Rich Gannon "He's is an accident waiting to happen"

DonCorleone

Rich Gannon on Geno Smith: “He’s An Accident Waiting To Happen”

Geno Smith has been in the headlines for all the wrong reasons.

The second-year quarterback missed a team meeting Saturday and followed that up by getting benched in San Diego yesterday. On the season, Geno has only thrown 4 touchdowns to 6 interceptions.

Former NFL quarterback Rich Gannon and current CBS commentator Rich Gannon isn’t a Geno supporter by any stretch of the imagination.

Rich Gannon on Geno Smith: "He is an accident waiting to happen. He’s a turnover machine." (via CBS Sports Network) #jets

— Kimberley A. Martin (@KMart_LI) October 6, 2014

Despite Geno’s poor play, New York Jets head coach Rex Ryan has named him the starter for now.

Hmm..Gannon knows a thing or two about QBing.  Didn't he win an MVP at one point? 

He sure did.. I worry about Geno's continued lack of reading progressions..

Gannon:

Career highlights and awards

I'm sick of waiting for next 'savior' also, but this kid Mariota reads like a Russ Wilson clone, smart, goes through progressions and team attitude, he stayed in school another year when he would have been drafted very high last year to win a NC w/his college team..Read Mels synopsis:

• marcus-mariota-ncaa-football-wyoming-ore

Sep 13, 2014; Eugene, OR, USA; Oregon Ducks quarterback Marcus Mariota (8) throws the ball before the game against the Wyoming Cowboys at Autzen Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Scott Olmos-USA TODAY Sports

NFL

Mel Kiper NFL Draft Big Board 2015: Melvin Gordon joins list; Mariota No. 1

by Josh Sanchez 

5d ago
  •  
Mel Kiper unveils latest NFL Draft Big Board 2015

One of the top draft experts in the game, ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr., has unveiled his latest Big Board for the upcoming NFL Draft as we enter Week 6 of the college football season.

With plenty of surprises throughout the college football world, it should come as no surprise that the latest NFL Draft Big Board 2015 edition has some new faces.

One of the most prominent players to enter Kiper’s list of top players is Wisconsin running back Melvin Gordon — who has drawn comparisons to Kansas City Chiefs star Jamaal Charles.

At the top of the list, Kiper has Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota and USC defensive lineman Leonard Williams.

Here are his explanations:

1 MARCUS MARIOTA QB, Oregon Ducks
Through four games, all wins, Mariota is completing 74 percent of his passes, has 13 TD throws, and is yet to throw an INT. Basically, par for the course. He’s simply a terrifying QB to defend because he combines above-average accuracy and anticipation with an ability to get through his progressions and elite athleticism. He isn’t a classic dropback passer, and how well he can take apart a defense with tools other than his legs matters in terms of how he is viewed as a prospect, but his ability to throw on the run or to simply take off and pick up chunk yardage as a runner is a major plus.

I know the draft is a crap-shoot, but I'm tired of them taking QB's with huge question marks and expecting them to do great things.  Sanchez hardly played in college, and Geno played in a video game offense.  He was a guy that was always going to take several years if he ever develops at all.  I haven't looked at too many scouting reports on current QB's just yet, but it looks like this would be a good time to start.

I know the draft is a crap-shoot, but I'm tired of them taking QB's with huge question marks and expecting them to do great things.  Sanchez hardly played in college, and Geno played in a video game offense.  He was a guy that was always going to take several years if he ever develops at all.  I haven't looked at too many scouting reports on current QB's just yet, but it looks like this would be a good time to start.

Yup, I feel the same way.

This is why when everyone was throwing a party that we got Geno in the second round, and basically putting Idzik in Canton, I was not happy at all.

The high probability scenario is he is a waste of 2-3 years and will not amount to anything.

Personally, the older I get, the less tolerance I have for throwing away 2-3 years. This is why the draft pick means nothing, its the time that really matters. It will look disastrous if any of  Bridgewater, Manziel or Garappolo amount to a good QB.

agree 100%,, if we get a QB this time lets get a guy like mariota who has started 3-4 years etc with proven 'over time' success in major program..

FSUs jamies winston off field issues scare me

Yup, I feel the same way.

This is why when everyone was throwing a party that we got Geno in the second round, and basically putting Idzik in Canton, I was not happy at all.

The high probability scenario is he is a waste of 2-3 years and will not amount to anything.

Personally, the older I get, the less tolerance I have for throwing away 2-3 years. This is why the draft pick means nothing, its the time that really matters. It will look disastrous if any of  Bridgewater, Manziel or Garappolo amount to a good QB.

Yup (Bridgewater is my fave of group), so maybe we parlay our upcoming high pick and trade up to get the best qb in draft mariota

Yup (Bridgewater is my fave of group), so maybe we parlay our upcoming high pick and trade up to get the best qb in draft mariota

Exactly...do what it takes to get a QB in here.  Enough already.

He sure did.. I worry about Geno's continued lack of reading progressions..

Gannon:

Career highlights and awards

The funny thing about everything listed above is that it is all from 1999-2002.  The light came on late in his career and he was a journeyman prior to that. 

The funny thing about everything listed above is that it is all from 1999-2002.  The light came on late in his career and he was a journeyman prior to that. 

In other words, He did not show flashes of brilliance before that? Like an unbelievable arm and accuracy along with the boneheaded decisions??????

Yep.  The guy was in the league for like 12 years before he had a really good season. He was a 4th round pick that didn't stick with the Pats and when he was Geno's age he was sitting on his ass behind Tommy Kramer and Wade Wilson. 

Yep.  The guy was in the league for like 12 years before he had a really good season. He was a 4th round pick that didn't stick with the Pats and when he was Geno's age he was sitting on his ass behind Tommy Kramer and Wade Wilson. 

Yep...I think Geno would have benefited from sitting on the bench for a bit.  While it wasn't an option last season, they should have had an actual QB competion to see who the better player was.  There are some things happening around Geno that you can't blame him for, but poorly thrown passes when guys are open, and sprinting toward the other team's end zone when under pressure is on  him.

Yep...I think Geno would have benefited from sitting on the bench for a bit.  While it wasn't an option last season, they should have had an actual QB competion to see who the better player was.  There are some things happening around Geno that you can't blame him for, but poorly thrown passes when guys are open, and sprinting toward the other team's end zone when under pressure is on  him.

Most of it is on him.  He goes into a shell when things go badly and he handles the pressure worse.  That happens to lots of QBs.  Most (David Carr) never recover, some (Phil Simms) do. 

Most of it is on him.  He goes into a shell when things go badly and he handles the pressure worse.  That happens to lots of QBs.  Most (David Carr) never recover, some (Phil Simms) do. 

Definitely has too many moments where he looks like he does not belong on the NFL.  I'm sure they'll get it...eventually...smh

I'm so tired of the Jets being pathetic at QB, I'd almost want to see them spend their #1 Pick on the BAP QB every year till they find one, frankly.

Stupid, I know, but the Washington Football Club (and others) were not dumb when the picked RGIII AND Kirk Cousins. 

More chances = more chances for a Franchise Guy.

It's long LONG overdue for us at this point.

Cousins: 

2014 Season 61.3% 1217 Yards 8.1 YPA 8 TD 5 INT (+1 Fumble) 90.9 Rating

Geno:

2014 Season 58.1% 949 Yards 6.4 YPA 4 TD 6 INT (+4 Fumbles) 69.3 Rating

That's the Washing teams #2 folks.

Their #2 ffs.

I'm so tired of the Jets being pathetic at QB, I'd almost want to see them spend their #1 Pick on the BAP QB every year till they find one, frankly.

Stupid, I know, but the Washington Football Club (and others) were not dumb when the picked RGIII AND Kirk Cousins. 

More chances = more chances for a Franchise Guy.

It's long LONG overdue for us at this point.

maybe trade up for mariota (great arm, can run, smart w/progressions, 6'4", 212 lbs) and then draft another unpolished smart as hell big arm, big body kid in 4-5th round to cover ass. 

I sincerely think that something like that could signify a breaking point between many fans 30 and over and this *team.

To be honest the Jets are very close to becoming what the Knicks are to me right now. Irrelevant.

I am so tired of Inept Ownership, inept GM's, Inept coaches, Inept QB's, Inept OL, This is a friggin joke.

Someone brought up the Jets should spend money and bring in someone like Cowher or Gruden. Why the hell would either one of them want to come here. It is a no win situation. Your owner is douche, The Offense is in shambles, you play second fiddle to the Giants.

I don't know who is worse right now Dolan or Woody. They both just piss me off so much.

To be honest the Jets are very close to becoming what the Knicks are to me right now. Irrelevant.

I am so tired of Inept Ownership, inept GM's, Inept coaches, Inept QB's, Inept OL, This is a friggin joke.

Someone brought up the Jets should spend money and bring in someone like Cowher or Gruden. Why the hell would either one of them want to come here. It is a no win situation. Your owner is douche, The Offense is in shambles, you play second fiddle to the Giants.

I don't know who is worse right now Dolan or Woody. They both just piss me off so much.

I am 45 and have been a Jets fan since 1982 when I came to this country and met Stanley Waldemore #70 who turned out to be a great guy and spent time actually teaching me about the game. I was always enthusiastic, every single start of the year and as much as I love the Jets, it has been very easy to see how many countless mistakes they have made. At some point, they have to get serious about things. Cheap coaches...bad GMs....Horrible QB picks (Too bad about Pennington) Had he been less frail. god only knows what he could have done. I saw this happening on draft day with Geno...Just another second round project...I mean, have we not given up enough rebuilding years already? The new NFL is a place where you can get better and much more quickly than ever. Why not us?

The difference is that the Dolans aren't cheap. Woody absolutely is.

Wasn't Gannon an accident waiting to happen in his earlier years ?

Even at his worst, Gannon's worst season in terms of TD/INT ratio when he actually started double-digit games was 12/13...we pray Geno can rise to that level.

The difference is that the Dolans aren't cheap. Woody absolutely is.

Knowing Woody he is not going to aggressively go after a big-time coach or GM in the off-season.  He's probably going to keep Idzik and have him sign an assistant off Seattle's staff and that's it.  Maybe we draft a qb but more likely we sign a scrub like Matt Moore to "push" Geno.

Archived