Carroll most popular coach in poll

faba

That seems a bit more complicated than need be. I simply based it on the percentages that were provided, and simple math gives you the numbers that I came up with. It seems to me that anytime I come up with a valid analysis of the data that is provided, without the knowledge of any of the assumptions that you made in your analysis, that you immediately form the conclusion that my analysis is "agenda driven", which may be true, but in this case, the numbers don't lie.

Speaking of Agenda, are you disappointed that a former coach of the Jets who was jettisoned out of this town faster than anyone not named tebow, was far ahead of your Savior?

Your simple math is flawed, that's why it is addressed. As BG already stated, your assumption that the 320 players polled represent the entirety of the NY Jets, is inaccurate.

And 100 percent of Jets players LOVE to play for Rex. Every OTHER Sunday. After a big win we can alwaysexpect a blowout loss to follow. That is the perfect mediocrity. I loved Pete when he was with the Jets and I thought it was a huge mistake by Hess to fire him.

That seems a bit more complicated than need be. I simply based it on the percentages that were provided, and simple math gives you the numbers that I came up with. It seems to me that anytime I come up with a valid analysis of the data that is provided, without the knowledge of any of the assumptions that you made in your analysis, that you immediately form the conclusion that my analysis is "agenda driven", which may be true, but in this case, the numbers don't lie.

Speaking of Agenda, are you disappointed that a former coach of the Jets who was jettisoned out of this town faster than anyone not named tebow, was far ahead of your Savior?

BG is right and explained what I was about to. Your way of looking at the numbers makes less sense that Crusher in a SaladWorks

Please do not use the words data or analysis again.  Thank you. 

Your simple math is flawed, that's why it is addressed. As BG already stated, your assumption that the 320 players polled represent the entirety of the NY Jets, is inaccurate.

That's ridiculous. You could say that about any team, so if that's the case, then those numbers are completely bogus and not worth addressing.

The problem is that your "simple math" is wrong, as you're applying logic that is completely unfounded.  By your logic, every single player in the NFL would have to want to play for Rex more than any other coach, including their own current coach, in order for all of the Jets' players to simply like playing for Rex.  That conclusion is baseless and without any logical defense.  You can claim that numbers don't lie, but when you are using different numbers than those that are presented, your analysis based upon them still is without merit.  Not to mention, in order to even use that as the basis of analysis you would have to apply the same logic to every other coach in the league, which still ultimately lands Rex as 4th amongst all league coaches.  Absolutely nothing you do can change that.

Your last statement only further drives home the point that you are being blinded by your own beliefs.  I could care less what Carroll did with this team 20 years ago, especially considering he failed with the Patriots immediately after that before leaving for the college ranks for 10 years.  On the other hand, your claims about my opinions on Rex are also wrong.  I've made it rather clear for over a year now that I, while have no particular hate for the guy, I certainly understand the justification behind some of the criticism and have said that I would have had no issue with Idzik choosing to replace him either last year or this year, if he had what he felt was a superior candidate in mind.  However, that doesn't change the fact that I'm still going to take issue with instances, such as this, where people are making things up to suit their agenda.  I've said this countless times before on this board already, there's plenty of legitimate reasons to criticize Rex, I don't deny that, fabricating others hurts your argument more than it helps it.  That applies to everything from the unsupportable attempts to blame Rex for Tanny's bad trades and draft picks to an incorrect analysis of data that is being claimed to mean something that it unquestionably does not.

Not to mention, you citing my "savior" as a guy I've been fine with seeing replaced for over a year now is a joke.

Basically at 7%, so assuming you have lets say 60 players on the team, 10% would mean that 6 players like to play for Rex but given he is at 7%, that means about 5 players would prefer to play for REX. And I thought that his #1 virtue was that the players loved playing for him.

remember that video in Miami of the players celebrating when it was announced that he was staying on? Turns out that all but 5 were faking that celebration. Hmmm.........

Huh? So being 4th out of 32 on this list is a problem?

How about the coaches that don't even crack the list? Once you get past the top 9, that's 79.8%, thus 20.2% to go around between 23 coaches, meaning less than 1% on average. Thus, on average, players prefer Rex 7:1 over 23 other head coaches in the league. And this is... bad news?

Rex gets love from opponents

By Rich Cimini | November 23, 2010 10:49:42 AM PST

In the current issue of Sports Illustrated, there's a survery of NFL players, based on the following question: For which other coach would you like to play for?

The winner, in a landslide, is Rex Ryan of the New York Jets. A total of 279 players were polled from across the league, and Ryan received nearly one quarter of the votes. Here's the breakdown:

Ryan, 21%

Mike Tomlin (Pittsburgh Steelers), 12%

Sean Payton (New Orleans Saints), 9%

Jeff Fisher (Tennessee Titans), 8%

Bill Belichick (New England Patriots), 7%

Let's call it the Rex Effect. He turns off a lot of opponents because of his extreme confidence and big-talking style, but he also commands respect because of ... well, his extreme confidence and big-talking style. Players like him because he's fearless and speaks their language. He also doesn't run a boot camp; he tries to pace players through a season by allowing their bodies to rest. Not all coaches are like that. (See Belichick).

Evidently, HBO's "Hard Knocks" had the desired effect, with Ryan's popularity soaring. If nothing else, that should help the Jets' recruiting in free agency.

FREE AGENT TRACTOR BEAM

Look at the silver lining, at least there are multiple posters in this thread who have moved on and are now no longer arguing with you. :tongue:

That is unless of course you actually agree with that analysis, in which case I can't help you there.

Polls are an excuse for writers who have nothing better to do. Arguing over them is just as useless.

Huh? So being 4th out of 32 on this list is a problem?

How about the coaches that don't even crack the list? Once you get past the top 9, that's 79.8%, thus 20.2% to go around between 23 coaches, meaning less than 1% on average. Thus, on average, players prefer Rex 7:1 over 23 other head coaches in the league. And this is... bad news?

Great news for Carroll.

BG is right and explained what I was about to. Your way of looking at the numbers makes less sense that Crusher in a SaladWorks

saladworks-front.JPG

True Story.  There is one of these houses of the unhoily in Reston Virginia.  A friend of mine asked me to meet him there for lunch and the first thing out of my mouth was "why?"  We ended up at Clydes instead. Nice burgers full bar.  "IN" 

Basically at 7%, so assuming you have lets say 60 players on the team, 10% would mean that 6 players like to play for Rex but given he is at 7%, that means about 5 players would prefer to play for REX. And I thought that his #1 virtue was that the players loved playing for him.

remember that video in Miami of the players celebrating when it was announced that he was staying on? Turns out that all but 5 were faking that celebration. Hmmm.........

320 out of a minimum of 1696 players were polled. Since I doubt it was a scientific study, the results can be swayed 1000s of ways. The fact that Tomlin and Rex are up there with the 2 Sb coaches speaks volumes.

Archived