Johnny Be Not So Good

flgreen

For teams looking for quarterback, passing on Johnny Manziel may be best option

Although Manziel proclaimed Friday that he was 'just looking forward to showing up all the people that say I’m just an improviser' and that his legendary partying days are over, he may simply not be polished enough to be an overnight hit in the NFL. He’s not alone, either.

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 21, 2014, 10:37 PM

Print
SHARE THIS URL:
nfl-combine-football.jpg MICHAEL CONROY/AP  

Johnny Manziel could be enticing for a struggling team, but does he have what it takes to succeed in the NFL?

RELATED STORIES
  •  

INDIANAPOLIS — The geniuses or fools who select Johnny Manziel early in this year’s draft are destined for a decade filled with glory or shame. The lightning-rod Texas A&M quarterback is the ultimate high-risk, high-reward pick, a showman in cleats who will make a team look smart or clueless one day.

“His competitiveness is intriguing,” Jaguars general manager David Caldwell said at the NFL scouting combine.

Desperation may prompt teams to reach for a quarterback like Manziel, a reality in a pass-first league. Louisville’s Teddy Bridgewater, Central Florida’s Blake Bortles and Manziel could be gone in the first five picks of the draft.

Although Manziel proclaimed Friday that he was “just looking forward to showing up all the people that say I’m just an improviser” and that his legendary partying days are over, he may simply not be polished enough to be an overnight hit in the NFL. He’s not alone, either.

“Rookie quarterbacks, as a whole, generally aren’t NFL ready,” Caldwell said. “You get the exceptions like Andrew Luck and Matt Ryan and Peyton Manning, but those are guys that spent four-five years at a university playing in a pro-style offense. That’s not the common thing right away for a rookie to come in and start.”

Plenty of teams have drafted quarterbacks early with the hope of resurrecting the franchise only to set it back even more. Four quarterbacks were selected in the top 12 in 2011. Only Cam Newton, the pick that year by the Panthers, has worked out. The Titans, Jaguars and Vikings whiffed when Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert and Christian Ponder, respectively, didn’t live up to the billing.

Caldwell, whose team has the No. 3 pick this year, is mindful of the recent past and shortcomings on his roster and realizes that none of the top three rated quarterbacks will be a panacea.

“The quarterback for us isn’t the end-all, be-all,” Caldwell said. “That’s not going to cure all of our issues. So we have to identify what we can take care of this year, what we can take care of next year and the following year. Stick to the plan.”

Manziel’s charisma may be hard to pass up for a quarterback-needy franchise. The Texans, who have the No. 1 pick, need an upgrade at the position. The Browns, who have had a revolving door at quarterback for 15 years, could use a dynamic signal-caller at No. 4. The Raiders are in play for a quarterback with the No. 5 pick.

Manziel has generated the type of pre-draft buzz that can be enticing for a struggling franchise.

nfl-combine-football.jpg DAVID J. PHILLIP/ AP PHOTO Johnny Manziel wins a Heisman with Texas A&M but questions surround his height and if his skills would translate in a pro-style offense. 

“You have to be true to your evaluations of the film, the games, the practices, from a physical standpoint and not get caught up with all the buzz about players,” Steelers GM Kevin Colbert said. “A lot of times you’ve got to remove the emotion from all that: the hype. The hype is great. It helps make our game what it is, but when you’re evaluating, you try to remove that emotion and just really make a decision based on how the guy plays football.”

The danger, of course, is picking the wrong guy. The Seahawks and 49ers, arguably the two most complete teams in the league, selected starters Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick in the third and second rounds, respectively.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-johnny-good-article-1.1680307#ixzz2u3w2jBHQ

No, its just a bunch of GM's trying to calm their fan base after they go Ballistic for not drafting this kid.

Good luck in Houston, Cleveland, and Oakland if they pass on this kid. The fan base will never let them forget.

He will be sitting there when the Jets pick.  Book it!!

Story time:

i have been going on Houston AM radio for almost 10 years. 610 AM with John Lopez and Nick. The fans are one of the most informed fan bases in the country. There's like a dozen awesome college football teams within the state borders. One draft day broadcasting from a hooters and the Texans took Brian Cushing. The wing eaters in Houston wanted to know why they didn't take Clay Matthews instead. It was a tough but fair question. 

bottom line, if these folks are cool with Johnny Manziel, (and they seem to be very cool with him) then the franchise would be fools for passing on him.  The ownership has traditionally been not risk takers. 

Yes keep rookie QB's in perspective

“Rookie quarterbacks, as a whole, generally aren’t NFL ready,” Caldwell said. “You get the exceptions like Andrew Luck and Matt Ryan and Peyton Manning, but those are guys that spent four-five years at a university playing in a pro-style offense. That’s not the common thing right away for a rookie to come in and start.”

Are you kidding me?  This piece of brilliant writing let us all know that the pick of Manziel could very well end up being either good or bad.  How can you not love such amazing insight as that?

Hmmm...I never looked at it that way.  So, he could be good or bad, and the team that takes him will be pleased or not pleased, if he turns out to play well or not well, making them look smart or stupid?   I guess I was just being narrow-minded.  Unless you were being sarcastic, Mr. Green.  In which case you were either being honest or not honest, in which case my response is either appropriate or inappropriate depending on whether or not i was matching your sarcasm with my own in a chummy-friendly way, or looking down my nose at you, or being looked at down your nose....   Yesss, its all becoming less simple now.  

The Houston fan base and the Houston football franchise, with all their many rings and earned recognition, can continue to bop their balonies. 

When I heard Jaws on Mike and Mike describe Johnny Football using the word swagger ... I took that as a sign from The Creator to not have another positive thought about him and I haven't.

Methinks the best thing he has gong for him is he went to A&M rather than USC - but his Sunday career has USC bustiod written all over it. 

If he is there when we pick I would be shocked if they don't pull the trigger.

When Geno didn't get picked 1st round, he cried and moped and fired his agent. What will he do if Manziel or any other QB falls to #18 and the Jets draft them?

Make sure no sharp objects or long ropes near Geno if the Jets take a QB at #18.

When Geno didn't get picked 1st round, he cried and moped and fired his agent. What will he do if Manziel or any other QB falls to #18 and the Jets draft them?

Make sure no sharp objects or long ropes near Geno if the Jets take a QB at #18.

Manziel will probably be too drunk to notice with the stripper sitting on his lap and all. 

Isnt it great to be Johnny Jet? Its his world and we are all just hoping to join him.

No doubt to be a Rockstar at 19 winning the Heisman and becoming a household name.  But just like Al Bundy at Polk high nobody cares if you can;t do it at the next level.  Who knows?  In five years Johnny Football could be sitting on his couch hand tucked in his pants after a hard day of selling shoes thinking about the good old days. 

No doubt to be a Rockstar at 19 winning the Heisman and becoming a household name.  But just like Al Bundy at Polk high nobody cares if you can;t do it at the next level.  Who knows?  In five years Johnny Football could be sitting on his couch hand tucked in his pants after a hard day of selling shoes thinking about the good old days. 

Couple observations:

1. I love any Al Bundy reference

2. Actually, I see him more as a Car Salesman

3. His good old days are a lot better than ours I think

4.56 from Johnny

what he lacks in height he makes up for in athleticism. "escapability" (if that is even a word) is what makes him more valuable than the other QB. the ability to make a play in a muddy pocket.

Connor Shaw does the same sh*t

My admittedly uninformed take on Manziel is that he'll be more of a headline whore than Sanchez was if he ends up in NY.  I don't believe for an instant that his 'partying days' are over.  I think they'll just be starting once he lands in his next gig, wherever it is.  I just don't see much chance he'll become the QB this franchise so desperately wants and needs.  If he's there at 18 I will be fervently hoping we call any name but his and let some other team deal with the drama.

My admittedly uninformed take on Manziel is that he'll be more of a headline whore than Sanchez was if he ends up in NY.  I don't believe for an instant that his 'partying days' are over.  I think they'll just be starting once he lands in his next gig, wherever it is.  I just don't see much chance he'll become the QB this franchise so desperately wants and needs.  If he's there at 18 I will be fervently hoping we call any name but his and let some other team deal with the drama.

Just out of curiosity, has any professional athlete ever moved to NY and toned down their partying?? 

No one, and I mean no one partied, Christ, he owned a Bar/Nightclub with the mob, boozed, chased tail, than the one dude that delivered our only world championship.

If Johnny Jet can come here and party his way to what JoeWillie did for us, then let the good times roll. I wonder if Johnny drinks Coor's Light?

Just out of curiosity, has any professional athlete ever moved to NY and toned down their partying?? 

Well that's kind of my point.  Some guys come here and just play football.  You never really read about guys like Curtis Martin, Mangold, Brick or Wilkerson anywhere outside of the sports pages.  But it seems like the guys who make the wrong kind of headlines before the draft tend to stay true to the pattern after they get more publicity and money.  Shocking...I know.

No one, and I mean no one partied, Christ, he owned a Bar/Nightclub with the mob, boozed, chased tail, than the one dude that delivered our only world championship.

If Johnny Jet can come here and party his way to what JoeWillie did for us, then let the good times roll. I wonder if Johnny drinks Coor's Light?

you obviously are referring to Namath.  Different times...different game.  I don't see that working today.  I don't recall reading about Brees, Brady, Manning (either), Rodgers or Wilson being party boys.  You could say Roethlisberger was the exception...maybe Favre but IMO he's not worth the risk at 18.  If he does a Geno-like drop, someone might take that shot and catch lightning but I'm very dubious.

you obviously are referring to Namath.  Different times...different game.  I don't see that working today.  I don't recall reading about Brees, Brady, Manning (either), Rodgers or Wilson being party boys.  You could say Roethlisberger was the exception...maybe Favre but IMO he's not worth the risk at 18.  If he does a Geno-like drop, someone might take that shot and catch lightning but I'm very dubious.

Boy, seriously, TOUGH CALL. If he's there at 18 (which I just cannot fathom), I don't know if I would want to be Idzik at that point. Right now its easy for teams to laugh at Idzik for not passing on GENO, like all the reast did, but if they all pass on this guy and he is the real deal, WOW. Idzik will be praying that Johnny Jet doesn't drop to 18, just like every other GM who has to make that decision.

Well that's kind of my point.  Some guys come here and just play football.  You never really read about guys like Curtis Martin, Mangold, Brick or Wilkerson anywhere outside of the sports pages.  But it seems like the guys who make the wrong kind of headlines before the draft tend to stay true to the pattern after they get more publicity and money.  Shocking...I know.

I wasn't being snarky, I was agreeing with you. I've never heard of a single athlete, especially one known for the limelight, to ever decrease their level of partying once hitting new york. If the kid is living it up in Texas on his family's dime, what's he going to do when he's making his own millions and gets dropped into the busiest city in the world surrounded by some of the best bars, clubs and super models that there are. 

I wasn't being snarky, I was agreeing with you. I've never heard of a single athlete, especially one known for the limelight, to ever decrease their level of partying once hitting new york. If the kid is living it up in Texas on his family's dime, what's he going to do when he's making his own millions and gets dropped into the busiest city in the world surrounded by some of the best bars, clubs and super models that there are. 

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression.  Yes, I think we are in total agreement.  I don't trust the kid.  And you can get away with a lot of stuff in NCAA that you can't in the NFL.  It may take this kid a few years to figure that out because it sounds like he's got a very large sense of entitlement already.

Archived