Jets' playoff scenarios: Chances slim but not dead

Steveg

Here are the requirements for the Jets:

-- Baltimore Ravens (7-6) must lose two of three games. By virtue of a Week 12 win over the Jets in Baltimore, the Ravens own a head-to-head tiebreaker. So, the Jets must finish with a better record to vault the Ravens. Though Baltimore has recovered from a poor start with four wins (all at home) in five games, their remaining schedule is challenging: At the 7-6 Detroit Lions; home against the 10-3 New England Patriots; at the 9-4 Cincinnati Bengals.

-- The Jets must beat the Dolphins in the season finale. If the Jets and Dolphins both vault the Ravens (Baltimore has the tiebreaker on both teams) and finish tied at 9-7, the Jets would claim the wild card berth over their division rivals. As long as the season series is split (Miami won in MetLife Stadium in Week 13, so the Jets must return the favor), the teams would also be tied in the division record tiebreaker. The next tiebreaker is record based on common opponents, which the Jets would claim.

-- The 6-7 San Diego Chargers must lose one of their remaining games. The Chargers have a better winning percentage than the Jets in conference games, which is why they hold the tiebreaker even though the teams have identical 6-7 records. With two conference games remaining, the Jets are 3-7 against AFC opponents this season. Like the Ravens, though, the Chargers face a difficult run in. Thursday, they travel to the 11-2 Denver Broncos, followed by home games against the Oakland Raiders (4-9) and Kansas City Chiefs (10-3).

-- If the Jets finish 8-8. ... They would need to finish with more wins than the Ravens and Chargers. The Dolphins would have to lose two of their three remaining games, with one of those losses coming against the Jets.

I'm thinking the Panthers will rest their starters.

IDK man, Carolina scored a combined total of 29 points in 3 games VS similar defenses that the Jets run, if by some miracle the Jets offense scores 13+ points with zero turnovers the Jets can easily pick this game off. But the odds are very bad that Geno plays smart, and manages the game without turning it over unfortunately.

IDK man, Carolina scored a combined total of 29 points in 3 games VS similar defenses that the Jets run, if by some miracle the Jets offense scores 13+ points with zero turnovers the Jets can easily pick this game off. But the odds are very bad that Geno plays smart, and manages the game without turning it over unfortunately.

They are going to eat Geno alive.  I think we might see another Buffalo type game.

This is going to be very ugly. 

the Panthers have a short week and by the way their vaunted defense looked like garbage last week

the Jets are trending up and the Panthers are trending down. I don't have faith that the Jets will win this game, but they should be competitive and cover. 

Oh boy, here we go again with "mathematically" still alive which in the NFL means your team is basically a disaster and has no ungodly reason to be even thinking about the playoffs, but because of parity and other bad teams, about 5 or 6 teams each year will hang there hat on mathematically alive.

I remember last year going through this, even after the Thanksgiving day massacre and the butt fumble, and people kept saying that we could still be a "playoff" team, which was ridiculous as like this year, from DAY 1 we were not and were never going to be a "playoff" team.

OK, since I mentioned Mathematically alive and I absolutely hate that term, I am invoking the "extend REX" drinking mantra, and popping my first Coors lite.

OK, since I mentioned Mathematically alive and I absolutely hate that term, I am invoking the "extend REX" drinking mantra, and popping my first Coors lite.

11:30 AM on a Wednesday? MUST BE NICE.

That this whole playoffs thing wasn't gone in October is pretty cool. Don't get me wrong - I'll still bitch about it and now that this 2 win team is at 6 wins I'm disappointed they're not at 10 - but still better than I was told to expect from the leading scientists of the day. 

Oh boy, here we go again with "mathematically" still alive which in the NFL means your team is basically a disaster and has no ungodly reason to be even thinking about the playoffs, but because of parity and other bad teams, about 5 or 6 teams each year will hang there hat on mathematically alive.

I remember last year going through this, even after the Thanksgiving day massacre and the butt fumble, and people kept saying that we could still be a "playoff" team, which was ridiculous as like this year, from DAY 1 we were not and were never going to be a "playoff" team.

Today's NFL has worked out exactly the way Goodell wanted, with 3 games left in the Jets season they could go 3-0, and make the playoffs, or go 0-3, and get the 4th pick in the draft, both scenarios would need help from other teams to play out, and fans hang on to these keeping the non gambler, and the fantasy football players (most fantasy seasons are over for most come week 15) still interested. This scenario works for at least 7 teams in the AFC Mathematically including the ******* Jacksonville Jaguars for ****s sakes!

On a side note I am on my way to the store to pickup my 12 pack of Heineken Light, and will join in on the drinking fun!

Lose three in a row, then win one: trending up

Win eight in a row, then lose one: trending down

haha, I was thinking, damn, I wish Bit was my Director.  Lose 3 deals in a row, win a lay up and you're trending up! 

a team could lose 100 games in a row, win one and they are technically trending up. it depends on how you define the window of evaluation. 

Really?  My hope for the playoffs is the reason the Jets suck?

Damn!

Nah but seriously dude...come on the thought of playoffs is the last thing on my mind right now. Even during a year where its pretty much up in the air the team isnt locked and loaded enough to make a run. 

Today's NFL has worked out exactly the way Goodell wanted, with 3 games left in the Jets season they could go 3-0, and make the playoffs, or go 0-3, and get the 4th pick in the draft, both scenarios would need help from other teams to play out, and fans hang on to these keeping the non gambler, and the fantasy football players (most fantasy seasons are over for most come week 15) still interested. This scenario works for at least 7 teams in the AFC Mathematically including the ******* Jacksonville Jaguars for ****s sakes!

On a side note I am on my way to the store to pickup my 12 pack of Heineken Light, and will join in on the drinking fun!

your post reads 12:05 so you should be OK , but I got blasted for popping my first at 11:30. Like the fellow who said he would drink everytime the phrase "extend Rex" was used, I have added "mathematically alive" to the growing list of "drinking" phrases. Cheers to you and your Heiny lights.

your post reads 12:05 so you should be OK , but I got blasted for popping my first at 11:30. Like the fellow who said he would drink everytime the phrase "extend Rex" was used, I have added "mathematically alive" to the growing list of "drinking" phrases. Cheers to you and your Heiny lights.

I was that fellow who said he would drink every time the extend Rex phrase was used ;)

No judgement here crackem if you gottem!!

the Panthers have a short week and by the way their vaunted defense looked like garbage last week

the Jets are trending up and the Panthers are trending down. I don't have faith that the Jets will win this game, but they should be competitive and cover. 

custer was trending upward too

Archived