OG Dakota Dozier

AFJF

Been way too busy to do a lot of draft "homework" this year, but took a bit of time to read up on some prospects today.  This blurb about Furman OG Dakota Dozier on CBSSports.com caught my eye.

COMPARES TO: Jonathan Cooper, Guard, Arizona Cardinals - Dozier's "plus" athleticism and movement skills are extremely impressive for a big man, and may remind some of last year's seventh overall pick Jonathan Cooper. Dozier's limited experience against high-level competition and very recent conversion to guard (Shrine Game) certainly differentiate him from Cooper in terms of draft value, but his upside could be massive and it wouldn't be surprising to see him gone by the end of round three.

Player Overview

An Associated Press FCS First Team All-American selection in 2013 and a unanimous three-time all-league selection in his career at Furman, Dozier started 44 of the 45 games he played in and paved the way for three consecutive 1,000-yard rushers from 2011 to 2013, and served as the team captain as a senior.

Dozier's athleticism and movement skills are some of the most impressive in this year's class of O-linemen, but he has some room to grow in terms of technique and will need to be prepared to play with better physicality if he's to have an immediate impact at the next level.

Legit prospect, or Vlad 2.0?

As long as we don't take him in the 2nd round he's not.  We took a project guard, William Campbell, in the 6th round last year.  Where is Dozier projected to go?

As an aside, Dakota Dozier is a SWEET name.

Write up says he may  go at the end of 3.

As long as we don't take him in the 2nd round he's not.  We took a project guard, William Campbell, in the 6th round last year.  Where is Dozier projected to go?

As an aside, Dakota Dozier is a SWEET name.

If his nickname isn't "Bull" then he is not worth taking. IMHO

Ya'll tripping, Winters is going to make huge strides this year.  They'll resign Colon and the OLine will be beast mode.

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing Winters get another shot.  He did make some strides as a rook, and Colon may very well come back and start.  That being said, we should be grabbing at least one OG in the draft.

Ya'll tripping, Winters is going to make huge strides this year.  They'll resign Colon and the OLine will be beast mode.

Still need to draft another G to groom for future. And what if Winters doesn't make strides? Another year of seeing him get biatched slapped all  over the place.

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing Winters get another shot.  He did make some strides as a rook, and Colon may very well come back and start.  That being said, we should be grabbing at least one OG in the draft.

Still need to draft another G to groom for future. And what if Winters doesn't make strides? Another year of seeing him get biatched slapped all  over the place.

Depth is always needed but I'm not going and spending high picks with a team as desperate for talent as the Jets on an interior lineman.  Sorry.  Its stupid.  Cooper (being injured) and Warmack really were huge dissapointments as top 10 picks, we got just as much out of Winters as the the Titans did out of Warmack (the most pro ready G the league has ever seen, lulz).  Just flat out stupid thing to do, but sure, you want to grab a guy in the 6th or the 7th like they did last year, I'm no board...but I'm not taking a G in the first 4 rounds...no F'ing way. 

AColon is gonna be 31 next month and is not the long-term solution for our guard problems. Using a 3rd or 4th rounder on someone who could either beat out Colon or take over from him after the year is a pretty solid move. That saves you from having to spend in FA to find one next year or having to use a draft pick to select one. It also gives you a year to evaluate and see if another pick is necessary.  These are the moves championship teams make, having  a player on the roster that's ready to take over for the aging vets.

Winters is doing more than just getting another shot.  It appears they are handing him the LG spot.  

AColon is gonna be 31 next month and is not the long-term solution for our guard problems. Using a 3rd or 4th rounder on someone who could either beat out Colon or take over from him after the year is a pretty solid move. That saves you from having to spend in FA to find one next year or having to use a draft pick to select one. It also gives you a year to evaluate and see if another pick is necessary.  These are the moves championship teams make, having  a player on the roster that's ready to take over for the aging vets.

You mean the moves that this board, the press and our fanbase will bitch and moan about until we can't stand it anymore?

You mean the moves that this board, the press and our fanbase will bitch and moan about until we can't stand it anymore?

Seeing as how that happens in response to just about every move, I'm going to say that's a safe assumption. Who knows, maybe this is the one pick we all, finally, unanimously agree on. All joking aside, Dozier wasn't someone I knew anything about until I started to play that fake draft game and after selecting him about 10 times I decided to see who he actually was.  Left tackle his whole career, made the transition pretty seamlessly at the shrine game and seems like a really interesting prospect. 

If his nickname isn't "Bull" then he is not worth taking. IMHO

Exactly, no way his nickname isn't already "Bull-Dozier", too easy really.

Looked up a scouting report and the first thing I noticed was that his twitter was in fact BullDozier78  (sweet jesus I hope he's not related to JW78). So there you go Crush, I think you found your knew favey. 

Depth is always needed but I'm not going and spending high picks with a team as desperate for talent as the Jets on an interior lineman.  Sorry.  Its stupid.  Cooper (being injured) and Warmack really were huge dissapointments as top 10 picks, we got just as much out of Winters as the the Titans did out of Warmack (the most pro ready G the league has ever seen, lulz).  Just flat out stupid thing to do, but sure, you want to grab a guy in the 6th or the 7th like they did last year, I'm no board...but I'm not taking a G in the first 4 rounds...no F'ing way. 

If they like what they see in the guy, I wouldn't mind seeing him taken with our first 4th rd. pick if he's still there.

I see the Jets drafting a tackle before guard this season. They already 4 giards in Colon, Winters, Campbell and Ijalana. At tackle they have Brick, Breno (forgot new guys name sorry) and Oboushi. In my eyes we have more talent inside then out.

I see the Jets drafting a tackle before guard this season. They already 4 giards in Colon, Winters, Campbell and Ijalana. At tackle they have Brick, Breno (forgot new guys name sorry) and Oboushi. In my eyes we have more talent inside then out.

Wasn't Ijalana was working at T for almost all of 2013?  I know I saw a reference that PFF had him ranked very highly during the preseason at T.

But he could be locked up, if desired, relatively easily.  He's a 31 year-old guard, not a 35 year-old CB.  I'd like to upgrade, ideally, but he can play another 3-6 years.

Wasn't Ijalana was working at T for almost all of 2013? I know I saw a reference that PFF had him ranked very highly during the preseason at T.

He may have, but I seem to remember him being drafted as a guard.

He may have, but I seem to remember him being drafted as a guard.

Ijalana has mostly been listed as a G/T, but my understanding was that he was playing mostly T with the Colts when we picked him up and with us after arriving.  He might have a shot when you consider that the main reason he was cut is that he had been crazy injury prone with the Colts.    Another Jersey guy - they do seem to pick up a ton of locals since Idzik arrived.

Hoping Campbell turns up big this camp....obviously a very good athlete for his size. Be nice if he became our next Brandon Moore.

Aboushi is god awful.

Yeah.  Campbell being a project was no surprise, but Aboushi being that bad?  Interesting they seemed so far off with him.  I'd like to see how he looks this year.  He just looked weak.  I'm not holding out much hope. 

But he could be locked up, if desired, relatively easily.  He's a 31 year-old guard, not a 35 year-old CB.  I'd like to upgrade, ideally, but he can play another 3-6 years.

That's true. An upgrade would be ideal, but barring injury, Colon could probably maintain that level of play for a while.

Ijalana has mostly been listed as a G/T, but my understanding was that he was playing mostly T with the Colts when we picked him up and with us after arriving.  He might have a shot when you consider that the main reason he was cut is that he had been crazy injury prone with the Colts.    Another Jersey guy - they do seem to pick up a ton of locals since Idzik arrived.

Yeah.  Campbell being a project was no surprise, but Aboushi being that bad?  Interesting they seemed so far off with him.  I'd like to see how he looks this year.  He just looked weak.  I'm not holding out much hope. 

Weak + slow footed. 

• 1 month later...

Great name for a OG.

Change "a OG" to "an interior OL" and that was my first thought. 

Legit prospect for the OP's question. I'm thinking he's going to be groomed to replace Mangold, but he has an outside shot of contributing as a rookie. 

Archived