Rex Ryan and John Idzik are a Packaged Deal

Jack Straw

Basically. The problem is, if you cant draft you need to drop coin in FA. Draft is only way to get talent at a bargain for a few years. This is one thing Tanny understood, for all his faults.

WR has been a dead zone here for god knows how long. Just come to grips that's where we'll have to spend money. Just pray Peyton retires after this year so we can go after the Thomas boys.

WR has been a dead zone here for god knows how long. Just come to grips that's where we'll have to spend money. Just pray Peyton retires after this year so we can go after the Thomas boys.

Trade whatever you need to for whatever top 10 QB is pissed at his current team then open the vault for pass catchers. I like it. With whatever draft picks you have left draft best available secondary players with each pick lol

Trade whatever you need to for whatever top 10 QB is pissed at his current team then open the vault for pass catchers. I like it. With whatever draft picks you have left draft best available secondary players with each pick lol

I like the world you live in where there is no salary cap. You can't fix every hole via free agency and trade. How quickly people forget recent history.

There's a common belief floated around that John Idzik is safe from being fired because he hasn't had the opportunity to bring in his own head coach. This is pure blasphemy. John Idzik's responsibilities are very different than Rex Ryan's, and he should be judged accordingly. 

What we're witnessing in 2014 is not the result of bad coaching but rather the result of bad talent. John Idzik has had two years to address the cornerback and wide receiver situation, and he has failed miserably at addressing either one. He's had a war chest of $22 million and 19 draft picks to find a WR and a CB, and he's failed miserably at finding both. To date:

• Idzik went all-in on a talented yet highly flawed QB in Geno Smith when we already had one of those on the roster in Mark Sanchez. This was not Rex Ryan's decision.
  • Idzik drafted a highly talented yet oft-injured CB in Dee Milliner, who can't stay on the field. He then tried to address this by, wouldn't you know it, drafting a highly talented yet oft-injured CB in Dexter MacDougle, who also can't stay on the field.
  • Idzik had 12 draft picks in 2014 to find a WR, and addressed it by using a 4th rounder on fringe 5'9 160lb prospect. He then spent two late round, developmental prospects. This is not "addressing a need."
  • Idzik wasted a 6th round prospect on a QB even though we had Geno Smith and Mike Vick on the roster and only carry two QBs on the roster. Matt Simms showed promise in spot duty last year and was a sure thing for the practice squad, leaving no spot for Boyd. Why are we squandering valuable draft picks?

Of the 19 draft picks that Idzik has had to work with, only one has shown that he's capable of being a full-time, productive starter in the league. 9 of the 12 draft picks from the 2014 draft class weren't active in week 4. This isn't Rex Ryan, folks - this is 100% John Idzik.

I'm not saying Rex has done a great job as head coach, but this roster is so devoid of talent that no head coach in the world would be able to come in and succeed with it. If Rex is getting fired for going 6-10 this season, then John Idzik should be fired along with him. This roster is a joke, and that's on Idzik.

I think it is a long shot that Idzik gets fired. But the way this season is starting, nothing is impossible.

I think it is a long shot that Idzik gets fired. But the way this season is starting, nothing is impossible.

All of us Jets fans looked at this past draft as the "new" Jets era and an opportunity to distance ourselves from the Tannenbaun era...and Idzik absolutely bombed it. That type of draft should at least get the wheels turning in Woodys pea brain that he should at least consider asking Korn Ferry for a refund.

Idzik wasted a 6th round prospect on a QB even though we had Geno Smith and Mike Vick on the roster and only carry two QBs on the roster. Matt Simms showed promise in spot duty last year and was a sure thing for the practice squad, leaving no spot for Boyd. Why are we squandering valuable draft picks?

Plenty of flaws in this but this was my favorite. The fetishization of Matt Simms among Jets fans is weird, and I'm curious about when we saw this promise in spot duty last year? FROM THERE - a 6th round pick is a valuable draft pick? 

http://datascopeanalytics.com/what-we-think/2012/05/01/the-chance-of-a-bust-in-the-nfl-draft

You can see from about round 6 (pick 160) and later, the percent chance of failing on a draft pick is over 70%. With such a low hit rate, NFL teams should focus their decision making on players that fit their current schema and can be a strong contributor on special teams.

http://datascopeanalytics.com/static/uploads/blog/2012-04-28/image00.png

There's also plenty of similar looking data for MLB draft and prospect rankings that says basically the same sh*t...Busts pile up at significantly higher rates just a few picks into the first round and climb higher and higher further in. Admitted the NFL isn't as clear cut a the MLB - seems like top 5-6, somewhere in the late teens, and somewhere in the late, late first are relative hot spots. 

Anyway I got away from the point I was making...6th round picks are for ST fodder and not all that valuable otherwise. 

"857 players were drafted in the 6th and 7th rounds between '99-'08. A surprisingly high 73% (625) started at least one game in the NFL. 22% (190) were starters for at least one season. 2% (17) eventually earned a Pro Bowl nomination."

- http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2010/5/15/1473181/late-round-draft-picks-survival

The point is if you know you're going to carry two QBs on your roster, why are you drafting Boyd? If you have 12 draft picks but you don't have 12 open roster spots, why not use them as ammo to trade up for players you actually want instead of settling on scrubs like Boyd, Saunders, Etc?

For all his faults, at least Tannenbaum identified players he wanted and went and got them. Idzik has shown he has absolutely no plan whatsoever. Drafting fullbacks and practice squad QBs is great when you actually have talent at your skilled positions. These guys can be found on the street but we're dedicating our draft picks to them. It's dumb.

Not for nothing, but McDougle was injured once in college. It wasn't like he never saw the field. His injury was also to his shoulder, not his legs. There was no reason to think he would have ACL problems. 

I do agree though, that with only two draft picks out of 12 on the field, it looks bad

He was hurt three times in school, ending his season twice. No, it was never his ACL, but brittle kids tend to be brittle. 

a 6th round pick is a valuable draft pick? 

Anyway I got away from the point I was making...6th round picks are for ST fodder and not all that valuable otherwise. 

yes a 6th round pick is not likely to pan out. But the point is somewhat sound... why take a guy with 0% chance of making the roster? Or if you knew you had a QB problem, why not address it with a real pick? 

I'm working under the theory at this point that Idzik wants Rex gone and is actively working to bring that about. I'm not one for conspiracies, but it makes sense that Idzik wants his own guy. No way he can justify letting Rex go to Woody without a disasterous season.

That said, this might just be year 2 of a rebuild, nobody's job is in jeopardy, and fan/media expectations are just higher because the team overachieved last season.

Plenty of flaws in this but this was my favorite. The fetishization of Matt Simms among Jets fans is weird, and I'm curious about when we saw this promise in spot duty last year? FROM THERE - a 6th round pick is a valuable draft pick? 

Nobody has an obsession with Matt Simms, but he's a perfect candidate for the PS so there was no need for Rex to bring in his son's friend. And six of our nine defensive backs were drafted in the 6th/7th round, or not drafted at all, so to say they have no value is absurd.

Mike Singletary 49ers team became a lot more "talented" when Harbaugh took over. Same with the Rich Kotite/Parcells Jets. Rex sucks.

I say the same about receivers....They all looked bad under O'Donnell and Foley. The media was having a field day dropped passes (even Chrebet and Key had a few too many) Then Vinny takes over and they are unstoppable. Could the receiving core be looking much worse because of Geno?

I'm working under the theory at this point that Idzik wants Rex gone and is actively working to bring that about.

I don't think so. We all knew Idzik's plan was gonna be a slow burn one in which he would build through the draft and look for bargain free agents.

He did, however seriously fumble the ball on the corner position, which I said back in April. He overestimated Milliner, allowed the team's best and most experienced cb, Cromartie go, passed up on all of the big name free agents and got a washed up flake named Dmitri Patterson, who's no longer on the team. As a result, the Jets had no answers go Calvin Johnson, and before that, Ashlon Jeffries and Jordy Nelson.

Rex has not coached well this season...granted the turnovers are killer but zero interceptions through 4 games is pathetic. Teams are going to be able to throw....you need to limit big plays and create take aways....we play the opposite type of defense.

Coincidentally the only two teams without an interception are the Saints and JEts.

idzik def deserves more time and he should at least be judged once he gets his coach in here................rex should have been fired yesteryear.

He got to chose his coach after year 1 and he stuck with Rex. He could have said 8-8 is not good enough and brought in his own guy but he decided not to and needs to be held accountable for te whole team. How many players has he brought in that have had a big impact?

He got to chose his coach after year 1 and he stuck with Rex. He could have said 8-8 is not good enough and brought in his own guy but he decided not to and needs to be held accountable for te whole team. How many players has he brought in that have had a big impact?

idzik genius for keeping rex. free out for this year.

yes a 6th round pick is not likely to pan out. But the point is somewhat sound... why take a guy with 0% chance of making the roster? Or if you knew you had a QB problem, why not address it with a real pick? 

The Jets are aware that QB was a problem. Geno/Vick is the best 1/2 they've put out in a long time, which is sad but moving those margins!

I don't think they saw Boyd as zero shot, and either way banking on what was it...7 picks from the 5th and beyond...to build a roster would just be dumb. 

Nobody has an obsession with Matt Simms, but he's a perfect candidate for the PS so there was no need for Rex to bring in his son's friend. And six of our nine defensive backs were drafted in the 6th/7th round, or not drafted at all, so to say they have no value is absurd.

Coulda fooled me, JN! 

Having some 6th/7th round picks on a roster doesn't mean that those picks are valuable. It's mostly a sign that this is leaning towards being a weak roster, which we all knew/know. 

GM's usually get 3 years.  woody made a tepid commitment to rex last year.  it was a classic "prove it" deal

unless the team goes 1-15 idzik stays

rex needs 9-7 to stay

it's possible idzik was brought in to be the axe man and a new GM will replace him, but I don't see woody thinking like that

Rex has not coached well this season...granted the turnovers are killer but zero interceptions through 4 games is pathetic. Teams are going to be able to throw....you need to limit big plays and create take aways....we play the opposite type of defense.

Coincidentally the only two teams without an interception are the Saints and JEts.

I'm starting to wonder if the coaching has truly been that bad?  I mean honestly, a -8 turnover margin with a bottom 5 roster in the league and they've had a chance to win vs. 3 superior opponents.  What's keeping them in these games?  With a -8 turnover margin, they should be getting the doors blown off of them.

Is it Rex's fault for the lack of turnovers?  Ultimately I guess so but I know they emphasized it all offseason.  It is it more of a product that he's starting a S and a UDFA at corner and Wilson is his nickel who we know cant get picks?  Landry isnt a cover guy and Pryor is feeling the rookie woes right now.  So maybe they just dont have the players?  They've dropped a few that could have been pick six types and had one called back, but man, wtf is up with that?  Its strange.

And this isnt a plea for Rex, he's got to go...but something is keeping them in games and it certainly isnt their offense. 

The Jets are aware that QB was a problem. Geno/Vick is the best 1/2 they've put out in a long time, which is sad but moving those margins!

I don't think they saw Boyd as zero shot, and either way banking on what was it...7 picks from the 5th and beyond...to build a roster would just be dumb

Six, actually, but the point is the same - and that's kinda exactly what they tried to do by holding onto all those picks. They possessed six tradeable picks from the fourth round on down, using a few of them in an effort to move their second and/or third rounder up might've been pretty brilliant in hindsight. 

nah i think woody told idzik he had to keep wrecks.

Archived