Patriots' Draft - What Scenarios Do You NOT Want To Happen?

I don't want to see them take Jayden Daniels and, tbh, I'm kind of worried about them getting JJ McCarthy.  Them getting another smart Michigan QB with a strong arm gives me PTSD.

Let them overdraft a crappy QB for once and set their franchise back ~5 years.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't want to see them take Jayden Daniels and, tbh, I'm kind of worried about them getting JJ McCarthy.  Them getting another smart Michigan QB with a strong arm gives me PTSD.

I agree. I know some here think Daniels will bust but I think he has sky high potential and will be more NFL ready than people think. He needs good coaching, but so does any QB prospect that isn't like an Andrew Luck. 

I'm not scared of McCarthy. I'm not really scared of Maye either, I think he has an intriguing profile but I don't think he'll jump out to a quick start. I am a little worried the Pats are smart and let Brissett start a year while Maye learns - that's the scariest realistic scenario to me. However, I'm not so sure this Patriots staff is truly ready to develop QB under Mayo (and many Belichik holdovers). In my ideal world, they do draft McCarthy, who I think has very limited upside, or draft Maye and rush him in.

The only thing I want is for them to take a crappy QB. If I were them, I’d probably take my best offer to trade down, but I don’t want them to do that. 

• Upvote 3

TBH I don't really care. If they take a QB, their team will suffer for it because they are just generally a bottom-5 football team and do not have the infrastructure in place to support a rookie. If they pass on a QB, their team will suffer because they have no QB.

At the end of the day, the only thing that can save the Patriots in the immediate is striking that 1% chance that QB3 is an immediate star. I will take those odds

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Pats are going to trade back to 6 with the giants. Giants take maye. Pats grab McCarthy 

I’d love this, especially when the Vikes jump up to #5. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Who cares? Without Brady and Belichick they're just another poverty franchise now. 

This. 

Brady is gone, Belichick is gone. Kraft's chinless wonder son is the de facto GM. There's nothing to fear. They're about to Miami after Marino retired for the next 20 years.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, slats said:

I’d love this, especially when the Vikes jump up to #5. 

This is exactly why I can't see the Pats doing that, unless they're thinking WR and hoping Nix/Penix falls to round.  I'd laugh my ass off though 

10 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

This. 

Brady is gone, Belichick is gone. Kraft's chinless wonder son is the de facto GM. There's nothing to fear. They're about to Miami after Marino retired for the next 20 years.

Unless they draft a FQB, which is reasonable to think they might do considering they pick 3rd overall.

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Probably the worst possible solution, for the Jets and AFC East, would be the proverbial 'bag' sent to the Patriots.

I think the general consensus for said 'bag' is multiple first round picks (3) and/or an established player.

Let's say the Vikings trade 11 and 23, and a first next year plus Darrisaw or Jefferson.  

With the 11th pick in the NFL Draft, the New England Patriots select Michael Penix Jr., QB University of Washington.  

At 23, the Patriots can select the best available WR (Mitchell, Legette, etc.).  This is assuming the Vikings are more amiable in trading Darrisaw.  

At 34, the Patriots can go any number of directions.  Draft another T to pair with Darrisaw and push Owenu back inside to his best spot RG.  Draft another WR and/or use the pick to trade for Aiyuk.  Give Darrisaw and Aiyuk their respective bags.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, PFSIKH said:

Probably the worst possible solution, for the Jets and AFC East, would be the proverbial 'bag' sent to the Patriots.

I think the general consensus for said 'bag' is multiple first round picks (3) and/or an established player.

Let's say the Vikings trade 11 and 23, and a first next year plus Darrisaw or Jefferson.  

With the 11th pick in the NFL Draft, the New England Patriots select Michael Penix Jr., QB University of Washington.  

At 23, the Patriots can select the best available WR (Mitchell, Legette, etc.).  This is assuming the Vikings are more amiable in trading Darrisaw.  

At 34, the Patriots can go any number of directions.  Draft another T to pair with Darrisaw and push Owenu back inside to his best spot RG.  Draft another WR and/or use the pick to trade for Aiyuk.  Give Darrisaw and Aiyuk their respective bags.

What are the rumors for the Pats?  From what I've seen recently there was talk of a trade down (only for a bag) but they like the QBs and will probably take one if they stay at 3.  Which QB(s) do they like?

It feels like they have a legit rebuild in front of them (though they have a good defense) so a trade down might be the move.  But obviously the quickest way to improve is a FQB.

23 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Unless they draft a FQB, which is reasonable to think they might do considering they pick 3rd overall.

No reason to believe they have any ability to support or develop him. Threadbare offensive talent, an org that had Joe Judge and Matt Patricia running their offense two years ago and ruined Mac Jones. Defensive HC who wants to trade down, meddlesome buffoon son of the owner who wants to play GM.

Obviously if they simply land a guy who's a total stud that would suck but they're not in a great position to turn this thing around anytime soon and I don't really fear them at all.

The mystique is gone. It's clear that Brady was everything "special" about them.

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

What are the rumors for the Pats?  From what I've seen recently there was talk of a trade down (only for a bag) but they like the QBs and will probably take one if they stay at 3.  Which QB(s) do they like?

It feels like they have a legit rebuild in front of them (though they have a good defense) so a trade down might be the move.  But obviously the quickest way to improve is a FQB.

They definitely have a rebuild.  

If Mayo/Covington can keep the D at similar levels, a big if, then they can be competitive whatever that means.

There is a lot of talk, but the more trusted reporters seem to think they will pick whoever is available at 3 (Daniels/Maye).  They report it would have to be a ridiculous offer to move them off of 3.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

LOL you're dreaming with this trade package. Like, Justin Jefferson?

No doubt.  

The reverse of that is true as well.  Maye/Daniels will be anywhere from meh to great, but a team with a bigger need at QB is just going to go, "go ahead Vikings here is your ticket to a potential good QB".  

Again, I think it would have to be a ridiculous offer.