Former receiver Braylon Edwards says a 'good start' for Jets would be firing almost everybody

Ken Schroy

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2014/12/braylon_edwards_says_a_good_start_for_the_jets_would_be_firing_almost_everybody.html

FLORHAM PARK -- Former Jets wide receiver Braylon Edwards went on television again Tuesday night, and offered some comments about his old team.

The Jets are 2-10, and coach Rex Ryan and his entire staff are almost certainly on their way out. Will second-year general manager John Idzik join them in unemployment?

Edwards, appearing on SNY's "SportsNite," responded to a question from host Chris Carlin about whether the Jets should "wipe the slate clean" and make changes "from the guys making the decisions to the guys on the field." "I think that would be a good start for the New York Jets," Edwards said. "I think there are some positions that don't need to be touched. I believe their defensive line is amongst the best in the NFL, so I don't think they need to be moved at all. But they definitely need help in the secondary. They definitely need help from a coaching standpoint, not necessarily Rex, but their coaching staff. I wouldn't say clean house, but darn near close." Wait, so Edwards doesn't necessarily think the Jets should fire Ryan, but they ought to come "darn near close" to cleaning house? OK, then. The bottom line is, Ryan and his staff are trudging toward getting fired. The only question is: How many members of the front office will join them? There will be a house cleaning at One Jets Drive later this month. How thorough it is remains to be seen. But in case you were wondering, Braylon Edwards thinks the Jets have a good defensive line and they need help in the secondary.

Take his obvious/nonsensical comments for what they're worth. Edwards is trying to establish himself as a TV analyst. Former players attempting to do this often pop off with a "controversial" quote or two, so everybody can see they're going to "call it like they see it." And SNY is seemingly trying to promote Edwards as a talking head/pundit. On Wednesday, the network emailed a transcript of his quotes to reporters -- something networks regularly do, to promote their hosts, analysts and shows.

This isn't the first time this season that Edwards has popped off on SNY about the Jets. In October, he took a shot at Ryan's attitude and quarterback Geno Smith's leadership -- which rang hollow, because Edwards was far from a model teammate during his playing days. Edwards talked about Ryan again Tuesday on SNY, as he addressed this 2-10 season. "It is kind of really hard to watch, especially as someone who has played for Rex and really respects him as a man and as a coach," Edwards said.

This is an amusing blast of hot air, because back in October, Carlin asked Edwards if Ryan has too much belief in himself, and whether that confidence can get in the way for Ryan and the Jets sometimes. "It definitely can, and you're seeing it now," Edwards said then. "I feel like Rex has had so much success, from Baltimore to the Jets early on in his tenure there, that now that it's not going his way he does not know how to dial it back and simplify. He wants things to work his way so he can get the credit for it."

Ryan in October responded candidly to Edwards' critique of him, and dropped in a fantastic last word that still sounds about right: "What was Braylon doing? Trying to get a full-time job or something?"

I work midnights and just dealt with Braylon a few months ago. 4 AM in the morning, drunk off his ass and getting kicked out of a late-night diner for running his mouth to the waitress. Then he began arguing with me about the Constitution, all while wearing skinny jeans. Seriously....skinny jeans. What grown-ass man wears skinny jeans.

I work midnights and just dealt with Braylon a few months ago. 4 AM in the morning, drunk off his ass and getting kicked out of a late-night diner for running his mouth to the waitress. Then he began arguing with me about the Constitution, all while wearing skinny jeans. Seriously....skinny jeans. What grown-ass man wears skinny jeans.

Was he wearing loafers? And did he look light in them?

I will guaran-*******-tee you that BroadwayJoe12 owns skinny jeans and a pair of those mid-calf clam-diggers.

What can I tell you?  They frame my butt perfectly.

All Braylon Edwards ever did as a Jet was play his ass off and made things happen on the field and for this he gets all this hate? Wow 

This guy played his ass off while here. 

To me this was our biggest and most satisfying win since I've been a Jet fan. Straight Beast mode:

All Braylon Edwards ever did as a Jet was play his ass off and made things happen on the field and for this he gets all this hate? Wow 

I wanted to keep him but he usually made great plays to redeem himself after making boneheaded ones.

He had great physical skills but poor concentration.

Archived