NFL Draft prospect announces he's gay: Michael Sam, OLB/DE Missouri

T0mShane

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In all seriousness, the net effect is probably zero. While there maybe some Gm/Coach combos who would be fearful of the negative repercussions should they cut him, there's probably others that will seek the press attention of the move, i think the majority will probably base both decisions (draft and/or cutting him) based on football alone and the other 2 groups will largely cancel one another out.

SI already has an article up quoting anonymous scouts and front office personnel. Based on the majority of the reaction, it doesn't seem like a smart move for Sam to come out prior to the draft. If nothing else, there is some interesting insight into what goes on in a draft room:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20140209/michael-sam-draft-stock/

You don't think that's a factor? Jerry Richardson won't let Cam Newton get a tattoo.

There have been tons of gay NFL players already. People know, he's just the first to publicly come out.

The biggest issue will be the attention it gets. It will be relentless.

That's always been a worst kept secret type of thing. Him or Jeffries.

Holy crap.

Here's the thing: if Jadeveon Clowney comes out as gay tomorrow, he still goes top three. But Sam is a fourth-fifth rounder that the hierarchy now has to have a meeting about drafting. It's a significant, time-consuming event loaded with potential landmines. Unless they think that Sam is a potential 10-sack guy, it's probably not worth making that phone call to your owner to ask for permission.

Holy crap.

Here's the thing: if Jadeveon Clowney comes out as gay tomorrow, he still goes top three. But Sam is a fourth-fifth rounder that the hierarchy now has to have a meeting about drafting. It's a significant, time-consuming event loaded with potential landmines. Unless they think that Sam is a potential 10-sack guy, it's probably not worth making that phone call to your owner to ask for permission.

I guess apparently everyone knew already. I don't blame him...but I doubt Tom Coughlin wants to be standing at a podium and have to deal with Ariana Huffinton on a daily basis. Look at their homepage already lol....it looks like Indian Point was just bombed.

New Orleans Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma might not be happy if a fellow NFL player were to come out as gay and wind up in the shower next to him.

Andrea Kremer, the NFL's chief correspondent for player health and safety, recently sat down with various NFL members to discuss the culture of the locker room. The men admitted to a no-holds-barred atmosphere, where the n-word flies and hazing happens. But apparently the possibility of an openly gay player in that atmosphere would "test the limits of tolerance," according to Kremer.

"There's such a stigma with gay and homosexuals within male sports," London Fletcher, Washington Redskins linebacker, said during the session with Kremer. "It would be very difficult for that first person to come out."

"I think that he would not be accepted as much as we think he would be accepted," Vilma added. "I don't want people to just naturally assume, like, 'Oh, we're all homophobic.' That's really not the case. Imagine if he's the guy next to me and, you know, I get dressed, naked, taking a shower, the whole nine, and it just so happens he looks at me. How am I supposed to respond?"

OutSports' Cyd Zeigler suggested Vilma respond the way someone would to anyone who's looking in the shower: Tell a joke or just keep chatting like it never happened.

Vilma was accused of homophobia in 2011 when he tweeted: “Grown men should NOT hav [sic] female tendencies. Period.” When a backlash ensued, he responded: “So of course the homosexual men get sensitive to my tweet and respond all ticked off. RELAX I was not referring to u guys."

I guess apparently everyone knew already. I don't blame him...but I doubt Tom Coughlin wants to be standing at a podium and have to deal with Ariana Huffinton on a daily basis. Look at their homepage already lol....it looks like Indian Point was just bombed.

Bill Belichick getting asked by Anderson Cooper why Sam doesn't play more. I need to see this.

I hope the kid succeeds and has a solid career, so that each gay player that enters the draft from here on out can enter it as a player and not a gay-player. I would have to imagine it's tough enough trying to make it in the NFL, let alone championing gay-rights for millions of people at the same time.

Yes. Couldn't have said it better.

I hope the kid succeeds and has a solid career, so that each gay player that enters the draft from here on out can enter it as a player and not a gay-player. I would have to imagine it's tough enough trying to make it in the NFL, let alone championing gay-rights for millions of people at the same time.

Maybe, unless he fails, then hell hath no fury like a horde scorned.

Missouri's Michael Sam says he is gay, could become first openly gay NFL player

Craig Wolff/The Star-Ledger By Craig Wolff/The Star-Ledger

on February 09, 2014 at 8:43 PM, updated February 09, 2014 at 11:23 PM

The scouting reports on Michael Sam, a first-team All-American, radiate with words NFL teams love to hear: "A tackler with speed;" "Quick off the snap;" "A proven playmaker."

Sam, already destined to be selected in May’s NFL Draft, instantly transformed his public profile Sunday night with an historic disclosure that he is gay.

If the projections for him are on the mark, Sam, a University of Missouri defensive end, would become the first openly gay male athlete to be drafted and then play in any of the country’s four major sports leagues.

"I’m not afraid of who I am," he said last night on ESPN’s "Outside the Lines." "I’m not afraid to tell the world who I am. I’m Michael Sam. I’m a college graduate. I’m African-American and I’m gay."

Sam offered the same disclosure in a story published last night by the New York Times.

Sandwiched a week after the Super Bowl and a week before the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, Sam’s announcement adds intrigue to a time of year when the league is evaluating the country’s top talents.

Come summer training, the league and his future teammates would certainly be scrutinized for how he is accepted and navigates the daily rituals of life in the NFL.

"We admire Michael Sam’s honesty and courage," the NFL said. "Michael is a football player. Any player with ability and determination can succeed in the NFL. We look forward to welcoming and supporting Michael Sam in 2014."

For now, Sam’s disclosure gives a jolt to a sports culture that has struggled with the issue, even as states have granted gays more rights. In Sochi, Russia, the Winter Olympics also has drawn attention to gay rights. With Russia having passed laws against homosexuality, the U.S. sent a delegation that included two openly gay former athletes in a not-so-muted protest.

On Friday, President Obama said the U.S. wanted to send a message to Russian President Vladimir Putin against discrimination based on sexuality.

Sam followed a similar step taken in April by Jason Collins of the NBA. Collins, a 12-season veteran, was a free agent then and still has not been signed by any team.

The NFL has been grappling with issues surrounding gay athletes — sometimes slowly as compared to the other sports. Chris Kluwe, a former punter for the Minnesota Vikings, said he was pushed out of a job by the team for speaking out on behalf of gay, lesbian and transgender people.

Kerry Rhodes, a former player for the Jets and Arizona Cardinals, has said that rumors he is gay have prevented teams from signing him. He has said he is not gay.

Sam, 24, did not describe himself last night as part of any larger movement. He said he shared his story with his teammates in August, before the start of the season, adding he received nothing but support in return. However, concern that his sexual orientation would emerge led him to speak out Sunday night.

"I was afraid it would leak out, without me owning my truth," he said.

Sam is 6-2, 260 pounds, which in the world of the NFL, makes him smaller than others at the defensive end position. But he has a reputation for finding gaps that help him get to the opposing quarterback. He was the Southeastern Conference's Defensive Player of the Year in 2013, leading the conference with 11.5 sacks.

His Missouri teammates voted him MVP.

Sam said in last night’s interview with ESPN that he and his family in Hitchcock, Texas, had endured one tragedy after another.

An older brother, he said, was shot to death. A sister died as a baby.

Two other brothers have been in and out of jail since eighth grade.

"Telling the world I’m gay is nothing compared to that," he said.

Craig Wolff: cwolff@starledger.com

If I'm a "Woody" (ha) I tell Goodell that if he awards me a 3rd rd., 2- 4th and a 5th rd. compensatory

pick, I'll take the guy with one of the 4th rounders if he's still there.

Goodell would love for this guy to be taken early and end the drama on draft day.

I give the young man credit for letting his teammates know... shows a lot of balls and leadership.

Archived