Woody Johnson "happy" with the "direction" of the team

T0mShane

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

40-37 is above average? I do have the definition wrong because this to me is the epitomy of Mediocre. Wow, .519 above average? is .550 hall of fame material. I just thought that maybe .600 was above average. OK, then Mangini and Edwards was above average.

Wow, I wish  in MY job review where I get it right about half the time, that I get rated above average, then maybe I could get a raise once in awhile.

It is above average.  Among coaches with 50 games, he is 80th out of 161.  Throw in the coaches so far below that level that they were fired in 3 seasons or less, like coaches who had the position for like half of a season (or less), and it goes up from the top half to the top 1/3.  

.550 might not be HOF material but .570 is (Parcells). 

It is above average.  Among coaches with 50 games, he is 80th out of 161.  Throw in the coaches so far below that level that they were fired in 3 seasons or less, like coaches who had the position for like half of a season (or less), and it goes up from the top half to the top 1/3.  

How does he match up with Belichick's two tours as HC of the NYJ's?

Bullsh*t - that's just the new narrative. This fanbase anointed him when he was hired like they always do, rode his D like Sanchez for two years when times were good, and immediately turned in 2011. 2011's probably the year they should have fired Ryan. Since then I think he's come along well, though he's only 13-17 since. I'm more convinced about Ryan today than when he was hired. I'll be fully convinced if/when Geno has a strong December.

When'd u turn psycho?

Bullsh*t - that's just the new narrative. This fanbase anointed him when he was hired like they always do, rode his D like Sanchez for two years when times were good, and immediately turned in 2011. 2011's probably the year they should have fired Ryan. Since then I think he's come along well, though he's only 13-17 since. I'm more convinced about Ryan today than when he was hired. I'll be fully convinced if/when Geno has a strong December.

Do you still believe In the tooth fairy too?

Ive fot to tell you, I'm having alot of problems with what I perceive as Mediocre and Above average.  When I think of mediocre, I think of middle of the pack, maybe about .500, not good not bad.

I state that I believe Rex is mediocre, but I get no above average and his record proves it. I look up his record and its 40-37, or .519. The epitomy of mediocre.

Then I get that he is 15 out of the current 32 coaches, middle of the pack or again as I perceive mediocre, but again no, this is above average.

Next I get that he is 80th out of 161 coaches with 50 or more games, almost EXACTLY in the middle of the pack, so again, the epitomy of mediocre but again, no this proves he is above average.

Can someone please help me with the term "mediocre" as everytime I mention it, I get a stat saying he is not Mediocre but above average, yet the stat is usually the exact term or frame of reference I view as mediocre. HELP.

I see Rex as good defensive coach and plyaers like to play for him- . Myself as  a manager though I get judged on all the aspects of my position not a select  few. Also do not like and never have his boasting. So where does this leave me-like some of Rex and dislike some of Rex.

This is about as fair as an assessment as you can make.

If you rank all the current HCs by winning percentage, he's like 15th out of 33. That's one way to get to "above average."  note i didn't say he was the greatest of all time i was correcting a bad fact in a post. if you say he's below average that goes against the evidence. 

btw Herm was 39-41 and Mangini was 23-25, beside being technically less than .500 both had terrible ends (Collapses) which precipitated their firings. Rex stopped a collapse yesterday. and if he keeps winning he will be doing a much better job than either of those yahoos. if Rex had lost out and the jets were 5-11 i'd probably agree it was time for a change. that's not what happened however and we should give him credit for his wins. 

If the Jets wind up 6-10 this season(they easily could) his 40-37 becomes 40-40.     Nothing really great about that and he'd really have 1 winning season, two losing seasons, an 8-8 season and another season the team really was 8-8 but the Colts quit.

Ive fot to tell you, I'm having alot of problems with what I perceive as Mediocre and Above average.  When I think of mediocre, I think of middle of the pack, maybe about .500, not good not bad.

I state that I believe Rex is mediocre, but I get no above average and his record proves it. I look up his record and its 40-37, or .519. The epitomy of mediocre.

Then I get that he is 15 out of the current 32 coaches, middle of the pack or again as I perceive mediocre, but again no, this is above average.

Next I get that he is 80th out of 161 coaches with 50 or more games, almost EXACTLY in the middle of the pack, so again, the epitomy of mediocre but again, no this proves he is above average.

Can someone please help me with the term "mediocre" as everytime I mention it, I get a stat saying he is not Mediocre but above average, yet the stat is usually the exact term or frame of reference I view as mediocre. HELP.

Because most coaches don't go on to coach for 50 games.  By eliminating those who have coached under 50 games, you're almost exclusively eliminating those worse.

Because most coaches don't go on to coach for 50 games.  By eliminating those who have coached under 50 games, you're almost exclusively eliminating those worse.

OK, I agree with that (maybe) but the stat you provided was for coaches with 50 or more starts, and this stat you provided put him almost exactly in the middle at 80th out of 161 coaches, pretty much the exact meaning of mediocre (I Think).

If your intention was to prove that he is above average, then please provide the data, of ALL coaches, so we can make that decision on our own, because some of us feel that their may be many coaches out their, that were INTERIM, stayed 1 year and left for college, etc that actually had better records than REX. ONE that comes to mind off hand I believe is AL GROH, who I believe may have been 9-7 his one year with the Jets which I believe is better than a .519 win percentage.

Sorry, and please dont take this to mean I am taking a "shot" at you but many REX supporters seem to throw out statements, that they believe to be fact but without the data to back it up, their is no way we can interpret it one way or the other. The DATA you provided however categorically rates Rex as mediocre.

Sorry, and please dont take this to mean I am taking a "shot" at you but many REX supporters seem to throw out statements, that they believe to be fact but without the data to back it up, their is no way we can interpret it one way or the other. The DATA you provided however categorically rates Rex as mediocre.

keep in mind that is he mediocre compared to many guys who aren't losing their job. Belly has a better winning % than Rex but he's not available on the coaching market. The guys who are ranked higher than Rex on that list are not getting fired.

We have to compare Rex with rex's possible replacement (whoever that might be). or imagine Rex on the coaching market after the Jets fire him. a "mediocre" coach on the market with Rex's length of career and winning percentage is an elite coach in the offseason market. He'd get snapped up in 5 mins like Andy reid.

The guy who would replace Rex would either be a retread like Whizzinator or a never been HC like Bevell. Compared to those guys, slightly above average is amazing.

keep in mind that is he mediocre compared to many guys who aren't losing their job. Belly has a better winning % than Rex but he's not available on the coaching market. The guys who are ranked higher than Rex on that list are not getting fired.

We have to compare Rex with rex's possible replacement (whoever that might be). or imagine Rex on the coaching market after the Jets fire him. a "mediocre" coach on the market with Rex's length of career and winning percentage is an elite coach in the offseason market. He'd get snapped up in 5 mins like Andy reid.

The guy who would replace Rex would either be a retread like Whizzinator or a never been HC like Bevell. Compared to those guys, slightly above average is amazing.

I'm sorry dude but you are a complete dolt with these statements. First of all if mediocre is what you want - and it obviously is - then Rex is for sure your guy. He will NEVER let you down or get this team OUT of mediocrity. That must be why you love him so. For one thing every situation is different so you can't always judge a guy by his past record. Coaches are hired to be fired is rule number one and Rex has without a doubt done enough to earn a pink slip. You seem to be more afraid of the unknown that a coach who can't overcome his own mistakes. 

If the Jets wind up 6-10 this season(they easily could) his 40-37 becomes 40-40.     Nothing really great about that and he'd really have 1 winning season, two losing seasons, an 8-8 season and another season the team really was 8-8 but the Colts quit.

Rex has finished 9-7, 11-5, 8-8, 6-10 and quite possibly 6-10 this year which would put him at exactly 40-40, but with two losing seasons in a row having gone through 3 OC's, 2 DC's, 2 special teams coaches and 2 GM's. Not a great track record. Rex and Tanny failed to build on the success of 2010 and THAT is enough for him to get canned. C'mon guys, are the Jets under Rex really going in the right direction? I think the team needs to win two of it's last three for Rex to have ANY chance of returning and a lot of that will depend on Idzik asserting his authority and defying Woody the turnip.

You then better include two guys who have won Super Bowls, Gruden, and Cowher, now I'm not saying that these are my choices but you seemed to indicate, that everyone available out there has a worse record than Rex. Please give us the records of these 2 coaches, I have a feeling they are slightly better than Rex.

Also, please dont say that Gruden is staying in the booth and unavailable. I have heard thousands of reasons why coaches are unavailable, and then an offer comes and they jump. Gruden and Cowher are definitely available.

You then better include two guys who have won Super Bowls, Gruden, and Cowher, now I'm not saying that these are my choices but you seemed to indicate, that everyone available out there has a worse record than Rex. Please give us the records of these 2 coaches, I have a feeling they are slightly better than Rex.

Also, please dont say that Gruden is staying in the booth and unavailable. I have heard thousands of reasons why coaches are unavailable, and then an offer comes and they jump. Gruden and Cowher are definitely available.

both Gruden and Cowher are well over .500. They are better than Rex and not just on a w-L level, they both have rings as HC's (Rex has a ring as a DC/DL coach). However Cowher has basically gone on record saying he wants the Giants job, not the Jets job. Gruden also is looking for the right situation. neither of these guys would come to this team, in this city, with this roster and this owner. Not for all the tea in China. 

I'm sorry dude but you are a complete dolt with these statements. First of all if mediocre is what you want - and it obviously is - then Rex is for sure your guy. He will NEVER let you down or get this team OUT of mediocrity. That must be why you love him so. For one thing every situation is different so you can't always judge a guy by his past record. Coaches are hired to be fired is rule number one and Rex has without a doubt done enough to earn a pink slip. You seem to be more afraid of the unknown that a coach who can't overcome his own mistakes. 

There's a thread about Gary Kubiak getting fired. He lost 11 straight before that happened. Herm and Mangini also had late season collapses. If Rex finishes 6-10 I agree maybe it's time to go. But if he wins 2 out of 3, this year 8-8 he will be mediocre by most standards but it's actually a really good job with this roster. Consider the fact that almost 25 mil of the salary cap is being used on Sanchez and Revis (trade). 

both Gruden and Cowher are well over .500. They are better than Rex and not just on a w-L level, they both have rings as HC's (Rex has a ring as a DC/DL coach). However Cowher has basically gone on record saying he wants the Giants job, not the Jets job. Gruden also is looking for the right situation. neither of these guys would come to this team, in this city, with this roster and this owner. Not for all the tea in China. 

I have heard so many coaches say: I am never leaving this job, or I love this job so much, I'm staying. Even the coach I worship BILL PARCELLS "lied" saying things like this is his last job etc. Sorry, I dont buy that Gruden or Cowher wouldnt take the Jets job, and I know theres alot of Tean in China.

Archived