cro a gonner

eboozer

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As opposed to fixing things through, what... hanging out with Eric Decker all day?

Sorry, you are right - we should have handed a new contract back to Cromartie.

Better to lock up salary and years on a guy who looked done last year, especially now that the pre-season is over and there's absolutely no chance of us adding more talent to the team.

Overpaying for CBs just might not be something Idzik believes in. Seattle has studs they got in mid-rounds. He opted not to pay Revis, twice, and didn't spend like a drunken fan over the past 48 hours on a CB... my guess is that we can expect some plug-ins, and for him to draft the future of the positions.

So, you look at guys like Jabari Greer, coming of an ACL tear, probably a candidate for a 1-year contract. Or Carlos Rogers, who is late in his career and knows that he's at the point of 1-2 year contracts and team-hopping. Add a couple guys like them, and then draft the future of the position.

It's really not as dramatic as you are making it out to be. Not one team in the NFL has high-profile players and expensive free agents at every positions dude, sometimes you have to plug in some veterans and get whatever they've got left out of them. LOL

Better to pay for a year of service from a guy like Rogers, than to sink multi-years into Cromartie. :)

Not a big deal - the guy was arguably the worst player on the team last year. 

This seems to be what the whiners want to overlook today... it fits the narrative of "we haven't done anything". 

I consider NOT panicking and bringing Cro back addition by subtraction. As I said above, go get a 1 year stop-gap, and draft someone. Brain surgery.

We're going to sign a corner at some point aren't we? I would have to think..

DRC is the last one that stands out to me. Is there anyone else?

I hear that DRC wants real money.  If they were going to spend like that they'd have paid up for Revis or at least Verner. Terrell Brown is out there and Peanut Tillman.  Assante Samuel might not be bad on a cheap one year deal. He'd be a worst case 3rd corner and might have value as a ballhawk long yardage safety - the role I'd have expected Reed to play last season.

Because Idzik may not feel that there is a corner which fits into his long-term plans that is worth throwing money at.  We could have $100 million and it wouldn't change this. Outside of Cromartie, who's play will be the easiest to replace, we haven't lost anyone that our recent signings doesn't make up for or drastically improve.  We signed the best FA available at our most glaring position of need.  The fact that we did that and still have $30 million in cap space, before cutting Mark, should be a good thing.  Maybe Idzik wants to carry some over because he's already planning on resigning Mo Wilk to a deal at the end of the year?  He's got a plan and it doesn't involve spending all the cap just because he has space.

Well, that hip deal may be chronic. That is why he sucked a year or two with the Chargers. 

Here is the list:

Cornerbacks

1. Darrelle Revis (Signed one-year, $12M deal with NE)
2. Brent Grimes (Re-signed four-year, $32M deal with MIA)
3. Aqib Talib (Signed six-year, $57M deal with DEN)
4. Alterraun Verner (Signed four-year, $25.5M deal with TB)
5. Vontae Davis (Re-signed four-year, $39M deal with IND)
6. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
7. Sam Shields (Re-signed four-year, $39M deal with GB)

8. Walter Thurmond III
9. Charles Tillman

10. Antonio Cromartie
11. Tarell Brown
12. Captain Munnerlyn (Signed three-year, $14.25M deal with MIN)

13. DeAngelo Hall (Re-signed four-year, $17M deal with WAS) 

14. Corey Graham (Signed four-year, $16M deal with BUF)
15. Derek Cox (Signed one-year deal with MIN)
16. Chris Cook
17. Terrell Thomas

18. Carlos Rogers

19. Dimitri Patterson
20. Brandon Browner

21. Champ Bailey

22. Asante Samuel

23. Jabari Greer
24. Trumaine McBride (Re-signed two-year, $3.1M deal with NYG)
25. Will Blackmon (Re-signed two-year, $1.875M deal with JAX)

26. Drayton Florence
27. Antoine Cason
28. Rashean Mathis
29. Josh Wilson
30. Tracy Porter (Signed undisclosed deal with WAS)
31. Richard Marshall
32. Nolan Carroll (Signed two-year, $5.2M deal with PHI)
33. Cortland Finnegan
34. E.J. Biggers

35. Brice McCain
36. Quentin Jammer

37. Corey Webster
38. Kelvin Hayden (Re-signed one-year, $840K deal with CHI)

39. Dunta Robinson

40. Mike Jenkins

I don't know what the whining is about. I think there should be at least 1-2 guys that bring enough to the table to help out in Rex's system... especially if the pass rush keeps getting more dominant.

Was very pleasantly pleased with Cro's tenure here, but I'd much rather quit on a guy like him a little too early than too late. In his prime, he got away with sh*t because he's a freak athlete and was able to recover from mistakes. I also don't think the Jets were particularly motivated to bring him back. Jets know what they had in Cromartie and made little effort to bring him back, which is pretty telling.

Was very pleasantly pleased with Cro's tenure here, but I'd much rather quit on a guy like him a little too early than too late. In his prime, he got away with sh*t because he's a freak athlete and was able to recover from mistakes. I also don't think the Jets were particularly motivated to bring him back. Jets know what they had in Cromartie and made little effort to bring him back, which is pretty telling.

A novel thought, huh?

Not a big fan of that list, unless it means we're doing it on the cheap and spending the big bucks on other needs instead.

You were that kid that thought the more your parents spent on you, the more they loved you, weren't you? ;)

Browner to teh Pats.  They aren't getting Brady those receivers, that's for sure.

Pats and Broncos are both building to kill each other... I'll laugh my ass off if neither of them reaches the AFCC game again. Arrogant bastards.

Here is the list:

Cornerbacks

33. Cortland Finnegan

I don't know what the whining is about. I think there should be at least 1-2 guys that bring enough to the table to help out in Rex's system... especially if the pass rush keeps getting more dominant.

Someone said Idzik likes nasty players. This guy is NASTY.

Pats and Broncos are both building to kill each other... I'll laugh my ass off if neither of them reaches the AFCC game again. Arrogant bastards.

Don't see how either of them beats whoever comes out of the NFC regardless...but if you get there you have a chance.  Still...during both of their windows the Seahawks and 49ers should be completely together, still.  

I'd just like to point out something. These are ypg team offense and defense rankings for the regular seasons since Rex has been a coach here...

2009:

Jets Offense Rank:  20

Jets Defense Rank: 1

2010:

Jets Offense Rank:  11

Jets Defense Rank: 3

2011:

Jets Offense Rank:  25

Jets Defense Rank: 5

2012:

Jets Offense Rank:  30

Jets Defense Rank: 8

2013:

Jets Offense Rank: 25

Jets Defense Rank: 11

And yet some of you are somehow convinced that we are in desperate need of a corner in FA more than anything and are luke-warm on signing Decker. I mean seriously, we've fielded top 10 defenses every year except for last year when we were 11th with or without Revis. We've fielded a top 16 offense once during Rex's tenure here just once and have generally been at the bottom of the barrel. Maybe, just maybe, we'd be better off trying to improve our pathetic offensive teams instead of getting incremental returns on our defense.

Someone posted that he wanted at least the money Talib got or something like that.

Offer $8 mil and make the contract stipulate it's a yr. to yr. deal, like Revis so if he feels like retiring, we'll help him out with that.

Sorry, you are right - we should have handed a new contract back to Cromartie.

Better to lock up salary and years on a guy who looked done last year, especially now that the pre-season is over and there's absolutely no chance of us adding more talent to the team.

Overpaying for CBs just might not be something Idzik believes in. Seattle has studs they got in mid-rounds. He opted not to pay Revis, twice, and didn't spend like a drunken fan over the past 48 hours on a CB... my guess is that we can expect some plug-ins, and for him to draft the future of the positions.

So, you look at guys like Jabari Greer, coming of an ACL tear, probably a candidate for a 1-year contract. Or Carlos Rogers, who is late in his career and knows that he's at the point of 1-2 year contracts and team-hopping. Add a couple guys like them, and then draft the future of the position.

It's really not as dramatic as you are making it out to be. Not one team in the NFL has high-profile players and expensive free agents at every positions dude, sometimes you have to plug in some veterans and get whatever they've got left out of them. LOL

Better to pay for a year of service from a guy like Rogers, than to sink multi-years into Cromartie. :)

What you got against drunken fans we are experts at overpaying from paying thousands on PSLs and 11 bucks a beer at snoopy stadium

You have been around here just as long as me, haven't you? So haven't you seen me post before? What you suggest is the opposite of the truth, I'm never with the whiners. So I disagree with Idzik's approach during this off-season and all of the sudden I'm a chronic whiner? LOL

You're not a chronic whiner, you're a perpetual one.

I'd just like to point out something. These are ypg team offense and defense rankings for the regular seasons since Rex has been a coach here...

2009:

Jets Offense Rank:  20

Jets Defense Rank: 1

2010:

Jets Offense Rank:  11

Jets Defense Rank: 3

2011:

Jets Offense Rank:  25

Jets Defense Rank: 5

2012:

Jets Offense Rank:  30

Jets Defense Rank: 8

2013:

Jets Offense Rank: 25

Jets Defense Rank: 11

And yet some of you are somehow convinced that we are in desperate need of a corner in FA more than anything and are luke-warm on signing Decker. I mean seriously, we've fielded top 10 defenses every year except for last year when we were 11th with or without Revis. We've fielded a top 16 offense once during Rex's tenure here just once and have generally been at the bottom of the barrel. Maybe, just maybe, we'd be better off trying to improve our pathetic offensive teams instead of getting incremental returns on our defense.

D ranked 11 in 2013 but the secondary was probably the worst. The D line is what rocked and balanced out that ranking.  We desperately need a top flight corner and a top flight safety and we will be a top 5 D in the NFL.

Offer $8 mil and make the contract stipulate it's a yr. to yr. deal, like Revis so if he feels like retiring, we'll help him out with that.

I was wrong. He was already offered the Talib deal and turned it down. 

But you say we should offer him less than the amount he turned down...and make it a 1 year deal...for a team like the 2014 Jets who aren't in superbowl-or-bust mode...

Compelling.

Cya Cro! Freddy Coupon strikes again!

Kristian Dyer ‏@KristianRDyer 3h

Hearing from a team source that right now, Jets won't try to match current offer from Cardinals for Cromartie. #nyjets

Seriously, you wanted the Jets to re-sign Cromartie? Or do you just want them to burn the cap space for the sake of doing so?

Before the Cardinals contract numbers get released, what do you think he's worth to the Jets? What contract? (how many years, how much per year, how much guaranteed).  I'm curious.

Archived