Is the media completely overreacting about our corner back situation?

JohnnnyBONES

I hope so man. Not sure who he has to cover on Sunday, anyway. I'd be much more worried in week 2 and beyond. Hopefully Milliner stuns us all by coming back for the Green Bay game.

Yes Milliner back for Green Bay is a must.  I heard that Raiders are starting the rookie Carr.  Might help.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's his MO on defense Crush.

I for one will be interested to see, given the circumstances, if he goes can adjust and play more zone in the secondary.

I understand.  I think everyone wants to see what he does.  I do plan on ordering couple two tree four extra platters of wings just in case.  

Not you, but there are plenty of people who have said there was no plan in place for the position, and have absolutely framed Walls + Allen as the plan after having "ignored" the CB position all offseason.

quote, please. I have never seen this stated. I could be wrong,tho

quote, please. I have never seen this stated. I could be wrong,tho

I'm not prone to making stuff up, like those who claim there's some thought that Idzik is a genius (despite literally no one saying that except those who can't stand him). Excuse me: genious

At the same time I'm not re-opening up 50 threads to go looking for the posts I'm thinking of. 

You seriously haven't read anyone saying Idzik ignored the position, had no plan for the position, etc.? 

I think Allen and Walls will be just fine for week one.  Will they give up a big play or two, sure. But I think they are enough to get us to week-2 relatively unscathed. Plus if we get beat through the air, it's not the end of the world...the whole world knows our CB1 is on the sideline. 

In week-2, we can start contemplating some of these veteran street names without needing to guarantee their contracts (Asante Samuels, Jabari Greer, Tarrell Thomas, Champ Bailey, Drayton Florence, etc), or explore trading opportunities (Jonathon Joseph), or whoever else may shake loose/become expendable due to DT injuries.

The sky is still in place.  

I'm not prone to making stuff up, like those who claim there's some thought that Idzik is a genius (despite literally no one saying that except those who can't stand him). Excuse me: genious

At the same time I'm not re-opening up 50 threads to go looking for the posts I'm thinking of. 

You seriously haven't read anyone saying Idzik ignored the position, had no plan for the position, etc.? 

I am just messing with ya. but seriously, I have never read that idzik didn't have a plan for the corner back position. I think the general consensus from the "whiners" is that idzik was looking to upgrade the position, just failed to do so for whatever reason.

Jets could easily lead the NFL in plays given up 20+ yards.

With the inexperience in the secondary, and Rex getting burned on his blitzes, Jets will give up some very long gainers.

Who led the league last season?  I'm not sure where to reference that, but I'd be curious.  Our secondary should be improved this year.

That's his MO on defense Crush.

I for one will be interested to see, given the circumstances, if he goes can adjust and play more zone in the secondary.

in the year the jets beat the colts and the past* in conscecutive weeks on the road in the playoffs, he adjusted very well.  he played base nickel and dared them to run and played coverage and blitzed here and there.  he had eric smith at safety and scubs opposite revis

he is a proven innovator in this league, adjustments are easy for him

Who led the league last season?  I'm not sure where to reference that, but I'd be curious.  Our secondary should be improved this year.

Don't know about last year, wouldn't be surprised if it was the Pats.

Your secondary is "improved"? Is that a sarcastic joke?

Name one team in the NFL where Allen and Walls would start as CB's on opening day.

Jets have one of the worst, if not the worst, secondaries in the NFL.

in the year the jets beat the colts and the past* in conscecutive weeks on the road in the playoffs, he adjusted very well.  he played base nickel and dared them to run and played coverage and blitzed here and there.  he had eric smith at safety and scubs opposite revis

This.  When Rexy is backed into a corner (no pun intended) he can scheme with the best of them...

Ah, Rex's innovative zone blitz.

How has that worked the last 4 years?

Did he draw that up on his Commodore 64?

Jets could easily lead the NFL in plays given up 20+ yards.

With the inexperience in the secondary, and Rex getting burned on his blitzes, Jets will give up some very long gainers.

I don't doubt that could be an issue. The jets gave up tons of big pass plays last yr too. Remember they signed ed reed to help centerfield they were killed so much (he was washed up and didn't help much) the hope is Pryor should be a significant upgrade. He will def be faster and cover more ground sideline to sideline than anyone we had last yr. haven't seen him enough of him to see if he can help with deep balls, but he has the athleticism to do so. The hope is the offense will be much improved so we don't have to try to win games 10-7 like last yr.

Don't know about last year, wouldn't be surprised if it was the Pats.

Your secondary is "improved"? Is that a sarcastic joke?

Name one team in the NFL where Allen and Walls would start as CB's on opening day.

Jets have one of the worst, if not the worst, secondaries in the NFL.

I'm not sure of the schtick yet, so I will bite. Our secondary last year was very weak. Milliner didn't mature until the last quarter of the season and Cromartie was as bad as anybody. The safeties have been drastically upgraded with the addition of Pryor. This season we get a more experienced Milliner and Walls/Cro are a wash at worst.

How is it not improved?

Ah, Rex's innovative zone blitz.

How has that worked the last 4 years?

Did he draw that up on his Commodore 64?

do you follow football ?  the zone blitz is the guy in pittsburgh.  rex's innovation is attacking pass protections with pre-snap shenanigans. 

it's cool now I know not to discuss football with you

do you like pizza ?

This.  When Rexy is backed into a corner (no pun intended) he can scheme with the best of them...

I'm hoping he gives the defensive staff the season off, lol

I want to see him with the play  sheet in front of his face making the calls and not DT

I guess no plan vs. lousy plan is a matter of semantics.  

the expectation that some combination of walls, patterson, Wilson, and an undetermined draft pick would play CB and nickel is a bad plan and not something that i would expect from a competent NFL GM.   

I guess no plan vs. lousy plan is a matter of semantics.

the expectation that some combination of walls, patterson, Wilson, and an undetermined draft pick would play CB and nickel is a bad plan and not something that i would expect from a competent NFL GM.

Building through the draft is what we call incompetence? Are you Tanny?

Building through the draft is what we call incompetence? Are you Tanny?

how many of the 12 picks are going to be on the active 48 this Sunday?  3 or 4 active?  2 probably set foot on the field.  how many were cut?   certainly more than 2, right?   

It's one think to preach building through the draft.   It's another entirely to make good draft picks.   How many picks made the team post rd 4?  

how many of the 12 picks are going to be on the active 48 this Sunday? 3 or 4 active? 2 probably set foot on the field. how many were cut? certainly more than 2, right?

It's one think to preach building through the draft. It's another entirely to make good draft picks. How many picks made the team post rd 4?

Idz drafted a corner with a high pick who happened to get injured. Anybody can get injured. Injuries to players do not equate to incompetence in the front office.

do you follow football ?  the zone blitz is the guy in pittsburgh.  rex's innovation is attacking pass protections with pre-snap shenanigans. 

it's cool now I know not to discuss football with you

do you like pizza ?

LOL. I really appreciate the concern that Pats fans have for our secondary.

Idz drafted a corner with a high pick who happened to get injured. Anybody can get injured. Injuries to players do not equate to incompetence in the front office.

just so I understand, your contention is that sometime in the February/March timeframe Idzik planned on drafting McDougal in rd 3 and signing Patterson (who was on the dolphins at the time) in addition to keeping Wilson and Walls.  

just so I understand, your contention is that sometime in the February/March timeframe Idzik planned on drafting McDougal in rd 3 and signing Patterson (who was on the dolphins at the time) in addition to keeping Wilson and Walls.

My contention is that Idz dedicated a valuable draft pick to the corner back position. Hence, "building through draft." Injuries will always be part of the game whether you draft them or sign them. My point is that building via draft is not an incompetent strategy.

Rodgers

Cutler

Stafford

Rivers

Manning

Brady

That is what is in store for the Jets after this week.

Yeah you could get by if an E.J Manuel, Teddy Bridgewater, Brian Hoyer were in that mix, but this is a "Murders Row" of outstanding QB's they will be facing the next 6 weeks.

If they get through it 3-3 Rex should be an early favorite for Coach of the year.

Lost in all of this CB talk is Safety aspect of the secondary, and it seems everyone is ignoring the fact (or simply doesn't know) that according to PFF, Calvin Pryor was the highest rated safety in the league during the pre-season ( http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2014/09/calvin_pryor_was_nfls_top-rated_safety_in_preseason_per_pro_football_focus.html )

Granted it's only pre-season, but if this is any sign of things to come, his play might just shore up the secondary enough to make it better than last year.

Nonsense, even if he didn't get hurt, how many teams in the NFL are going into the season counting on a 3rd round draft pick as a starter? Heck there a 1st and 2nd round corner backs that teams won't see significant action as starters much less than counting on a 3rd round pick.

Nonsense, even if he didn't get hurt, how many teams in the NFL are going into the season counting on a 3rd round draft pick as a starter? Heck there a 1st and 2nd round corner backs that teams won't see significant action as starters much less than counting on a 3rd round pick.

The ones that are building through the draft?  You act like we are a corner away from winning a Superbowl.  The point of building through the draft is develop the players you draft.  I could see your point if we were on the cusp of winning it all, but on the cusp we are not.  Our QB alone is 2-3 years away from being at the level required to hit pay dirt.  

Not at all, incompetence is fielding a secondary that wouldn't start for half the Canadian football teams while sitting on 10 plus million in cap space.

So you're saying Idz is incompetent because he couldn't predict an onslaught of injuries?  Doesn't seem to fair.  The cap space is a moot point as we'll need every last penny of it over the next two seasons for positions far more crucial than corner back.  

Archived