Bugg

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kuznetsov on why Capitals will win Game 7 vs. Rangers: 'Our goalie is better'
by Ian McLaren 2h ago
w640xh480_REU_2226817.jpg?ts=1431348157

Adam Hunger / USA TODAY Sports

Henrik Lundqvist has his bulletin board material heading into Game 7 against the Washington Capitals.

Not only did Caps' forward Alex Ovechkin basically guarantee a win, but teammate Evgeny Kuznetsov's youthful exuberance may have gotten the better of him during his postgame comments following Sunday's Game 6 loss to the New York Rangers.

"What do you want to listen from my mouth? Our goalie is better," the 22-year-old said when asked how his team can escape New York with a series win.

That's quite an assertion considering Lundqvist is one of the truly elite goalies in the game, but it's not without some merit, as Braden Holtbyhas been up to the task and has posted better numbers in the series, albeit by the slimmest of margins.

GOALIE SHOTS GA SAVES SV% Henrik Lundqvist 187 11 176 .941 Braden Holtby 197 11 186 .944

Still, it may not be prudent to throw down this gauntlet, considering the Capitals have failed to close the deal after having a 3-1 series lead.

For his part, Kuznetsov has managed to beat Lundqvist twice in the first six games of the series, and one or two more in Game 7 would go a long way towards backing up his claim.

Another crazy stat:  The Caps have never won a series where they had a 2 game lead and their opponent ended up tying the series.

The Rangers play better D than Caps and, contrary to Kuznetsov, have the better goalie.

The thing is, the fact that Ovechkin and Kuz are talking means that the Caps are nervous.  They know their history.  Holtby definitely knows his own bad history in clinching games.

The key, IMO, is for the Rangers to attack early and, hopefully, get an early lead.  It will much harder for the Caps to mount a comeback in the Garden like they did in the 3rd period in DC last night.

I've got to admit, I never expected the Rangers to come back and tie the series, so I've kind of just passively been watching the past couple of games. Wednesday should be a lot of fun, but these one-goal games are killing me. I need a blowout. 

I've got to admit, I never expected the Rangers to come back and tie the series, so I've kind of just passively been watching the past couple of games. Wednesday should be a lot of fun, but these one-goal games are killing me. I need a blowout. 

13 straight one goal games in the playoffs for the Rangers continuing their record streak

Thought we had a blowout . No matter-need to come out with a  serious push and demoralize the Caps.It will be a 1 goal game no matter what.

Rangers thrive in close games, but they have a chance to put away the Caps like they did 2 yrs ago in game 7.  The Caps know they have a bad history in these situations.  Holtby and Ovechkin have blown these series before.

If Rangers attack early and can scratch out 2 goals early, they should be in great shape.  Hank is an interesting guy because much of his game is simply based on focus.  When he is focused as he is in these game 7s, he is incredible.

Rangers thrive in close games, but they have a chance to put away the Caps like they did 2 yrs ago in game 7.  The Caps know they have a bad history in these situations.  Holtby and Ovechkin have blown these series before.

If Rangers attack early and can scratch out 2 goals early, they should be in great shape.  Hank is an interesting guy because much of his game is simply based on focus.  When he is focused as he is in these game 7s, he is incredible.

I'm pumped for Game 7!

Tonite's Tampa-Montreal game is the undercard to tmw's matchup.

Ryan Callahan is out for game 6 (at least) with emergency appendix surgery

7th Game  playoff hockey- nothing more exciting in all of sports- not good for my blood pressure though

Although I'm not the biggest hockey fan in the world, I have to admit that anytime there's a game 7 in the NHL, it's must see TV for me. Especially when it involves my blueshirts. LGR!

Nerve-racking, draining, incredible.

I had a black-tie event tonight in Battery Park that I had to leave to see Rangers game. Went to see 3rd period and OT in a nearby bar in my tux.

Great, Great, Great game.....

The Rangers are about as mentally tough a team as I have ever seen. Nothing seems to phase to them no matter what the situation.

Rangers vs Tampa....Kinda had a feeling this was gonna be the showdown. So much recent history with the trade last year of Callahan to the Bolts for St.Louis and then Boyle and Stralman going over there over the summer.

I expect this series will be alot more wide open, hopefully this will get Nash and St.Louis cooking.

Bishop's been awesome

But he hasn't been as good as Holtby this postseason or during the regular season.  Holtby and Hank have bested Bishop in every category this postseason.

Don't get me wrong, Bishop is good, but he's not going to be a wall like Holtby was.

Tampa has owned Montreal this year.

I like the Rangers over the Caps in 7. Just think all the games Holtby has played this year will catch up with him here. Tampa over Montreal in 6. 

I think it is destined that the Rangers go up against Callahan, Boyle and Stralman for all the marbles.

Great call.

You win this thread.

What a series. Caps came with every dirty hit they could and Holtby played out of his mind. I thought we were doomed after that 1-3 start.

It doesn't get easier. Tampon Bay owned the Rangers in the regular season.

What a series. Caps came with every dirty hit they could and Holtby played out of his mind. I thought we were doomed after that 1-3 start.

I thought it was over after that onslaught in the 3rd period and then in overtime when it didn't leave ten feet of the Ranger's crease for a solid minute. Such a great playoffs so far. 

Anyone know when Zuc is gonna play?

Bishop's been awesome

Yes, he has.

You don't get this far in the playoffs without great goaltending.

Props to the caps. They played their asses off. The margin of victory could not have been slimmer.

I thought it was over after that onslaught in the 3rd period and then in overtime when it didn't leave ten feet of the Ranger's crease for a solid minute. Such a great playoffs so far. 

Anyone know when Zuc is gonna play?

NEW YORK – Amid wildfire internet rumors of the severity of Mats Zuccarello's injury — and the Rangers maintaining their policy of not commenting on injuries, especially in the playoffs — some information became available via Norway.

The Norwegian news agency VG Sporten spoke with the Rangers' winger's manager, Kevin Skabo, who said — translated to English — that Zuccarello has a "sharp concussion. Now everything is under control, but we do not know when he's back."

NEW YORK – Amid wildfire internet rumors of the severity of Mats Zuccarello's injury — and the Rangers maintaining their policy of not commenting on injuries, especially in the playoffs — some information became available via Norway.

The Norwegian news agency VG Sporten spoke with the Rangers' winger's manager, Kevin Skabo, who said — translated to English — that Zuccarello has a "sharp concussion. Now everything is under control, but we do not know when he's back."

Lol yea, I read that, and I'm still not entirely sure what that means. Hope he's getting healthy, it sure would be nice to have him back on the ice. 

I had a concussion years ago, without losing consciousness (like Zook). I also got hit in the jaw/ear, and had major headaches for a few weeks. It was nasty, and so is any concussion. I'm glad his jaw wasn't broken.

http://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2015/05/08/report-labels-mats-zuccarello-injury-sharp-concussion/27016885/

Here's the link to the full story.

The thing is those wins for Tampa came very early in the season. They were done with each other before I think December. The Rangers are a totally different team now.

Bishop has been outstanding but there have been moments where he has been shaky.

I would really love to see the Rangers get Zuccarello back. Haven't heard anything on his status though for the ECF.

Archived