Is Rex a defensive mastermind...like he'd have you believe?

BlakeSpenceBlockedPunt

Parcell's used to say defensive rankings meant nothing. In his view the only statistic that mattered was how many points your defense gave up. I agree.

So I figured I'd take a look at how the Jets have fared under Rex. His first year we led the league in fewest points allowed. Since then the trend has been terrible. Frankly, New England and Miami have fared much better than we have for the past few years.

We've also invested a ton of high draft picks on that side of the ball. Wilk, Wilson, Coples, milliner, Sheldon...and still the trend stinks.

I watch this defense. They're good at times. But the last few years have been bad by any measurement.

I understand the offense has stunk. But are we truly a great defensive squad.

I think Rex gets too much credit here.

So I figured I'd take a look at how the Jets have fared under Rex. His first year we led the league in fewest points allowed. Since then the trend has been terrible. 

since then, pick 6s and turnovers have been rampant. look at the yards allowed instead of the points allowed, it's a different story. this year for example 11th in yards, 23rd in points. There's only 1 game this year where the defense truly laid down and that was Cinci. All the other games defense was the heart of the team. 

I agree with Bit.  If this offense was average or close to average the defense would be even better.  The offensive production here the past two years has been terrible.  Field position.  Turnovers.  They hurt the defensive stats.

There is a direct correlation between the offense going into the toilet and the defense slipping. Not only the pick 6's and turnovers, but how many times has the pitiful O gone 3 and out in a game. How many times have they not made a crucial first down to put a game away? Any D will get demoralized and/or tired with such woeful offense performance.

Never mind, it's all Rex's fault. The defense must be invincible, no excuses no matter what the offense does.

I'm not trying to completely slam Rex here.  As mentioned in another post I give Rex a lot of credit for winning games with inferior talent (primarily on offense).

However, part of the argument to keep him is that he is an elite defensive coach.  Some even say a mastermind.  I'm just trying to focus on the current facts (remember, in 2009 Matt Schaub was thought to have been an "elite QB").  Things change, that's my point, and I am starting to believe that Rex may be living on some past history.

He's been given the tools he wants.  Granted he lost a tremendous player in Revis...but you can't have it both ways.  Anyone can be fantastic with all-world players.  A mastermind does it regardless of personnel, and certainly can do it with the tools he has.

Rex has enough players on the defensive side to be better than we've been.  As much as I crave stability within our organization I just don't see how the argument that Rex is a defensive mastermind is factual.  He's good.  But the argument being made by many is that he's great.  I don't see that.

This is another reason I think we should move on from Rex.

You have to be a pretty good coach to beat NE and NO with the roster he's working with. The biggest difference between this year and last isn't the loss of Revis, it's the falling off of a cliff by Cromartie. The 9th pick of the draft isn't helping much, either. Neither does replacing LaRon for Dawan.

I agree with Bit.  If this offense was average or close to average the defense would be even better.  The offensive production here the past two years has been terrible.  Field position.  Turnovers.  They hurt the defensive stats.

The offense wouldn't hurt the defense in terms of field position in the yards given up category.

With the Jet offense not moving the ball, the Jet defense actually has less yards to give up ;)

Between injuries, roster turnover, and the pass-friendly rules, defense is a high-variance proposition at this point. So the answer to your question is yes, but with the caveat that his value-added over a decent DC isn't all that much.

Perfectly stated response. Tomshane should be in the back of your throat momentarily.

Look, I am the first to bash REX on many things, but Defense, schemes etc. on that side of the ball, I give REX all the credit in the world.

Remember, for about the last 5 years or when Sanchez came in the league, the NFL has kept a stat which measures how many points your QB basically hands to the other team, and since the stat was inaugurated, Sanchez of course was the leader in providing points to the other team. Not to be outdone, he was also the leader in subtracting points from his own team.

I'm not sure where GENO ranks, but given that he leads the NFL in Ints, I would say he is at or near the top in both these stats also,

To me, it again goes to the fact that REX has no clue about offense, no clue how to develop a QB, no clue on offensive schemes etc., so yes I think Rex is a defensive mastermind, but I also want him to take his defensive mind and just go away, as I really dont care about how great our defense is when our offense under him is a Complete abomination, and will never be able to score consistently to ever make up for how great our defense is.

The offense wouldn't hurt the defense in terms of field position in the yards given up category.

With the Jet offense not moving the ball, the Jet defense actually has less yards to give up ;)

this is true but in the case of pick 6, they don't even get on the field. 

I remember the jets beating brady and manning on the road in the playoffs in back to back weeks with scrubs in the secondary

doesn't happen without rex calling the D

they beat the Pats this year. And drew Brees Saints' squad. also doesn't happen without Rex. 

the fire-Rex crowd thinks mediocre is worse than bad. That's a misconception. 6-7 is way better than 3-10. It can always be worse. 

they beat the Pats this year. And drew Brees Saints' squad. also doesn't happen without Rex. 

the fire-Rex crowd thinks mediocre is worse than bad. That's a misconception. 6-7 is way better than 3-10. It can always be worse. 

People want to keep pointing to the Saints and Pats games but neither team was or were going to be undefeated so BFD. Even a crap team with a crap HC can jump up and bite ya in this league of parity.

Regarding 6-7 mediocrity vs 3-10 well 3-10 leads to change . 6-7 leads to more of the same so yeah, mediocre can be worse than bad in that it will instill a false sense of progress.

yeah, but the funny thing is I do want him replaced as HC of the NYJ....

he is too loyal and close to the players, there is little accountability, to many pre-snap penalties, substitution penalties, wasted TO's, blown challenges, and youtube videos and weirdness for him to survive ruining 2 young QB's

the HC sets the vision, discipline, and is the deciderer.  he's not good at that

he's an awesome defensive coach tho, can't ever take that away from him

yeah, but the funny thing is I do want him replaced as HC of the NYJ....

he is too loyal and close to the players, there is little accountability, to many pre-snap penalties, substitution penalties, wasted TO's, blown challenges, and youtube videos and weirdness for him to survive ruining 2 young QB's

the HC sets the vision, discipline, and is the deciderer.  he's not good at that

he's an awesome defensive coach tho, can't ever take that away from him

Yes that is about where I stand on the issues- REX was good for this franchise though- give him credit- gave us some relevency in this area for awhile

The thing about Rex and his defense is that he is loyal to a fault. There are a laundry list of his guys are terrible or haven't panned out and he sticks with them. Ed Reed is the latest example. There is no reason for him to even be here nonetheless be taking valuable reps from young guys. The cornerbacks are another example. Milliner and Cromartie have been on and off terrible and Walls and Lankster have been miles better but they don't get the reps either. It's mind boggling.

Not true, they have a really good punt team.  :)  Practice makes perfect.

Yeah Rex should play young players until they piss me off! Wtf is rookie 21 YO #9 overall pick still doing on the field? They need reps but not this guy! Give 'em to someone older and less talented (OMG **** REX now I'm mad at that) because the fire inside me rages!

If you're going to bag on what I said, at least quote me so I know that's you're being ridiculous. And Walls and Lankster aren't that much older than Milliner. Play the players that deserve to play based on play and not on draft position.

Yes that is about where I stand on the issues- REX was good for this franchise though- give him credit- gave us some relevency in this area for awhile

fat rex was a blast.  as soon as he changed to meet someone else's idea of what he should be, it was gone

People want to keep pointing to the Saints and Pats games but neither team was or were going to be undefeated so BFD. Even a crap team with a crap HC can jump up and bite ya in this league of parity.

Regarding 6-7 mediocrity vs 3-10 well 3-10 leads to change . 6-7 leads to more of the same so yeah, mediocre can be worse than bad in that it will instill a false sense of progress.

If I get to 8-8, 7-9 etc. each year BUT dont make the playoffs, then give me 3-13 4-12 and that high draft pick everytime. Your absolutely right, mediocrity, leads to more mediocrity and this franchise is websters dictionary meaning of mediocrity. That win against Oakland cost us atleast 5 or 6 slots next May.

Archived