The Drumbeat slowly gets louder for Simms to Start

Latinlawyer

again, the line is collapsing much more quickly because any team can bring the house without fear. It goes hand in hand

Winters doesn't block anyone and our receivers can't beat press man. It's not all Geno. Geno gave guys shots yesterday they few times we threw down the field...and a lot of times Nelson, Salas didn't even make an attempt to attack the football. Cumberland too- got the ball ripped away by a guy half his size. Look around the league...WR's bail out QB's a lot. Not even bail out...they catch passes while covered.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Winters doesn't block anyone and our receivers can't beat press man. It's not all Geno. Geno gave guys shots yesterday they few times we threw down the field...and a lot of times Nelson, Salas didn't even make an attempt to attack the football. Cumberland too- got the ball ripped away by a guy half his size. Look around the league...WR's bail out QB's a lot. Not even bail out...they catch passes while covered.

I completely disagree. The receivers have broken routes to try and adjust regardless of what commentators who are Geno appologists as well are saying. 2-3 dropped balls...Not a good stat but not terrible. Geno has proven that he is not the answer as Simms may never be, but let's end the speculation and get an answer.

the Jets have the best run defense in all of football

Between the Two-Time AFC Championship Game Participant trophies, the One Of The Most Physical Teams In The League trophy, and the Best Run Defense In All of Football trophy, we're gonna need to clear some shelf space!

Between the Two-Time AFC Championship Game Participant trophies, the One Of The Most Physical Teams In The League trophy, and the Best Run Defense In All of Football trophy, we're gonna need to clear some shelf space!

This guy wants to fire Rex. I give him a reason why Rex shouldn't be fired. You turn that into me giving Rex trophies. I don't think Rex is the best coach in the NFL. I just don't think this team gets better by firing him. 

nobody but a small, vocal group of fans is crying for Simms to start. pulling Sanchez for McElroy last season was acceptable because Sanchez wasn't a rookie. Smith is a rookie, and not every white guy sitting on the bench is Brady waiting to happen.

Smith is most likely going to get the whole year. This team isn't doing anything - too many holes besides QB. Let's just see what happens.

Agree

Simms will probably stink.  The key word is probably.  We already know that at this point Smith does suck.  Lets see if Simms has matured since Tenn.

If not the Jets move on from Simms next year, find more competition for Smith, and see what happens next (Groan)

It's not rocket science but, THIS. If you think otherwise, well then, you're just a super stupid person. 

Really? Why?

The NFL script has yet to eliminate the Jets officially from playoff contention. You have to really go out of your way to be eliminated from playoff contention in the NFL before Week 15/16, I feel. Jets being one game under .500 isn't enough to sh*t pants over. 

It comes back to -we  are a disaster on offense - . Blame it on Geno who deserves it but also the receivers and offensive line. Also Marty and Rex and Idzik share the blame. We could not overhaul an entire team in one season

And Geno hasn't been horsesh*t? It's not like we are asking the CS to bench Brady. It is Geno we are talking about. Yes, the one that managed 3points on offense. I'm sure we can score even if we had Brad Smith as a QB.

The problem is that so many of you so consistently believe that the backup QB of the Jets is the next Brady waiting to happen because he dominated the second half of preseason game 4. 

I say clear the space for Jon Bevell's coaching tree or something, amirite!?!!?

The way I see it, looking at the whole body of work, Eugene, aside from a few really good throws, has not been an accurate passer.  He consistently has underthrown the deep ball and overthrown the medium range passes.  Being inaccurate redefines what is open, unless a receiver is blanketed by double coverage - the receiver is always open - as long as the velocity and placement of the ball is perfect - Gen0 has proven he cannot throw the ball on target on a consistent basis and consequently sits back and waits for that perfect opportunity where a receiver breaks wide open - that rarely happens. He showed some poise, some moxie, created some hope, however in the end, I just do not see him as the future...

This post illustrates what a lot of the "weaponz" cries always leave out.  Our QBs cannot fit the ball into the same small hole that other (good) QBs do.  Or they do so only rarely.  I'm watching that game last night - and granted, it's not fair to compare a rookie with footwork/motion issues to two all-time greats - and I see plenty of passes that have like a 12-18" window for a pass to be completed.  More than that and it's too far out in front or it's batted away from behind.  Off by a yard and it's picked off.  

Our receiver corps CLEARLY needs some major upgrades.  But people are unrealistically believing that it means there will be ridiculous amounts of separation - the type required to make a Mark Sanchez or a rookie Geno Smith look like good QBs.  Any dope can complete 60% of his passes if there's that type of separation mixed in with checkdowns.  What makes these top QBs so good is the ability to complete passes even when the margin for error is so minuscule.  It's the difference between one of Geno's deep passes dying in the air and falling into the hands of a beaten CB, and a TD pass to a receiver who has 1/3 of 1 step on Cromartie.  Of COURSE we need better receivers, but that isn't going to be enough.  More than that, we need an upgrade at who's delivering the ball.  Whether that's Smith improving dramatically, or Simms, or someone else, I care not who it is.  But even with the league's rules making it easier than ever to pass, we still need a certain minimum baseline performance from the QB or our passing game will still suck no matter what rules get implemented.

This post illustrates what a lot of the "weaponz" cries always leave out.  Our QBs cannot fit the ball into the same small hole that other (good) QBs do.  Or they do so only rarely.  I'm watching that game last night - and granted, it's not fair to compare a rookie with footwork/motion issues to two all-time greats - and I see plenty of passes that have like a 12-18" window for a pass to be completed.  More than that and it's too far out in front or it's batted away from behind.  Off by a yard and it's picked off.  

Our receiver corps CLEARLY needs some major upgrades.  But people are unrealistically believing that it means there will be ridiculous amounts of separation - the type required to make a Mark Sanchez or a rookie Geno Smith look like good QBs.  Any dope can complete 60% of his passes if there's that type of separation mixed in with checkdowns.  What makes these top QBs so good is the ability to complete passes even when the margin for error is so minuscule.  It's the difference between one of Geno's deep passes dying in the air and falling into the hands of a beaten CB, and a TD pass to a receiver who has 1/3 of 1 step on Cromartie.  Of COURSE we need better receivers, but that isn't going to be enough.  More than that, we need an upgrade at who's delivering the ball.  Whether that's Smith improving dramatically, or Simms, or someone else, I care not who it is.  But even with the league's rules making it easier than ever to pass, we still need a certain minimum baseline performance from the QB or our passing game will still suck no matter what rules get implemented.

Geno, to me, demonstrated that ability early in the season- before the OL fell apart pass pro wise, and prior to teams sending the house on obvious passing downs, Protection was much better earlier in the year and Geno was "throwing guys open" in tight spaces. Geno was throwing the ball well down the field earlier this season for chunk yardage plays. Not anymore- obviously we've been playing better defenses, but our receivers cant get off the line, Geno hasnt had much time to throw....and were left with a cluster **** because this isnt a team built for the short passing game(especially with Kerley out). Brian Winters has been JP Machado level terrible. He just simply cant play right now.

The rules are there to enhance passing- but there's no rule against press coverage within 5 yards yet...and that's where our guys struggle the most. They also struggle making contested catches- which both Denver and New England routinely do. Cumberland had a shot yesterday and got beat up by a DB half his size. Also doesnt help Stephen Hill is terrible at football. You're also seeing why David Nelson is a career journeyman. 

Geno, to me, demonstrated that ability early in the season- before the OL fell apart pass pro wise, and prior to teams sending the house on obvious passing downs, Protection was much better earlier in the year and Geno was "throwing guys open" in tight spaces. Geno was throwing the ball well down the field earlier this season for chunk yardage plays. Not anymore- obviously we've been playing better defenses, but our receivers cant get off the line, Geno hasnt had much time to throw....and were left with a cluster **** because this isnt a team built for the short passing game(especially with Kerley out). Brian Winters has been JP Machado level terrible. He just simply cant play right now. 

the OL is not playing worse than earlier in the year. 

the line has always been 4 good players and a bad left guard. that's how it has been all year.

http://turnonthejets.com/2013/11/the-new-york-jets-big-man-report-week-11-toj/#more-19012

the difference now is that other teams are blitzing more, cause they know Geno can't beat it. 

there were several plays last game where Joe Flacco got blitzed, had less than 2 seconds to throw but still threw it. he didn't always complete it but he recognized the situation and got rid of it.

that's what a QB in this league has to do otherwise it's gonna be jailbreak time every passing situation. 

while I agree the OL can be better... the problem with the offense isn't teh OL

the line has always been 4 good players and a bad left guard. that's how it has been all year.

http://turnonthejets.com/2013/11/the-new-york-jets-big-man-report-week-11-toj/#more-19012

the difference now is that other teams are blitzing more, cause they know Geno can't beat it. 

there were several plays last game where Joe Flacco got blitzed, had less than 2 seconds to throw but still threw it. he didn't always complete it but he recognized the situation and got rid of it.

that's what a QB in this league has to do otherwise it's gonna be jailbreak time every passing situation. 

Shut up.  The line is terrible. 

He got rid of it to Torrey Smith and Jacoby Jones who are both burners. Geno would be throwing it up to who exactly? David Nelson? Our interior line play has been dismal recently. Teams who can apply interior pressure have abused the Jets- and it's not getting any easier with Cleveland and Carolina. Mangold has not had a good season, Winters sucks and for as much as I like Colon in the locker room, he's stunk.

He got rid of it to Torrey Smith and Jacoby Jones who are both burners. Geno would be throwing it up to who exactly? David Nelson? Our interior line play has been dismal recently. Teams who can apply interior pressure have abused the Jets- and it's not getting any easier with Cleveland and Carolina. Mangold has not had a good season, Winters sucks and for as much as I like Colon in the locker room, he's stunk.

The problem isn't who he's throwing it to but when he is throwing it (or not throwing it). Geno right now is seeing blitz and curling up into the fetal position. That's not on the OL or the weaponz.

btw flacco is also throwing to ed dickson and marlon brown. He lost Kelechi Osemele for the year and has AQ shipley at guard (only slightly better than Winters). Geno Gradkowski at center has been a huge let down from Matt Birk last season.

RE the Jets OL but they all grade out fine except Winters. above 80% at 4 of the 5 spots. It's not the greatest unit ever but the QB is not functioning at a basic NFL level and that's not on the protection.

The problem isn't who he's throwing it to but when he is throwing it (or not throwing it). Geno right now is seeing blitz and curling up into the fetal position. That's not on the OL or the weaponz.

Everything is running directly through Winters. You're not stepping up into a pocket that isnt there.

And even with the blitz coming- we've seen our receivers not even looking at the QB or recognizing blitz. They;re missing Kerley big time.

This guy wants to fire Rex. I give him a reason why Rex shouldn't be fired. You turn that into me giving Rex trophies. I don't think Rex is the best coach in the NFL. I just don't think this team gets better by firing him. 

Has it gotten better by keeping him?

Has it gotten better by keeping him?

historically Rex is one of the most successful Jets HC's ever. He's basically the best all time behind Tuna. 

Another factor to consider when advocating for a new HC is that so called good HC's want no part of this job. 

Everything is running directly through Winters. You're not stepping up into a pocket that isnt there.

And even with the blitz coming- we've seen our receivers not even looking at the QB or recognizing blitz. They;re missing Kerley big time.

there are gonna be times when the defense brings more than the offense can block and Geno is awful at realizing he's in those situations. 

historically Rex is one of the most successful Jets HC's ever. He's basically the best all time behind Tuna. 

Another factor to consider when advocating for a new HC is that so called good HC's want no part of this job. 

You didn't answer my question, has this team gotten better by keeping Rex?

there are gonna be times when the defense brings more than the offense can block and Geno is awful at realizing he's in those situations. 

He's trying to get a quick release to receivers who are still being shot up at the LOS and arent getting off of the line. Teams are blitzing like crazy because they dont fear getting hit with short completions and YAC. We dont have a slot player right now. Cumberland's being forced to block(which he stinks at too) and that leaves Nelson, Salas, and whatever Holmes decides to do. 

You didn't answer my question, has this team gotten better by keeping Rex?

They got better in 2010 then they were in 2009. They got better in 2013 than they were in 2012. Define "better" and "by keeping"  what are the time frames? 

they were better off with Rex than they were with Mangini and Herm I think we can all agree on that...

He's trying to get a quick release to receivers who are still being shot up at the LOS and arent getting off of the line. Teams are blitzing like crazy because they dont fear getting hit with short completions and YAC. We dont have a slot player right now. Cumberland's being forced to block(which he stinks at too) and that leaves Nelson, Salas, and whatever Holmes decides to do. 

if Geno was quick throwing over these guys heads or quick throwing into the ground, this argument would hold water. He's not even attempting to do this. btw Joe Flacco was harassed all day, sacked 4x multiple big hits and hurries but he was able to overcome his OL problems and make plays.

if Geno was quick throwing over these guys heads or quick throwing into the ground, this argument would hold water. He's not even attempting to do this. btw Joe Flacco was harassed all day, sacked 4x multiple big hits and hurries but he was able to overcome his OL problems and make plays.

Flacco has the best arm in the league and was able to hit on a bomb on a blown coverage. He didn't do much else. Rex's crazy blitz schemes were being picked up all day too. Jones and Smith would both be starting for the Jets too.

Flacco has the best arm in the league and was able to hit on a bomb on a blown coverage. He didn't do much else. Rex's crazy blitz schemes were being picked up all day too. Jones and Smith would both be starting for the Jets too.

REx's blitzes weren't getting picked up all the time. at least twice Flacco saw the extra rusher and got rid of it. Im not asking Smith to throw 70 yard bombs like flacco but he should be able to make basic reads and realize when he's getting more rushers than he has blockers. it's football 101

REx's blitzes weren't getting picked up all the time. at least twice Flacco saw the extra rusher and got rid of it. Im not asking Smith to throw 70 yard bombs like flacco but he should be able to make basic reads and realize when he's getting more rushers than he has blockers. it's football 101

I dont think Geno has the ability to anticipate Winters not blocking anyone.

Basic reads, under heavy duress...who should these passes be completed to? Who the hell is Greg Salas?

They got better in 2010 then they were in 2009. They got better in 2013 than they were in 2012. Define "better" and "by keeping"  what are the time frames? 

they were better off with Rex than they were with Mangini and Herm I think we can all agree on that...

They are worse now than they were when he took over the team. That is a fact. 

In whole, Rex's results aren't much different from either Herm or Mangini. So, has this team gotten better by keeping Rex? It's not a complicated question, there's no need to get hung up on semantics, the question is - is the team better now that it was when Rex was hired, in other words "has it gotten better"?

It has not.

I don't even want to see him fired at this point, but someone's got to put your smarmy nonsense in check.

Rex is a good defensive coach, but he has no offensive mind, and he makes TERRIBLE decisions. Bad challenges, bad timeouts, bad time management, not benching Sanchez, not benching Geno, etc.

Fire him, bench Geno, bench Dee, and be ready to bench Cro. That right there will make our team better instantly.

Archived