Lots of hate for Idzik today on a national level

AFJF

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think there were a lot of guys out there that Idzik wanted to pay for that were also going to agree to play here. I don't blame him for not overpaying flakes like DRC and Vontae Davis at all. Every FA corner signing has looked bad so far, with the exception of Flowers. As for signing receivers, I don't know who we were going to con into playing here. IMO, the only reason Decker is here is because of his wife's career aspirations. I personally wanted Geoff Schwartz as a veteran OL, but even that signing looks awful (hasn't played a snap this year). Alterraun Verner was the other guy I wanted, and he's been getting lit up in Tampa. I guess I'm just hoping that Idzik simply didn't want to throw good money after bad just to appease a few beat guys. But, it's the long game, and it's a gamble, and it needs to start bearing fruit next year.

DRC has looked pretty good outside of the first game.  The secondary isnt the biggest problem though...the line and the receiver group needed one year stop guys at the least. Golden Tate would have been an excellent signing to pair with Decker. And we'd still have flexibility next year to go after a big receiver(considering we're getting zip out of the draft picks). 

Sorry to interrupt a perfectly good mob bashing.......but Cromartie got burned for 200 plus yards by Peyton Manning yesterday.....now you can carry on.

Yeah? Lots of corners have experienced the same thing. He's had a decent season overall which is more than you can say about any cornerback on our roster.

If hit or miss equates to the 6th best rushing attack in the entire league, then I'll take that every day of the week and twice on Sundays.  Right now I wish those hit of miss guys got more touches than the BPA in FA.

I don't disagree.

Given that I wasn't yet on JN regularly this last offseason, all of my own positions are not here to cite.

But I clearly didn't want Vick. I clearly didn't want CJ. For the record.

I was ok with Decker, but agreed he was probably not a #1 WR here as we were.

I had a very different view on this last Draft, Idzik did not go as I would have and as I desired.

I was NOT ok with Ryan Coaching us again in 2014. I desperately wanted him fired, and I was right.

I was NOT ok with Geno Smith being handed a #1 starting job again in 2014. I wanted him at least competing vs. a veteran FA QB not-named-Vick, or against a Draft Pick QB. And Iw as right there too.

I'm no Idzik fanboy, he doesn't run the Jets the way I'd run the Jets.

But with that said, you fire the guy whose to blame for the last four years of failure first, give the GM a chance to have his own guy, then you fie that GM two years later if it fails badly.

That's how it works. Firing Idzik now does what, exactly? New GM search, then a new Coach search? How does that make us better exactly? And really, fire a GM before he ever got to pick his own Head Coach? That's just silly.

I want what we all want, success. Soon.

What I am 100% sick of the deflection of Rex Ryan's responsabillity being foisted on every other person related to this franchise the last six years.

It's not all of them, it's Rex. Fix that, then see whats what, and if more firings are needed, have at it.

I was NOT ok with Ryan Coaching us again in 2014. I desperately wanted him fired, and I was right.

serious question fish do you believe a better coach gets more out of this roster? Im not talking about hiring Harbaugh and hope that he has enough influence to draft a good QB. This exact roster, with a different coach. 

Coaches should be fired when they underperform with a decent roster. Or when the team gives up on them.

Rex has a garbage roster, firing him is just a spite move. 

DRC has looked pretty good outside of the first game. The secondary isnt the biggest problem though...the line and the receiver group needed one year stop guys at the least. Golden Tate would have been an excellent signing to pair with Decker. And we'd still have flexibility next year to go after a big receiver(considering we're getting zip out of the draft picks).

Tate is overrated, but I'll agree that the drafted WRs all made me puke. I don't blame him for taking Amaro in the 2nd over one of the WR, but to come back in the third with McDougle was a head scratcher, especially after drafting the safety in Rd 1. The McDougle and Saunders picks need to be addressed--as to who pimped those two specific players at those spots. If it was Idzik, or Bradway, or Bauer, somebody has to hang here, if not for who they drafted, then where they were picked, because both look to have been picked a minimum of 2-3 rounds too soon.

I don't think there were a lot of guys out there that Idzik wanted to pay for that were also going to agree to play here. I don't blame him for not overpaying flakes like DRC and Vontae Davis at all. Every FA corner signing has looked bad so far, with the exception of Flowers. As for signing receivers, I don't know who we were going to con into playing here. IMO, the only reason Decker is here is because of his wife's career aspirations. I personally wanted Geoff Schwartz as a veteran OL, but even that signing looks awful (hasn't played a snap this year). Alterraun Verner was the other guy I wanted, and he's been getting lit up in Tampa. I guess I'm just hoping that Idzik simply didn't want to throw good money after bad just to appease a few beat guys. But, it's the long game, and it's a gamble, and it needs to start bearing fruit next year.

He paid Dimitri ******* Patterson $3M.  The state of the roster is not bad because McDougle got hurt.  It is bad because McDougle HAD to start.  The guy had a sh*t load of money and needs at WR and CB.  He brought in Decker, Jacoby Ford, Jalen Saunders, Shaq Evans, Quincy Enunwa, Patterson, and McDougle.  That is ******* horrific.  He whiffed on damn near everything.  The only hope is that he is molding a roster without considering Rex, but why blow money on Vick and CJ who are both guys you hope don't see the field?  

POTMFY

Typical blame the mistress/forgive the husband nonsense, as if all of the Jets personnel problems began 20 months ago. It's six years of the same crap. Connect the dots, morons.

Typical of you to go from blaming Tannenbaum for everything to blaming Rex.  Make up your ******* mind.  If only Rex could draft better, maybe one of the 3 WR picks could have made the roster ahead of five waiver wire pickups.  

Tate is overrated, but I'll agree that the drafted WRs all made me puke. I don't blame him for taking Amaro in the 2nd over one of the WR, but to come back in the third with McDougle was a head scratcher, especially after drafting the safety in Rd 1. The McDougle and Saunders picks need to be addressed--as to who pimped those two specific players at those spots. If it was Idzik, or Bradway, or Bauer, somebody has to hang here, if not for who they drafted, but where they were picked, because both look to have been picked a minimum of 2-3 rounds too soon.

the whole "plan" is bullsh*t cause it's based around Geno Smith being decent. 

They could have drafted Johnny Football or Teddy Bridgewater in 1. They could have drafted Jimmy G in 2. 

All this talk about WRs and CBs (and HC's) are side discussions. 

and by the way I don't buy this Idzik is tanking the season theory because it assumes he can execute a plan. If Idzik was really trying to tank the season, they'd be great. 

Tate is overrated, but I'll agree that the drafted WRs all made me puke. I don't blame him for taking Amaro in the 2nd over one of the WR, but to come back in the third with McDougle was a head scratcher, especially after drafting the safety in Rd 1. The McDougle and Saunders picks need to be addressed--as to who pimped those two specific players at those spots. If it was Idzik, or Bradway, or Bauer, somebody has to hang here, if not for who they drafted, then where they were picked, because both look to have been picked a minimum of 2-3 rounds too soon.

Dennis Thurman was the guy who went to Rex about Mcdougle. Dennis Thurman is a ******* moron btw. Pettine was the bad cop...there's no more bad cop in Florham Park. It smells like a Frat House on a Sunday morning.

I don't disagree.

Given that I wasn't yet on JN regularly this last offseason, all of my own positions are not here to cite.

But I clearly didn't want Vick. I clearly didn't want CJ. For the record.

I was ok with Decker, but agreed he was probably not a #1 WR here as we were.

I had a very different view on this last Draft, Idzik did not go as I would have and as I desired.

I was NOT ok with Geno Smith being handed a #1 starting job again in 2014. I wanted him at least competing vs. a veteran FA QB not-named-Vick, or against a Draft Pick QB. And Iw as right there too.

I'm no Idzik fanboy, he doesn't run the Jets the way I'd run the Jets.

But with that said, you fire the guy whose to blame for the last four years of failure first, give the GM a chance to have his own guy, then you fie that GM two years later if it fails badly.

That's how it works. Firing Idzik now does what, exactly? New GM search, then a new Coach search? How does that make us better exactly? And really, fire a GM before he ever got to pick his own Head Coach? That's just silly.

I want what we all want, success. Soon.

What I am 100% sick of the deflection of Rex Ryan's responsabillity being foisted on every other person related to this franchise the last six years.

It's not all of them, it's Rex. Fix that, then see whats what, and if more firings are needed, have at it.

Not having your own coach should not excuse you for drafting poorly and/or not spending money wisely in FA.  

Also, I don't believe the Jets management structure follow the normal hierarchy of Owner > GM > HC.  I think both GM and HC report directly to the owner which explains why Tanny survived Mangini's firing and Rex survived Tanny's.  

Lastly, Idzik knowingly signed up with Rex as his HC.  He's worked his whole life to get this position, which there are only just 32 in the entire world.  One would expect that he's putting his best foot forward regardless of who his coach is.  So far his best has been pretty underwhelming.  I equate it to why usually an artist best album is usually his first.  That's because they generally can pull from the best unpublished work they've been working on up until that point.  Going forward that notebook gets thinner.

He paid Dimitri ******* Patterson $3M. The state of the roster is not bad because McDougle got hurt. It is bad because McDougle HAD to start. The guy had a sh*t load of money and needs at WR and CB. He brought in Decker, Jacoby Ford, Jalen Saunders, Shaq Evans, Quincy Enunwa, Patterson, and McDougle. That is ******* horrific. He whiffed on damn near everything. The only hope is that he is molding a roster without considering Rex, but why blow money on Vick and CJ who are both guys you hope don't see the field?

He didn't blow "big money" on either player. He rented both of them and many people approved of both signings when they were made. It looks bad now because they have Mike Vick running Tim Tebow's wildcat plays and CJ is already shot. Who cares? They're rental cars. Here's a thought: maybe it was really hard to convince free agent WRs to come play here because the HC wants to run the Wing-T and the headstones of every free agent WR to come before line the road leading up to the front door?

Typical of you to go from blaming Tannenbaum for everything to blaming Rex. Make up your ******* mind. If only Rex could draft better, maybe one of the 3 WR picks could have made the roster ahead of five waiver wire pickups.

I can't recall, weren't you a big advocate of Tannenbaum's? Yes, it's "typical" of me to point at stupid Jets moves, try and identify who is responsible for those moves, and then have twenty dudes on the Internet pretend those moves were made by ghosts and not the Jets employee that they like that day. Tannenbaum was an accountant. Rex is a moron. The young talent here has been in free-fall since the day Club Rex opened its doors in 09. This is the culmination of that. But hey, let's blame the guy who just got here.

serious question fish do you believe a better coach gets more out of this roster?

Absolutely I do. A better coach with a different system, more balance between O and D, and the entire 2014 Offseason goes differently IMO, starting with demands an alternative to Geno Smith in camp, a veteran alternative who beats out Smith in camp outright, and makes us at least average/competitive of Offense.

Think Testeverde, not amazing (generally) but adequate. Which would be a massive upgrade.

The D, as built, would be the same with Rex as without. It's a massive fantasy that only Rex Ryan can coach Defense.

Rex has a garbage roster, firing him is just a spite move.

So you would retain Rex into Year 7.

I am without words.

Dennis Thurman was the guy who went to Rex about Mcdougle. Dennis Thurman is a ******* moron btw. Pettine was the bad cop...there's no more bad cop in Florham Park. It smells like a Frat House on a Sunday morning.

I do think that's it. Rex runs off the Cotchery's and replaces them with the Holmes'.

Oh.  The terms seemed to have changed.  They will fire Rex and give Idzik a bit more rope.  I agree with Bit that there are not too many coaches I think would have a better record with this roster, but I don't agree that means you don't fire the coach.  Sometimes you just make a change.  They finished last season fairly strong and with that roster that was reason enough to stay the course, but this sh*t can't go on, so you might as well start over.  I just hope they have an actual plan and power structure in place and don't keep doing this sh*t piecemeal. 

I do think that's it. Rex runs off the Cotchery's and replaces them with the Holmes'.

I dont know how Florham Park isnt trying to burn every copy of Collision Low Crossers. Maybe next year up at Cortland- bonfire night or something.

Wow...not a Stephen A. Smith fan but just saw him trash Idzik on ESPN, then saw this article come up on twitter from King's MMQB. Unless he told Woody ahead of time that the team was going to suck for the next couple of seasons, he may find himself out of the job after only one true off-season based on how cash-strapped they were last year.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/10/06/new-york-jets-mess-rex-ryan-john-idzik/

Idzik set the Jets back 5 years.

What GM would leave $21MM on the table with a marginal talented roster?

Fire Rex and the dope Idzik, and hire Cowher or Gruden and give them total control.

He didn't blow "big money" on either player. He rented both of them and many people approved of both signings when they were made. It looks bad now because they have Mike Vick running Tim Tebow's wildcat plays and CJ is already shot. Who cares? They're rental cars. Here's a thought: maybe it was really hard to convince free agent WRs to come play here because the HC wants to run the Wing-T and the headstones of every free agent WR to come before line the road leading up to the front door?

I can't recall, weren't you a big advocate of Tannenbaum's? Yes, it's "typical" of me to point at stupid Jets moves, try and identify who is responsible for those moves, and then have twenty dudes on the Internet pretend those moves were made by ghosts and not the Jets employee that they like that day. Tannenbaum was an accountant. Rex is a moron. The young talent here has been in free-fall since the day Club Rex opened its doors in 09. This is the culmination of that. But hey, let's blame the guy who just got here

Idzik's moves haven't been stupid?  By what metric? Even by the wait for a QB plan they have been borderline atrocious.  I like Tannenbaum okay.  I think he had a plan, but tried getting too cute.  The team certainly would be better right now if he were GM.  It's not like he did not plan to make the same cuts last year that Idzik did.  The only positives Idzik should get credit for are Richardson and moving Revis for a first.  Every other borderline decent move he has made is on the injured list.  Patterson is possibly the worst signing in recent memory.  Johnson seems horrible.  He had 12 draft picks and only 5 are on the team right now. Only 3 dress. That would not be so pathetic if a bunch of them were not hand picked for special teams.  

All that money and 12 draft picks and only Eric Decker makes the team ahead of last year's scrubs?  Assuredly Ryan's fault.  If these guys were developmental prospects and coming along slowly, maybe, but they are ******* gone.  Gone for the likes of TJ Graham, Walter Powell and Saalim Hakim. He could not find guys to beat out Nelson and Salas and that is a sin. 

Oh.  The terms seemed to have changed.  They will fire Rex and give Idzik a bit more rope.  I agree with Bit that there are not too many coaches I think would have a better record with this roster, but I don't agree that means you don't fire the coach.  Sometimes you just make a change.  They finished last season fairly strong and with that roster that was reason enough to stay the course, but this sh*t can't go on, so you might as well start over.  I just hope they have an actual plan and power structure in place and don't keep doing this sh*t piecemeal. 

Don't the too many men on the field penalties and burning timeouts in the 3rd quarter get old? This is not a well coached team from Rex on down. 

Idzik blew it, but let's be fair...two whole drafts woule be two picks in every round...not five or six picks in rounds 5-7.

Thank you.  I am so tired of the ass-hats throwing around "12 draft picks".   Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of issues with our draft but the "12 draft picks" blathering is beyond dumb.

Everyone (seems, IMO) to want to protect Rex Ryan, the REAL problem of this franchise today, because he is a like-able, entertaining clown-car of a quote-dropping car wreck, because he's fun, he sells NY papers and he wins over gullible fans who like rah rah college-style bullsh*t.

You mean like the coaches representing NFC teams in the last two Super Bowls?

What's funny is Terry Bradway is still in charge of the personnel process. Swapping Mike T for Idzik was just window dressing for a rebuild being put together by Bradway. Idzik isnt a scout- he's a cap guy who's basically taking the opposite of approach of Tannenbaum. Tannenbaum had to go just to give the fans something...when in reality he could have done the same thing Idzik did with clearing cap space(anyone basically can clear space as long as you have the owners blessing; see Dolan, James). The scouting reports are still coming from Bradway.

If Woody starts getting in Idzik's ear to start making splash moves, we'll see Idzik start over spending. Its basically what happened when Mangini came off the 4-12 year. Favre, big money FA's...that's when Tanny went from Parcells' methodical bitch boy to reality TV star.

Idzik's moves haven't been stupid? By what metric? Even by the wait for a QB plan they have been borderline atrocious. I like Tannenbaum okay. I think he had a plan, but tried getting too cute. The team certainly would be better right now if he were GM. It's not like he did not plan to make the same cuts last year that Idzik did. The only positives Idzik should get credit for are Richardson and moving Revis for a first. Every other borderline decent move he has made is on the injured list. Patterson is possibly the worst signing in recent memory. Johnson seems horrible. He had 12 draft picks and only 5 are on the team right now. Only 3 dress. That would not be so pathetic if a bunch of them were not hand picked for special teams.

All that money and 12 draft picks and only Eric Decker makes the team ahead of last year's scrubs? Assuredly Ryan's fault. If these guys were developmental prospects and coming along slowly, maybe, but they are ******* gone. Gone for the likes of TJ Graham, Walter Powell and Saalim Hakim. He could not find guys to beat out Nelson and Salas and that is a sin.

I like and respect you, Dom, and I don't altogether disagree on the WR point, but im walking away from you on this Tannenbaum stuff. I won't revisit something that's carved in stone.

I like and respect you, Dom, and I don't altogether disagree on the WR point, but im walking away from you on this Tannenbaum stuff. I won't revisit something that's carved in stone.

Tannenbaum didnt turn into Mistah T until 2008 when he got an edict from Woody to start spending. Our sh*tty drafting is going to turn Idzik into the same thing Tannebaum was from 2008 on. Bradway is the common denominator.

Idzik isnt a personnel guy in any right...Woody wanted a suit to manage his money and look professional in front of the media.

Tannenbaum didnt turn into Mistah T until 2008 when he got an edict from Woody to start spending. Our sh*tty drafting is going to turn Idzik into the same thing Tannebaum was from 2008 on. Bradway is the common denominator.

Idzik isnt a personnel guy in any right...Woody wanted a suit to manage his money and look professional in front of the media.

I'm sure Woody wants a guy who looks like he walked out of Wharton to run his team. I'm of the belief (wish) that Idzik was planning on flipping the scouting staff with Seattle refugees and their Super Bowl run short-circuited him, which set us back a year.

I think Mike Tannenbaum did a lot more to help this team when he was here. He built the 2009 and 2010 back to back AFC championship appearance teams.

Tannenbaum atleast spent money on talent that he thought could help the team. Meanwhile Idzik sits there doing nothing with still more money left to spend.

If Mike T was still here the jets would have gotten rogers Cromartie and Revis or Cromartie back. Idzik has to be the worst general manager in football right now.

who gives a crap about big money, the cap is going up by leaps and bounds every year and sometimes you have to overpay to fill out your roster. I'm sorry, but it's inexcusable to go into this season coming off 8-8 with the kind of crap we trot out there in passing O and D

I think Mike Tannenbaum did a lot more to help this team when he was here. He built the 2009 and 2010 back to back AFC championship appearance teams.

Tannenbaum atleast spent money on talent that he thought could help the team. Meanwhile Idzik sits there doing nothing with still more money left to spend.

If Mike T was still here the jets would have gotten rogers Cromartie and Revis or Cromartie back. Idzik has to be the worst general manager in football right now.

Idzik has been an utter disaster, despite what his fanboys will tell you.

They will point at Rex and while he's a good target, rex and idzik both sucking are not mutually exclusive

who gives a crap about big money, the cap is going up by leaps and bounds every year and sometimes you have to overpay to fill out your roster. I'm sorry, but it's inexcusable to go into this season coming off 8-8 with the kind of crap we trot out there in passing O and D

The team sucks, no question. I just think that 2015 is Idzik's Waterloo

Archived