Lions to hire Caldwell as their coach

faba

Lions hire Jim Caldwell as coach
Updated: January 14, 2014, 12:39 PM ET
By Michael Rothstein | ESPN.com

•  

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- The Detroit Lions have hired Jim Caldwell as their head coach, ending a two-week search during which they interviewed only four candidates.

The 58-year-old Caldwell fit a lot of the criteria Detroit had during its search. The team wanted someone with head-coaching experience and experience on offense, apparently preferably with quarterbacks.

Caldwell became the second minority candidate to land a head-coaching job this month, joining new Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Lovie Smith.

Caldwell was the first person to interview for the Detroit job, followed by former Houston coach Gary Kubiak, former Tennessee coach Mike Munchak and San Diego offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt.

The Lions were spurned by Whisenhunt, thought to be Detroit's top choice, on Monday evening when the former San Diego offensive coordinator chose Tennessee over the Lions.

The Lions had been seeking a replacement for Jim Schwartz, who was fired following Detroit's late-season collapse and 7-9 finish.

Caldwell has been a head coach at two prior stops -- from 2009 to 2011 with the Indianapolis Colts and from 1993 to 2000 with Wake Forest.

After the Demon Deacons fired Caldwell, he became a quarterbacks coach in the NFL, first for Tampa Bay, where he worked with Brad Johnson in 2001 and then to Indianapolis, where he was Peyton Manning's quarterback coach from 2002 until 2008.

After being fired from Indianapolis in 2011, he went to Baltimore first as a quarterback coach and then as the team's offensive coordinator for its Super Bowl run after replacing Cam Cameron in December of last season.

Under Caldwell this season, the Ravens were 29th in total offense (307.4 yards a game) and 25th in scoring (20 points a game). Quarterback Joe Flacco, who Caldwell was brought in to mentor, threw more interceptions (22) than touchdowns (19) this season.

Caldwell, who played defensive back at Iowa from 1973 to 1976, has spent the entirety of his coaching career on offense, including at Penn State as a quarterbacks coach from 1986 to 1992.

ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter contributed to this report.

Under Caldwell this season, the Ravens were 29th in total offense (307.4 yards a game) and 25th in scoring (20 points a game). Quarterback Joe Flacco, who Caldwell was brought in to mentor, threw more interceptions (22) than touchdowns (19) this season.

ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter contributed to this report.

You can't quibble with the results he got with the Ravens.  Clearly he is cut out to be a Lions Head Coach. :sign0098:

Almost makes the case that Wrecks was the best of a lot of bad alternatives. Almost.

I think it's pretty blatantly obvious the Jets would be downgrading if they chose to dive into this crop of HC candidates. Very glad they kept Ryan over these schlubs.

I say this knowing that some of these men are Offensives Coaches, descendants of the legendary Football Men of yore.

You can't quibble with the results he got with the Ravens.  Clearly he is cut out to be a Lions Head Coach. :sign0098:

He will however be having a party, when he gets to work with a REAL NFL QB in Matt Stafford as opposed to the most overrated and overpaid QB in the NFL in Joe Flacco. How they won it all last year, and in the process beating Peyton Manning will go down as more mysterious than the Loch Ness Monster.

Looks like teams are still not willing to take a chance on a fresh person

There aren't many great candidates right now. And I wouldn't be shocked if that was a factor in Rex being retained.  They looked at the alternatives, and weren't crazy about what they saw.

There aren't many great candidates right now. And I wouldn't be shocked if that was a factor in Rex being retained.  They looked at the alternatives, and weren't crazy about what they saw.

I go back to the Eagles that took a risk in Kelly. 

He will however be having a party, when he gets to work with a REAL NFL QB in Matt Stafford as opposed to the most overrated and overpaid QB in the NFL in Joe Flacco. How they won it all last year, and in the process beating Peyton Manning will go down as more mysterious than the Loch Ness Monster.

... as opposed to 2011 when he beat the Texans and got squeaked by the Pats because Lee Evans choked and Billy Cundiff could not hit a chip shot, 2010 when he beat the Chiefs, 2009 when they crushed the Pats and 2008 when they beat the Titans and Dolphins.  Flacco has been getting better and better in the playoffs.  

LOL

Like you wouldn't kill to have that guy on the Jets right now.

While not a slam dunk, I don't think Caldwell is a bad hire at all for the Lions.  His Colts team went to the SB with Manning and established talent at every other position, and sucked ass in a rebuilding year without Melon Head.  Wasn't he a QB coach with the Colts, too?  One thing is for sure, we'll know how good a coach he is in short order.  The Lions are not exactly short on talent.

LOL

Like you wouldn't kill to have that guy on the Jets right now.

I would have to think long and hard about Flacco. Of course he's better than what we have, but then again, I am drooling over Mike Vick, and Josh McCown, but in reality, if I had to choose between Flacco, and one of the top guys coming out this year, sorry but I'll take Bridgewater or Manziel over Flacco and his ridiculous contract, and terrible stats.

While not a slam dunk, I don't think Caldwell is a bad hire at all for the Lions.  His Colts team went to the SB with Manning and established talent at every other position, and sucked ass in a rebuilding year without Melon Head.  Wasn't he a QB coach with the Colts, too?  One thing is for sure, we'll know how good a coach he is in short order.  The Lions are not exactly short on talent.

I dunno-Moore and Manning ran the offense and they let him do the rest and he wasn't up to it. . If you recall the Jets/Cots playoff game, Manning was on the sideline openly losing his f___ing mind with Caldwell'' decisions. His 2 biggest debacles were getting fooled by an onside kick in the Super Bowl and not being aware of Cro returning a kickoff. it's one thing to be cool and deliberate, Caldwell's almost cationic close to dead. Whinsenhut or Wrecks would've been a serious decision, Wrecks /Caldwell isn't even close. 

I think this is a terrible hire.

If Dungy hadn't made Caldwell his right hand man in Indy, I doubt Caldwell would have ever been the coach of the Colts. Do any of you know what Caldwell's college head coaching record was? 26-63, 1-0 in Bowl Games How was he ever qualified to get his first NFL head coaching job let alone his second? It should also be noted that Caldwell was never even an offensive coordinator prior to his time with the Ravens. Like I said, looking at Caldwell's lack of credentials when he became Colts HC, you have to wonder if Tony Dungy was THE reason he got the job, whispering in Irsay's ear.

Giving Caldwell significant credit for the Colts success is just ridiculous to me. Manning made those teams what they were, and we saw what the Colts were without him a pathetic excuse for a professional football team; Caldwell didn't bring anything substantial to the table that helped them in my view. I don't understand why the Lions made this hire, I feel bad for Lions fans, and honestly think they may have been better off with Schwartz than firing him for Caldwell.

If the Jets fired Rex and hired Caldwell, that might have been the last straw for me and I may have had to go into self imposed fan exile, because it would have been plainly obvious to me that this organization has worse decision making than anyone could have ever imagined and I shouldn't waste my time supporting them as they currently stand.

Jim Caldwell career win pct in NFL > Rex Ryan. 

And he took a team to the Super Bowl. 

No it's not when you include playoffs which is even more meaningful than regular season.

Rex Ryan 45-40

Jim Caldwell 28-24

"he took a team to the super bowl" is like saying Austin Collie took that team to the Super Bowl. You'd have to find someone really incompetent to mess that team up.

We've seen Rex with crap play at QB, hasn't done worse than 6-10, we've seen Caldwell too, 2-14 worst team in the league.

I think this is a terrible hire.

If Dungy hadn't made Caldwell his right hand man in Indy, I doubt Caldwell would have ever been the coach of the Colts. Do any of you know what Caldwell's college head coaching record was? 26-63, 1-0 in Bowl Games How was he ever qualified to get his first NFL head coaching job let alone his second? It should also be noted that Caldwell was never even an offensive coordinator prior to his time with the Ravens. Like I said, looking at Caldwell's lack of credentials when he became Colts HC, you have to wonder if Tony Dungy was THE reason he got the job, whispering in Irsay's ear.

Giving Caldwell significant credit for the Colts success is just ridiculous to me. Manning made those teams what they were, and we saw what the Colts were without him a pathetic excuse for a professional football team; Caldwell didn't bring anything substantial to the table that helped them in my view. I don't understand why the Lions made this hire, I feel bad for Lions fans, and honestly think they may have been better off with Schwartz than firing him for Caldwell.

If the Jets fired Rex and hired Caldwell, that might have been the last straw for me and I may have had to go into self imposed fan exile, because it would have been plainly obvious to me that this organization has worse decision making than anyone could have ever imagined and I shouldn't waste my time supporting them as they currently stand.

No it's not when you include playoffs which is even more meaningful than regular season.

Rex Ryan 45-40

Jim Caldwell 28-24

"he took a team to the super bowl" is like saying Austin Collie took that team to the Super Bowl. You'd have to find someone really incompetent to mess that team up.

We've seen Rex with crap play at QB, hasn't done worse than 6-10, we've seen Caldwell too, 2-14 worst team in the league.

^ this.

Rex Ryan 45-40

Jim Caldwell 28-24

Hate to break it to you, but Caldwell's percentage is STILL > Rex.

Jim Caldwell career win pct in NFL > Rex Ryan. 

And he took a team to the Super Bowl. 

Far be it from me to talk up Wrecks, but he out coached Caldwell in a playoff game in Caldwell's home stadium when he had Mark Sanchez and Caldwell had pre-surgery Peyton Manning. This is an horrendous hire for the Lions. Bevell or Lovie Smith or Wisenhut would have been way better. And frankly it this instance anyway it would have been insane to hire this guy over Wrecks.

I mean, the year he got the Colts to the SB was his rookie year and I feel like his job was to just not get in the way. Without Manning 2-14 and he let Rex school him one year in the playoffs. He did seem to create a pretty good plan with the Ravens once they got into the playoffs last year though. He's not a complete buffoon or anything but he just doesn't strike me as a leader or any kind of innovator. Love Smith would have been the better fit IMO. Snooze u loose.

Archived