Demario Davis Critical of Jets Preparation

JetNation

Demario Davis

In the wake of an embarrassing 31-0 defeat at the hands of the San Diego Chargers, third year linebacker and defensive leader Demario Davis had some harsh words for some of  his teammates.  According to Rich Cimini of ESPN.com, Davis was quoted after the game as saying “Right now, we’re not practicing like a championship football team.” and continued “I don’t see a lot of guys putting a lot of effort into film study.”  There isn’t a more damning statement in professional sports than to have a player accuse teammates of not putting in the necessary work.  Davis was drafted to be a leader on the field and in the locker room and that’s exactly what he’s doing.  Clearly Davis wants to see a greater level of commitment from his teammates moving forward, and sadly this isn’t the first time  he’s had to speak up on the issue.  During training camp, Davis talked about some players on the roster only doing what was mandatory, and not willing to put in any extra work before or after practice to get better.  Rex Ryan has gone on record saying that Davis is a passionate and vocal leader, but this time  his words could come back to haunt the head coach, as ownership and fans will speculate as to why Ryan isn’t demanding more out of his players.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
nGSTE4Rb-ww

View the full article

I saw that Rex talked to Davis about this.  I'd tend to believe Davis' side of the story because he was brought in because of his leadership and work ethic.  That's going to mean he'll speak up if he sees something wrong.  I also like that he took accountability and acknowledged the fact that he has to be better.

there are no consequences. come late to meetings, or don't show at all, get in fist fights and walk out of the stadium in triumph after being ejected like you just conquered Cisalpine Gaul, lead the league in turnovers and pick six's and remain untouchable, be arrested for domestic violence and not be suspended unlike what every other team in the league is doing now.

of course the players that care have no choice but to turn to the media. rex is probably in the back row shooting spitballs at the screen during film sessions with the rest of the clowns.

there are no consequences. come late to meetings, or don't show at all, get in fist fights and walk out of the stadium in triumph after being ejected like you just conquered Cisalpine Gaul, lead the league in turnovers and pick six's and remain untouchable, be arrested for domestic violence and not be suspended unlike what every other team in the league is doing now.

of course the players that care have no choice but to turn to the media. rex is probably in the back row shooting spitballs at the screen during film sessions with the rest of the clowns.

I wish I could add something to this but you just summed it up as good as it can be..btw I thought I saw mangold back up what Davis said did anyone else see that??...Rex's army " nothing is Rex fault " may have gotten it deleted from press...watch Mehta , cimini and crew go after Davis now like he's the bad guy

I saw that Rex talked to Davis about this. I'd tend to believe Davis' side of the story because he was brought in because of his leadership and work ethic. That's going to mean he'll speak up if he sees something wrong. I also like that he took accountability and acknowledged the fact that he has to be better.

Only thing I would add is that he was willing to put his name to it. Means so much more than just another anonymous source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only thing I would add is that he was willing to put his name to it. Means so much more than just another anonymous source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yea man great great point actually I didn't even think of that.

I think a lot of vets were more pissed than is being reported about Geno missing the meeting and Rex doing nothing, that's why it was leaked to begin with , just totally irresponsible on every level that he started that game. This is where Rex always fails, " hey Vick get ready your starting tomorow , Geno your out "..and if Idzik or MM have something to say tell them to F off too..:if Idzik really is th one making the call on Geno that I have even less respect for Rex , if I have guaranteed millions coming to me no way am I going out like that.

Not sure why this seems like a surprise to so many, Rex is exactly like is father, he makes a lot of noise and his schemes do work for awhile, then the lack of discipline, and a generally unbalanced team catches up to them. He's a one trick pony not a head coach.  

Not sure why this seems like a surprise to so many, Rex is exactly like is father, he makes a lot of noise and his schemes do work for awhile, then the lack of discipline, and a generally unbalanced team catches up to them. He's a one trick pony not a head coach.  

yup

If only the FO would stop sabotaging Rex with guys who don't know how to prepare for games. It's not like that's something that can be taught.

Good point. Also blame NFL rookie symposium for not teaching "Time Zones and You 101"

If Davis hasnt personally gone and confronted the players he believes arent putting in the right amount of preparation, than he's a ******* fraud and needs to shut the **** up. If he's this great leader he claims to be, than he should be able to rally the troops and get them preparing the way they should. Do you think players slacked off under Ray Lewis and Ed Reed's supervision?  

Everyone always wants to point to the Head Coach because its easy. But great teams are led by the guys on the field just as much as the guy on the sidelines...if not more.

If Davis has a problem with the way the team prepares, those conversation should be held in private, not some broad shot at the team through the blood sucking NY media.  

If Davis hasnt personally gone and confronted the players he believes arent putting in the right amount of preparation, than he's a ******* fraud and needs to shut the **** up. If he's this great leader he claims to be, than he should be able to rally the troops and get them preparing the way they should. Do you think players slacked off under Ray Lewis and Ed Reed's supervision?  

Everyone always wants to point to the Head Coach because its easy. But great teams are led by the guys on the field just as much as the guy on the sidelines...if not more.

If Davis has a problem with the way the team prepares, those conversation should be held in private, not some broad shot at the team through the blood sucking NY media.  

Heck, why even have a coach? 

And that is the way this team seems to prepare.

Heck, why even have a coach? 

And that is the way this team seems to prepare.

pretty tough for a solider to "rally the troops" when the commanding officer is the worst offender

pretty tough for a solider to "rally the troops" when the commanding officer is the worst offender

That's bull sh*t.  You've never been under poor leadership before?   I've worked for some ******* bone heads. 

I dont let a poor leader impact my success or the success of the others around me.  If anything, in the face of poor leadership, I'll step even more and take on more leadership responsibilities to make sure that I'm not impacted by the buffoon running the show.

If Davis hasnt done this and this was the first time the teams heard him say something like this, than he's a fraud and needs to shut the **** up.

That's bull sh*t.  You've never been under poor leadership before?   I've worked for some ******* bone heads. 

I dont let a poor leader impact my success or the success of the others around me.  If anything, in the face of poor leadership, I'll step even more and take on more leadership responsibilities to make sure that I'm not impacted by the buffoon running the show.

If Davis hasnt done this and this was the first time the teams heard him say something like this, than he's a fraud and needs to shut the **** up.

well aren't you a special little one then

That's bull sh*t. You've never been under poor leadership before? I've worked for some ******* bone heads.

I dont let a poor leader impact my success or the success of the others around me. If anything, in the face of poor leadership, I'll step even more and take on more leadership responsibilities to make sure that I'm not impacted by the buffoon running the show.

respect your opinion Jif but gotta disagree , I also have worked for a lot of ###heads and have had a lot of them work under me as well, reality is 10% are self motivated like you and I but the other 90 in any aspect of life are usually motivated by money or fear of losing their job , since the NFL guys have the money part that leaves one option.

And you are CEO of where? ;)

Even if Rex is a bad coach, it's the players' fault for letting that affect their performance.

Exactly. One time when I was working customer service for Hot Topic, the manager was at the food court all day not telling us what to do. Guess what? We rearranged all the band merchandise by genre and we were fine. Same thing here.

well aren't you a special little one then

For once, I wasnt trying to brag on my badassness.  Just giving an example. 

respect your opinion Jif but gotta disagree , I also have worked for a lot of ###heads and have had a lot of them work under me as well, reality is 10% are self motivated like you and I but the other 90 in any aspect of life are usually motivated by money or fear of losing their job , since the NFL guys have the money part that leaves one option.

I get that but ff he hasnt talked to these players individually and this is the first time they've heard it, that is very poor leadership.  Very poor.  Davis should know all too well what the media can do with the smallest of quotes.  This is calling out the entire team, from top to bottom through the worst channel possible and he's separating himself from the mess as if he's doing everything right and the rest of the team isnt.  It's very poor form (assuming he hasnt had those conversation one on one). 

And you are CEO of where? ;)

No.  But I'm a top producer and run a team who reports to a Director.  I'm on my 5th Director in 8 years.  This guy is good.  The rest have been terrible.  I find myself not having to exert as much energy as a leader with my new Director around compared. 

JIF for Employee of the Year!

Not quite.  I guess other cant relate.  I thought it was good take. 

Archived