Robert Kraft hints Patriots may be seeking relief from Aaron Hernadez' cap hit

F.Chowds

When the Patriots released Aaron Hernandez last summer, they assumed the risk of $7.5 million in dead money against the salary cap for the 2014 season. Based on the extreme circumstances that led to the roster transaction, it would make sense for the Patriots to ask the league for relief from that massive charge.

However, it's unclear how willing the NFL might be to help them with that. Owner Robert Kraft was asked today if the Patriots are asking the NFL for such relief.

"We’re doing whatever we can to free up any money we can," Kraft said. "My friend here (pointing to a reporter) has said we need some players on the offensive side. Other people say we need on the defensive side. We have a fellow like Matt Slater who is such an outstanding special teams player, he’s a free agent coming up (after the 2014 season), so we have to balance a lot of things."

Kraft obviously didn't directly answer the question, but he didn't deny the possibility, either. The Patriots could also gain cap room by releasing the likes of Tommy KellyIsaac Sopoaga and Adrian Wilson, who would combine to give the Pats more than $6 million in additional cap room. They could even gain about $4 million by creatively extending Vince Wilfork's contract, or $8 million by releasing him, and there are others who fall in a similar category with less financial ramifications. Kraft's comments also make it sound like the Patriots could extend Slater's contract this offseason.

Kraft was then asked if the Patriots have made any in-house changes since the Hernandez situation.

"We’ve made certain adjustments internally in terms of our own checking," Kraft said. "We have a wonderful individual who is (working as) a full-time pastor, who has been very strong in terms of his spiritual guidance, and we have our own internal disciplines. We probably have 100 young men come through the system. It’s hard to know everything, but I can assure you we’re being as vigilant as we can be."

I am not a big tinfoil hat guy but if this happens then the NFL is in bed with Kraft/thePats. The kid had all kinds of red flags coming out of college and they chose the draft him anyway. who fault is that?

While they are at it can we get come cap relief for Goodson if he goes up north?

Aaron Hernandez is innocent until proven guilty.  If he's found not guilty the Jets should sign this beast.

I agree. Kraft released an INNOCENT player, and sorry but you have to take the hit. Suppose GOODELL and the NFL grant the Pats relief, and then Hernandez is acquitted or they decide, not enough evidence etc..  then Kraft will be screaming that he should be back on the Patriots.

I mean , I don't blame Kraft for trying but hey, in America, INNOCENT until proven guilty. Read the Constitution Bob.

So what I'm hearing is, we need Mark to commit a horrendous crime before we cut him, so that his dead money hit comes off the books.  

Gotcha.  

The future NFL: where players get framed by billionaire owners to save some wiggle room. 

So what I'm hearing is, we need Mark to commit a horrendous crime before we cut him, so that his dead money hit comes off the books.  

Gotcha.  

The future NFL: where players get framed by billionaire owners to save some wiggle room. 

So the headband doesn't count?

I sympathize with Kraft to an extent. It's bad enough this scumbag got fronted all these millions of his money and won't play again because of his off-field acts.  Then the Pats not being able to use additional $ on others is insult to injury.  But it's also too f*cking bad.  It is quite simple:

They paid money to Hernandez.  All money paid to a player must come off the team's salary cap.  Leon Bender counted against the Raiders' cap after he died and the league told Davis to stick it in his ear.

This isn't the first time Kraft has tried this.  He also filed the same protest with the league when Robert Edwards busted up his knee at the pro bowl (he was playing beach volleyball or flag football or something at a off-field pro bowl event).  This was after the league had already told Al Davis no dice.  Kraft also petitioned the league for extra draft pick(s) when Edwards got hurt as well.

Kraft doesn't think the league's rules should apply to him or the Patriots, who he thinks deserve special, privileged treatment that no one else is entitled to.  I think this much is and has been clear for years and years.

So you sign a guy, and he turns out to be a murderer (maybe)--and if he does--you get cap relief.  Uhm, I don't see any problem with that.

Then it is a short step to get cap relief because your draft pick fumbles too much, is slow in pads or can;t play hurt.  The players' availability for any and all reasons, including legal issues, is part of the overall draft equation.  No mulligans.

While not an apples to apples comparison, a precendent has been set.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7875426/atlanta-falcons-got-3m-cap-credit-michael-vick-debt-sources-say

More like apples to mangosteens.  If I am not mistaken, the Falcons did not get relief until Vick had a contract with the Eagles.  My point is, you take  your chances with players and this includes ineptitude, injuries, legal problems, alien abductions, etc.  It is all baked into the decision process on the part of the organizations.  There shouldn't be exceptions or special dispensation made for bad decisions or bad luck.

While not an apples to apples comparison, a precendent has been set.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7875426/atlanta-falcons-got-3m-cap-credit-michael-vick-debt-sources-say

The difference between Vick and Hernandez is the Patriots released Hernandez out of his contract soon after his arrest but before he was incarcerated. 

The Falcons kept Vick under contract even through his incarceration allowing them to utilize the forfeitable salary provisions within the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA).

The NFL already provided the Patriots salary cap relief by allowing Hernandez's guaranteed 2013-14 season salary (about $2.5 million) to be voided under "conduct detrimental to the league" although the Patriots did not release him under the conduct portion of his contract which they could have.

The Patriots failed to put in the proper language which would have voided the above mentioned money but the league stepped in and did it for them. The NFLPA has filed a grievance to try and retain this money.

Your example is apples to oranges, if the Patriots had the proper contract language and kept Hernandez under contract even for a month or so they could have used the CBA to recoup forfeitable funds.

They may have wanted to wash their hands of Hernandez, understandable, but the Falcons held Vick and the Giants held Plaxico Burress under contract for protection under the CBA releasing them after the process played out.

Think the Patriots could have explained why they were keeping Hernandez under contract and people would understand but by releasing him the Patriots gave away their rights and gave Hernandez the ability to potentially recoup all guaranteed money owed.

http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-blog/2011/08/31/falcons-will-benefit-from-michael-vicks-new-contract/

"Vick’s new reported six-year, $100 million contract with the Philadelphia Eagles means he should be able to clear all of the creditors listed in his original bankruptcy, which totaled about $20 million.

Not surprisingly, the biggest creditor was the Falcons. They are owed $7.5 million from his signing bonus after he defaulted on his contract."

Hernandez never defaulted on his contract he was released from it.

Convicted.  Once Hernandez is convicted, you'll have a point.

lol wut ?   read it again

The NFL already provided the Patriots salary cap relief by allowing Hernandez's guaranteed 2013-14 season salary (about $2.5 million) to be voided under "conduct detrimental to the league" although the Patriots did not release him under the conduct portion of his contract which they could have.

The Patriots failed to put in the proper language which would have voided the above mentioned money but the league stepped in and did it for them. The NFLPA has filed a grievance to try and retain this money.

Your example is apples to oranges, if the Patriots had the proper contract language and kept Hernandez under contract even for a month or so they could have used the CBA to recoup forfeitable funds.

More like apples to mangosteens.  If I am not mistaken, the Falcons did not get relief until Vick had a contract with the Eagles.  My point is, you take  your chances with players and this includes ineptitude, injuries, legal problems, alien abductions, etc.  It is all baked into the decision process on the part of the organizations.  There shouldn't be exceptions or special dispensation made for bad decisions or bad luck.

No doubt.  Which makes no clause in his contract inexplicable. Like with the Falcons, they will be lucky to get some relief sometime in the future and if your point is the guide (e.g. signing with Eagles) then that means he needs to be acquitted and then signed.

Convicted.  Once Hernandez is convicted, you'll have a point.

Even then, they are grasping at straws.

The difference between Vick and Hernandez is the Patriots released Hernandez out of his contract soon after his arrest but before he was incarcerated. 

The Falcons kept Vick under contract even through his incarceration allowing them to utilize the forfeitable salary provisions within the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA).

They may have wanted to wash their hands of Hernandez, understandable, but the Falcons held Vick and the Giants held Plaxico Burress under contract for protection under the CBA releasing them after the process played out.

Think the Patriots could have explained why they were keeping Hernandez under contract and people would understand but by releasing him the Patriots gave away their rights and gave Hernandez the ability to potentially recoup all guaranteed money owed.

http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-blog/2011/08/31/falcons-will-benefit-from-michael-vicks-new-contract/

"Vick’s new reported six-year, $100 million contract with the Philadelphia Eagles means he should be able to clear all of the creditors listed in his original bankruptcy, which totaled about $20 million.

Not surprisingly, the biggest creditor was the Falcons. They are owed $7.5 million from his signing bonus after he defaulted on his contract."

Hernandez never defaulted on his contract he was released from it.

That still pisses me off.  While murder might have been a stretch, he had some warning signs while at Florida.

Aaron Hernandez is innocent until proven guilty.  If he's found not guilty the Jets should sign this beast.

There is a gigantic difference between being guilty and being convicted. There is zero chance that he is not guilty, though his million dollar lawyers will probably confuse the jury so much they come back with a not guilty verdict. I would not watch the Jets if they signed this POS

I sympathize with Kraft to an extent. It's bad enough this scumbag got fronted all these millions of his money and won't play again because of his off-field acts.  Then the Pats not being able to use additional $ on others is insult to injury.  But it's also too f*cking bad.  It is quite simple:

They paid money to Hernandez.  All money paid to a player must come off the team's salary cap.  Leon Bender counted against the Raiders' cap after he died and the league told Davis to stick it in his ear.

This isn't the first time Kraft has tried this.  He also filed the same protest with the league when Robert Edwards busted up his knee at the pro bowl (he was playing beach volleyball or flag football or something at a off-field pro bowl event).  This was after the league had already told Al Davis no dice.  Kraft also petitioned the league for extra draft pick(s) when Edwards got hurt as well.

Kraft doesn't think the league's rules should apply to him or the Patriots, who he thinks deserve special, privileged treatment that no one else is entitled to.  I think this much is and has been clear for years and years.

but really what team wouldnt try this?

worst thing that could happen is they say no

Archived