Rex’s strategy for final few games before expected ouster

Ken Schroy

http://nypost.com/2014/12/04/rexs-strategy-for-final-few-games-before-expected-ouster/

Rex Ryan is a goner.

The Jets players know it. The fans know it. Ryan knows it.

Next year at this time, Ryan either will be in a broadcast booth somewhere or coaching another team. This situation has created an interesting dynamic for the end of the 2014 season. At 2-10, does it matter if you win a few more games or should the final month be about figuring out which young guys can play for whoever is the coach next year?

That is the fine line Ryan is now walking. He is a proud coach, who has looked beaten down after recent losses. Clearly, he wants to win some games, but what is really the difference if the Jets finish 2-14 or 4-12? Some fans believe they would be better off losing anyway to wind up with a better draft pick.

That debate has raged over the past week when the Jets put Geno Smith back at quarterback, fueling the idea they were in evaluation mode … before having him throw just 13 times against the Dolphins, showing that winning still matters to Ryan.

“I want to win,” Ryan said Wednesday. “I don’t want to be 2-14. I can tell you that much. It’s bad enough being 2-10.”

Ryan has talked about playing younger players down the stretch, and they did give some rookies a little more time against the Dolphins. But Ryan won’t tank the season to see how the draft picks look, nor should he.

He owes it to the players in the locker room still practicing and playing hard to do everything in his power to win games. That is exactly why he had the run-heavy attack Monday against Miami. You can debate whether that works in the NFL in 2014, but it nearly did for the Jets.

If Nick Folk looks like himself or Calvin Pace intercepts a pass that hits him in the hands, maybe everyone is praising Ryan and offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg for the game plan.

Instead, because they lost and the season went down the tubes months ago, it’s easy to pile on and make fun of the hapless Jets.

“I remember everybody was praising New England for running it however many times they ran it the other week and you have a first-ballot Hall of Fame quarterback in Tom Brady,” Ryan said, referring to the Patriots’ 42-20 victory over the Colts when they had 44 rushes. “They’re a genius, we’re not quite there.”

The Jets are the worst passing team in the NFL with Smith or Michael Vick at quarterback. Running is their best option to win games. Everyone seems to forget that in their win over the Steelers last month, Vick threw the ball just 18 times.

So, evaluating Smith should be a priority in these final four weeks, just not the No. 1 priority.

“The winning is what it’s all about,” Ryan said. “The evaluating part is something that you want to do. Yes, we want to get some younger players in and opportunities to look at [them]. At the same time, when you game plan you game plan specifically to be successful and to win the game.

“Take Geno, for instance. It’s not we’re going to throw it 50 times to see what we have if it’s not prudent to do so. If we think it’s in our best interest to throw the ball 50 times, then that’s great also.”

Ryan sent a clear message on Monday night. This is not September at Citi Field. He is not putting the Triple-A call-ups in to figure out who gets a spring training invitation. Ryan is on his way out as the Jets head coach. He has won 48 games in his six years as the Jets coach. If he has his way, he will get a few more before cleaning out his office.

“I remember everybody was praising New England for running it however many times they ran it the other week and you have a first-ballot Hall of Fame quarterback in Tom Brady,” Ryan said, referring to the Patriots’ 42-20 victory over the Colts when they had 44 rushes. “They’re a genius, we’re not quite there.”

Big difference Rex. Take a look at the score. I can't believe we are still talking about a guy so inept offensively and so incomplete as a HC. This season can't end quickly enough to suit me. The real season begins on Black Monday. Then Jets fans can possibly see a ray of hope. 

It's not just about playing young guys to see what they can do, some of these young guys in my eyes will be an improvemnt.  Rex often likes a few aging vets who are smart on his D but whose physcial skills have eroded to the point they can't make plays.  Pace is one of these.  The dropped int was a bit of a turning point but just as much was a play that the tv crew was praising the opposite side guard for coming over to block Pace on a pass play.  In reality any reasonable outside rusher would have been on the Qb and killed him before the blocker got there.

(This is my 1st post on these forums, I am yet another refuge from JetsInsider...greetings to all.)

One interesting thing about playing younger players is that sometimes the vets look better.  They sat Landry and then when the S shot up to make a few nice plays I was happy.  I was thinking it was good the youngsters were making an impact.  At least twice it turned out to be Landry.

Yeah I just watched the whole game last night. Pryor looks soft and looks like he wants to avoid contact. Really upsetting. Dawan is the only safety doing anything consistently

Yeah I just watched the whole game last night. Pryor looks soft and looks like he wants to avoid contact. Really upsetting. Dawan is the only safety doing anything consistently

Pryor was an unnecessary pick. Yet another wasted first round pick. I know he was rated pretty highly by Kiper and McShay but in the Jets system he is just another guy. Landry is better as is Antonio Allen and Jaiquann Jarrett. 

new-york-jets-logo.jpg

Pryor was an unnecessary pick. Yet another wasted first round pick. I know he was rated pretty highly by Kiper and McShay but in the Jets system he is just another guy. Landry is better as is Antonio Allen and Jaiquann Jarrett. 

new-york-jets-logo.jpg

Original sig... Lol

To be honest with you, I do believe it was an unnecessary pick, but for different reason. His main skill is run support, and now he's on a team with one of the best run defenses in the league. If we don't resign snacks we may see him start to step up. 

He has been playing out of position for a good part of this year, and hopefully we can grab an actual Free Safety in the offseason and allow Pryor to stay at SS. No excuse for being soft though. He has a lot to prove. 

Also:

**** you, Rex.

"Not quite there"??????

Not only is he a lousy HC, he's dumb as a door nail as well.

It's not just about playing young guys to see what they can do, some of these young guys in my eyes will be an improvemnt.  Rex often likes a few aging vets who are smart on his D but whose physcial skills have eroded to the point they can't make plays.  Pace is one of these.  The dropped int was a bit of a turning point but just as much was a play that the tv crew was praising the opposite side guard for coming over to block Pace on a pass play.  In reality any reasonable outside rusher would have been on the Qb and killed him before the blocker got there.

(This is my 1st post on these forums, I am yet another refuge from JetsInsider...greetings to all.)

Nice to see you posting here. Love the avatar!!!

I'll say it again: Rex Ryan is the worst thing to happen to this franchise since it was founded.

Also, I loathe our beat writers more than I can express in words; lobbying for Rex's job to the bitter end...

agree on both points

the man is the all time playoff wins leader. He's not perfect but, cmon. This statement is completely ludicrous.

What makes Rex worse than a guy like Kotite is the fact that there's still a sizable minority of the fanbase who still likes him, as do the NY beat writers (who constantly lobby on his behalf), making it much harder to move on from him when we should, and giving him far more power within the organization than he deserves. By contrast, a guy like Kotite is so unloved by all, that you can easily move on from him without a second thought. Conversely, with Rex, we made this buffoon the face of our organization.

What makes Rex worse than a guy like Kotite is the fact that there's still a sizable minority of the fanbase who still likes him, as do the NY beat writers (who constantly lobby on his behalf), making it much harder to move on from him when we should, and giving him far more power within the organization than he deserves. By contrast, a guy like Kotite is so unloved by all, that you can easily move on from him without a second thought. Conversely, with Rex, we made this buffoon the face of our organization.

I've been a fan my whole life and lived through Kotite, Yeah that was terrible. But somehow this is as bad possibly worse. Maybe because Parcells ain't showing up to save us this time. It's hard to find a reason to hope the Jets will get better. And I consider myself to be an optimist. You read the draft report after all. 

BTW The reason why fans like REX is because he's got history and he run's a D. That's at least something. What the F does John Idzik do all day? What team is he going to work for next? If you are going to loathe someone, that's the guy. These billboard guys got it right.  Did you see the press conference? 

the way i see it, Rex doesn't have all sorts of power. All of his coaches went with Pettine to CLE. He didn't draft a strong safety and a tight end. Rex can't set the starting lineup at QB the way he wants.

Idzik is completely strong arming him all year on the QB situation. Which you might applaud as some kind of way to get rid of Rex. But it's ugly to watch and embarrassing to the fans.

The reason why fans like him is because he's got history and he run's a D. What the F does John Idzik do all day? If you are going to loathe someone, that's the guy. These billboard guys got it right. 

the way i see it, Rex doesn't have all sorts of power. All of his coaches went with Pettine to CLE. He didn't draft a strong safety and a tight end. Rex can't set the starting lineup at QB the way he wants.

Idzik is completely strong arming him all year on the QB situation. Which you might applaud as some kind of way to get rid of Rex. But it's ugly to watch and embarrassing to the fans.

I've been a fan my whole life and lived through Kotite, Yeah that was terrible. But somehow this is worse. Maybe cause Kotite didn't blow 20 draft picks in 2 years. Or because Parcells ain't showing up to save us this time. It's hard to find a reason to hope the Jets will get better. And I consider myself to be an optimist. You read the draft report after all. 

The only reason we have an inept clown like Idzik as GM to begin with is because nobody credible would take the job with Rex attached - so there's something else we can blame on Rex Ryan.

Thanks for signing up and posting!

I've been a fan my whole life and lived through Kotite, Yeah that was terrible. But somehow this is as bad possibly worse. Maybe because Parcells ain't showing up to save us this time. It's hard to find a reason to hope the Jets will get better. And I consider myself to be an optimist. You read the draft report after all. 

BTW The reason why fans like REX is because he's got history and he run's a D. That's at least something. What the F does John Idzik do all day? What team is he going to work for next? If you are going to loathe someone, that's the guy. These billboard guys got it right.  Did you see the press conference? 

Parcells comment is interesting.  I read one of Parcells books and they talked about how NO ONE wanted the job when Coslett took it.  Coslett was only considered when about 4 people said NO interview desired.

Now, as was then, lack of leadership at the owner level is killing us.  

Archived