Reminder: Idzik's philosophy

Integrity28

If we can get 5-6 starters better than last years guys between free agency and the draft we are a 10 win team.

We should be, but some of our starters from last year were so awful that the replacement can be better than last year's and still be awful.  The 80th ranked CB is both awful and also better than the 100th-ranked CB.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're supposed to be thrilled that they're allegedly trying to do something after almost every team has already made a signing, and the Giants have made about 4? That was fine last year. This year, we're top 3 in cap space. Unacceptable.

I think the guy being at our facility, and sitting at the negotiating table, constitutes more than allegedly.  They also made an offer to Howard for more than I think he's worth. One team made an even higher offer and he grabbed it before Oakland had time to think about it further.  The size of the deal from Oakland, compared to the Jets' last offer, has the ring of a Price is Right contestant outbidding the previous high-bid by $1 and winning.

I can't believe I'm sitting here being told by JetNation to stop being so harsh on the Jets. Usually, it's the opposite :tongue:

No, you're basically being told to stop treating day 1 of free agency like it's the next 5 years of free agency combined.

You do realize there are still enough players available, at areas of need on the team, for it to appear as though the Jets had a very busy free agency period, right?

No, you're basically being told to stop treating day 1 of free agency like it's the next 5 years of free agency combined.

You do realize there are still enough players available, at areas of need on the team, for it to appear as though the Jets had a very busy free agency period, right?

Bro. Day 2, bro. Day 2. The agita. /Beningo

I think the guy being at our facility, and sitting at the negotiating table, constitutes more than allegedly.  They also made an offer to Howard for more than I think he's worth. One team made an even higher offer and he grabbed it before Oakland had time to think about it further.  The size of the deal from Oakland, compared to the Jets' last offer, has the ring of a Price is Right contestant outbidding the previous high-bid by $1 and winning.

Who knows where he is because he's not sitting at the negotiating table, his agent is.  He might be there, but at this point it becomes about what his agent thinks he should get paid and what Idzik and the Jets Lawyers think he should get paid.   

Being it's been an all day thing, there is no guarantee they ever come to an agreement.    Teams don't take all day if they see eye to eye or at least are close on a deal.

What was the Jets offer?

Who knows where he is because he's not sitting at the negotiating table, his agent is.  He might be there, but at this point it becomes about what his agent thinks he should get paid and what Idzik and the Jets Lawyers think he should get paid.   

Being it's been an all day thing, there is no guarantee they ever come to an agreement.    Teams don't take all day if they see eye to eye or at least are close on a deal.

Not necessarily. The Jets are the first stop.  He has 2 more scheduled in the next 2 days.  His agent, assuming he's a good one, wants to make sure he doesn't leave any money on the table for his client or he'll have trouble attracting future ones. Likewise, Idzik doesn't want to overpay for a player he could have had for millions less, that could have been used to upgrade or replace someone at another position.

I've negotiated things that took a hell of a lot longer than 1 day, and they ended up getting signed.

Of course there's no guarantee they'll come to an agreement.  That is why a signature is required by both parties.  But if his agent is there and they're keeping the player there it is a better sign than him leaving.

If he doesn't sign he doesn't.  While I'd like them to get him inked, it depends for how much.  And before I get upset about them not signing him (in the event that happens), let's see how much he signs for elsewhere first.

We should be, but some of our starters from last year were so awful that the replacement can be better than last year's and still be awful. The 80th ranked CB is both awful and also better than the 100th-ranked CB.

Improvement is improvement. We can have all pros at every position. If we can build up and get better every year that is okay with me.

Be nice.  However misguided it may seem to some of us who don't agree, he's upset, nothing more.

But your quote is an eye-catcher.  Going to make some of us go back and bring back a bunch of quotes from today.

I've been nice and patient with him all day. I want him to stop nagging at me now. I've asked him nicely a couple times, telling him shut up and man up isn't a big deal after how long this has gone on.

Reminder: We really don't know jacksh*t about John Idzik just yet.

If we pretend we don't know John Idzik, we could still be surprised by a huge signing or something. 

He's always been this same GM. last year and this year. the cap space doesn't matter he's running the team like a small market franchise. 

and it's not necessarily a bad idea. But let's not pretend like we don't have enough evidence on Idzik. Whoever he signs or drafts he wants to do it at value. Someone that should have made more money or been drafted higher. that's who Idzik wants. Bargains. 

This board is filled with clowns who armchair gm because they played two seasons of madden. The fact is we're not two sexy signings away from a superbowl win. You mock Tannenbaum for making all those win now moves and overpaying and then mock the new guy for showing restraint. Revis isn't worth 13/m a year to this team.

This board is filled with clowns who armchair gm because they played two seasons of madden. The fact is we're not two sexy signings away from a superbowl win. You mock Tannenbaum for making all those win now moves and overpaying and then mock the new guy for showing restraint. Revis isn't worth 13/m a year to this team.

Yep. I am loving this.

He made a lot of bad moves, but at the end of the day back to back AFC Championship seasons with a crappy QB is far more than any other Jets GM has done before or after besides the one super they won long before many of us were even around.

http://turnonthejets.com/2014/03/new-york-jets-sign-wr-eric-decker/

The New York Jets have made their first big splash of the John Idzik era by signing Denver Broncos wide receiver Eric Decker. This move provides second year quarterback Geno Smith an immediate upgrade to a pedestrian group of pass catchers. Decker is a better receiver than any player the Jets have ran out at the position in at least the last three years. He is a 26 year old who is entering his prime, has good size at 6 foot 3, 217 pounds and has racked up 33 touchdowns through the first four years of his NFL career.

The contract details are Decker receiving a 5 year contract for 36.25 million dollars with 15 million guaranteed. Considering what many anticipated him receiving on the open market, his production, age and the current state of the Jets wide receivers…that is an excellent contract by John Idzik.

Many question if Decker can produce away from Peyton Manning. However, he scored 8 touchdowns in 2011 with the Jets former Punt Protector throwing him passes. Obviously playing in Denver’s high powered offense the past two seasons helps inflate statistics but that does not mean Decker isn’t a highly talented receiver, who is capable of making plays all over the field, particularly in the redzone. He will provide an immediate and much needed boost to the Jets offense. Do not get wrapped up in “#1 WR” or “#2WR” labels, Decker gives this team a playmaker and movable chess piece for Marty Mornhinweg’s system. You cannot expect an offense or a young quarterback to succeed without starting capable talent at the receiver position.

This signing does not mean the Jets are done adding to the position. Keep an eye on James Jones and Julian Edelman in the coming days, either of whom would further boost the position and allow the Jets to finally have a little depth, as their addition would take pressure off David Nelson and Stephen Hill.

Check back tomorrow for a more in-depth breakdown of Decker’s game.

Archived