Drafting a corner in rd 1 again?

joebabyny

I was thinking the exact same thing this morning.  No top-tier guys left in FA with DRC being the closest, and a defensive scheme that relies heavily on man coverage.  I was pretty surprised they didn't ink a CB after letting Cromartie walk without even attempting to re-work his deal.  As good as Milliner looked late in the season, he's still a question mark.  CB in rd. 1 is a pretty good bet at this point, especially if we get Jones and/or Pettigrew.  Lots of talk about how deep this WR class is, so they could be thinking CB in rd. 1, WR in rd. 2.

we are focusing on need but we need to look at who will be available. I've been through these mocks a bazillion times and if they are in anyway accurate, chances are the best available player will be a defender.

Guys like Evans, Watkins should be long gone as will all the 3 top OT, the 3 top QB, Clowney, Mack. that's 10 guys for sure gone. Barr too gone that makes 11. 

Left is Gilbert or Dennard at CB. Pryor or Dix at S. Ford at OLB.  Ealy and Aaron Donald at DT/DE and CJ Mosely at ILB. Ebron may or may not be there. Zack Martin could be in that mix. And Marqise Lee.

That's 11 guys who could be there at 18. 8 are defenders. 

whoever the Jets draft it will be someone who should have gone higher. A value pick. This is looking more and more like a defensive pick just based on the grades. If we want to include other names like Cooks we could also include Roby. Basically it's a ratio that favors defenders no matter how we look at it. 

Called this months ago.

However, I didnt realize at that point my boys from Florida would be getting late 2nd early 3rd round grades.  Roberson, Purifoy, Watkins...all man press physical athletic corners that have played their entire career in an attacking defense that requires them to play a ton of zero coverage.  Total steals in those rounds.

As days go by and free agent dbs keep signing..It's starting to look that way. Even though we all know the first pick needs to be Offensive skill position.

Its not looking that way to me. We can sign a Safety. I dont hear any interest from the Jets in any of the FA Safeties. Granted, Idzik runs a tight lipped ship, but I've heard about the jets interest in Rodgers-Cro as well as another WR. 

IF we go that way then that leaves  FS to be filled, and if Clinton Dix or Pryor is on the board at 18 I can def see them being the "Best available players", unlesss somehow Mike Evans falls to 18. 

Its not looking that way to me. We can sign a Safety. I dont hear any interest from the Jets in any of the FA Safeties. Granted, Idzik runs a tight lipped ship, but I've heard about the jets interest in Rodgers-Cro as well as another WR. 

IF we go that way then that leaves  FS to be filled, and if Clinton Dix or Pryor is on the board at 18 I can def see them being the "Best available players", unlesss somehow Mike Evans falls to 18.

And now I hear today the Jets have interest in DRC. Of course they do. It's a glaring hole and he is the best available press cover cb lol. I honestly cannot tell what they will do next. This Idzik guy is doing it the right way. That's how it's supposed to be.. fans, beat writers, etc are being sent every direction as far as free agency. I'm excited to have someone has thoughtful and dilligent as him as GM. I just hope he is a decent evaluator of talent when the draft arrives.

And now I hear today the Jets have interest in DRC. Of course they do. It's a glaring hole and he is the best available press cover cb lol. I honestly cannot tell what they will do next. This Idzik guy is doing it the right way. That's how it's supposed to be.. fans, beat writers, etc are being sent every direction as far as free agency. I'm excited to have someone has thoughtful and dilligent as him as GM. I just hope he is a decent evaluator of talent when the draft arrives.

I think that Idzik has hired some scouts that can recognize talent. I just heard that the Jets had interviews with Marquees Lee before and after his pro day. This is what im talking about. Idzik for what its worth is covering alot of ground, and thats good to know given that Idzik doesnt seem to over reach for talent. If Marquees Lee is the guy at 18 there are still some FS guys that can be taken in the 2nd. I cant wait to see what Idzik does in his first draft with his people on board for an entire year. 

I think Idzik is going to put talent on this team and will really make Rex Ryan a better coach as well. Im very excited to be a Jet fan right now. I think we're looking at the beginning of some great years to come. 

I think that Idzik has hired some scouts that can recognize talent. I just heard that the Jets had interviews with Marquees Lee before and after his pro day. This is what im talking about. Idzik for what its worth is covering alot of ground, and thats good to know given that Idzik doesnt seem to over reach for talent. If Marquees Lee is the guy at 18 there are still some FS guys that can be taken in the 2nd. I cant wait to see what Idzik does in his first draft with his people on board for an entire year.

I think Idzik is going to put talent on this team and will really make Rex Ryan a better coach as well. Im very excited to be a Jet fan right now. I think we're looking at the beginning of some great years to come.

+1

If Gilbert or Dennard are on the board at 18, that's a no-brainer.  I am telling you guys, Deon Bucannon is the pick at Safety, and we do not burn a first rounder.  Dion Bailey is another good  Safety who should be available in the 3rd or 4th.

If Gilbert or Dennard are on the board at 18, that's a no-brainer.  I am telling you guys, Deon Bucannon is the pick at Safety, and we do not burn a first rounder.  Dion Bailey is another good  Safety who should be available in the 3rd or 4th.

Dude, I believe you. I got Deone Bucannon drafted in every mock draft I did this year. That kid is a monster. The thing is, he's a SS.  I dont care though, this kid needs to be a Jet. 

Archived