Three teams having trouble selling out their playoff games

faba

Three teams face blackouts
Updated: December 31, 2013, 3:13 PM ET
By Rob Demovsky | ESPN.com

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Perhaps Green Bay Packers fans have little faith in this year's team.

How else to explain why as of Tuesday morning there were 13,000 tickets still remaining, according to a team spokesperson, for Sunday's NFC wild-card playoff game against theSan Francisco 49ers?

The Packers have a streak of 319 consecutive sellouts (301 regular season games and 18 playoff games) and nearly 100,000 people on their season-ticket waiting list.

Green Bay isn't the only team having trouble selling out for this weekend's playoff games with the Indianapolis Colts and Cincinnati Bengals also faced with thousands of unsold tickets.

The Colts, who have sold out 137 of their last 138 games, have "slightly less than 6,000" tickets they need to sell to avoid having their Saturday game against the Kansas City Chiefsblacked out in the Indianapolis area.

NFL rules say that teams have to sell out games at least 72 hours prior to kickoff to ensure the game will be shown on local television. The league extended the deadline to Thursday at 4:30 p.m. because Wednesday is a holiday.

In Cincinnati, Jeff Berding, the Bengals' director of sales and public affairs, said late Monday that after a good day of sales, more than 10,000 tickets still remained for Sunday's game at Paul Brown Stadium against the San Diego Chargers.

In an effort to sell more playoff tickets, the Bengals kept their ticket office open on New Year's Eve and will do the same New Year's Day. According to Berding, the office will be open between 9 a.m.-7 p.m. on Wednesday.

The Bengals' ticket push has even become a civic issue in the city. On Monday, Cincinnati Mayor John Cranley held a brief, impromptu news conference at the start of coach Marvin Lewis' weekly remarks to encourage fans to come out for the game.

The Packers, at 8-7-1, have the worst record among the 12 playoff teams.

The organization sent out playoff ticket invoices to season-ticket holders during the seven-game stretch in which quarterback Aaron Rodgers was sidelined because of a broken collarbone. When Rodgers returned for the regular-season finale on Sunday and helped the Packers beat the Chicago Bears to win the NFC North, the team still had 40,000 tickets available for the opening round of the playoffs.

The team gave season-ticket holders another chance to buy seats on Monday morning before opening up the sale to the general public later in the day. A team spokesman said Tuesday that the four-ticket limit per transaction that was in place on Monday has been lifted.

The Packers opened 7,000 new seats this season in the south end zone, bringing capacity at Lambeau Field to 80,750. The Packers waiting list for season tickets was more than 100,000 people before the new seats were added for this season.

Ticket sales weren't a problem for the Seattle Seahawks on Tuesday, with the team saying it sold out of playoff tickets in less than 30 minutes. Their Jan. 11 opener against an opponent to be determined after this weekend's NFC playoff games.

ESPN.com Colts reporter Mike Wells and Bengals reporter Coley Harvey contributed to this report.

Actually, going to a game is great - its the douchey fans that sux.

douchey fans, cost, time, traffic, maybe if I lived near the stadium, but for me it's a 7 hour proposition

add to that  the home theatre thing, and the NFL will have problems selling out from this year forward

hey, I didn't knock down all those people on black Friday to get my TV at walmart for nuttin !!!

It's all about the ridiculous prices, the NFL doing its best to kill the golden goose. Just look at Miami last week with thousands of empty seats for a huge game....oh wait that has nothing to do with the ticket prices, their fans just suck ass.

douchey fans, cost, time, traffic, maybe if I lived near the stadium, but for me it's a 7 hour proposition

add to that the home theatre thing, and the NFL will have problems selling out from this year forward

hey, I didn't knock down all those people on black Friday to get my TV at walmart for nuttin !!!

From this year forward? Wtf happened this year? People have had big tvs with loud sound for many years.

Green DNA, on 31 Dec 2013 - 7:14 PM, said:

It's all about the ridiculous prices, the NFL doing its best to kill the golden goose. Just look at Miami last week with thousands of empty seats for a huge game....oh wait that has nothing to do with the ticket prices, their fans just suck ass.

Yeah I was at that game and couldn't believe the amount of empty seats. Not only that but it seemed like my section was Jets fans in the majority. There was also no talk at all about making the playoffs with a win. None. I was beginning to wonder if their fans even knew that.

The real fans have been priced out. So its upto the fair weather fans and corporate executives wanting to impress clients. But that happens when you are sure the team is going to win!

The real fans have been priced out. So its upto the fair weather fans and corporate executives wanting to impress clients. But that happens when you are sure the team is going to win!

Its 130 bucks for excellent seats at Lambo, sounds reasonable for the playoffs, of course being Jet fans we don't have a chance

to buy home playoff tickets, wonder how much they would cost ?

add to that  the home theatre thing, and the NFL will have problems selling out from this year forward

It was only an hour and 15 minute proposition for me, but that's only because I flew in from NW Fla., or it woulda been a 11 hour prop for me. Truthfully, 95% of the fans were pretty much like me and acted right, but it's the 5% of drunk assholes that think they have some badge of honor they have to defend by being obnoxious in public like they really won't have to go to work the next day if their team wins - yes, delusional. Meh.

Archived