Is this the worst 5 year stretch?

joewillie78

I have been trying to think if the past 5 years has been the worst 5 year stretch of Quarterback play that any fan of any team in the NFL has had to endure? If you combine Sanchez's stats (TQBR, QBR, etc) with Geno's stats, I would say that they would have to be some of the worst over a 5 year stretch.

I would say the pre and post Ryan Leaf stretch in San Diego must have been horrific.

The Giants during the Joe Pisarcik years was brutal

Cleveland had a stretch with the guy who melted down in the press conference.

Jacksonville recently with Gabbert et al pretty awful.

Any other bad stretches you can think of that even come close to what we have to endure week in and week out. I swear, everytime our QB drops back, I take another Shot of Jack Daniels and hope I pass out.

I have been trying to think if the past 5 years has been the worst 5 year stretch of Quarterback play that any fan of any team in the NFL has had to endure? If you combine Sanchez's stats (TQBR, QBR, etc) with Geno's stats, I would say that they would have to be some of the worst over a 5 year stretch.

I would say the pre and post Ryan Leaf stretch in San Diego must have been horrific.

Any other bad stretches you can think of that even come close to what we have to endure week in and week out. I swear, everytime our QB drops back, I take another Shot of Jack Daniels and hope I pass out.

Probably 1970 to 1980.

The Jets have botched their QB situation from as far back as 08 when they SHOULD have drafted Joe Flacco instead of uber bust Vernon Gholston and counting on ONE YEAR of Brett Favre. Then they had Russell Wilson sitting there for the taking - a guy scout Terry Bradway was extremely high on - but no, they HAD TO HAVE Stephen Hill (Anybody seen him lately?). This year idiot Rex sends Sanchez into a meaningless pre-season game and gets him injured and out of commission.

I dont give a sh*t what his stats say, but this can't come close to the worst 5 years stretch. We went to 2 AFC Championship games, neither of which were lost by Sanchez.

He was a servicable game manager that picked up his play when it mattered most, but he did regress. To say this is a bad 5 year stretch is exactly that, a stretch.

I dont give a sh*t what his stats say, but this can't come close to the worst 5 years stretch. We went to 2 AFC Championship games, neither of which were lost by Sanchez.

He was a servicable game manager that picked up his play when it mattered most, but he did regress. To say this is a bad 5 year stretch is exactly that, a stretch.

Great, does this mean I can end my Jack Daniels addiction and watch the Jets sober?

Anyone else think the Jets will go the 49ers route, and re-sign Sanchez to a similar deal that A Smith got when everyone was calling him an all time bust, after they try all other avenues, but come up empty, and Sanchez realizes nobody is willing to pay him more than 3 million a year as a backup?

The stretch I was talking about was based ob QB performance, not team performance. The USC bum during those two years was horrendus, even though the team went to the AFC Championship game. Combine his first 2 years with his last 2 years and Geno this year, and you have 5 years of QB play that is making Don Coryell, Bill Walsh, and Mike Holmgren have to check the dictionary for the definition of the term "forward pass"

The stretch I was talking about was based ob QB performance, not team performance. The USC bum during those two years was horrendus, even though the team went to the AFC Championship game. Combine his first 2 years with his last 2 years and Geno this year, and you have 5 years of QB play that is making Don Coryell, Bill Walsh, and Mike Holmgren have to check the dictionary for the definition of the term "forward pass"

I understand. But for his first two years, Sanchez was a very servicable QB that wasnt losing us games and that is what matters, not if he throws for 4,000 yards a year.

To answer your question, IMO no this isnt the worst 5 year stretch.

Cleveland Browns for example is WAY worse. Each one of these QBs has started games for the browns in that season.

2013 Brandon Weeden (4) / Brian Hoyer (3) / Jason Campbell (4)

2012 Brandon Weeden (15) / Thad Lewis (1)

2011 Colt McCoy (13) / Seneca Wallace (3)

2010 Colt McCoy (8) / Jake Delhomme (4) / Seneca Wallace (4)

2009 Brady Quinn (9) / Derek Anderson (7)

2008 Derek Anderson (9) / Brady Quinn (3) / Ken Dorsey (3) / Bruce Gradkowski (1)

2007 Derek Anderson (15) / Charlie Frye (1)

I despise Mark Sanchez more than anyone alive, but this is pure navel-gazing. Talk to a Bears, Lions, or Browns fan. That's just off the top of my head.

Yeah, the Matt Millen era for the Lions was the first thing that came to mind - and pretty much everything the Browns have done since being re-incarnated.

Also, the first few decades of Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Similarity: NO QB

Cleveland Browns for example is WAY worse. Each one of these QBs has started games for the browns in that season.

2008 Derek Anderson (9) / Brady Quinn (3) / Ken Dorsey (3) / Bruce Gradkowski (1)

Derek Anderson, thats the guy I was trying to think of who had that presser meltdown. WOW, you are correct, this set of QB's is horrendus, with names like Seneca Wallace, Thad Lewis, Charlie Frye, etc. Egads, I believe we have a winner.

Yeah, the Matt Millen era for the Lions was the first thing that came to mind - and pretty much everything the Browns have done since being re-incarnated.

Also, the first few decades of Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Who was the Lions fat coach, who was mimicked by their worthless overpriced QB at a Lions Halloween party? I think they were both gone like the next week, coach and QB? Classic.

Not even close, because Geno and Sanchez have both had their share of

success, including this year and currently being tied for the lead in the

second wildcard race, remember who led us to comeback victories in

three of our wins this year ?

Number 7.

Sanchez also won 4 road playoff games playing well and not being the

reason for the losses in the Championship games, he didn't Tony Romo

the Jets into an early off season, he played well in PIttsburg and the loss

is on Schotty, in Indy, again Schotty folded and the Colts dominated the

line of scrimage, still Sanchez held his own, so the Jets have had some 

pretty good qb play over the last five years.

Worst ever would have to go to the Patriots over the last 5 years.

Number 7.

Wow, your bar is pretty low when you say "the Jets have had some pretty good qb play over the past five years". Its the exact opposite, the Jets have had AWFUL QB play over the past 5 years. They probably have the lowest TQBR, and QBR  of any two Qbs over this stretch.

Sanchez and Smith are positively dreadful, make awful decisions, hold the ball too long, are extremely inaccurate, cant audibilize, and cant read defenses. All qualities one would never want in any of their QB's. Pretty good QB play over the past 5 years, WOW what would be bad QB play?I shudder to think.

GFY

Number 7.

Come on.   Geno didn't throw the damn ball once in the one comeback.. It should be the OL & Ivory who get credit for that, and a lame penalty call that I'll take, but it still was lame.   That's why these "comeback" stats are stupid.   Hand the ball of 12 out of 13 times, kick a FG, and get credit that you actually did something. Sorry but that wasn't Geno doing anything but being told to hand the ball off on every play.      The Tampa game,  the Bucs player was stupid.  If he pulls away and doesn't push Geno, there is no conversation about comeback.  

That's the problem with comebacks and giving credit to a QB who didn't do all that much to deserve credit.       Sunday night when Brady came back from a 24-0 defeat, in a game where it looked like the Pats were done,  yeah he gets credit for that.    It's still a team game and the defense had to stop the Broncos the second half, but Geno has done nothing like that all season long.   He had one good game against the Falcons, other than that, he's stunk.

It's funny how people make excuses for Geno,  and yet Tebow had how many comeback wins and a playoff win and sucks as a QB?  Sorry but at this point Geno has been a terrible NFL QB.

Come on.   Geno didn't throw the damn ball once in the one comeback.. It should be the OL & Ivory who get credit for that, and a lame penalty call that I'll take, but it still was lame.   That's why these "comeback" stats are stupid.   Hand the ball of 12 out of 13 times, kick a FG, and get credit that you actually did something. Sorry but that wasn't Geno doing anything but being told to hand the ball off on every play.      The Tampa game,  the Bucs player was stupid.  If he pulls away and doesn't push Geno, there is no conversation about comeback.  

That's the problem with comebacks and giving credit to a QB who didn't do all that much to deserve credit.       Sunday night when Brady came back from a 24-0 defeat, in a game where it looked like the Pats were done,  yeah he gets credit for that.    It's still a team game and the defense had to stop the Broncos the second half, but Geno has done nothing like that all season long.   He had one good game against the Falcons, other than that, he's stunk.

It's funny how people make excuses for Geno,  and yet Tebow had how many comeback wins and a playoff win and sucks as a QB?  Sorry but at this point Geno has been a terrible NFL QB.

All valid points.

Chad Pennington years = worst stretch of QB play in NFL history

I understand. But for his first two years, Sanchez was a very servicable QB that wasnt losing us games and that is what matters, not if he throws for 4,000 yards a year.

sanchez wasnt losing us games? you mustve forgotten his glorious 5 pick performance against the bills

in fact i did forget about the 5 interception game. But that game didnt keep us out of the playoffs. In big spots he didnt make mistakes.

Wow, your bar is pretty low when you say "the Jets have had some pretty good qb play over the past five years". Its the exact opposite, the Jets have had AWFUL QB play over the past 5 years. They probably have the lowest TQBR, and QBR  of any two Qbs over this stretch.

Sanchez and Smith are positively dreadful, make awful decisions, hold the ball too long, are extremely inaccurate, cant audibilize, and cant read defenses. All qualities one would never want in any of their QB's. Pretty good QB play over the past 5 years, WOW what would be bad QB play?I shudder to think.

Didn't say it was high overall, but there have been stretches like sanchez playoff wins, Brad Smith at times, and say

Geno the first game against the Bills that have been excellent, I think the coaching and lack of protection have been

factors at times, I don''t think Sanchez played consistently bad all the time, Geno has had his moments in the sun,

and given a lot of time, could go through his reads and figure it out, he has at times been set up to fail, who would

want to play quarterback for the Jets right now?  It's as dangerous a job as their is, and that has to be on the coaches.

Sanchez has value, even if as a backup, Geno is a rookie and comparable to a lot of great signal callers at the

same stage of his career, Breeze was released by the Chargers with no contract offer, he got one offer after 

playing in San Diego for 4 or 5 years, he got a lot better in NO with Payton, he wasn't always good.

Testeverde had one of worst multi year runs as a qb in Tampa Bay, but was much later in his career

and Elway was terrible for several years throwing every game away, look at Romo, he gives away huge

games with blunders that only hollywood could come up with, Sanchez didn't do that and his blunders 

didn't come with the season on the line, I'd like to think Geno has the ability to stay cool under pressure.

That said, stat wise I think there are a lot of teams that have been worse than Sanchez / Geno / Smith / Tebow

over 5 years, check the Lions since 1970, even the Jags over the past 5 years,  

How many games did we lose when the defense gave up 10 points or less in those 2 serviceable years? Five games? That's not even including the 13 points the D gave up in regulation with Sanchez throwing 5 interceptions (no touchdowns) despite Jones/Leon rushing for 320 yards.  6 games squarely and 100% on the QB in just 2 years is inexcusable, not serviceable.  

Doesn't even count games where the other team scored more points on Sanchez's picks & fumbles than our defense let up (the other team scored more points when their defense was on the field than when their offense was on the field).  We had a couple of those even in his 3rd season alone just off the top of my head (Baltimore, where Sanchez served up 3 TDs and a FG for them, and vs the Tebow Broncos).

I would hand the team's QB job to Matt Simms for 16 games before I'd let Sanchez start 1 more for the team.  At least with an unknown it isn't known from day 1 that he will be an awful joke.

This team has to at least pretend that they desire some dignity.  His last month playing for the Jets in December of 2012 is on par with what Geno's been doing the past month or so.  Pathetically, that doesn't even include the buttfumble game; that's in addition to the buttfumble game.  Oh yeah, and that's with 3 1/2 consecutive years of starting experience under his belt at the time.

Yuck.

How many games did we lose when the defense gave up 10 points or less in those 2 serviceable years? Five games? That's not even including the 13 points the D gave up in regulation with Sanchez throwing 5 interceptions (no touchdowns) despite Jones/Leon rushing for 320 yards.  6 games squarely and 100% on the QB in just 2 years is inexcusable, not serviceable.  

Doesn't even count games where the other team scored more points on Sanchez's picks & fumbles than our defense let up (the other team scored more points when their defense was on the field than when their offense was on the field).  We had a couple of those even in his 3rd season alone just off the top of my head (Baltimore, where Sanchez served up 3 TDs and a FG for them, and vs the Tebow Broncos).

I would hand the team's QB job to Matt Simms for 16 games before I'd let Sanchez start 1 more for the team.  At least with an unknown it isn't known from day 1 that he will be an awful joke.

This team has to at least pretend that they desire some dignity.  His last month playing for the Jets in December of 2012 is on par with what Geno's been doing the past month or so.  Pathetically, that doesn't even include the buttfumble game; that's in addition to the buttfumble game.  Oh yeah, and that's with 3 1/2 consecutive years of starting experience under his belt at the time.

Yuck.

I dont like Sanchez anymore than the next guy and dont want him play here, but my whole point was that his performance did not cost this team either the playoffs or the Superbowl. Now you could argue that it cost us playoff position, which is a valid argument, but in my eyes - which I'll admit, I dont remember Sunday's game very well, let alone 2009 or 2010 - I don't think was the case. 

Archived