Seminoles vs Ducks New Years Day Rose Bowl

Kleckineau

Who will shine Mariotta or Winston?

Maybe both have a stellar day in a shootout? That would be exciting.

Would a victory in this game make the QB a lock for the #1 pick?

I don't think the bold, but once upon a time the Rose Bowl did quite a bit to solidify Vince Young's stock. Winston probably has the most to win or lose, and the current general consensus is that Mariota is the best QB potentially coming out this year. I think Mariota could survive a bad performance better than Winston could.

Winston's stock depends on the unearthing of everything. I think Mariotta will be a late first rounder....I'm not convinced actual scouts have him as a top 5 lock. That Oregon offense is one read and his receivers are always wide open.

Jameis is the better NFL prospect if were throwing out the off the field stuff. 

Probably better off if no one is left and the groundskeeper at Florham Park runs the draft.

I mean really, a fukin horse stompin his foot could go 1 out of 12 in the draft for god sakes.

Groundskeeper Willie or Carl Spakler?  Who would be the better gm?

Winston's stock depends on the unearthing of everything. I think Mariotta will be a late first rounder....I'm not convinced actual scouts have him as a top 5 lock. That Oregon offense is one read and his receivers are always wide open.

Jameis is the better NFL prospect if were throwing out the off the field stuff. 

Off-the-field antics aside, Jameis is the better pro-prospect and I don't even think it's close, but that hasn't been a popular sentiment around here all season.

I'll go Spakler providing the Dali Lama is asst GM......

A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald... striking. So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one - big hitter, the Lama - long, into a ten-thousand foot crevasse, right at the base of this glacier. Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-lagunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Off-the-field antics aside, Jameis is the better pro-prospect and I don't even think it's close, but that hasn't been a popular sentiment around here all season.

LOL

Winston threw twice as many INT in the Gator game alone than Mariota has on the entire season. Dude is more of a lock to bust in the pros than any QB to ever declare.

If there's anyone with a brain in our scouting department, we take him off our draft board entirely.

LOL

Winston threw twice as many INT in the Gator game alone than Mariota has on the entire season. Dude is more of a lock to bust in the pros than any QB to ever declare.

If there's anyone with a brain in our scouting department, we take him off our draft board entirely.

We've gone over this: I don't care for Oregon's system, it's gimmicky and is predicated on pre-snap reads so as the QB can get the ball out quickly to its receivers, that's how it was designed and Mariotta runs it flawlessly.  I personally do not like QBs who have running as such a large fraction of their game, because when it's taken away, they flounder.  Look at every zone-read QB over the last three years except Wilson.  Mariotta has all the tools to be great, but so do Kaep and RGIII, it's whether he's willing to put in the work. He's not NFL ready and on that regards is significantly behind Winston, who's played in a pro-system his entire career and is one of the few QBs who can say that. 

More of a lock to bust than any QB ever? Get over yourself.

We've gone over this: I don't care for Oregon's system, it's gimmicky and is predicated on pre-snap reads so as the QB can get the ball out quickly to its receivers, that's how it was designed and Mariotta runs it flawlessly.  I personally do not like QBs who have running as such a large fraction of their game, because when it's taken away, they flounder.  Look at every zone-read QB over the last three years except Wilson.  Mariotta has all the tools to be great, but so do Kaep and RGIII, it's whether he's willing to put in the work. He's not NFL ready and on that regards is significantly behind Winston, who's played in a pro-system his entire career and is one of the few QBs who can say that. 

Forget Mariota, his bust factor isn't the issue here (and I could see why people have reservations regarding him, he's no Luck in that regard - but he's still at least shown the talent and upside to roll the dice on).

The issue is a guy in Winston who threw 17 picks in 12 games (playing in the ACC of all conferences), partly because of an elongated throwing motion that gives DBs ample time to get a read on where the ball is going (think Leftwich), partly due to a penchant for staring down his WRs, and partly because he's a poor decision maker with bad footwork. 

Another factor, for all the Tebow-esque "all he does is win" nonsense, is that not only is he playing in a weak conference, but he's playing with an all-star cast around him - Greene, O'Leary, Williams, the O-line full of 1st/2nd rounders (not even mentioning the studs on the defensive side) - that IMO 'made' him, far more than he made them. And in spite of all that, he still barely manages to beat bad teams week after week. I think his devotees such as yourself will be in for a rude awakening when he finally plays a good team in the Rose Bowl.

You wanna take a flyer on the kid in the 2nd like we did with Geno? I'd oppose it - adamantly, but at least I could understand it; if he turns out to be what I expect him to be, we wouldn't be forced to keep trotting him out there for the next 3 years. But taking him in the top 5 is outright lunacy.

The character issues aren't the reason to not draft him; they're merely the icing. We'll never remove the 'circus' stench from this team if we draft him. But I honestly fear we're going to draft him, since our buffoon of an owner cares only about the back pages, and Winston's certain to generate plenty of those. So from now until draft day, I'll be the loudest voice warning against what I believe will be a franchise crippling move.

And honestly, what grown man goes around a message board disliking every single opinion that disagrees with his?  Jesus dude. 

That's what the function is for. Otherwise, there'd only be the option to click 'like' or 'up vote' buttons.

so you think Winston is a better bet to put in more work ? The guys a boredrline idiot ..... Its time the Jets break the mold of signing idiots and sign someone with a brain Mariota is the only QB we should be thinking about drafting. If hes un attainable then we go for other needs like a number 1 W$R

You want to see the most like QB the Jets will draft? Forget the Rose Bowl, tune into the Las Vegas Bowl on Saturday December 20th, and watch Garrett Grayson QB Colorado St. Don't be surprised if he shoots up draft boards like Bortles did last year. Kid is a Senior, starting for 3 years, played a few games is freshman year. Check him out, kids arm is legit, and he is very athletic, shows great poise keeping eyes down field while stepping UP in the pocket to allude the pass rush, not bailing out of the pocket running around.

Don't forget the name, you will be hearing a lot about hiM in the next 5 1/2 months.

Eh. 'Noles are pretty good but I think we can stay with them. Our defense is the key. New DC is MUCH better than Allioti was. Don Pellum is a good planer. The problem is always in recruits. FSU can recruit NFL prospects out of there backyard. The Ducks have two 5 stars.in a decade. That usually makes the difference.

Archived