What would you think if...

MatthewPLP

The Seahawks were the only one that won the Super Bowl last year.  Only a handful of teams are spending serious coin this offseason.  2 of them are the Browns and Raiders.  Are those the organizations we should be following?

Absolutely not, regarding the Raiders & Browns. Boston won a world series based on their own way, does that mean every team can replicate their success? No...Not even close, otherwise, all the teams would be doing it.

The Jets at the very least should have upgraded at cornerback with Verner or Davis by now, the fact that they aren't doing much is rather sign of Idzik is in over his head or he's playing poker by himself. There comes a time when "his way of doing things" is more out of ignorance and he'll only shoot himself in the foot in the long run. Sure, stick to your guns, sign nobody each year because you don't think a player is worth it, that player will find a home and we'll have table scraps.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the Jets won 4 games last year I'd agree...But at 8 wins with an offense that was laughable and 40 mil to spend plus draft, no reason they shouldn't be pushing for it all this year provided they actually plugged up their needs which they clearly are not doing.

Last year was a bit of a mirage.  They won at least two games very late due to penalty luck.  They did not out talent anybody

If we were able to bring in Sanders  or Jones and a blocking TE, and maybe DRC, that would content me, as far as FA is concerned.  I am convinced that they are looking for a good safety in the draft, not just a box guy.  As good as our defense can be, it does not get TOs.  Press corners don't get as many INTs.  We need a safety who can cover and make plays.  Good  3-4 defenses in the past like the Ravens and Steelers, had that element.  Rex's don't.

I agree with every word except DRC, Dont want him.

LOL, I honestly have to keep checking if you've been banned ye  so I know whether or not we need a replacement for the Mock Draft next week. You're  like the prize fighter of the board.  

More like Spider Rico

Every Super Bowl team in the Free Agent era has been built similarly; through the draft, while not overspending in free agency.

You somehow missed the points I made when I said every team builds through the draft. The good teams make moves, the bad ones shop in the fruits and nuts section.

You somehow missed the points I made when I said every team builds through the draft. The good teams make moves, the bad ones shop in the fruits and nuts section.

The Packers haven't made a single big splash free agent signing.  Nor have the 49ers.  Or Seahawks.  They're waiting for the draft. 

The Packers haven't made a single big splash free agent signing.  Nor have the 49ers.  Or Seahawks.  They're waiting for the draft. 

Seattle needs what 2 dudes on Dline and one on Oline ? Yes, when you don't have many needs you can wait on the draft, the jets would need 3 draft classes and maybe even then would still need be missing pieces.

Seattle needs what 2 dudes on Dline and one on Oline ? Yes, when you don't have many needs you can wait on the draft, the jets would need 3 draft classes and maybe even then would still need be missing pieces.

Exactly.  We have more needs than can be filled by 2 or 3 pricey free agents.  So it's better to make smart pickups and look for impact players in the draft.  As you build your roster, the money we saved now will be used to keep around the talent we have, like Muhammad Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson.  Plus, hopefully, our franchise QB (whoever that might be).

I'd say that Idzik isn't going all in for 2014, but is attempting to build a roster to compete for the next five years. He's signing young, young players and ignoring old ones so far.

Untrue. Giacomini is three years OLDER than Howard. It is common knowledge that you TAKE CARE OF YOUR OWN FIRST. Howard was an ascending player while Giacomini is a lesser talent and older. But at least he will make less money.

Exactly.  We have more needs than can be filled by 2 or 3 pricey free agents.  So it's better to make smart pickups and look for impact players in the draft.  As you build your roster, the money we saved now will be used to keep around the talent we have, like Muhammad Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson.  Plus, hopefully, our franchise QB (whoever that might be).

We could plug a few holes without breaking the bank and then use the draft for the other missing parts. Fact is, Idzik isn't really improving the team. Signing 1 wideout is hardly something to write home about.

Untrue. Giacomini is three years OLDER than Howard. It is common knowledge that you TAKE CARE OF YOUR OWN FIRST. Howard was an ascending player while Giacomini is a lesser talent and older. But at least he will make less money.

Howard is not worth what he got by half.

LOL, I honestly have to keep checking if you've been banned ye  so I know whether or not we need a replacement for the Mock Draft next week. You're  like the prize fighter of the board.

Probably smart to have a backup lined up.

It's Sept 2014 and the Jets have 30 Mil in cap space....Hell even 20 mil...

Could it happen? Yep, If they cut Sanchez and their cap will be around 44 Mil as of now.

If that happens, I'll tell Woody and Freddy Coupon to shove their season ticke** up their ass and refuse to pay the licensing fee for seat.

What say you?

Be honest, you walk around wearing a bluetooth headset and use a cell phone holster. 

Name 1.

Well let's see...

XLVIII -- Seattle Seahawks, built through draft

XLVII -- Baltimore Ravens, built through draft

XLVI -- New York Giants, built through draft

XLV -- Green Bay Packers, built through draft

XLIV -- New Orleans Saints, debatable -- biggest piece was a FA (Brees).  Could make an argument this team was built through FA.

XLIII -- Pittsburgh Steelers, built through draft

XLII -- New York Giants, built through draft

XLI -- Indianapolis Colts, built through draft

XL -- Pittsburgh Steelers, built through draft

XXXIX -- New England Patriots, built through draft

XXXVIII -- New England Patriots, built through draft

XXXVII -- Tampa Bay Buccaneers, admittedly I'm a bit foggy on them...but I feel like they were a D built through the draft no?

XXXVI -- New England Patriots, built by Mo Lewis

XXXV -- Baltimore Ravens, built through the draft

XXXIV -- St. Louis Rams, mostly built through draft.  Kurt Warner was no big time FA pickup, Marshall Faulk was traded for.  Their other pieces (Bruce, Holt, Pace, etc) were drafted

XXXIII -- Denver Broncos, built through the draft

XXXII -- Denver Broncos, built through the draft

XXXI -- Green Bay Packers, built through the draft

After that, you get to the Cowboys/NFC ownage for about 10 years.  Regardless, the point stands.

Let's count New Orleans, given that their biggest piece was a big time FA add.  If we concede the St. Louis Rams, ignoring that Faulk was traded for and Warner was signed for nothing originally...that's two.  Three if the Buc's were built through free agency, which I can't remember.  I know the team they beat (a running theme in the list of Super Bowl losers, if you'd like me to post that list), the Raiders, were built through free agency...just don't remember them.

edit: Doing an eyeball test, it looks like the number of Super Bowl losers that built through FA is around 25%.  So, still not all that high TBH.

Well let's see...

XLVIII -- Seattle Seahawks, built through draft

XLVII -- Baltimore Ravens, built through draft

XLVI -- New York Giants, built through draft

XLV -- Green Bay Packers, built through draft

XLIV -- New Orleans Saints, debatable -- biggest piece was a FA (Brees).  Could make an argument this team was built through FA.

XLIII -- Pittsburgh Steelers, built through draft

XLII -- New York Giants, built through draft

XLI -- Indianapolis Colts, built through draft

XL -- Pittsburgh Steelers, built through draft

XXXIX -- New England Patriots, built through draft

XXXVIII -- New England Patriots, built through draft

XXXVII -- Tampa Bay Buccaneers, admittedly I'm a bit foggy on them...but I feel like they were a D built through the draft no?

XXXVI -- New England Patriots, built by Mo Lewis

XXXV -- Baltimore Ravens, built through the draft

XXXIV -- St. Louis Rams, mostly built through draft.  Kurt Warner was no big time FA pickup, Marshall Faulk was traded for.  Their other pieces (Bruce, Holt, Pace, etc) were drafted

XXXIII -- Denver Broncos, built through the draft

XXXII -- Denver Broncos, built through the draft

XXXI -- Green Bay Packers, built through the draft

After that, you get to the Cowboys/NFC ownage for about 10 years.  Regardless, the point stands.

And the thing is, the Saints didn't overpay for Brees.  The rest of their roster was carved out mostly via the draft. 

Draft and SMART signings (with minimal or no overpays).  That's how you build a roster.  Every champion has done it that way. 

Great work, Purple Pirate.

And the thing is, the Saints didn't overpay for Brees.  The rest of their roster was carved out mostly via the draft. 

Draft and SMART signings (with minimal or no overpays).  That's how you build a roster.  Every champion has done it that way. 

Great work, Purple Pirate.

Just doing my part, trolling hard everywhere I go

It's Sept 2014 and the Jets have 30 Mil in cap space....Hell even 20 mil...

Could it happen? Yep, If they cut Sanchez and their cap will be around 44 Mil as of now.

If that happens, I'll tell Woody and Freddy Coupon to shove their season ticke** up their ass and refuse to pay the licensing fee for seat.

What say you?

Ummm... it's not going to happen so I don't have to worry about it. 

Teams are required to spend 89.9% of the salary cap so the most cap room the Jets can have come September is about 13.5 million. :Nuts:

Archived