Reminder: Idzik's philosophy

Integrity28

???

I was giving up on trying to get my point across. You obviously don't give out $5/per and split it up evenly... the exercise was to illustrate that even with a ton of cap space, you can't go snatch up 3-4 high price FAs within the first 24 hours. 

Honestly, if I haven't helped the light go on about this yet, it isn't going to. 

Carry on with your outrage. :)

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The rest of this post will explain what we know about IdziK:

But the good news is that Integrity28 loves when Idzik's plan comes together, at least we have that going for us.

Quality stuff. 

I was giving up on trying to get my point across. You obviously don't give out $5/per and split it up evenly... the exercise was to illustrate that even with a ton of cap space, you can't go snatch up 3-4 high price FAs within the first 24 hours. 

Honestly, if I haven't helped the light go on about this yet, it isn't going to. 

Carry on with your outrage. :)

Gotcha. But you could at least try to get 1 of them couldn't you?

Gotcha. But you could at least try to get 1 of them couldn't you?

None of the receivers have signed yet, other than McCluster - right?

Be patient. Some of these positions need the market set first. Look at CB this year vs. last year. Look at WR last year, we'd better hope that the Mike Wallace contract is looked at as an anomaly. 

Be patient. Some of these positions need the market set first. Look at CB this year vs. last year. Look at WR last year, we'd better hope that the Mike Wallace contract is looked at as an anomaly. 

Fair enough

Reminder: We really don't know jacksh*t about John Idzik just yet.

Correction: we know sufficiently little about Idzik as to permit those who would rather make decisions based on feelings rather than information to insist that any second now he's going to start doing the complete opposite of what he's done so far.

Reminder: We really don't know jacksh*t about John Idzik just yet.

no, we don't. but we starting to see how he operates. we all would like to think he is the guy.but there is zero proof for or against at this point. his first year, he basically used the standard gm play book. he did find one moron of a team in tampa, that really snow balled into good things for the jets. other than that not much. this year he entered free angency with plenty of $$ and plenty of holes to fill. so far he signed a kicker that wasn't going anywhere and lost a starting right tackle. everything that I am hearing about howards deal is that there were only a few dollars difference and possibly no difference at all. if this is true, that's a huge red flag. I could see if there was a significant difference, that remains to be seen.

we have heard that the jets had interest in ward. turns out he signed a pretty team friendly deal in Denver. maybe the jets made a call and ward told him he is not interested,ala, manning. we don't know. but the price was right for a position of need.

we heard that the jets were in negotiations with verner. turns out he signs for a little over 6m per with tampa. reports said the jets weren't even in the ball park. young pro bowl caliber cb, position of need, team friendly deal, and with a worse team than the jets.

we heard the jets were in heavy negotiations with davis. also heard the jets thought they had a deal in place. didn't happen

we heard the jets had interest in asamwauh. young talent at a position of need that signed a decent contract. never heard a word after the initial interest.

there is plenty of $$ left and plenty of talent out there, so I will refrain from passing judgement on idzik, but there are a bunch of red flags that one might consider troubling. he is starting to paint a picture of inexperience and the inability of closing a deal. with plenty more to come as the free agency period is young, we will see

Which part of Idzik's "philosophy" led him to extend a floundering head coach with a one-year contract? The "placate Woody Johnson" part?

I knew as soon as I saw that you responded to the thread, that this was the angle you'd take. So predictable.

it would not take 5 years.

with the bust rate of nfl draft picks,the holes this team has only to be filled with draft picks, the time it takes to develop draft picks, it would take every bit of 5 years and that's if you are good at the draft

Disney-Chicken-Little-Sky-Falling.jpg

If this is how you feel, after less than 24 hours of free agency. Let me remind you of a couple of things:

1. John Idzik is on-record stating that he view free agency as a means of plugging holes, enabling him to take a best player available approach to the draft - rather than forcing him to draft for need
  2. He has shown that when he does use free agency, he is only looking to plug holes for 1-2 seasons. Meaning that the way he is spreading money out in the FA contracts, he is front-loading them so that he can cut guys when they are ready to be replaced by his draft picks after a year or two. Meaning he'll continue to keep the salary cap healthy.
  3. He has shown a clear understanding that teams overpay in the first wave of FA, and despite there being some talented players that align to our needs, the contractual demands they will have do not align with his philosophy for long-term building and success.

If you consider what we know about John Idzik, then you should know to expect him to mostly fill the holes at WR, RT, OG, CB as well as maybe addressing some other key areas of weakness... before the draft. He's just not going to do it during the overpay wave of free agency.

What does this mean? It means we "lose out" on giving gross contracts to mediocre FAs because we "need" them. Perpetual losers waste money right now, and set their teams back. Look what Miami did last year. Even the teams that are going all-in for a championship push, like Denver is doing, are truly setting themselves up for a huge drop-off in 3 years.

nice post

If that's what he wants to do then why keep Rex? It's a 3-4 yr plan right now and Rex cant afford not to make playoffs again. !

Because Rex is on Woody/Tannenbaum.  If he wins great.  If he doesn't then Idzik gets a do over with his own guy.  Either that or he genuinely likes the guy and believes in him.  It is certainly possible that Rex is a good coach and Idzik would know better than us or Mehta. 

Because Rex is on Woody/Tannenbaum.  If he wins great.  If he doesn't then Idzik gets a do over with his own guy.  Either that or he genuinely likes the guy and believes in him.  It is certainly possible that Rex is a good coach and Idzik would know better than us or Mehta. 

There are no do overs in the NFL.  If the Jets crash and burn this season and Rex is fired,  that would mean Idzik pretty much sucked as a GM his first two seasons.   If a new coach comes into town, who would they hire?  Some guy who doesn't care about power?  Most of the good coaches want a say in who they pick, sign and trade for.    Coaches with few options usually just sit back and let the GM do the work.   But Idzik hasn't proved he knows how to build a winning team yet.   

I hope he has a plan and the Jets win and Rex is a part of that.   I don't want to think where this organization is heading if they wind up 4-12 and dump Rex.  It would be far more on Idzik than Rex at that point.

There are no do overs in the NFL.  If the Jets crash and burn this season and Rex is fired,  that would mean Idzik pretty much sucked as a GM his first two seasons.   If a new coach comes into town, who would they hire?  Some guy who doesn't care about power?  Most of the good coaches want a say in who they pick, sign and trade for.    Coaches with few options usually just sit back and let the GM do the work.   But Idzik hasn't proved he knows how to build a winning team yet.   

I hope he has a plan and the Jets win and Rex is a part of that.   I don't want to think where this organization is heading if they wind up 4-12 and dump Rex.  It would be far more on Idzik than Rex at that point.

Disagree strongly.  If the Jets suck he will get at least a chance to hire his own coach.

What "good coach" is going to come?  Power mad coaches that insist on being GM are the norm now?  Sure he isn't going to be able to entice Cowher or Parcells.  Why would he want to?  Ozzie Newsome seems to have done okay over there.  I hope they succeed with Rex too, but if they fail it is going to be pinned on Rex, not Idzik.  

Tate and Sanders gone now. This how you imagined it?

Tate and Sanders gone now. This how you imagined it?

I'm not seeing anything that says Sanders is signed... and yes. I imagined that we wouldn't sign every player that is a free agent in 24 hours, and that the majority of Jets fans would flip out like a fat kid being forced to eat his brussel sprouts.

I'm not seeing anything that says Sanders is signed... and yes. I imagined that we wouldn't sign every player that is a free agent in 24 hours, and that the majority of Jets fans would flip out like a fat kid being forced to eat his brussel sprouts.

Yes, Sanders is going to JAX. Tate to DET.

Again, who cares about time? It's about what's left, not about how long it's been. There's not many impact players left.

Just 2 hours ago you were telling me to relax because the dust had settled and besides, all of the WR's were still available. Well guess what? 2 of the top WR's just got snatched up in the past 2 hours and we still haven't signed so much as a JAG.

Again, who cares about time? It's about what's left, not about how long it's been. There's not many impact players left.

Just 2 hours ago you were telling me to relax because the dust had settled and besides, all of the WR's were still available. Well guess what? 2 of the top WR's just got snatched up in the past 2 hours and we still haven't signed so much as a JAG.

Sanders said he likes the JAX facility. He is not signed. Everything else is you acting like a baby.... LOL leave me alone!!!!

Sanders has been at the Jags facility all day long.

Archived