The Overachieving Jets

jay_psg

This is an article from WSJ:

The Jets (7-8) are playing for history on Sunday in Miami. If they win by 20 points or less, they will become the worst .500-or-better team in NFL history—or its biggest overachievers.

Gang Green enters the season finale having allowed 380 points and scored 270, for a point-differential of minus-110. Their average losing margin of 18.8 points is the league's worst. Yet with a win over the Dolphins they can still finish 8-8 and likely surpass their own NFL record for being outscored by the most points in a non-losing season. In 1961, the 7-7 Jets (then the Titans) were outscored by 89 points; so were the 6-6 Pittsburgh Pirates (who later became the Steelers) in 1936. In the 16-game era, the 1992 Indianapolis Colts (9-7) hold the record for being outscored by 86 points in a non-losing season.

If the Jets lose Sunday as the oddsmakers expect (Miami is a seven-point favorite), they will add to a negative differential that's already ninth-worst in the franchise's 54-year history. The 4-12 Jets of 1992 (-95), 1980 (-93), and 2007 (-87) each were more competitive overall than the 2013 Jets have been, according to this statistic.

This year, only the Jaguars (-182), Texans (-146), Redskins (-130) and Raiders (-111) have worse differentials than the Jets. Those teams enter the season's final week averaging just 3.25 wins. The only other team to be outscored by 100-plus points is the 6-9 Giants (-103). And the league's three other 7-8 teams—the Lions, Rams and Steelers—have a combined differential of +18.

So it's reasonable to conclude that the Jets should have far fewer wins than they do. Given that, perhaps Rex Ryan, in what many expect will be his final year as Jets coach, actually had his best season in New York.

—Michael Salfino

No surprise for a team that plays defense, and is clueless on offense. When the defense lets down or has a "bad" game, they get destroyed and are probably packing their bags by halftime. When the defense keeps it close, they eke out wins, especailly when the other teams gift wrap them , like the TB and NE games.

For the Jets, a blowout win is by more than 6 points

For the Jets, a "normal" win is about 3 points

For the Jets, a "normal" loss is getting destroyed by 4 TDs or more

This is the WORST near .500 team in NFL history, which means that record is complete smoke and mirrors, and if this same differential is repeated by REX next year, this team will be 3-13.

This is an article from WSJ:

The Jets (7-8) are playing for history on Sunday in Miami. If they win by 20 points or less, they will become the worst .500-or-better team in NFL history—or its biggest overachievers.

Gang Green enters the season finale having allowed 380 points and scored 270, for a point-differential of minus-110. Their average losing margin of 18.8 points is the league's worst. Yet with a win over the Dolphins they can still finish 8-8 and likely surpass their own NFL record for being outscored by the most points in a non-losing season. In 1961, the 7-7 Jets (then the Titans) were outscored by 89 points; so were the 6-6 Pittsburgh Pirates (who later became the Steelers) in 1936. In the 16-game era, the 1992 Indianapolis Colts (9-7) hold the record for being outscored by 86 points in a non-losing season.

If the Jets lose Sunday as the oddsmakers expect (Miami is a seven-point favorite), they will add to a negative differential that's already ninth-worst in the franchise's 54-year history. The 4-12 Jets of 1992 (-95), 1980 (-93), and 2007 (-87) each were more competitive overall than the 2013 Jets have been, according to this statistic.

This year, only the Jaguars (-182), Texans (-146), Redskins (-130) and Raiders (-111) have worse differentials than the Jets. Those teams enter the season's final week averaging just 3.25 wins. The only other team to be outscored by 100-plus points is the 6-9 Giants (-103). And the league's three other 7-8 teams—the Lions, Rams and Steelers—have a combined differential of +18.

So it's reasonable to conclude that the Jets should have far fewer wins than they do. Given that, perhaps Rex Ryan, in what many expect will be his final year as Jets coach, actually had his best season in New York.

—Michael Salfino

So, what this article is really saying is... the Jets have something to play for in this game... thus my conclusion is that they'll come out flat, and lose in embarrassing fashion.

A win is a win. No team rolled over for us, and there are no style points in the NFL.

Of course, but those type of wins are not something you can expect. You get maybe one of those wins every few years, and you lose one of those games every few years.

The fact that we won 2 and loss none is a big anomaly, and gives a false sense of accomplishment when it comes to final standings.

Point differential (gay to the Rex lovers) would say we are more like a 4 or 5 win team, which is where we would be if not for those two wins.

If this was the story of another team, people here would be screaming to get that HC in here because that's a HC who can win games even with either low talent, low production, or both (outside of the beastly defensive line).  That if this HC could squeak out 7 or 8 wins with garbage, imagine what he could do on a team with actual producers on offense.  Every blunder of every other team is overlooked (assuming those other teams are even watched at all), and every one on the Jets is magnified. 

I guess fans of every team do this, but as someone who absolutely won't be throwing any fits if/when Rex is replaced, I can still see that hypocrisy.  

If this was the story of another team, people here would be screaming to get that HC in here because that's a HC who can win games even with either low talent, low production, or both (outside of the beastly defensive line).  That if this HC could squeak out 7 or 8 wins with garbage, imagine what he could do on a team with actual producers on offense.  Every blunder of every other team is overlooked (assuming those other teams are even watched at all), and every one on the Jets is magnified. 

I guess fans of every team do this, but as someone who absolutely won't be throwing any fits if/when Rex is replaced, I can still see that hypocrisy.  

Literally no one is doing this with the Bills and they are a better team than the Jets.

7 wins at -110 is hardly the job the national media is making it out to be.

Of course not.

The national media are a bunch of dopes.

They pulled the same crap when McNabb was in Philly.

They destroyed the Eagles and Reid for dumping McNabb, and it turned out they were right to do so as he was done.

The national media are dolts, and when it comes down to it, so are the local guys

the only thing i can say for rex is that roster on the O side is maybe the worst in  the nfl a rookie QB and no WR besides the slot reciever and for him to pull 7 wins is more then anyone in the nfl had us winning but his back field on D side has played bad

If this was the story of another team, people here would be screaming to get that HC in here because that's a HC who can win games even with either low talent, low production, or both (outside of the beastly defensive line).

Yeah, I've seen nine million posts begging for us to hire Jason Garrett. #derp

The media likes Rex so they are falsely portraying him as a victim, if they didn't lime him they'd be running him out of town, wins-losses-point differential " these things don't apply....the media is arrogant, corrupt, and agenda driven....see Jim Rice and Bill Parcells hall of fame.

The thing I don't understand is how many wins we were supposed to have with the current roster.

I thought this was a 9-7 to 10-6 win team when I looked at the roster, the coaching staff and the schedule.

And the fact that we are going to go 8-8 has nothing to do with why I want to move on from Rex.

It has everything to do with the fact that 5 years in to his tenure, we have nothing even remotely close to resembling an NFL offense unless we play the Browns or the Raiders.

I want a HC, not a glorified DC.

I want a leader, not someone who is going to let Sanchez be running around the locker room pantsing guys, and getting named captain along with friggin Santonion Holmes.

Archived