Sweet Christ. Tannenbaum: Jets should bring back Rex AND Sanchez

T0mShane

I literally had to sit down.

Mike Tannenbaum: Jets should keep Ryan and Sanchez

Posted by Josh Alper on December 29, 2013, 10:08 AM EST

AP

Mike Tannenbaum isn’t the General Manager of the Jets any more, but he has some advice for his replacement.

On NFL Network Sunday, Tannenbaum said that he thought John Idzik should hold onto the coach hired on Tannenbaum’s watch. The “word on the street” has changed considerably from when Rex Ryan reportedly told his team that it looked like he was getting fired and Tannenbaum believes that’s the best thing for the development of quarterback Geno Smith.

“If they would make a change with Rex, presumably they’ll bring in another offensive coach, so that would give Geno Smith three offensive coordinators in three seasons. Dana Holgorsen last year at West Virginia, Marty Mornhinweg this year and then whoever would be the new offensive coach next year. If you do that, now you have to bring in a 3-4 defensive coordinator, because that defense has played well — they have a lot of the pieces, so to me this decision’s going to come back to the development of Geno,” Tannenbaum said.

The importance of developing Smith doesn’t mean that Tannenbaum thinks the team should part ways with the quarterback he traded up to pick fifth overall in the 2009 draft. Mark Sanchez has been written off as an option in 2014 for the Jets, but Tannenbaum makes a case for keeping him around that has nothing to do with the potential for future Buttfumbles.

“I think going into next year having them both under contract is actually a position of strength and, again, if you keep Rex and presumably coach Mornhinweg, that gives you some continuity,” Tannenbaum said. “Even though Sanchez didn’t play this year, he learned the system and that probably would give them the best chance to be successful in 2014.”

If you ignore the money owed to Sanchez, that argument is easier to swallow. As it stands, though, the Jets will owe Sanchez a $9 million salary and $2 million roster bonus for 2014 thanks to Tannenbaum’s handiwork and that’s simply too much for a quarterback with Sanchez’s track record on a team that has plenty of other holes to fill. It seems much likelier that Sanchez, Santonio Holmes and other vestiges of Tannenbaum’s tenure are shuffled aside while Ryan returns for at least one more year.

sanchez is a turd that needs to be flushed, period.

rex doesn't have the skill set for a HC, period.

so what is tanny now, and agent agent or some other BS job ?

he's a coaches agent now

hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahaha

Tannenbaum is clearly lobbying for another GM gig.

What else is he supposed to say? Fire my hand picked HC, and franchise QB that got me fired? (saying this like you said is him trying to prove he was right all along, and was wrongfully fired, and deserves another GM gig)

Sanchez is going to be cut. No way the Jets are going to pay him his current contract, or extend him further. But I wouldn't completely rule him out from returning to the Jets next year, either. He'll go onto the pile of veteran QBs available, and Idzik will have to decide whether Sanchez is the best option or not. Wouldn't be my choice, though, except for the temporary fun of watching heads explode here.

Sanchez is going to be cut. No way the Jets are going to pay him his current contract, or extend him further. But I wouldn't completely rule him out from returning to the Jets next year, either. He'll go onto the pile of veteran QBs available, and Idzik will have to decide whether Sanchez is the best option or not. Wouldn't be my choice, though, except for the temporary fun of watching heads explode here.

Like that whole trade up fiasco, Sanhez will fade into oblivion, The GM that picked him will fade into oblivion, the coach that coached him will..........ooops, sorry, scratch that last one.

No Rex didnt blackball him, the NFL blackballed him based on the "co-decisions" that him and Rex made together, such as the whole Sanchez fiasco.

oh excuse me. do you still believe this is still the case based on this article?

Why wouldnt I?

because there's NO argument to keep Sanchez, there's an argument to be made to fire Rex (and you are practically frothing at the mouth to do so and think he's an idiot and he should never be a head coach again) and Tannenbaum is now officially on the record saying, "Keep them both."

Tanny: blackballed by the NFL because of Rex?

or

Tanny: unemployed because he's a bad GM?

because there's NO argument to keep Sanchez, there's an argument to be made to fire Rex (and you are practically frothing at the mouth to do so and think he's an idiot and he should never be a head coach again) and Tannenbaum is now officially on the record saying, "Keep them both."

Tanny: blackballed by the NFL because of Rex?

or

Tanny: unemployed because he's a bad GM?

Both.

Just remember geno is worse than Sanchez so really we need another qb that can take us to the next level ! I'm not looking for a 9 or 10 win season we need to get to the 12 win level and without a qb that's tough Geno is ok but I'm tired of ok penny Sanchez geno we need great now !

That would be fantastic!  And I am not convinced that Sanchez wouldn't beat Geno in a preseason competition next season, particularly when Geno won't have the rookie card to play.  Has Chad's shoulder healed yet?  Maybe Joe Willy sobered up enough to get out there? 

Lol

Archived