ball) should be a thing of the past, and I like our chances with our front 7, (and if Milliner improves/gets healthy, Cromartie finds his 2012 form, and Reed has anything left in the tank the D could be massively better, thats hard to believe i know), and Nick Folk in 1 score games right now.

The Reed signing shows nothing but the Jets adding a veteran to a young locker room, at a time where they hold the 2nd wildcard spot.

Nobody with any sense from any NFL team will tell you they are about to have a rebuild year, they will tell you however that they had a rebuilding year after losing a ton.

I call it reloading on the fly [exclamation point]

In this salary cap era of the NFL, if your not rebuilding every single year your not managing your organization properly for continued success year in year out, yes you can decide to go for it when you see a window, but whether you succeed, or not your just a year, or 2 away from a really bad season. The right way is to continue to rebuild every season so when the older players are no longer the same effective players from years past you have the replacements already in place, and if your scouting/drafting strategy is good you will have a window each, and every season, sure it won't be opened as wide if you made a move to help the short term, and hinder the future, but I'll take my chances with an every year open window over a 2 year wide open window every time, odds are much more in your favor to win that way IMO.

Just look at the Ravens, they just won the Super Bowl, and immediately turned over half their roster, mostly because of 2 aging HOF's leaving, and having to commit almost 20% of their salary cap to their starting QB, but to their credit they didn't try, and patch the holes so they can guarantee a 10-6 season, and another playoff appearance, instead they started throwing the young kids into the fire, and realized that if they were going to make some noise this year it would have to be because of there 20 million QB, unfortunately for them their O-line has let him, and the running game down, but it's still early, and I wouldn't count them out yet.

This signing is no different then when the Jets signed Winslow, Colon in the off season and brought in Josh Cribbs after he was released. It was a move to bring in a vet at a low cost. The only difference is that the name is Ed Reed 9 time pro bowler. 

To use a Parcells term these guys are "Hold the Fort" guys.

In this salary cap era of the NFL, if your not rebuilding every single year your not managing your organization properly for continued success year in year out, yes you can decide to go for it when you see a window, but whether you succeed, or not your just a year, or 2 away from a really bad season.

Read: Pittsburgh Steelers.

Unfortunately it's not exclusive to Cimini. Rebuilding to dummies means you throw away 2-4 (at min) seasons to stock up on talent and launch a decade of greatness. Any deviation from that is doing it wrong and messing up that future decade of dominance. 

Unfortunately it's mutually exclusive to far more than Cimini. Rebuilding to dummies means you throw away 2-4 (at min) seasons to stock up on talent and launch a decade of greatness. Any deviation from that is doing it wrong and messing up that future decade of dominance. 

This is exactly right, and incredibly sad.

Unfortunately it's not exclusive to Cimini. Rebuilding to dummies means you throw away 2-4 (at min) seasons to stock up on talent and launch a decade of greatness. Any deviation from that is doing it wrong and messing up that future decade of dominance. 

Pretty much. Every NFL team is in a constant state of rebuilding and it probably wouldn't be too hard to prove what with the immense amount of turnover from the 53 man roster from year to year.  

or

they really need secondary help, lol

what it really shows is we now have a GM who doesn't trade for players who are going to be released and clear waivers

thank god

I was thinking that actually. I feel like this is the type of situation where Tannenbaum would've considered throwing away a late-day pick on this kind of thing had he known Reed was available. Especially considering the fact that towards the end of his tenure he was 100% into save-my-job mode.

I was thinking that actually. I feel like this is the type of situation where Tannenbaum would've considered throwing away a late-day pick on this kind of thing had he known Reed was available. Especially considering the fact that towards the end of his tenure he was 100% into save-my-job mode.

yup.  pretty sure he traded for tebow to avoid a "bidding war"  lol

Archived