In all seriousness-Did a Rex extension happen?

Scott Dierking

I imagine that in my scenario, Kris Richard would go from Seattle's DB coach to Jets Defensive Coordinator, and Marquand Manuel would become the DB coach.  All speculative, of course.

Idzik promised that Rex would be back in 2014 and I imagine Rex will end up with a 1-year extension when all is said and done.  But Idzik said nothing about whether Rex would get to be the one to choose his new assistant coaches. 

If they are bringing in Seattle assistants I can't see them being on the defensive side, unless it is a junior level guy Idzik likes and wants to get experience under another quality defensive mind.  They aren't promoting a Seahawk guy to DC.  It would be stupid.  On second thought, they just might.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they are bringing in Seattle assistants I can't see them being on the defensive side, unless it is a junior level guy Idzik likes and wants to get experience under another quality defensive mind.  They aren't promoting a Seahawk guy to DC.  It would be stupid.  On second thought, they just might.

The Seahawks have had the best secondary in the NFL the last couple years, and it's not like they've done it with obvious names either.  Yes, Earl Thomas was the 14th overall pick in 2010.  But Kam Chancellor was a 5th rounder.  Richard Sherman was a 5th rounder. CB2 Byron Maxwell was a 6th rounder.  Obviously they're doing something right there.  

And meanwhile, until, the final quarter of the season our secondary was pretty pathetic.  So I absolutely could see it happening.

The Seahawks have had the best secondary in the NFL the last couple years, and it's not like they've done it with obvious names either.  Yes, Earl Thomas was the 14th overall pick in 2010.  But Kam Chancellor was a 5th rounder.  Richard Sherman was a 5th rounder. CB2 Byron Maxwell was a 6th rounder.  Obviously they're doing something right there.  

And meanwhile, until, the final quarter of the season our secondary was pretty pathetic.  So I absolutely could see it happening.

Is Idzik going to make the defensive calls too? Give me a ******* break.  Rex will may or may not let them do whatever they want on the offensive side of the ball, but he is not relinquishing control of the D to anybody.  

Is Idzik going to make the defensive calls too? Give me a ******* break.  Rex will may or may not let them do whatever they want on the offensive side of the ball, but he is not relinquishing control of the D to anybody.  

Why is this so far-fetched?  Once again, it was rumored near the end of the season via THIS article that Idzik wanted Rex to change up his defensive coaching staff.  Currently, all of his defensive coaches remain unsigned.  Also, the Seattle Seahawks currently are still playing football.  It all adds up pretty nicely, no?

Why is this so far-fetched?  Once again, it was rumored near the end of the season via THIS article that Idzik wanted Rex to change up his defensive coaching staff.  Currently, all of his defensive coaches remain unsigned.  Also, the Seattle Seahawks currently are still playing football.  It all adds up pretty nicely, no?

They might do it, but if they do it will be super dumb.  That is not an indictment of the defensive coaches on Seattle, but a system that does not have properly a delineated power structure.

They might do it, but if they do it will be super dumb.  That is not an indictment of the defensive coaches on Seattle, but a system that does not have properly a delineated power structure.

Are you surprised by this?  Woody, not Idzik, was the first to announce that Rex would be back in the first place.  We may not have the kind of problems the Miami Dolphins have with ownership, but Woody is far closer to Stephen Ross than he is the Mara's or Rooney's.

if I'm not mistaken, the assistants are free to talk to other teams, but I haven't seen where any of them have

very weird

only a matter of days before cimini and the other douches start building a fire here,,,,,,

The Daily News has learned that Jets special teams coach Ben Kotwica interviewed with the Redskins Tuesday to be a part of Jay Gruden’s staff. Kotwica is one of at least a half dozen Jets’ assistants who are not under contract for the 2014 season. A league source told the News that the Jets have offered Kotwica a contract. The assistants without deals for 2014 are free to test the waters and explore opportunities with other teams.

The Jets are currently negotiating a contract extension for Rex Ryan, but no deal has been finalized.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-special-teams-coach-kotwica-interviews-redskins-source-article-1.1579930#ixzz2qQmD9cz8

I don't care If Kotwica is gone or not, maybe the Cane will come back, he seems like he wants to, but if I'm reading this about Marty in a few days I'm going to be upset

we literally have no information. We can't prove it happened and we can't prove it didn't or won't. the last time we heard Woody say anything was in the Miami locker room. 

fwiw alot of league business gets done in Mobile every year. all the guys not in the playoffs are there and also out of work scouts and coaches use it as a job fair. 

We now know an extension HASN'T happened

I'm not sure it adds up nearly as nicely as the date when Idzik was hired + the date Bevell signed an extension with Seattle = Bevell being the Jets head coach this year.

Soon after the team announced that Rex would be the head coach in 2014, rumors quickly circulated that the team was offering a one year deal, but that Rex wanted a multi-year deal. Also rumored that Rex was willing to take his chances and let his current contract play out, and then sign his extension (or somewhere else) as a free agent next year.

I'm not sure it adds up nearly as nicely as the date when Idzik was hired + the date Bevell signed an extension with Seattle = Bevell being the Jets head coach this year.

Soon after the team announced that Rex would be the head coach in 2014, rumors quickly circulated that the team was offering a one year deal, but that Rex wanted a multi-year deal. Also rumored that Rex was willing to take his chances and let his current contract play out, and then sign his extension (or somewhere else) as a free agent next year.

I imagine we'll find out soon enough.  It's just surprising that after the lockerroom lovefest there's been no word on Rex's contract or his assistants.  Maybe reality set in soon after and they're back to business and brass tax, with both sides merely wanting different things. 

You're right that my theory may be T0mShane-esque, however.  That's not good company to be in.

Woody Johnson's idiocy would have tripped up Nostradamus himself.

To what exetent would Rex "balk", if Idzik decided to wait until the Seattle run is over, and then raid their coaching ranks for as many good quality coaches as he could pry away from that organization, to replace "Rex's guys"?

Unless they win it all, I what difference does it make? Rex's guys took a young qb to two championship games.

To what exetent would Rex "balk", if Idzik decided to wait until the Seattle run is over, and then raid their coaching ranks for as many good quality coaches  as he could pry away from that organization, to replace "Rex's guys"?

Not 100% sure, but I don't think teams can even talk to assistant coaches under contract unless they're offering the head coaching job.

Not 100% sure, but I don't think teams can even talk to assistant coaches under contract unless they're offering the head coaching job.

Really? Even if an assistant for some reason has a buy out clause. Lets say Idzik offers a guy (just as an example)$200,000/year to come to the Jets and the guy is making $100,000 with Seattle, but has a $50,000 buy out clause. He is still ahead $50,000?

You may be right, it might not be allowed if under contract. Just out of curiosity, how many contracts are expiring for coaches in Seattle?

http://www.ehow.com/list_6742856_nfl-rules-interviewing-assistant-coaches.html   Lateral Move
  • An NFL team cannot interview an assistant coach who is under contract as an assistant with another team for the following season without the permission of his current organization. Teams will usually give permission upon request, particularly if a lower level coach is set to take an offensive or defensive coordinator position elsewhere, but the current team is not required to give permission.

http://www.ehow.com/list_6742856_nfl-rules-interviewing-assistant-coaches.html   Lateral Move

• An NFL team cannot interview an assistant coach who is under contract as an assistant with another team for the following season without the permission of his current organization. Teams will usually give permission upon request, particularly if a lower level coach is set to take an offensive or defensive coordinator position elsewhere, but the current team is not required to give permission.

Ahh, so all's they need is permission. Thats interesting. So if a team asks permission but is denied and the coach who was sought by another team finds out that that he was "blocked" by his own team, he probably is not going to be too happy with his team, getting in the way of a possible promotion and pay raise. I would say, more times than not, most teams would grant permission.

I'm not sure of the current system, but It used to be you couldn't interview for lateral moves.  I think most of the contracts have an out for promotions, such as from position coach to coordinator.  I think that is why the phony title "Assistant Head Coach" came about.  It would let them claim a "promotion" when in effect the guy was still just a coordinator.  I'm sure in practice most staffs will let guys interview for promotions regardless of the contract because otherwise you would get some bad blood in the staff. 

*EDIT: Asked and answered

I'm not sure of the current system, but It used to be you couldn't interview for lateral moves.  I think most of the contracts have an out for promotions, such as from position coach to coordinator.  I think that is why the phony title "Assistant Head Coach" came about.  It would let them claim a "promotion" when in effect the guy was still just a coordinator.  I'm sure in practice most staffs will let guys interview for promotions regardless of the contract because otherwise you would get some bad blood in the staff. 

*EDIT: Asked and answered

Interesting. So if the Seahawks make it to the SuperBowl (and they will to face NE in the IRONY BOWL), then Idzik will have another 2 weeks to delay, interviewing and hiring the coaches he wants from Seattle. This gives the Rex coaches not under contract more time to squirm and wonder about their future, making it all the more likely that some leave taking the best offer they can find, rather than wait until all these other coaching permutations take place. Idzik is one sharp and sly dude.

Interesting. So if the Seahawks make it to the SuperBowl (and they will to face NE in the IRONY BOWL), then Idzik will have another 2 weeks to delay, interviewing and hiring the coaches he wants from Seattle. This gives the Rex coaches not under contract more time to squirm and wonder about their future, making it all the more likely that some leave taking the best offer they can find, rather than wait until all these other coaching permutations take place. Idzik is one sharp and sly dude.

I'd prefer for this not to happen.  Go 49ers.

JANUARY 15, 2014 2:52 PM
Special teams coordinator Ben Kotwica leaves Jets for Redskins

BY SETH WALDER

Rex Ryan may be staying as head coach of the Jets, but he’s lost one of his coordinators. Special teams coordinator Ben Kotwica will become the special teams coordinator for the Washington Redskins under new head coach Jay Gruden.

The Daily News reported Tuesday that Kotwica was interviewing with the Redskins that day. The Jets did make Kotwica an offer to return, according to a league source. Kotwica had previously interviewed for the head coaching job at Army.

Kotwica was the Jets special teams coordinator for just one season after taking over for retiring coordinator Mike Westhoff. 

With Ryan’s contract still up in the air, Kotwica was one of at least six assistants currently without a contract. Those assistants are free to sign with other teams.

By most statistical measures, the Jets were mediocre on special teams in 2013. They finished 27th in the league in net punt yardage, 18th in the league in kickoff return average, 16th in punt return average and 11th in opponents’ kickoff return average. Nick Folk was the bright spot, converting 33 of 36 field goal attempts.

Twitter.com/SethWalderNYDN

That's a whole lot of assumptions being made just to get to the point of criticizing Idzik for something we have little to no information about.

True, but it sure looks like a distinct possibility, dont you think?

I can see what you're saying, but the fact that they apparently had made an offer to Kotwica makes it seem like there's more at play here than simply waiting around for Seattle to get bounced from the playoffs.  Who the hell knows, we'll see sooner or later I suppose.

Interesting note from this article: http://nypost.com/2014/01/16/westhoff-would-listen-after-kotwica-leaves-jets-for-redskins/

According to a league source, the Jets are believed to have offered new contracts to almost all — if not all — of their assistants with expiring contracts like Kotwica. The group includes defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman, and running backs coach Anthony Lynn.

Archived