WFAN: Rex/Jets working on an extension (update: through 2015)

Integrity28

Obviously we lost both championship games, which sucked, but it's not as though we lost to scrub teams we were expected to clobber.  Absent scoring 0 points on our first 3 possessions, followed by a fumble-6 on the 4th possession, we might have even won the latter of those 2 games.  

But the fact remains that in both 09 and 10, the Jets started out as a wild-card team.  Making it to the title game means that the team did show up the week after a big win (beat the Chargers one year, and the Patriots the next).  And all of those games were on the road to boot.

So it therefore seems you got a HC who satisfied one of the criteria on your wish list. You're lucky. Some people never get what they want.

The guy in KC outbid us for Nnamdi Asomugha, and with less than 2 minutes left in the game, kept running his $60M RB in a game he was losing by 30 points.  Said RB, McCoy, got a major concussion and was out for a month.  Also odd you listed this HC whose team lost like 4 out of 5 conference championship games.  The one time they did make it to the SB, his team "didn't show up" to that game.  Or is it on the players when it's the Eagles and on the HC when it's the Jets?

Reid's got a plenty-long list of dumbass things he's done (and is still generally a good HC).  But this is what I mean about Jets fans glossing over enormous blunders and shortcomings with other teams' coaches as though they never happened.  

Rex has plenty of flaws just like other good (and successful) head coaches.

In Philly, they hated Reid with a passion, they have wanted him out for years.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously we lost both championship games, which sucked, but it's not as though we lost to scrub teams we were expected to clobber.  Absent scoring 0 points on our first 3 possessions, followed by a fumble-6 on the 4th possession, we might have even won the latter of those 2 games.  

But the fact remains that in both 09 and 10, the Jets started out as a wild-card team.  Making it to the title game means that the team did show up the week after a big win (beat the Chargers one year, and the Patriots the next).  And all of those games were on the road to boot.

So it therefore seems you got a HC who satisfied one of the criteria on your wish list. You're lucky. Some people never get what they want.

The guy in KC outbid us for Nnamdi Asomugha, and with less than 2 minutes left in the game, kept running his $60M RB in a game he was losing by 30 points.  Said RB, McCoy, got a major concussion and was out for a month.  Also odd you listed this HC whose team lost like 4 out of 5 conference championship games.  The one time they did make it to the SB, his team "didn't show up" to that game.  Or is it on the players when it's the Eagles and on the HC when it's the Jets?

Reid's got a plenty-long list of dumbass things he's done (and is still generally a good HC).  But this is what I mean about Jets fans glossing over enormous blunders and shortcomings with other teams' coaches as though they never happened.  

Actually I said Rex teams have not showed up after a big win since the 2010 AFC title game. 

In Reid's SB his QB caught a dose of stage fright and it was still a winnable game.

You can elaborate all you want. We both know you'd take Reid over Rex in a second.

They also booed Santa Claus, cheered Michael Irvin's neck injury, and throw batteries at opposing team's players.

I have no love lost for Philly at all, but all 3 of those things are way overblown.

Every one of these things can be matched or outdone by things done in NY over the years. East coast sports fans for the most part are the same, Philly fans are pretty much the same as NY fans with the exception that they are not bandwaggon fans like many NYers are because they only have one team per sport.

Rex's biggest flaw in his 5 years is quarterbacks throwing 21, 18, 18, 13, 20 interceptions... not to mention all the fumbles, and a huge portion of all of those turnovers going for 6 the other way.

Other than that, the team's hot/cold nature seems to be a reflection of Rex's inability to keep them even keel... it's "all or nothing" most weeks with Rex's Jets. With enough talent on the roster, and a QB that doesn't give wins away though, it's possible we could get more weeks of "all" than of "nothing" I suppose.

I have no love lost for Philly at all, but all 3 of those things are way overblown.

Every one of these things can be matched or outdone by things done in NY over the years. East coast sports fans for the most part are the same, Philly fans are pretty much the same as NY fans with the exception that they are not bandwaggon fans like many NYers are because they only have one team per sport.

I don't really agree with you. I've been to several public events in Philly (sporting, among others). NY fans have their fair share of knuckleheads, no disagreement there. But Philly fans can be absolute f*cking animals. Very loyal, and passionate, but they go too far many times.

And I'm not bashing Philly, mind you. My brother-in-law lives down there, and we visit often. I think it's a great city.

Actually I said Rex teams have not showed up after a big win since the 2010 AFC title game. 

In Reid's SB his QB caught a dose of stage fright and it was still a winnable game.

You can elaborate all you want. We both know you'd take Reid over Rex in a second.

So when Reid's players don't show up it's the players' fault.

When Rex's players don't show up it's Rex's fault.

Do you not see this is the stance you're taking?

Rex's biggest flaw in his 5 years is quarterbacks throwing 21, 18, 18, 13, 20 interceptions... not to mention all the fumbles, and a huge portion of all of those turnovers going for 6 the other way.

Other than that, the team's hot/cold nature seems to be a reflection of Rex's inability to keep them even keel... it's "all or nothing" most weeks with Rex's Jets. With enough talent on the roster, and a QB that doesn't give wins away though, it's possible we could get more weeks of "all" than of "nothing" I suppose.

+1

If Pete Carroll didn't luck into Russell Wilson, they'd be finishing up year 2 of the failed Matt Flynn blunder/experiment, and you could add Carroll's name to the list of head coaches that got fired today.

Any candidate that is aware when his team is still in play-off contention. (Rex 2009).

Any candidate that can actually have his team show up the week after a big Win. (Rex 2010 AFC Title game-Present).

Any candidate that has even a basic understanding of clock mgmt and the use of the challege flag. (Rex 2009-Present).

Any candidate that would know when/why his # 1 WR has been pulled during a must win game. (Rex 2011).  

Any candidate not afraid to hold his players accountable.(Rex-Holmes-Sanchez).

Any candidate who doesn't tell me his defenses rushing yds allowed stat after a 23-6 loss.

The guys in Philly and KC would have been just fine.

Well that is assuming that either of them would have come here.  Andy Reid wouldn't have come here if that KC job was available to him (which it was).  Not sure about Chip Kelly, the Eagles had a hard time getting him to say yes.  And with no QB I am not sure the no huddle would work that well in NY.

With that defense Seattle still probably makes the playoffs with Flynn. It was one of the best pass defenses in the history of the sport. Wilson didnt haver a great year either.

Easy and convenient to credit them with overcoming adversity they were never asked to overcome.

That defense wouldn't look nearly as good if they had a 20+ turnover QB.  Any Jets fan should know this.

Easy and convenient to credit them with overcoming adversity they were never asked to overcome.

That defense wouldn't look nearly as good if they had a 20+ turnover QB.  Any Jets fan should know this.

No probably not. But Caroll wouldnt have been fired either. That  defense is nasty.

+1

If Pete Carroll didn't luck into Russell Wilson, they'd be finishing up year 2 of the failed Matt Flynn blunder/experiment, and you could add Carroll's name to the list of head coaches that got fired today.

Luck?

That was all Darrell Bevell, man.

We'll never know.  Good QB takes heat off the defense and the running game.  That also eats up clock, which keeps the defense off the field...  Something tells me you've seen this movie before.  

I don't think it's fair to qualify Seattle's success as luck.   Seattle, more than any team in the league has shown the best understanding that regardless of investment you need to keep looking for a QB until you find one.   They wasted a 2nd rd pick on Charlie Whitehurst and weren't afraid to admit the mistake.   They gave Flynn a big money deal and stuck him on the bench.    If anything, they "earned" the right to find Wilson by giving an unheralded 3rd rd pick the chance to start as rookie in the NFL.  

Compare that mentality with "Mark gives us the best chance to win", no viable backup, and flushing the 2012 season down the drain with one of the worst all-time QB performances @ TEN.  

It makes sense for a one year extension.To get assistant coaches to commit where the head coach is on the last year of a contract would be troublesome

players too.. it's a negative selling point. you dont go into offseason trying to spend 40 million on new toys with a lame duck head coach

I don't think it's fair to qualify Seattle's success as luck.   Seattle, more than any team in the league has shown the best understanding that regardless of investment you need to keep looking for a QB until you find one.   They wasted a 2nd rd pick on Charlie Whitehurst and weren't afraid to admit the mistake.   They gave Flynn a big money deal and stuck him on the bench.    If anything, they "earned" the right to find Wilson by giving an unheralded 3rd rd pick the chance to start as rookie in the NFL.  

Compare that mentality with "Mark gives us the best chance to win", no viable backup, and flushing the 2012 season down the drain with one of the worst all-time QB performances @ TEN.  

I completely agree with this post. Being able to identify when you don't have a QB and acting on that, is as important as knowing when you do have one, and acting on that.

To many Jets fans believe the QB position is pure luck. You can make an argument that every position in the NFL involves some luck, when you draft guys you have no idea what they will be. If anyone knew Revis was going to be what he became, he would have gone first, same with Richardson, or Mo.

I didn't say they didn't earn the right to reap the benefits of Wilson.  But the notion that they just have this eye for talent and don't make blunders other franchises do - which is how it's painted as being - is ludicrous.

Idzik was with the team from 2007-2012.  How many RBs did the team acquire over that span? No one remembers Pete Carroll trading draft picks for Leon Washington or Lendale White?  What of multi-million dollar per year contract for a post-Patriots Chris Baker (2 years $5M)? TJ Houshmandzadeh 5 years $40M.

Mike Williams 3 years $11M ($4M in year 1). A team with an eye for college offensive talent doesn't repeatedly make moves like this.

Dropping from the #40 overall pick (close to a first rounder) to the #60 pick (close to a 3rd rounder) for Charlie freaking Whitehurst, and follows that up with a ludicrous contract for Matt Flynn -- these 2 acts of QB judgment suggest hitting paydirt on Russell Wilson is far more likely stupid luck than a keen eye for QB talent and value.  If they knew so much about Russell Wilson being this good, they never would have risked him not being there in round 3 (in the range of where he was expected to be drafted).  If they claim they did know, but left it open for any team to grab him by merely reaching for him by only 20 slots after the middle of round 2, then they're doubly lucky+stupid.

Hey I credit them for drafting Wilson and they've also done a good job with him (and he's had plenty of success - rather immediately - despite what would be considered very mediocre receiving "weapons" if they were on the Jets).  But the idea that they knew anything with him that other teams didn't is just looking in hindsight.  They knew something about Wilson like they knew something about Whitehurst and Flynn.

Do they (and have they) have an "eye" for building a receiving corps or a ground attack through the draft? If they had such a great eye for talent, and believed in their ability to get it, would they have shelled out huge deals for Sidney Rice $40M, TJ Housh $41M, Zach Miller $34M, Marshawn Lynch $31M (the latter being the only one worth his contract).  Would they have traded 3 picks away for Lendale White and Leon Washington?

To balance that high priced veteran talent (that also cost draft picks) they drafted the great Golden Tate in round 2 (this being his best year ever, with a damn good QB, and he finished with 898 yards and 5 TDs).  Better than Stephen Hill, but not better than Jeremy Kerley when one considers the disparity in who's throwing the ball.  Pre-Wilson, Tate didn't do anything on a team that threw the ball a lot more, and he's a guy they're looking to replace as starter when they make a move for an injured Percy Harvin.  Their receiving corps is merely ok.  They actually have someone above average delivering the ball, and a great QB/RB combo running threat that keeps teams from dropping an extra DB or two into coverage.  If the Jets traded a #1 pick and $11M/year for Percy Harvin - particularly for an currently-injured Percy Harvin who gets hurt every year anyway - people here would be up in arms.  But it's not the Jets, so it's treated as a smart move by a smart team rather than what it is: a desperate move by a team who can hardly draft receivers for sh*t (or at best, who has little interest in drafting them).

When they whiff massively on a has-been #2 WR from Cincy and give him #1 money; when that comes a year after whiffing on Sidney Rice for the same big money; and then after their former college HC couldn't find a single 800-yard receiver in the draft, they then trade their #1 draft pick for a starting WR (who missed the whole first season of his contract)? Well of course that's a smart team with a keen eye for offensive talent and who does a great job of developing that college talent.  When the Jets trade 3rd or 5th round picks for healthy, young starting WRs so they can use their higher picks elsewhere, some fans here whine and cry that we "ignored" the position for years.

This Seattle team that - supposedly unlike the Jets - places "value" on the offensive side of the ball in the draft? Tate at #60 in Carroll's first year there still remains his highest offensive skill position taken in the draft.  They took a left tackle with their only top 10 pick.  What else do they do with their high picks? A guard at #25, and the rest are DBs and LBers.  Their super-smart pick of Irvin (as opposed to our leftovers with Coples, which Jets fans cried was so much worse or dumber) in year 2 - on THAT defense that has opposing teams attempting so many passes - he has 2 sacks in his dozen starts this year.  Two.  And it isn't like he's some monster run-stuffer either.  

What else was their big (and smart) offensive splash in drafting guys from the college ranks? Christine Michael this past April? A 2nd round RB and he isn't even the team's primary backup.  Another one people here would be up in arms over but gets overlooked on Seattle as though they do no wrong.

I'm just saying that everything they touch isn't gold and everything the Jets do isn't terrible by comparison.  We've had some brutal draft picks and only next year will we be fully recovered from Tannenbaum's multi-year shopping spree.  But given their track record in drafting any offensive skill positions, or in acquiring QBs in general, you bet I think them hitting paydirt on Russell Wilson is pure luck and the exception to their otherwise crappy history. 

Ground and pound and a strong defense.  That's what Seattle is.  Same thing the Jets had before players got old or injured (or in the case of the QB, the full bust-ness finally could be hidden no longer).  Seattle builds a team in this mold and they're smart.  Very smart.  Jets employ the same strategy and "Wrecks is out of touch with today's game" and so forth.

And besides, I'm a Jets fan.  FUCK the Seahawks, FUCK Pete Carroll, and FUCK their awesome midget QB. 

Seattle can draft Christine Michael because they are stacked. The Jets were starting  players this year who were other teams cuts.

The Jets have been poorly run, the Seahawks havent been. Look at the rosters....you cant be serious arguing this. Seattle is just lucky? okay.

I completely agree with this post. Being able to identify when you don't have a QB and acting on that, is as important as knowing when you do have one, and acting on that.

To many Jets fans believe the QB position is pure luck. You can make an argument that every position in the NFL involves some luck, when you draft guys you have no idea what they will be. If anyone knew Revis was going to be what he became, he would have gone first, same with Richardson, or Mo.

I get what you're saying, but I don't think that the Jets have in any way refused to try to address the QB position, I think they've simply done an absolutely awful job when making those attempts.  Think about the recent history of the QB position with this team over the past 7 years and the significant investments they have made:

The team had an entrenched starter at QB - Chad Pennington

They still went out and spent a second round pick on another QB - Kellen Clemens

A year later, they traded for a proven veteran as a starter - Brett Favre

A year after that, they trade up into the top 5 for their "QB of the future" - Mark Sanchez

A few years later they trade for a so-called "proven winner" (ugh) - Tim Tebow

Then the next year, they draft a second rounder who many had labeled as the draft's top QB - Geno Smith

That's not even taking into account the fliers they took over that same time frame on late picks (e.g., Ainge, McElroy) or UDFAs (Ratliff, Simms) with hopes of getting lucky and hitting on something.  That's also obviously ignoring the veteran backups brought in as well, which is of course completely justifiable under the circumstances.  My only point being that I don't think it's a matter of the team not trying to address the position, I just think it's a matter of how miserably they have failed at it.  You can try as many times as you like, but if you don't eventually succeed it doesn't change much.

Archived