Whisenhunt turns down Detroit

Kleckineau

And signs with the Titans.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/report-ken-whisenhunt-takes-tennessee-titans-job-spurns-233536877--nfl.html

One of the hottest head-coaching candidates in the NFL just pulled a surprise.

Ken Whisenhunt, whose playoff run is less than 24 hours old, has settled on a new team to be its head coach, per ESPN's Chris Mortensen. And it's not the team many people expected.

Whisenhunt to Titans; Jim Caldwell emerges w Lions. Mike Munchak still alive with Detroit & Cleveland, sources ............

NOT weird at all. Thinks about it, who would you want to face twice a year every year?

Houston (Rebuilding, NO QB)

Jacksonville (Disaster, NO QB)

Indianapolis (LUCK)

or

Green Bay (Rodgers)

Chicago (Cutler)

Minnesota (disaster, no QB)

He gets the easiest schedule for at least the next 2 or 3 years.

I don't think team's current roster is as important as fans think.  Probably not in some's top 5.

*Salary...or which organization wants me more?

*Where do I want to live (w/ family), Tennessee or Detroit?

*How much control/power? 

*Flexibility...to build own Coaching staff?

*Salary cap/draft order?

etc, etc.

...maybe Matthew Stafford isn't a real difference maker. 

Sucker. You can get a 5,000 sqft home in Detroit for under 40k. Yea sure, taxes are insane and your kids have to be raised below the window-level, but that's money in the bank. 

All joking aside, the only thing that I can think of is Whisenhunt and his family like Tennessee, where he's coached before and he possibly thinks more highly of Locker than others do.  The Lions have possibly the best Dline in the game, the best wide receiver in the game and a top 10 QB with all the potential in the world, plus the 10th overall pick compared to Tennessee's 11th. I'm a bit surprised.

Sucker. You can get a 5,000 sqft home in Detroit for under 40k. Yea sure, taxes are insane and your kids have to be raised below the window-level, but that's money in the bank. 

All joking aside, the only thing that I can think of is Whisenhunt and his family like Tennessee, where he's coached before and he possibly thinks more highly of Locker than others do.  The Lions have possibly the best Dline in the game, the best wide receiver in the game and a top 10 QB with all the potential in the world, plus the 10th overall pick compared to Tennessee's 11th. I'm a bit surprised.

It cant be money. Have you seen the latest sales reports for FORDS? They are killing it, so the dude that owns Detroit, has probably made about another half billion on his portfolio alone this past year.

Or...Locker's most likely out and you get a longer leash with a rookie QB than with what some might think as a more win now team in Detroit. I mean, Detroit, as in.....Detroit.

Or...Locker's most likely out and you get a longer leash with a rookie QB than with what some might think as a more win now team in Detroit. I mean, Detroit, as in.....Detroit.

If Locker is out he would be the #1 choice for QB's for the Jets to bring in to compete with Geno, I think he would be an ideal WCO QB with some good QB coaching, and is just as mobile as Geno. The knock on him is inaccurate, and injury prone, the inaccurate is fixable with the right coaching, and I've seen him go through stretches where he is lights out, bring in Britt with him, both could use a change of scenery IMO.

Let''s see, warm weather, a beautiful grass field and outdoor stadium, in a nice

safe city, vs. a horrible dome, bitter cold, in a city that scares thugs.

tough choice.

I am going to counter with sharkskin, better ribs, hot links, fried chicken and mac 'n cheese.  Better recreational options, too. Nothing like wide open urban areas for a nearby getaway.  And a steady supply of high quality heroin. Plus, you are probably ignorant of the fact that Crown air fresheners originated in Detroit. King me, brother.

This is what I was thinking, the Titans are more primed for a rebuild in a wide-open division. The Lions are where they will be, a team with lots of talent, and even more discipline problems in a division with at least 2 stacked teams.

G.O.B. would come in here to explain why Whisenhunt made the right call if he wasn't busy quelling a riot.

Here's my Two Cents:

The official reports are that William Clay Ford had his private jet on standby to pick Whiz up and it was delayed three times before being cancelled outright. The local media has reported that the Titans offered Whiz $1M more and greater roster control than the Lions were offering. That in itself, makes a significant amount of sense for a HC Candidate.

Now....here's what I suspect. 

- Detroit is not Nashville. Detroit proper is a $hithole. It's a complete and utter hellhole that is such a state of decay and disrepair, that members of the 1939 German Luftwaffe would suffer PTSD from merely driving through it. Forget all the reports you hear that it's "bouncing" back. The only thing bouncing are the bodies off the ground after the gunfire. The only glimmer of hope is Midtown, where Wayne State University, the Detroit Medical Center, and 20-something Hipsters have singlehandedly claimed a decent chunk of turf back from the 1st. 3rd and 4th Regiment of the Unemployed Americans of America. You go to Detroit for games, an occasional concert and half a dozen special events, and they you load up your Bradley Fighting Vehicle and head back to the suburbs. It's like Delta City vs. Old Detroit in Robocop...it's that bad. Who wants to deal with that? Pass.

- Metropolitan Detroit is nothing to savor, either. With the exception of a few, the inner-ring suburbs are a $hithole. When the scum of Detroit fled, the city, the took up residence here and brought their B.S. with them. They all have tax issues, crime issues, and lack of services issues. They're ugly places and nowhere to raise a family. The only decent places to live are on the outer-ring suburbs, which when working downtown, might as well be Sault Ste. Marie. Almost every professional athlete among the Big 4 (Wings/Lions/Pistons/Tigers) live in Royal Oak, Birmingham or Bloomfield Hills. The drive from there to Allen Park, their training facility, is a waterboarding-like experience down the Southfield Freeway. Pass.

- The Lions are a historically pathetic, inept and cancerous football organization. Every form of talent this organization has touched, player or coach, has succumbed to a slow, painful death. Their postseason history makes the Jets look like the a hybrid of the Steelers and 49ers. Since the merger, the Lions have won ONE playoff game. ONE. Every molecule of their existence has centered on disaster and sheer incompetence. The franchise is a death bed for any player or coach with a future elsewhere. Who would want that? Pass.

- Whiz doesn't like Stafford. Stafford has been treated like the second coming of Christ around here but he really got exposed as average this year. The Lions will not move him and won't even sniff at the idea of benching him for another QB. He's not going anywhere and I don't think Whiz feels he can win with him at the helm. 

Does the quality of life of some town a coach will never really live, matter most of the time?   Half the players and coaches don't really live where the teams play and many of them have families who live someplace else most of the year.   Is it a good situation?  No,  but look at the guy, he's been a coach in Pittsburgh, NY/NJ,  Arizona, San diego, and now Tennessee. I doubt he's moving his family around every few years, especially if they are school age.      He might not want to live in Detroit, but I doubt the guy would be hanging out downtown or at some bar at 2am anyway.   Most of these coaches live and breathe football.   And on days off they might fly to visit family. or the family will fly to visit them.  

I mean Rex Ryan's spends half his time in South Florida.   To me, if a coach isn't going to move his family to a city, he's not going to worry about how good the schools or houses are in that city.   

Does the quality of life of some town a coach will never really live, matter most of the time?   Half the players and coaches don't really live where the teams play and many of them have families who live someplace else most of the year.   Is it a good situation?  No,  but look at the guy, he's been a coach in Pittsburgh, NY/NJ,  Arizona, San diego, and now Tennessee. I doubt he's moving his family around every few years, especially if they are school age.      He might not want to live in Detroit, but I doubt the guy would be hanging out downtown or at some bar at 2am anyway.   Most of these coaches live and breathe football.   And on days off they might fly to visit family. or the family will fly to visit them.  

I mean Rex Ryan's spends half his time in South Florida.   To me, if a coach isn't going to move his family to a city, he's not going to worry about how good the schools or houses are in that city.   

Players usually go home when the season is over, but the coaches are usually in the area with their families for about 11 months of the year.  They may keep another home in the area they are from due tho the transient nature of the profession, but as a rule their families are with them.  

Actually from my stand point, Tenn.  over Detroit is a no brainer.  Detroit would have to pay me way more to go there

I am going to counter with sharkskin, better ribs, hot links, fried chicken and mac 'n cheese.  Better recreational options, too. Nothing like wide open urban areas for a nearby getaway.  And a steady supply of high quality heroin. Plus, you are probably ignorant of the fact that Crown air fresheners originated in Detroit. King me, brother.

I   thought my argument was pretty even, with Detroit getting the edge.

Archived