Now I'm startin' to get pissed!!

eboozer

I'm lost. I don't get where all this idzik surport is coming from. What has he done? All I know is we have a bunch of holes and just watched all the top guys go to other teams. All I see left is the scraps. Unless our new rookies and gonna play lights out done see how we are competing for a playoff spot with this roster

he hasn't really ****ed up and overpaid for players (so far).  He is building through the draft (so far).  Not many superstars hit free agency.  Revis was one, but Woody is calling the shot on that one.  He mentioned trading Revis before Idzik was hired.   Suppose Revis was to sign that same contract with the Jets.  What then the year after.  When will Revis hold out again?

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm lost. I don't get where all this idzik surport is coming from. What has he done? All I know is we have a bunch of holes and just watched all the top guys go to other teams. All I see left is the scraps. Unless our new rookies and gonna play lights out done see how we are competing for a playoff spot with this roster

We got the top FA, who was also the highest-priced FA, at the position of most obvious need, that rarely yields producers as rookies.

You should watch more closely.

What gets us competing for a playoff spot is getting enormous improvement from the QB, not spending $12M on a 1-year deal for a 3rd CB or $5M/year for a 9.9ypc TE when a (supposedly) dominant one should be within reach in next month's draft.

We got the top FA, who was also the highest-priced FA, at the position of most obvious need, that rarely yields producers as rookies.

What gets us competing for a playoff spot is getting enormous improvement from the QB, not spending $12M on a 1-year deal for a 3rd CB or $5M/year for a 9.9ypc TE when a (supposedly) dominant one should be within reach in next month's draft.

u think we trade up to get Ebron?

1.  Just because "any GM" would have had to deal with that doesn't mean "any GM" would have gotten the deal done.  He got a 1st and 4th rounder out of it, did NOT have to pay Revis $16M, and the Bucs cut Revis 1 year later.  I'd call that "trade-raping."

2.  A GM who listens to his scouts!  This is a novel concept for a Jets GM!  2 years ago, Terry Bradway was SCREAMING for the Jets to take Russell Wilson.  Tannenbaum took Stephen Hill instead.  Guess who got Wilson?  Idzik's Seahawks.  Richardson was arguably the best player in the 2013 draft.  You have absolutely NOTHING to rip him for there.

3.  Idzik was hammered for Dee Milliner.  Not so much after he did the best job any CB had done on Josh Gordon all season long.  Was the Chris Ivory pickup a poor one?  Dude average 4.5 YPC behind an average (or worse) run-blocking line.  Geno was the consensus # 1 rated QB in the draft, and he got him in the 2nd round.  Even if he ends up a bust, it's very difficult to argue that was a poor selection.  If he ends up turning this around, the pick was genius. 

Was Decker a poor signing?  It was rumored he'd be looking to get $10M a year.  Yet he came to the Jets, a run-first team with a questionable QB situation, for just a hair over $7M per.  He was the consensus best receiver available on the market.  A guy who made plays even when Kyle Orton was QB, and even caught 20 passes from TIM TEBOW. 

It's really, really hard to knock the moves Idzik has been making.   

what are u his agent?  so far I think he grades out to be C or D and that is being generous

You know we were 1 win away from the SB twice a few years ago.... I wonder if they did that through the draft or because they signed some much needed help during FA.... Hmmm

You know we were 1 win away from the SB twice a few years ago.... I wonder if they did that through the draft or because they signed some much needed help during FA.... Hmmm

What trophy did we win?  Not to mention, those same signings put us in cap hell from 2011-2013 and got Tannenbaum fired.  That approach simply does not work in the NFL.

we aint contending this year no matter who we sign, aka, no 1 year loaner 12 M to Revis

Correct, except it isn't the people who were here on JN for the Tannenbaum years.  It's all these newcomers who are the one's complaining.  The old guard, for the most part, likes the fact that Idzik has been making very good decisions at every turn.

Spare me the "Holier than Thou" attitude. I've been a Jet fan since 1969. I've done the "blind faith thing"  through more GM's than I can count on both hands. There comes a time when you say "enough" I haven't been asking them to break the bank on Byrd or even Revis.... I would expect an Asamogah or one of the other Guards be swept up at $5 mil/yr.... or Pettigrew at $4 mil or Sproles for a 5th, or Ward with a reasonable cost..... We've got a lot more to offer than Cle. Jaguars, TB etc.

5 years from now you'll be preaching the same tired old line about the "new guys" and how wise you are by not expecting our F.O. to be aggressive like Denver, TB etc.

Spare me the "Holier than Thou" attitude. I've been a Jet fan since 1969. I've done the "blind faith thing"  through more GM's than I can count on both hands. There comes a time when you say "enough" I haven't been asking them to break the bank on Byrd or even Revis.... I would expect an Asamogah or one of the other Guards be swept up at $5 mil/yr.... or Pettigrew at $4 mil or Sproles for a 5th, or Ward with a reasonable cost..... We've got a lot more to offer than Cle. Jaguars, TB etc.

5 years from now you'll be preaching the same tired old line about the "new guys" and how wise you are by not expecting our F.O. to be aggressive like Denver, TB etc.

Tampa was aggressive last offseason too.  Where did that get them?

I think this will end poorly for the Broncos as well.  They're panicking as their window with Peyton Manning closes. 

Also, I'd say signing the best WR in free agency, when WR was our biggest need, qualifies as being plenty "aggressive".  Just because we haven't loaded up on pricey free agents like the Browns and Raiders doesn't mean we're doing things the wrong way.

You want Idzik to be more like Tannenbaum, but that's exactly how we got into a mess the last 3 years.  It does nothing but create more problems.

Relax.  We have 12 draft picks this year.  Plenty of time left in this offseason for us to build our roster.

They didn't build the team in FA. After the majority of the roster was in place, plugged holes at NT (even though he wasn't there for the playoff run), LG, WR, ILB, and RT. And did so after saving up enough cap space to do so.

Lots of those same moves - using up lots of resources on only a handful of players - ended up being the team's undoing and eventual collapse.

To do that, I think we'd be better served seeing how much last year's draft class progresses further (particularly Geno and Winters, who had bad rookie seasons), as well as who we get this year.

Build through the draft. Plug the last holes in FA.  If there are multiple holes at the same position - like WR for us - then sign at least one sure thing; finding a good one who produces immediately is hard enough without needing to find two.

The course of action you're outlining is the one that got the last GM fired and has kept Washington out of contention.

Only thing worrying me a little bit about the Wizard of Id is Pettigrew, Jones, rumors around at least one other done deal falling apart last minute. Can the Id close ? Sometimes it's tough for new guys to pull the trigger on a close. Let's see what the next week brings. Some decent guys left a TE, G, CB, WR for a total of $10m would be ok.

First off, keep politics off the board.

Second, however long you or anyone has personally been waiting does not mean that a SB can be bought in an offseason where the team still has probably 10 positions that need filling or upgrading.

The resources to do that are going to be gone after filling 3 of them if we follow the path the complainers are prescribing.

WINNER!!!!!!

If you Want to make a reasonable non NFL comparison for Idzik then look for early shades of Lou Lamoriello of the NJ Devils, architect of the most successful hockey team in the last 20 years and arguably the greatest GM in the history of hockey. Lou's approach is basically "nobody holds the team hostage", build out a strong farm system (ie draft), and fill seasonal holes in free agency.

OK so you may have stopped at point 1, because Eric Decker is getting 7mm/5yrs with 25 or something guaranteed. Not so fast. Eric Decker's cap hit is 4mm in year 1, 6mm in year 2, and 8mm in year three. I admit that I don't know what his dead money is if cut, but let that sink in for a second. Eric Decker can potentially be off the books before year 3 on a five year deal.

He just swapped Austin Howard out for a cheaper, higher rated alternative purely on the basis of principal. Would it have been heart warming And great press to pay Howard more than he's worth? Of course. But realize that Giacomino is not only better but comes cheaper and realize the implications that forcing guys to earn their paycheck here are going to have.

The media clearly has no idea what the hell is going on in Florham Park. Just yesterday Manish was reporting that Pettigrew was all but on the dotted line. They said Revis and the Jets were talking and basically admitted that a source was a low level staffer who saw someone get a text from camp Revis. Idzik makes you earn the privilege of being in the know.

There are 100 cornerbacks in the NFL. Get used to the fact that other areas of the team are going to have to pick up their end of the slack if we replace Cromartie with someone reasonable.

It's not a lot to go on, but its being played perfectly up to this point. I have never been as confident in the front office as I have been at this point.

They didn't build the team in FA. After the majority of the roster was in place, plugged holes at NT (even though he wasn't there for the playoff run), LG, WR, ILB, and RT. And did so after saving up enough cap space to do so.

Lots of those same moves - using up lots of resources on only a handful of players - ended up being the team's undoing and eventual collapse.

To do that, I think we'd be better served seeing how much last year's draft class progresses further (particularly Geno and Winters, who had bad rookie seasons), as well as who we get this year.

Build through the draft. Plug the last holes in FA.  If there are multiple holes at the same position - like WR for us - then sign at least one sure thing; finding a good one who produces immediately is hard enough without needing to find two.

The course of action you're outlining is the one that got the last GM fired and has kept Washington out of contention.

Those teams had FA such as Thomas, LT, Pace, Faneca, Bart Scott, Leonard, Kris Jenkins, Cromartie to name a few......   Can you see Freddy Coupon signing any players like this? I don't think so... Not from what I seen so far..

Tampa was aggressive last offseason too.  Where did that get them?

I think this will end poorly for the Broncos as well.  They're panicking as their window with Peyton Manning closes. 

Also, I'd say signing the best WR in free agency, when WR was our biggest need, qualifies as being plenty "aggressive".  Just because we haven't loaded up on pricey free agents like the Browns and Raiders doesn't mean we're doing things the wrong way.

You want Idzik to be more like Tannenbaum, but that's exactly how we got into a mess the last 3 years.  It does nothing but create more problems.

Relax.  We have 12 draft picks this year.  Plenty of time left in this offseason for us to build our roster.

8 of those picks are after round 4

Those teams had FA such as Thomas, LT, Pace, Faneca, Bart Scott, Leonard, Kris Jenkins, Cromartie to name a few...... Can you see Freddy Coupon signing any players like this? I don't think so... Not from what I seen so far..

And here we are two lost championships later on roster anemia because we had no depth in 2012&2013, from cap hell. Excellent analysis Mr CEO. So glad to have your spam in my face every morning while your free agency jitters find themselves on JN

And here we are two lost championships later on roster anemia because we had no depth in 2012&2013, from cap hell. Excellent analysis Mr CEO. So glad to have your spam in my face every morning while your free agency jitters find themselves on JN

Nobody told Tbum to sign Sanchez and Holmes to outrageous contracts...

you said you would've taken either of these guys. i guess idzik didn't get the memo that 3 FA signings by day 2 wasn't enough, because you expected 4.

If you Want to make a reasonable non NFL comparison for Idzik then look for early shades of Lou Lamoriello of the NJ Devils, architect of the most successful hockey team in the last 20 years and arguably the greatest GM in the history of hockey. Lou's approach is basically "nobody holds the team hostage", build out a strong farm system (ie draft), and fill seasonal holes in free agency.

OK so you may have stopped at point 1, because Eric Decker is getting 7mm/5yrs with 25 or something guaranteed. Not so fast. Eric Decker's cap hit is 4mm in year 1, 6mm in year 2, and 8mm in year three. I admit that I don't know what his dead money is if cut, but let that sink in for a second. Eric Decker can potentially be off the books before year 3 on a five year deal.

He just swapped Austin Howard out for a cheaper, higher rated alternative purely on the basis of principal. Would it have been heart warming And great press to pay Howard more than he's worth? Of course. But realize that Giacomino is not only better but comes cheaper and realize the implications that forcing guys to earn their paycheck here are going to have.

The media clearly has no idea what the hell is going on in Florham Park. Just yesterday Manish was reporting that Pettigrew was all but on the dotted line. They said Revis and the Jets were talking and basically admitted that a source was a low level staffer who saw someone get a text from camp Revis. Idzik makes you earn the privilege of being in the know.

There are 100 cornerbacks in the NFL. Get used to the fact that other areas of the team are going to have to pick up their end of the slack if we replace Cromartie with someone reasonable.

It's not a lot to go on, but its being played perfectly up to this point. I have never been as confident in the front office as I have been at this point.

completely agree,..nice job.

Archived