Rex said Jalen Saunders had a seizure last week

Maxman

Idzik ruined ylekram's life!!!!!!!!!

nice try. I am not an idzik hater. more of a "know it all, arm chair expert, you don't know sh*t,so stop your whinning" hater. I let it be known right from the start that I was unhappy with what idzik did in regards to the corner back and oline situation. I was told to stfu,stop my whinning, and I don't know sh*t. so far idziks moves are proving my case in regards to the corner position. the oline remains to be seen. I like idzik,I don't want him fired and have never said as such. I have said all along that rookie gm's make rookie mistakes and hopefully he learns from them. I am just not ready to fellatiate idzik, like some of the "experts" on this board do, especially when he is 100% responsible for the train wreck that is our corner back situation. that's my stance. it hasn't changed and unless the corner position magically works itself out, it wont change

I dunno what Saunders has done to deserve a roster spot on the final 53. He has had a quiet training camp even before his medical incident. The only reason he is still in the hunt is because he was drafted in the 4th round.  And then again he did not deserve a 4th round pick.

So what we have is a guy who is under sized, has had a subpar camp even before his medical issues, whoi at best is a 5th or 6th round talent, who might have none to very limited impact on the field except maybe fielding punt returns where he still has not shown much promise so far getting a roster spot over someone who has worked their butt off and are having a stellar training camp like Salas or even Gates. So much for competition mantra that is being preached. It would utter travesty if Saunders makes the team.

Tough to disagree with this.

nice try. I am not an idzik hater. more of a "know it all, arm chair expert, you don't know sh*t,so stop your whinning" hater. I let it be known right from the start that I was unhappy with what idzik did in regards to the corner back and oline situation. I was told to stfu,stop my whinning, and I don't know sh*t. so far idziks moves are proving my case in regards to the corner position. the oline remains to be seen. I like idzik,I don't want him fired and have never said as such. I have said all along that rookie gm's make rookie mistakes and hopefully he learns from them. I am just not ready to fellatiate idzik, like some of the "experts" on this board do, especially when he is 100% responsible for the train wreck that is our corner back situation. that's my stance. it hasn't changed and unless the corner position magically works itself out, it wont change

PREACH!!!!!!!

I dunno what Saunders has done to deserve a roster spot on the final 53. He has had a quiet training camp even before his medical incident. The only reason he is still in the hunt is because he was drafted in the 4th round.  And then again he did not deserve a 4th round pick.

So what we have is a guy who is under sized, has had a subpar camp even before his medical issues, whoi at best is a 5th or 6th round talent, who might have none to very limited impact on the field except maybe fielding punt returns where he still has not shown much promise so far getting a roster spot over someone who has worked their butt off and are having a stellar training camp like Salas or even Gates. So much for competition mantra that is being preached. It would utter travesty if Saunders makes the team.

Fair, but pretty much the only reason Hill is on the team is because he was over-drafted in the 2nd round himself. Three drafts ago. If Hill was at all important on our special teams unit it would be easier to swallow. Backup WRs (#4 and lower) play special teams unless there's some other role they fill (sub in at QB in wildcat, hands unit for onside kicks, hell even play emergency DB). Hill has height and speed and frankly nothing else on the field, whatever he's theoretically capable of once in a while or in practice. 

In other words, he hasn't earned a roster spot any more than Saunders. And it's pretty common to go with the guy who has a clean slate (OK, cleanER slate, if one dismisses the seizure from less than a week ago).  At this point, Saunders could fill multiple smaller roles, even if none of them scream out "potential standout #1 WR" or even close.  Hill isn't any closer to fulfilling that hope than the day he was drafted. Actually, less so because we've seen 2 seasons of mostly-failure. Clearly, having 2012 Sanchez and 2013 Geno as his only QBs in games that counted, didn't help Hill's cause any. But more than just his roster spot should be all but locked up by now. There's a gaping vacancy of a starting job just screaming for a guy with his (on-paper) skill set.

Unfortunately, other than 2nd round investment he hasn't shown he's more worthy of a roster spat than Chaz Schilens (very tall, very fast, and sucks). At least Saunders will keep Kerley off the field on punt returns. That alone is worth a roster spot on a team that will likely carry at least 6 WRs. Since they're keeping Hakim for KOs (which isn't as valuable anymore anyhow) it's clear they value return guys enough to warrant roster spots just for them. 

Hard to say between him and Nelson. It's tough to justify both of them. Both have great size for the position. Nelson brings experience and more stability and more reliable hands; Hill brings speed and far more upside. Do you think either one could or will lock up a roster spot in a 4th preseason game (after all this time with the team will it really come down to this one preseason game)? Personally I think that's less likely, unless one happens to get injured and make the decision for them. The big concern is if he's open, and Smith won't throw it to him because he thinks he'll just drop it, then Hill can't be on the field.

An utter travesty? Really?

My feeling is that the Jets see him as a punt returner today, and a potential Kerley replacement next year if by some freakish circumstance there's another team who's willing to pay more for him than Idzik is. Kid looks like a tough and potentially exciting player. He's also a lock (barring injury or another seizure) to make the team, so prepare for the travesty.

It seems to me, still, that most of the willingness to fellate is based on some future thing Idzik is going to do, rather than on what he's already done. His biggest fans talk about how he's going to spend money when he believes the QB job is settled, or he believes the team is close to contending. But that's really just speculation. We have no real evidence that that's the case. I think we're lucky Decker didn't wind up costing as much as was originally speculated, because there's no way Idzik would've landed him otherwise. So far, he's been unable to do a draft day trade, despite reports that he tried a number of times. Somehow he's going to be able to trade up for the right QB if there's one there next year? I find that hard to believe, yet, it's believed around here.

I do believe he's done a lot to improve the depth on the overall roster, but like you say (and I have said), the CB situation is a nightmare.

Fair, but pretty much the only reason Hill is on the team is because he was over-drafted in the 2nd round himself. Three drafts ago. If Hill was at all important on our special teams unit it would be easier to swallow. Backup WRs (#4 and lower) play special teams unless there's some other role they fill (sub in at QB in wildcat, hands unit for onside kicks, hell even play emergency DB). Hill has height and speed and frankly nothing else on the field, whatever he's theoretically capable of once in a while or in practice. 

In other words, he hasn't earned a roster spot any more than Saunders. And it's pretty common to go with the guy who has a clean slate (OK, cleanER slate, if one dismisses the seizure from less than a week ago).  At this point, Saunders could fill multiple smaller roles, even if none of them scream out "potential standout #1 WR" or even close.  Hill isn't any closer to fulfilling that hope than the day he was drafted. Actually, less so because we've seen 2 seasons of mostly-failure. Clearly, having 2012 Sanchez and 2013 Geno as his only QBs in games that counted, didn't help Hill's cause any. But more than just his roster spot should be all but locked up by now. There's a gaping vacancy of a starting job just screaming for a guy with his (on-paper) skill set.

Unfortunately, other than 2nd round investment he hasn't shown he's more worthy of a roster spat than Chaz Schilens (very tall, very fast, and sucks). At least Saunders will keep Kerley off the field on punt returns. That alone is worth a roster spot on a team that will likely carry at least 6 WRs. Since they're keeping Hakim for KOs (which isn't as valuable anymore anyhow) it's clear they value return guys enough to warrant roster spots just for them. 

Hard to say between him and Nelson. It's tough to justify both of them. Both have great size for the position. Nelson brings experience and more stability and more reliable hands; Hill brings speed and far more upside. Do you think either one could or will lock up a roster spot in a 4th preseason game (after all this time with the team will it really come down to this one preseason game)? Personally I think that's less likely, unless one happens to get injured and make the decision for them. The big concern is if he's open, and Smith won't throw it to him because he thinks he'll just drop it, then Hill can't be on the field.

Wow you started with on the Saunders Boulevard which looked promising and soothing ride till you took a sudden turn to Schilens Lane. Didn't see that coming. What a ugly place to be. No JETS fan ever wants to go there.

I do want the Top 4 WR's picked on this team to be based purely on their receiving skills and upside. The little things, the return guys should come after that. Infact its a luxury to carry two return guys if a team only picks 6 WR's.

Based on that the guys the top 4 should be Decker, Kerley, Nelson, Hill. I think i read yesterday that the first 3 out of 4 have already being confirmed as having made it on the team. I like the Idzik/Rex plan to ensure Hill gets the message that his place cannot be taken for granted. But to dump him outright would be foolish at this stage. The JETS have to let him play out his contract at the rookie salary he is making. That would be the most logical thing to do.

An utter travesty? Really?

My feeling is that the Jets see him as a punt returner today, and a potential Kerley replacement next year if by some freakish circumstance there's another team who's willing to pay more for him than Idzik is. Kid looks like a tough and potentially exciting player. He's also a lock (barring injury or another seizure) to make the team, so prepare for the travesty.

What has he shown as a punt returner ? Maybe the 4th pre season game shows us more.

But in the here and now what has he shown. On punt return ? Not much. On being an effective slot guy like Kerley ? Nothing.

He is lock to make the team because he was drafted in the 4th round. That's his only qualification. Which as i was saying flies in the face of competition mantra.

What has he shown as a punt returner ? Maybe the 4th pre season game shows us more.

But in the here and now what has he shown. On punt return ? Not much. On being an effective slot guy like Kerley ? Nothing.

He is lock to make the team because he was drafted in the 4th round. That's his only qualification. Which as i was saying flies in the face of competition mantra.

Actually, you said it would be an utter travesty. I disagree with that assessment. We really don't know what they've seen from him in practice, either. Even based on what we've seen so far, banking on the potential of Saunders over what either of the veterans Nelson or Hill have produced this summer isn't that great a leap. Certainly no travesty. I'd be more upset if Salas was left off the roster for those three guys.

And punt returner is a big job. If it's not Saunders back there it's Kerley fair catching it. At this point, Kerley has probably become to valuable on offense to risk him out there on the punt return team.

Actually, you said it would be an utter travesty. I disagree with that assessment. We really don't know what they've seen from him in practice, either. Even based on what we've seen so far, banking on the potential of Saunders over what either of the veterans Nelson or Hill have produced this summer isn't that great a leap. Certainly no travesty. I'd be more upset if Salas was left off the roster for those three guys.

And punt returner is a big job. If it's not Saunders back there it's Kerley fair catching it. At this point, Kerley has probably become to valuable on offense to risk him out there on the punt return team.

You can call its utter traversty or completely wrong or anything else. But seems there are guys who have been got in more work during the training camp than Saunders has atleast based on whatever inputs we have or heard all of last month. One cannot deny the certainty most people have of him getting a spot is based on his pedigree and not performance.

Returning is a big job but carrying two return guys (assuming Haakim also makes it) is a huge luxury if those guys are contributing next to nothing on the receiving end.

Wow you started with on the Saunders Boulevard which looked promising and soothing ride till you took a sudden turn to Schilens Lane. Didn't see that coming. What a ugly place to be. No JETS fan ever wants to go there.

I do want the Top 4 WR's picked on this team to be based purely on their receiving skills and upside. The little things, the return guys should come after that. Infact its a luxury to carry two return guys if a team only picks 6 WR's.

Based on that the guys the top 4 should be Decker, Kerley, Nelson, Hill. I think i read yesterday that the first 3 out of 4 have already being confirmed as having made it on the team. I like the Idzik/Rex plan to ensure Hill gets the message that his place cannot be taken for granted. But to dump him outright would be foolish at this stage. The JETS have to let him play out his contract at the rookie salary he is making. That would be the most logical thing to do.

lol. I thought Schilens was a good analogy. Sorry.

I don't have a strong feeling on Hill one way or the other. I'm not impressed with what I've seen so far, but allow that the coaches have seen more than I have.

KR? Meh. Even if catching it is botched, as likely or not it'll be in the endzone for a touchback. Plus you can do a touchback on almost every KO you want. So I agree on the KR guy being less important.

But PR, to me, is important. I don't want to see Kerley out there again. That, and he fair catches a lot (which is actually fine with me if he's the one doing the returning). And PR guys who actually do returns do get hurt, concussed, etc. after they get clocked <0.1 seconds after catching it.

The top 4 guys being purely WRs I don't 100% agree with. The top 3 guys, yes definitely. But #5 is often a special teams gunner or returner on lots of teams. #4 can go either way. On a team with a TE or two, the #4 WR doesn't have to be just a receiver. I'm ok with it as a guy who rotates all over the place, like Saunders would theoretically do. Or like Brad Smith did. With 2 TEs that are faster, pure pass-catcher types (like Amaro & Cumberland) we can go 5 wide without 2 of them technically being WRs. Can do it with a RB also.  We don't need 5 dedicated WR-only guys, and probably not 4. 

PR should have been addressed via FA considering the options available and considering how important it was for us to address apparently.

Would have preferred a traditional WR like Ellington with upside where we took Saunders.

How is Ellington a traditional WR?  He's basically the exact same player as Saunders at 5'9, just with more weight on him and not as productive in college. 

I was surprised they passed on Martavis Bryant, especially with the Rex/Clemson connection and to a lesser extent Norwood out of Bama.  But the reality is for all the complaining everyone is doing about the Saunders and Evans picks, I highly doubt they missed out some WR gem selected later in the draft.  Maybe, but not likely.  

You can call its utter traversty or completely wrong or anything else. But seems there are guys who have been got in more work during the training camp than Saunders has atleast based on whatever inputs we have or heard all of last month. One cannot deny the certainty most people have of him getting a spot is based on his pedigree and not performance.

Returning is a big job but carrying two return guys (assuming Haakim also makes it) is a huge luxury if those guys are contributing next to nothing on the receiving end.

I'd think Haakim has the KOR job because they also think he has potential as a deep ball threat as the #2 or #4 receiver. Just like they see Saunders as a potential slot receiver. There's something to be said for potential. Especially if they've come to the conclusion that they've already seen the best of Hill or Nelson.

I'd think Haakim has the KOR job because they also think he has potential as a deep ball threat as the #2 or #4 receiver. Just like they see Saunders as a potential slot receiver. There's something to be said for potential. Especially if they've come to the conclusion that they've already seen the best of Hill or Nelson.

Potential is good. But i have not seen or heard any evidence of that from Saunders after they put the pads on in training camp. This was before his medial incident. He was having a quiet camp.

I think i heard Rex in the presser yesterday say Decker, Kerley and Nelson were surefire to make the squad.

Archived