Westoff- should the Jets inquire to bring him back?

faba

Didn't he make a few comments about the organization? Did he burn some bridges?

I remember him visiting camp a few times, so I hope that means everyone is cool with each other.

I'd be good with his return.

So, who do you suggest instead of Westhoff?

So, who do you suggest instead of Westhoff?

I think someone will shake loose when the current staffs blow up next week, can't say I have anyone in mind but Westy was

weak in last year, and second to last year wasn't so great.  I'm sure our GM alrealdy has his guy in mind.

Okay, now it's making sense.  The Jets aren't finalizing Rex's contract because they wanted to get Kotwica out of there and make an offer to Westhoff, which Westhoff is not exactly beating back with a stick.  They offer Kotwica a low-ball contract to give him a hint that he might want to look elsewhere which makes Kotwica's job search easier-after all it's not like he was fired. Kotwica gets a new job and Westhoff comes back.

Why all this extra effort for Kotwica, an assistant that you want to push out?  Because he went to West Point, went into active duty and came back to coach West Point.  He gets extra respect.

JAN 15
4:15
PM ET
Could Mike Westhoff pull a Brett Favre?

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

• Now that special teams coach Ben Kotwica is off to the Washington Redskins, people want to know: Could Mike Westhoff come out of retirement to replace the man who replaced him? 

Westhoff, reached by phone shortly after Kotwica-to-the-Redskins became official, said he hadn't been contacted by the Jets. 

"I'd certainly listen to them," he said, "but I'm happy with what I'm doing." 

Westhoff, 66, the Jets' special teams coach from 2001 to 2012, is working in the media world as an analyst for ESPN New York 98.7 and SNY television. If you haven't seen or heard him, you should make it point to do so, because he's very good. He told me he has spurned feelers from other teams, adding that he's enjoying his current gig too much to actively pursue a coaching opportunity. 

"I'm no youngster, but I know I could [return to coaching]. I didn't like the way it ended up," said Westhoff, alluding to the Jets' special-teams struggles in 2012. "But I'm very happy with what I'm doing, my decision to retire. I'm not looking to get back into coaching, but I'll always look at everything. I'll never say 'never.'" 

Westhoff is one of the most competitive people I've ever met, and I could see him back on the sideline. But I just don't think it will be the Jets' sideline. Yes, he's a brilliant coach, one of the best in his field, but my hunch is they will look for a younger coach with a fresh approach.

Archived