Schefter: Harbaugh Situation

CrazyCarl40

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Harbaugh's TE coach/offensive consultant is one Eric Mangini. Which shouldn't be a surprise really; 2 guys who think they can still treat grown men like naughty children 24/7. Ask yourself why the team and the players have soured on Harbaugh. The screamer act can work only if you win it all like Bellicheat or that crotchety old f__ Coughlin, and it's wearing thin with him. Otherwise people get tired of that quick.

The Niners are looking for a top draft pick.The Jets would need to have their heads examined if they did that(aqnd really given the disarray, Robert Wood Johnson the 3rd needs a CAT scan, and pysch exam and possibly an enema at least).  And clearly if Harbaugh is leaving suspect Michigan will be the place. He can yell at kids for 4 or 5 years and then get a new batch every season.

Gotta laugh at Jets fans who think Harbaugh's is "overrated" or who would rather have another "unknown" HC.

Harbaugh would be the best HC the Jets have had since Belichick went undefeated in his tenure as HC of the NYJ's.

Very true, beggars should not try to be choosers...Yet here we are with all the know it alls coming out in full force

this franchise is in such disarray right now that $10M is cheap to regain credibility within the NFL.   $10M would make Harbaugh the defacto man in charge of the organization regardless of title.  

Right now there is total dysfunction from top to bottom and I'm not sure anyone inside or outside the building knows who is actually in charge and making decisions.  

Idzik just paid $6 million combined to Mike Vick and D'Mitrious Quitterson to make this team worse.  Yes, $10 mil and a couple picks for Harbaugh would be cheap.

The Jets job is more appealing than Michigan.

That's actually not a crazy thing to say.  Apparently the talent pool in the mid-west for football has been drying up the past couple of years which is why Rutgers for example was able to make a smooth transition to the Big 12.  And now that there is a playoff system in college football you can't just have a mediocre season and go to the JoesAmericanBar&Grille.com bowl and say you had a successful season.

That Hatbaugh's wife doesn't want to leave the Bay Area has been widely reported. They asked Jason Cole about Harbaugh to the Jets and his reply was laughter, followed by an explanation of how five other scenarios would have to fall through before the Jets would be allowed back in the picture.

Fortunately Jason Cole is not Jim Harbaugh.

The Raiders are the favorites however if the Jets offered a bigger package of money and picks I could see the 49ers biting.  Why should the 49ers make the Raiders, their cross-town competition for fans and attention, a better team?  It would be like the Giants trading us Eli Manning.  But hey I'm sure Idzik will just be allowed to do whatever he wants by our clueless owner and hire Dan Quinn and will win a combined 6 games the next three years.

Seriously?

Harbaugh took a 6-10 team to 3 straight NFCCG's, including going to a Super Bowl. He's 7-5 this year, and once again in playoff contention.

Jets haven't even sniffed the playoffs in the last 4 years, let alone having a winning season.

Harbaugh would be well worth the Jets #1 pick next year. It's not like the Jets draft All-Pro players when they have a top 10 overall draft pick.

Everything you said is agreeable except for Harbaugh being worth next year's 1st rounder. Thats going to be a top 5 pick. Jets would be stupid to give that up considering theyre in position to draft a QB.

Harbaugh's TE coach/offensive consultant is one Eric Mangini. Which shouldn't be a surprise really; 2 guys who think they can still treat grown men like naughty children 24/7. Ask yourself why the team and the players have soured on Harbaugh. The screamer act can work only if you win it all like Bellicheat or that crotchety old f__ Coughlin, and it's wearing thin with him. Otherwise people get tired of that quick.

The player's coach approach can fail also.  It's all about a HC knowing which buttons he can push on certain players.  Harbaugh apparently has had success with it otherwise he wouldn't have racked up over 40 wins in 3 seasons.  We're an organization that could use a strong leader.  

If we were to go the route of someone else who already has had HC experience, who would you prefer to Harbaugh?

Everything you said is agreeable except for Harbaugh being worth next year's 1st rounder. Thats going to be a top 5 pick. Jets would be stupid to give that up considering theyre in position to draft a QB.

Our 3rd rounder (# 67) and perhaps one other late rounder ought to be more than enough to pry Harbaugh away.  The Raiders will have an earlier pick than us so if they're going to cough up a 2nd to get him then you let them do so.  Everyone has a price but the Jets can't be stupid about it.

That's actually not a crazy thing to say.  Apparently the talent pool in the mid-west for football has been drying up the past couple of years which is why Rutgers for example was able to make a smooth transition to the Big 12.  And now that there is a playoff system in college football you can't just have a mediocre season and go to the JoesAmericanBar&Grille.com bowl and say you had a successful season.

The upside is also higher with a playoff system.  Harbaugh goes to Michigan, immediately wins a Big 10 title and gets into the playoffs and he's treated like a god.  Not so much if he consistently goes 9-7 and loses early playoff games here like other Jets coaches have done before.

The upside is also higher with a playoff system.  Harbaugh goes to Michigan, immediately wins a Big 10 title and gets into the playoffs and he's treated like a god.  Not so much if he consistently goes 9-7 and loses early playoff games here like other Jets coaches have done before.

The Michigan job is a no win situation. It's a program that will never come to grips that it isn't a big time program anymore. Not to mention snobby alumni with unrealistic expectations. ND is probably a more attractive job at this point.

This has zero chance of happening unless Johnson  makes some very smart decisions and takes agressive action as soon as the 49er season is completed.

What are the chances of Johnson making any future NYJ football related decisions that can be catagorized as smart?

So sad but true...:-(

Jason Cole is saying that Harbaugh would block any trade and force the 49ers to either fire him or let him coach out his deal, because he doesn't want them getting any value out of him. On the one hand that's hilarious, but on the other hand holy sh*t Harbaugh is such a dick.

Jason Cole is saying that Harbaugh would block any trade and force the 49ers to either fire him or let him coach out his deal, because he doesn't want them getting any value out of him. On the one hand, that's hilarious, but on the other hand, holy sh*t Harbaugh is such a dick.

Considering the owners tweet and Baalke's daughters tweet...can you blame him?

Jason Cole is saying that Harbaugh would block any trade and force the 49ers to either fire him or let him coach out his deal, because he doesn't want them getting any value out of him. On the one hand that's hilarious, but on the other hand holy sh*t Harbaugh is such a dick.

That's kind of awesome, and as a fellow spiteful prick I can totally relate.

Do not need another EGOTISTICAL head coach PASS

I could be wrong , but didn't he get to 3 NFC Championship games in a row? And reached a super bowl ? In the hardest division in the NFL. He's a great coach, doesn't sound overrated to me.

In 2011, he lost the NFC Title Game as a heavy favorite AT HOME to the 9-7 Giants.

In 2012, they won the NFC Title Game, but lost the Super Bowl as a heavy favorite.

In 2013, they lost in the NFC Title game to Seattle on the road ... tough game to win, I'll give you that, but still ... another loss in a big spot.

This year, his team is currently 7-5, sitting in 3rd place in his division, and until the last 2 weeks or so, they have not played all that well for most of the year.

He's obviously a good coach, I'm not denying that. But I do think he is a bit overrated, yes. As I said earlier, he's had arguably the most talent in the league in the 4 years he's been in San Francisco, and not only hasn't he won the Super Bowl, but he's lost some big games in which his team was favored to win. Good coach, yes. Great coach? I'm not willing to go that far yet. 

More importantly, he hasn't picked the players in SF, which is one of the reasons he wants to leave. So wherever he goes, he's going to want that power, and while he's proven he's a "good" coach, he has not proven he can evaluate talent, which is an even more critical function in a successful organization, which is why I would not take a chance on him here in that role.

Now if I could get him in conjunction with a GM who has proven he can evaluate talent, that might be different.

But I would not take a chance on him if he wanted to buy the groceries too.

Just my opinion.

Let's see how he does in his next job.

The Michigan job is a no win situation. It's a program that will never come to grips that it isn't a big time program anymore. Not to mention snobby alumni with unrealistic expectations. ND is probably a more attractive job at this point.

UMich is not what it used to be. It's not a great party school and it's tough academically and they don't have talent pool to draw from like they used to. And like you said they expectations will be sky high because of history.

UMich is not what it used to be. It's not a great party school and it's tough academically and they don't have talent pool to draw from like they used to. And like you said they expectations will be sky high because of history.

Hell, the Nebraska opening is more appealing imo.

And the snooty alumni would like nothing better than a fellow alum getting into the Final 4 every year. And off the debacles of the last decade Harbaugh will have a long honeymoon. 

Cannot say it enough-the Final 4(8 very soon) is going to be huge, 2nd only to the Super Bowl. 

I sorta agree, he inherited a stacked team, gave a one trick pony @ QB the keys and ran that team in the ground. I really don't see why people think he's this great coach. 

The Kaep hype is strange to me. 

He turned one of the worst franchises in the league into a Superbowl contender. Before Harbaugh, the 49ers were making up the numbers in the NFL; their last winning season was with Mariucci in 2002. The Singletary years were a disaster. The only reason why that franchise is worth a damn nowadays is because of Harbaugh.

The guy took a worthless bust of a QB in Alex Smith and turned him into a winner. He is doing the same with Kaepernick, an otherwise mediocre QB. I'm not even getting into what he did at Stanford...

Sure, they are having a "bad" season but there are several reasons for that, 1. his defense isn't as good without his two pro bowl LBs, Willis and Bowman, and 2. he has issues with the GM and the owner.

He also happens to be a hard ass disciplinarian; one that doesn't put up with any bullsh*t in the locker room. That can work against you when you aren't achieving results, as is the case right now. Chances are that he is dealing with some big egos that are growing tired of his approach; that is if you believe what the 'insiders' are saying. He is still 7-5, and in contention for a playoff spot.

Either way, he is the kind of coach that is desperately needed around here, the Jets locker room is filled with undisciplined pansies. Harbaugh will straighten sh*t out and the very least, won't be making the kind of retarded, game-losing mistakes that we see week after week from Wrecks and Morningwood.

I don't agree about the talent pool issue. Harbaugh would recruit like a king. If he could turn Stanford into a powerhouse with their strict standards academically, he will be fine at Michigan. And I'm sure the playoff situation wouldn't dissuade him either.

But I agree that the Jets are an attractive landing spot.... for the right guy. If you are:

• Ultra competitive
  • Have a chip on your shoulder always
  • Have a chip on your shoulder specifically for doing an outstanding coaching job in SF, and then getting run out of town
  • Would be interested in taking over a team with a top 5 pick in every round (maybe even top 3)
  • You like the idea of 50-60 million in cap room to play with
  • You're too smart and have too much pride to act like the town jester in front of the NY Media so they will like you
  • You have big balls

The key is to sweeten the trade deal by guaranteeing a massive contract and complete control. I'm sure his wife will come around and start to like NYC when she has 12 million a year to play with. No way he turns that down. And if we trade we don't have to get into a bidding war. Ideal price would be 2015 2nd, 4th and 6th rounder. But I'd even consider our 2016 1 and 2015 3rd.

No matter what we need our top 5 pick this year.

Stanford had lost 11 of 12 the season before Harbaugh arrived. The guy has a lengthy track record of  improving sh*tty teams. I can't believe people would even question his recruiting ability.

Very good news, if true.

I like Harbaugh, but I really don't see him as a long term solution. While a lot of people are pining for a disciplinarian, that particular shtick does get old fast with the players. It's a different league, and there really aren't that many of that type of coach around anymore. I do see him as a quality short term fix, however. Similar to the Parcells situation where he comes in, kicks ass, and rights the ship. That would be great, but I don't think it's worth a high draft pick (or more). The picks the Pats gave up for Belichick were well worth it for them, but I don't see Harbaugh lasting over a decade in any NFL job. Certainly not in New York under Woody Johnson.

I'd be more than happy to have Woody win a bidding war for him that only involves cash, though. It ain't my money.

Archived