Rex vs. Bellichick Record Comparison: 78 Games Each

Lizard King

Hmmm-

"[sanchez] is a young player," Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum told reporters following the team's announcement of the extension. "And just like any young player, there's some inconsistencies that have to get better. We've won a lot of football games with Mark as a starting quarterback for the New York Jets. That's really what convinced Rex, Woody [Johnson] and me. It's not a projection. It's not a hope. It's not an incremental leap of faith. It's, 'Here's a three-year body of work.'"

what is that proving though?

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The story was that Tannenbaum was irate that Rex got all the big jobs here. Being forced to be Rex's Asst. GM probably was not easy due to Rex's general buffoonery. 

That must have been incredibly frustrating, and an incredible display of humility on Tannenbaum's part. It's so ironic; I drove by Roscoe NY last Friday night and was awed thinking "Wow, that's where Tannenbaum negotiated the deal that was supposed to keep Revis in NY. Living history"

That must have been incredibly frustrating, and an incredible display of humility on Tannenbaum's part. It's so ironic; I drove by Roscoe NY last Friday night and was awed thinking "Wow, that's where Tannenbaum negotiated the deal that was supposed to keep Revis in NY. Living history"

That was Rex in disguise. 

Wow, in reading all these quotes from Rex, Tanny, and Woody really makes you wonder about how dillusional all three were, when it came to evaluating one of the historically bad QB's to ever get behind center in the NFL. I even read where one of them said:

Sanchez is a better option than Manning.

WOW, My head is about to explode. Are you serious.

The sad part is 2/3 of this dillusion is still here and obviously 1/3 has to stay, but wow, is there ever more proof that Rex has no clue about Qb's?

Either scenario points to Tannenbaum completely misplaying the hand he was dealt and therefore overpaid Mark Sanchez in a moment of weakness. I am largely on the fence yet about John Idzik but I will give him this- he went toe to toe with Revis and was willing to bring in a real threat to Sanchez on day 1. The results from Geno don't matter, it was the point of ending the complacency. Idzik seems e is willing to safrifice short term satisfaction to build something that will last. Anyway, reading the lines my interpretation is not of Rex having much to do with that contract. Him liking Mark may have been influential but thay was all Tanny

Fair enough.

Ok so I took a dump, thought about this nonsense and have formed a response.

Cleveland years were nothing special. Anything close to objective analysis wouldn't suggest that Belichick came near where Rex did in his first 4 years. You mention that in 1991 he doubled the amount of wins in Cleveland, from 3 to 6, holy cow, Call Canton. Three more wins! Amazing. In the following years you get 7-9 & 7-9 (no playoffzzz).  Vinny was throwing a steady 56% completion percentage. Wow! That looks a lot like Mark Sanchez.

You can compare and blame away the talent on the two rosters and being handcuffed by free agency. That's a red herring if I have ever read one. For starters, in 1993 Free Agency was instituted by the ownership in exchange for the salary cap. You're never gonna believe what happened after they initiated Free Agency, Einstein. Holy sh*t, Cleveland went from 7-9 with NO PLAYOFFZ  (derp derp OBVIOUSLY)  to 11-5 and PLAYOFFZ YAY. OMG THE CHAINS WERE LIFTED AND BELLI WAS FREE! Except in 1995 the Browns went 5-11 and Belli was fired. sh*t. Where'd he go again? oh yeah the DC of the NYJ. 

I'm not going to waste anyone's time about how the New England years went, we all know. Wait should I remind us all anyway? Ok. 5-11 in Bellichick's first year with Bledsoe (no playoffzzzz), then wait for it omg 11-5 in 2001 with Brady and 1st AFCE (what a coincidence!!!) or was it, because I'm pretty sure those half derp numbers pretty much cleared that right up before you tried to butt plug this completely valid statistical comparison. 

Apparently, the smartest part of you went down the toilet as you are going full retard.

So your moronic point of view is that talent does not matter.  It is a red herring.  Ok.  Yet, the poorly thought out article you are using as the base of your argument is about how talent, one Tom Brady, has made Belichick.  :rl:

The fact is, to use their numbers through 78 games and not look at all the factors that impact a team is f'ing stupid.  Rex took over a good team.  Belichick took over a horrible team.   9-7 > 3-13 in each and every book even the ones for the hopelessly clueless like you.  Belichick made the Browns better.  Rex took over a good team and it has regressed.  And if you do nto think his last season in which Model announced moving the team, go watch A Football Life on the Browns last season as Browns 1.0.  

The ultimate point is, Rex had a much better team to start with, a free agent system that can assist teams to get better quickly and all he has after 78 games is a four game lead. 

I pinned my belief in Rex on the fact that, for 2 seasons, he succeeded in this league without a QB.

Well for 3 straight years he has failed to continue that trend.  He was handed a new QB, and for a little while, the young QB looked like he might be a decent prospect.  That same QB has regressed mightily over the course of the season, something that Idzik will find to be unforgivable.

It's time to move on from Rex.  Idzik will be bringing in his own guy.  And Idzik isn't getting fired anytime soon.  He's who we're resting our hopes on, for better or worse.

Is it at all possible guys like say a Brady, Montana, Bradshaw etc, if they get drafted by a team other than the ones where they had their HOF careers, say like Brady gets drafted by the Jets and Herm is the coach or Bradshaw gets drafted by the Giants and Alex Webster is the coach or say Montana goes to the Cardinals and Bud Wilkinson is the coach. Do any of these guys have the great success they have, the HOF, win multiple super bowls, without the excellent coaching staffs and organizational stability?

Why is it always the coach is just a lucky stumble bum who hitched himself to a star? And as far as the player is concerned isnt it somewhat lucky to be drafted by a smart organization with a smart GM and HC? 

It was on the GM until Tannenbaum got fired, then it immediately became all Rex's fault.

Not sure i ever asked this of you before, but why would any GM give Rex another draft class? Seeing as how GMs live and die by how well those assets mature, and given Rex's track record with those assets, why would GM Slats say, "here, Rex, I got you this young receiver and quarterback and OL and safety, all in rounds 1 through 4. Make me look good, k"?

Not sure i ever asked this of you before, but why would any GM give Rex another draft class? Seeing as how GMs live and die by how well those assets mature, and given Rex's track record with those assets, why would GM Slats say, "here, Rex, I got you this young receiver and quarterback and OL and safety, all in rounds 1 through 4. Make me look good, k"?

I think Rex is a much better coach than the mob here does. I don't think he's been supplied with talent. Tannenbaum's penchant for overpaying and trading away picks left the cupboard here completely bare - and then Idzik (intentionally or not) made it even worse. Who knew the Jets could actually have a worse QB situation than Sanchez & Tebow?

What players did Rex fail to develop, that went on to develop in a major way elsewhere? I think the entire list is roughly Danny Woodhead and James Ihedigbo, two of the league's brightest stars.

Rex can do a lot of winning in this league paired with a competent executive. I definitely believe that. I like the staff he has right now. I'd like to see what they can do with some players. If Idzik is competent, things could be good.

I think Rex is a much better coach than the mob here does. I don't think he's been supplied with talent. Tannenbaum's penchant for overpaying and trading away picks left the cupboard here completely bare - and then Idzik (intentionally or not) made it even worse. Who knew the Jets could actually have a worse QB situation than Sanchez & Tebow?

What players did Rex fail to develop, that went on to develop in a major way elsewhere? I think the entire list is roughly Danny Woodhead and James Ihedigbo, two of the league's brightest stars.

Rex can do a lot of winning in this league paired with a competent executive. I definitely believe that. I like the staff he has right now. I'd like to see what they can do with some players. If Idzik is competent, things could be good.

You didn't answer the question. At all.

I give Rex another draft class because I think he's a good coach. Can't be more straight forward than that.

Can you point to any offensive Jets draftee during Wrecks' tenure who has benefited from his coaching? And since we all know he's defense first  what strides have either Kyle Wilson or Dee Milliner made?

Can you point to any offensive Jets draftee during Wrecks' tenure who has benefited from his coaching? And since we all know he's defense first  what strides have either Kyle Wilson or Dee Milliner made?

Shonn Greene, Matt Slauson, Bilal Powell, and Jeremy Kerley have all had decent runs here despite the dearth of talent around them. Kyle Wilson is one of the better slot CBs in the league. Dee Miiliner? Injuries slowed his progress, the jury is still out on whether or not John Idzik's very first draft pick just sucks.

The problem, IMHO, isn't Rex's development of players, it's the players he's been provided with.

What players, besides future HoF'ers Danny Woodhead and James Ihedigbo, have left the Jets on gone on to do better elsewhere?

slats, none of the players you mentioned are really worth squat. Kyle Wilson sucks out loud, Shonn Greene gets zero carries for Titans, Slauson plays but he is no great shakes either. T-Rex did a horrible job drafting and developing players which is one MAJOR reason the Jets are the bad team they are right now.

slats, none of the players you mentioned are really worth squat. Kyle Wilson sucks out loud, Shonn Greene gets zero carries for Titans, Slauson plays but he is no great shakes either. T-Rex did a horrible job drafting and developing players which is one MAJOR reason the Jets are the bad team they are right now.

He got more out of what Tannenbaum provided for him than most coaches would, IMHO. Again, I don't see players leaving the Rex Ryan Jets and going on to great things. He's had very little to work with here.

Agreed with the entire post, but particularly the bolded.. The talent at QB is inexcusable, Rex had NO shot this year. 

If Idzik is realty blaming Rex for the Sanchez injury then he is the exact type of corporate political slime ball that we want nothing to do with,

Agreed with the entire post, but particularly the bolded.. The talent at QB is inexcusable, Rex had NO shot this year.

If Idzik is realty blaming Rex for the Sanchez injury then he is the exact type of corporate political slime ball that we want nothing to do with,

The world is dominated, ruled, and bettered by political slimeballs. The NFL is a slimeball league.

Archived